WEATHER ALERT:

Download the WSB Radio App and Enable Push Notifications for Storm Updates

ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
63°
Thundershowers
H 68° L 44°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    63°
    Current Conditions
    Thundershowers. H 68° L 44°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    68°
    Today
    Thundershowers. H 68° L 44°
  • heavy-rain-day
    56°
    Tomorrow
    Chance of Rain. H 56° L 44°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National Govt & Politics
White House asks for $44 billion in hurricane relief, floats offsetting budget cuts
Close

White House asks for $44 billion in hurricane relief, floats offsetting budget cuts

White House asks for $44 billion in hurricane relief, floats offsetting budget cuts
Photo Credit: Jamie Dupree

White House asks for $44 billion in hurricane relief, floats offsetting budget cuts

The Trump Administration on Friday asked Congress to approve a third major disaster aid relief package for areas hit hard by hurricanes in 2017, which would bring total federal aid to nearly $100 billion, as for the first time, the White House proposed budget savings to offset some of that cost.

"This year's Atlantic hurricane season has resulted in historic, widespread destruction that continues to affect the lives of millions of Americans," said White House budget chief Mick Mulvaney in a letter to the Speaker of the House Paul Ryan.

In the same letter, Mulvaney that Congress has already approved over $53 billion in disaster relief this year, and that it's time to find a way to pay for some of that.

"The administration believes it is prudent to offset new spending," Mulvaney added, sending a list of plans that would save $14.8 billion by using budget funds from past years which were never spent, and by canceling other programs.

The extra $44 billion is far less than what has been requested by officials in Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico; just this week, Puerto Rico's Governor traveled to Washington, D.C. to personally request $94 billion in aid.

"We would just like to stress that this is a conservative estimate," said Gov. Ricardo Rossello of the disaster aid request, as his island continues to struggle in the aftermath of devastation from Hurricane Maria.

Even before the latest White House disaster request was official, it was getting less than rave reviews in the Congress.

"We've been continually told to wait, wait, wait," said Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) about new disaster relief, as Lone Star State officials asked in October for $19 billion just for the state, and say infrastructure repairs could total $61 billion.

Meanwhile, officials from Florida last month asked Congress for $27 billion in relief aid.

Cornyn said Thursday night that his staff had reported this latest request from the White House was "wholly inadequate."

The White House had a message for Texas on Friday.

"Texas has not put any state dollars into this process," said Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

"This request by the administration doesn’t come close to providing what is needed," said Sen. Bill Nelson (D-FL). "People are hurting and they desperately need our help, yet this request has no money to provide housing for evacuees and barely any money for Florida’s citrus growers. That’s unacceptable."

As for the budget cuts proposed by the White House - $14.8 billion would happen now, with an additional savings of $44 billion projected between 2025 and 2027 by extending the budget caps associated with the budget sequester.

c9f363e5-975b-490e-9fb0-851508bbc08d{ "/Pub/p8/CmgSharedContent/2017/11/17/Images/WPIMAGE_cmgwsbradiojamiedupree_disaster11_14541.jpg?uuid=t2yLEjTOEemxKaMrYufZxg", "", "fde64eb39f24488a88c1bc0eb91e63b8" "image" "" }

But holding down on spending between 2025 and 2027 certainly would not pay for hurricane aid being spent in 2017.

As for money that would be saved right now, here is the list of budget cancellations and changes that the Trump Administration would make to save $14.8 billion:

+ Emergency farm conservation activities from Hurricane Sandy - $204 million

+ Advanced Tech Vehicle Manufacturing Loan Program - $4.33 billion

+ Obama stimulus loan program for innovative tech - $479.4 million

+ Obama stimulus program for National Emergency health Grants - $23 million

+ Excess money at the Army Corps of Engineers - $210 million

+ Army Corps, flood control after Hurricane Sandy - $519 million

+ Agricultural Research Service - $212 million

+ Rural Economic Development Grants - $196 million

+ Rural Business Program - $25 million

+ Rural Energy Savings program - $8 million

+ Unspent money at Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service - $72 million

+ Watershed & Flood Prevention - $90 million

+ Farm conservation programs - $1.42 billion

+ Supplemental WIC funding - $800 million

+ Unspent education money in Student Financial Assistance $3.9 billion

+ Unspent funds at HHS - $560 million

+ Justice Department working capital fund - $410 million

+ State Department, Democracy Fund - $99 million

+ Federal transportation highway aid - $1 billion

+ EPA state and tribal assistance grants - $150 million

+ EPA Environmental Programs and Management - $100 million

Here is the full budget request for offsets on this latest hurricane aid plan.

Those offsets amount to $14.8 billion, far short of the $53 billion that's already been approved, without even including this latest request for another $44 billion.

Read More

News

  • Who will sit on the Iron Throne when “Game of Thrones” ends its run later this year? You can -- well, sort of. >> Read more trending news  A student at a Kentucky welding school built a 200-pound replica of the Iron Throne as a wedding gift for his wife, WLKY reported. He is also renting it out, the television station reported. Michael Hayes is a student at the Knight School of Welding in Louisville. He and his instructors spent nearly 110 hours over two months to craft the throne, which includes 400 swords, WLKY reported. The school funded the project, which cost $7,000. The throne is not made of iron or steel, but aluminum, otherwise “it would pretty much stay wherever it sat,' Hayes told the television station. Hayes said he made the throne as a wedding gift for his wife, Kacie Hayes. 'The show is one of the first things my wife and I bonded over,” Michael Hayes told WLKY. “It's a really important thing to us.” >>  Social media reacts to season premiere of ‘Game of Thrones’ The throne was a centerpiece at the Hayes’ wedding, and the couple struck a pose similar to ones by “Game of Thrones” characters Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen. 'Besides the awesome fact that my wife pretty much does look like Daenerys, especially when she's in her get-up,” Michael Hayes told WLKY. “It made it all the more awesome when I could see her sitting in the throne and doing her thing. It's just been awesome.” Hayes said if you want to rent the throne, email him at mqhayes1@yahoo.com, WLKY reported.
  • “I am in the middle of the expressway with a donkey,” an Illinois deputy said Wednesday, agitated as she called for backup. >> Read more trending news  The Cook County Sheriff’s deputy was not referring to a driver on I-90. She was seeking help after a real donkey escaped from a trailer shortly before noon, WBBM reported. Body cam footage showed the deputy trying to coax the donkey, named Dusty, to the side of the road, away from vehicles barreling down the interstate, the television station reported. “Come here, come here, sweetie,” the deputy told the donkey. She then radioed her dispatcher, telling officials that “You wanna call the state or something, somebody lost their donkey, county,” WMAQ reported. >> Two donkeys found mauled to death in Louisville According to the Cook County Sheriff’s Office Twitter account, Dusty, was safely returned to his owner.
  • An Australian man rescued his 14-month-old son Friday, after the child was dragged away from his bed by a wild dingo, 9News Australia reported. >> Read more trending news  The toddler was sleeping inside a camper on a remote area of Fraser Island in Queensland when two of the wild dogs entered the vehicle. One of them bit the child’s neck, Radio New Zealand reported. Paramedic Ben Du Toit said the dingo began dragging the child into the bush, 9News Australia reported. 'The parents awoke with the toddler crying and heard the crying getting further away from the campervan,' Du Toit told the network. The child’s father ran outside and rescued the boy from the jaws of the dog, CNN reported. The boy suffered two deep cuts to the top of his neck and minor cuts to his scalp, Radio New Zealand reported. He was airlifted to a hospital for treatment and was in stable condition, CNN reported. 'If it wasn't for the parents and their quick thinking and fighting off the dingoes, he probably would have had more severe injuries,' Lifeflight pilot Frank Bertoli said at a news conference.
  • A Texas woman was sentenced to 15 years in prison Wednesday after pleading guilty to stealing $1.3 million from the Fort Worth Stockyards Rodeo, using the money to finance vacations and two motorcycles, WFAA reported. >> Read more trending news  D’Ann Elizabeth Wagner, of Fort Worth, was a bookkeeper for the rodeo, the television station reported. She was sentenced in Tarrant County District Court. According to prosecutors, Wagner used a PayPal account on the rodeo’s website she set up and was linked to her personal information, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported. PayPal issued a debit card to manage the money, which Wagner used for her personal use, the newspaper reported. Investigators found more than 11,000 transactions between January 2014 and March 2017, totaling more than $1.3 million. She used the money for vacations and gambling, bought two Harley-Davidson motorcycles and made other unspecified purchases, WFAA reported. “This defendant stole more than six times the minimum threshold for this first-degree felony charge,” Tarrant County Assistant District Attorney Brooke Panuthos said in a statement. “She had 11,000 chances to stop her criminal behavior and stop stealing from employers who trusted her. She showed no conscience and no remorse for her actions.”
  • A Michigan man accused of intentionally shooting his 2-year-old son in the face was arraigned in court Thursday, MLive reported. >> Read more trending news  Michael Christopher Glance, 32, is charged with three counts each of assault with intent to murder and felony firearms, the website reported. He is being held in lieu of a $10 million bond, WILX reported. The incident occurred in Blackman Township on Tuesday, the television station reported. It happened while Glance allegedly was arguing with Nicole McCarthy, the boy’s mother, MLive reported. “For whatever reason, Mr. Glance decided to take his anger out on his 2-year-old child that day,” Jackson County Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Kati Rezmierski said in court. During an argument between the couple, Glance allegedly held a pistol to his son’s temple and pulled the trigger, Rezmierski said. The gun did not fire, she said. McCarthy took the boy to her car and put him in his car seat, MLive reported. She was getting ready to leave when Glance allegedly came out of the couple’s home with a shotgun and fired at their son, according to the website. The child was taken to a hospital and was in critical condition, WILX reported.
  • City council members in a Denver suburb voted to approve a name change for a neighborhood that has been called Swastika Acres, KDVR reported. >> Read more trending news  Cherry Hills Village City Council members Tuesday voted unanimously to change the subdivision name to Old Cherry Hills, the television station reported. Swastika Acres was named decades before the symbol was adopted by the Nazis, KDVR reported. However, the subdivision’s name is only apparent in real estate closing documents, according to the television station. “Some buyers are savvy enough to read the documents and really dig in and understand what their legal description of their property is,” Cherry Hills Village councilman Dan Sheldon told KDVR. “That’s the only way you’d know.” According to Sheldon, the subdivision name derived from the Denver Land Swastika Company, which divided the land into plots at the turn of the 20th century. “There was nothing wrong with (the name) at that time,” Sheldon told KDVR.