Here is your reminder. There are 5 Things that need a regular check-up in your home. Since a bunch of them could use it now, here is your list…
- Pest Control. It’s time to make sure your house is getting winterized against bugs and critters.. Mice and critters can get in even the smallest openings. Bugs will be looking for warmth and water, maybe even using the same openings that the critters use. (seeing a trend here?). One last note – it’s never a bad time to make sure your termite treatment is up to date.
- Air Conditioning. Oh wait, I meant Furnace. Another benefit of a spell of warmer weather is that it gives you more time to make sure your furnace is ready to handle the cold when it gets here. And it will, so don’t be caught with your guard down. Have your hvac system inspected and ready for the upcoming cold season, whenever it might decide to show up.
- Electrical. Just because we aren’t having summer thunderstorms anymore doesn’t mean your house still isn’t being bombarded by surges. They occur daily. Get a whole house surge protection system installed in your house (most likely for under $400). It will save you a lot of headaches. Also, might be a good time to look into a whole house generator. Be the house in your neighborhood that doesn’t lose power during the big ice storm.
- Plumbing. Having your plumbing inspected now could be the difference between burst pipes this winter or not having burst pipes. Your plumber will be happy to make sure all your cut-off valves are working correctly (they should be inspected regularly anyway. No really – they should be).
- Garage Door. I know, you are thinking “Really?” Well your electric garage door opener is very sensitive to power surges and making sure it is working correctly now will save you headaches later. Nothing more embarrassing than having to say the following words on the phone: “I will be late to the office today. I can’t get my garage door open.” It happens. More than you think.