ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
69°
Partly Cloudy
H 83° L 59°
  • cloudy-day
    69°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 83° L 59°
  • cloudy-day
    83°
    Today
    Partly Cloudy. H 83° L 59°
  • cloudy-day
    80°
    Tomorrow
    Mostly Cloudy. H 80° L 61°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National Govt & Politics
Trump vows court fight over birthright citizenship, but plans for executive order unclear
Close

Trump vows court fight over birthright citizenship, but plans for executive order unclear

Trump vows court fight over birthright citizenship, but plans for executive order unclear
Photo Credit: Jamie Dupree

Trump vows court fight over birthright citizenship, but plans for executive order unclear

President Donald Trump on Wednesday again called for an end to birthright citizenship for those born in the U.S. to the parents of illegal immigrants, declaring on Twitter that the issue would ultimately be decided by the courts, but it wasn't clear if the President would actually issue any order on the subject in the days leading up to the 2018 mid-term elections, as Mr. Trump sparred with Republicans who weren't on board with his idea.

"I will keep our Country safe," the President said in a flurry of morning tweets. "This case will be settled by the United States Supreme Court!"

But for there to be a legal fight over how to treat children born in the U.S. to non-citizen parents who are in the country illegally, the President would have to issue an executive order making an explicit change in how the feds handle birthright citizenship, an issue that is governed by the 14th amendment to the Constitution.

Before leaving for a campaign stop in Florida, the President shrugged off that legal debate, saying if President Barack Obama could set up the DACA program for the children of illegal immigrants through an executive order, then the Trump Administration should be able to use executive actions to deal with the birthright citizenship question as well.

"I may very well do it by executive order," the President told reporters outside the White House.

It was not immediately clear if the President would issue such an order before the elections; for example, last week Mr. Trump repeatedly said he would release a new tax cut plan for the middle class before the elections, but no details have been forthcoming.

"The President is looking at all options," White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters.

While the President said Wednesday that 'many legal scholars agree' with his argument that the children of illegal immigrants who are born in the U.S. don't deserve citizenship, there are a large number of legal scholars and politicians who do not agree with Mr. Trump on that matter.

"If Trump could end birthright citizenship he he could issue an executive order saying the First Amendment doesn’t restrict his conduct as president," said constitutional expert Lawrence Tribe, as others argue an actual amendment to the Constitution would be needed to make such a change.

"If you don't like it, amend it," wrote Steve Vladeck, a law professor at the University of Texas.

A day after House Speaker Paul Ryan had said the President did not have the authority to change the 14th Amendment via executive order, the President rebuked the outgoing Speaker.

But it was clear within GOP ranks in the Congress, that others strongly agreed with Ryan, and not the President.

"I strongly disagree with the proposed executive order," said Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-FL), as the President faced new resistance from within his own party over the meaning of the 14th Amendment.

"All persons in the U.S., thus, except for accredited foreign diplomats in specified instances, are subject to U.S. laws, and, if born in the U.S., are U.S. citizens," Diaz-Balart said.

In conservative circles, there were some who warned that it was wrong when President Obama used executive actions on immigration - and that it's wrong as well for President Trump to do it, especially since this involves tinkering with the interpretation of the Constitution, not just a statute.

Even the Wall Street Journal editorial page - no bastion of liberalism - said the President was wrong.

"President Trump really, really wants to make the midterm election about immigration, and for a while it looked like he had an edge due to Democratic excess. But with this week’s pre-election vow to end birthright citizenship in America by executive order, Mr. Trump has driven into his own constitutional ditch," the paper's editorial board wrote.

Meanwhile, Democrats denounced the President's declarations, saying it was nothing more than political red meat for his Republican base of supporters.

"The Master of Distraction continues to foment bigotry to distract from his failed agenda, hoping his base rhetoric will motivate his base," said Rep. Lloyd Doggett (D-TX).

Read More

News

  • An Arkansas woman was convicted Tuesday in the shooting death of her husband last summer after finding he had ordered a pornography channel … again. >> Read more trending news  Patricia Hill, 69, was found guilty of second-degree murder in the death of Frank Hill, 65, last July in his shed, or “man cave,” behind the couple’s home in Pine Bluff, according to the Arkansas Democrat Gazette. Hill reportedly flew into rage after finding a charge on the couple’s cable bill for a porn channel after canceling a similar subscription a month earlier, the newspaper reported. Her attorney, Bill James, said Hill’s rage made her incapable of recognizing her actions the day of the murder. >> Trending: Shark attacks 65-year-old tourist paddle boarding in Hawaii in third attack there this year James said Hill was suffering from years of neglect and humiliation at the hands of her husband of 17 years and also had depression. A psychologist testified Hill was incapable of knowing right from wrong, the Gazette reported. Hill, who was originally charged with capital murder, is facing a sentence of up to 45 years in prison.  
  • A 65-year-old California woman is in stable condition after she was attacked by a shark Tuesday morning while paddle boarding off the island of Hawaii, according to news reports. >> Read more trending news  The attack happened in South Kohala as the woman from Glendale paddled several hundred yards offshore in Anaehoomalu Bay, CNN reported. She made it to shore after she was bitten on her right upper thigh and airlifted to North Hawaii Community Hospital. A spokesman for the Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources told CNN the woman was bitten by a 5-foot blacktip reef shark, which left a wound about 12 inches in diameter. Spokesman Dan Denison said the attack was highly unusual and there’s “no record of this shark species biting anyone in Hawaii.” >> Trending: Opossum found living in 7-year-old’s bedroom for 3 days before parents find it  This was the third shark attack in Hawaii so far this year. No one has died in a shark attack in Hawaii since 2015.
  • A 26-year-old Vermont man has been arrested for his role in multiple hit-and-run crashes and driving drunk, New Hampshire State Police say.  >> Read more trending news On Tuesday afternoon, troopers in New Hampshire received several reports of a car driving erratically on I-93 northbound between Concord and New Hampton. The driver of a 2015 Hyundai Sonata was reportedly weaving lane to lane, tailgating, and passing in the breakdown lane.  Soon after, a trooper saw the car driving erratically in Holderness and pulled him over in Campton. The trooper then learned this vehicle had also struck two vehicles, causing heavy damage, and had left the scene of both collisions.  The driver, 26-year-old Robert Harris of St. Johnsbury, Vermont, did field sobriety tests and was then arrested and charged with DWI-subsequent, conduct after an accident, reckless driving and resisting arrest or detention for fighting with the trooper during the booking process. The investigation is ongoing. Anyone who may have witnessed these incidents is asked to call New Hampshire State Police at (603) 223-8767.
  • A potentially deadly insect that bites people around the mouth is making its way farther north from South and Central America. >> Read more trending news    Doctors call the insect, known as triatoma sanguisuga and nicknamed the 'kissing bug,' a silent killer.  Officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said while the bug sucks your blood, it defecates, which leaves behind a parasite that can lead to the potentially deadly chagas disease.  Last year, the CDC warned the bugs were on the move and had been spotted as far north as Delaware, Pennsylvania, Marilyn and North and South Carolina.  >> Related: Dangerous ‘kissing bug' illness spreading across Southern U.S. Doctors said symptoms typically include severe redness and itching, but can be as serious as irregular heartbeats that can cause sudden death, problems with digestion, and an increased chance of having a stroke.  They also said, after a couple days, you may not feel anything unusual for years.  Officials said most people only experience minor symptoms. >> Related: ‘Kissing bug' native to NC; little cause for concern, experts say The CDC said homeowners should remove trash, wood, and rock piles from around their home and clear out any bird or animal nests. 
  • The story of a dog with Memphis Animal Services that became viral sensation now has a happy ending. >> Read more trending news Oliver is a stray who loves food and treats. In fact, he loves food so much that he became attached to his bowl at MAS. Oliver's story went viral when it was posted on Facebook by a group named Wilson, Rosie, and Pickle Pete. The post was shared more than 9,000 times and got international attention. Oliver was at risk of being euthanized, but his story led to an outpouring of support. It was even picked up by TheDodo.com. The outlet detailed his journey and his eventual adoption on April 16. In case you're wondering, Oliver got to his new bowl with him.
  • The Boy Scouts of America could be hit with more sex abuse claims after new court documents were released Tuesday related to a sex abuse case in Minnesota.  >> Read more trending news  The documents, released by a firm that represents sex abuse victims, reveal there may have been as many as 7,800 Boy Scout troop leaders and volunteers who allegedly sexually abused more than 12,000 victims. That's four times what the organization revealed more than a decade ago. In Georgia, the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) sex abuse cases have taken center stage on debates over how the state should handle childhood sex abuse claims.  Now, local attorneys want to get their hands on details that will help support their cases.  Atlanta-based attorneys Natalie Woodward and Darren Penn represent nearly two dozen Boy Scout sex abuse cases in Georgia since 2012.  'We're talking about decades and decades and decades and decades of conduct that was literally concealed,' Penn said. >> Trending: Shark attacks 65-year-old tourist kayaking in Hawaii in third attack there this year Woodward and Penn learned this week that there are reportedly more than 100 documented cases of abuse in Georgia, and thousands of pedophile Boy Scout leaders nationwide have been reported from the early 1940s to 2016. That's four times the number previously reported by the organization. 'Every one of those perpetrators, they represent, most often, more than one child,' Woodward said. 'That's the part I think that will shake anybody to their core to hear that. And then to think it took until 2019 to get into the open.' The new allegations came this week from a New York law firm that revealed names tied to cases in the Northern District of New York The testimony came from an auditor who was hired by the BSA during an unrelated child rape case.  >> Trending: Baby rhino alert: Zoo Miami welcomes birth of rare, endangered baby rhino 'This is information coming from a Boy Scouts representative. This isn't even information that a third party or an independent group has been able to look over these files,' Woodward said. 'We're still hearing about it from them and we're yet to see the documents ourselves.' Penn said that, although he's glad the allegations are coming out now, it's way too late.  'I think what they owe and what they ought to be stepping up to the plate right now is: What do we do for all of the victims that have been created over all these years?' Penn said.  Carr learned that the Boy Scouts of America is moving to dismiss the Georgia cases in the Cobb County and Athens. The organization released a statement in response to the allegations saying: 'We care deeply about all victims of child abuse and sincerely apologize to anyone who was harmed during their time in Scouting. We believe victims, we support them, and we have paid for unlimited counseling by a provider of their choice. Nothing is more important than the safety and protection of children in Scouting and we are outraged that there have been times when individuals took advantage of our programs to abuse innocent children.  'Throughout our history, we have enacted strong youth protection policies to prevent future abuse, including mandatory youth protection trainings and a formal leader-selection process that includes criminal background checks. Since the 1920s, we have maintained a Volunteer Screening Database to prevent individuals accused of abuse or inappropriate conduct from joining or re-entering our programs, a practice recommended in 2007 by the Centers for Disease Control for all youth-serving organizations.  'At no time have we ever knowingly allowed a perpetrator to work with youth, and we mandate that all leaders, volunteers and staff members nationwide immediately report any abuse allegation to law enforcement.' >> Trending: Popular gym offers free workouts for teens this summer  'Scouting programs today are safe,' said Erin Eisner, a chief strategy officer for the BSA and the mother of two Scouts. 'If I felt for a second that scouting was unsafe, I would not be associated with nor advocate for the BSA.' The Associated Press contributed to this report.