ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
90°
Mostly Clear
H -° L 69°
  • cloudy-day
    90°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Clear. H -° L 69°
  • clear-day
    Today
    Mostly Clear. H -° L 69°
  • clear-day
    91°
    Tomorrow
    Mostly Clear. H 91° L 71°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National Govt & Politics
President Trump defends record, rebukes author of anonymous op-ed
Close

President Trump defends record, rebukes author of anonymous op-ed

President Trump defends record, rebukes author of anonymous op-ed
Photo Credit: Jamie Dupree

President Trump defends record, rebukes author of anonymous op-ed

President Donald Trump sternly defended the work of his administration on Wednesday, rebuking the anonymous author of a piece in the New York Times which bluntly said that top officials were doing all they could to keep the President from making major errors in judgment.

"Can you believe it? Anonymous. Meaning gutless - a gutless editorial," the President said to reporters gathered for an event involving Mr. Trump and a group of sheriffs at the White House.

White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders labeled the author a 'coward,' saying the person who wrote the piece, "should do the right thing and resign."

"The individual behind this piece has chosen to deceive, rather than support the duly elected President of the United States," Sanders wrote in a statement sent to reporters, which echoed the President's attacks on the "failing" New York Times.

The story, which the New York Times said came from a senior administration official, tracked some of what had been reported in a new book by Bob Woodward, relating stories of staffers doing their best to keep President Trump in line.

"I work for the president but like-minded colleagues and I have vowed to thwart parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations," the sub-headline roared.

"The dilemma — which he does not fully grasp — is that many of the senior officials in his own administration are working diligently from within to frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations," the anonymous person wrote about the President.

In an editor's note, the New York Times said it knew the person's identity.

"We believe publishing this essay anonymously is the only way to deliver an important perspective to our readers."

Dropping as it did in the midst of a confirmation hearing for President Trump's pick for the Supreme Court, Judge Brett Kavanaugh, it spurred a lengthy round of speculation on who might have written it, and why.

"SABOTEUR INSIDE WHITE HOUSE," blared the headline on the Drudge Report.

Both the President and the White House said the article was part of a broader political effort to obscure successes under the Trump Administration.

"We're doing a great job," the President told reporters. "The poll numbers are through the roof, our poll numbers are great, and guess what? Nobody's going to come even close to beating me in 2020, because of what we've done."

"We've done more than anybody ever thought possible, and it's not even two years."

Earlier, the President had blasted the Woodward book, which painted an unflattering picture of the inner workings of the White House.

"It's just more fiction," Mr. Trump told reporters. "The book is total fiction."

Read More

News

  • It was a chaotic scene Tuesday evening in McDonough, Georgia, as officers and shoppers rescued a child who had been left in a hot car. The rescue happened in a Walmart parking lot. Cellphone video WSB-TV obtained shows shoppers flagging down employees and calling 911 when they noticed the young boy asleep in the vehicle with its windows closed. >> Read more trending news This happened as temperatures in metro Atlanta reached around 90 degrees, making it the hottest day of the year so far. A witness who shared the video said the child looked to be about 2 years old and he was sweating. Everyone helped to get water on the child while police waited for a parent to show up, which happened around 7:15 p.m. A different video, taken later, shows police questioning the father, identified as Christopher Urgent, in the parking lot. Witnesses said the man was inside the store with two other children. McDonough police eventually arrested Urgent on a cruelty to children charge. “There ain’t no excuse for leaving no kid in no car, especially in the heat out here,” shopper Noel Echevarria said. The young boy was taken to a hospital by ambulance to be checked out further, but witnesses said he seemed to be OK.
  • From a vigil in a Manchester city square to a social media tribute from Ariana Grande, the 22 victims of the Manchester Arena bombing are being remembered and honored two years after the tragedy. >> Read more trending news  The victims lost their lives May 22, 2017, when a suicide bomber detonated a device in the foyer of Manchester Arena after Grande performed. Wednesday, hundreds of mourners gathered at St. Ann’s Square in Manchester to observe a moment of silence, The Guardian reported. Thousands of floral tributes were placed at the site, and people wrote messages in chalk on the ground. Family of the victims attended at invite-only memorial service at St. Ann’s Church, the BBC reported. To mark the anniversary, Ariana Grande posted a bee emoji against a black background to her Snapchat story. The worker bee is a symbol of Manchester, according to The Guardian. The pop star didn’t offer any words, but her mother, Joan Grande, tweeted that Manchester is “with me always, in my heart and in my mind'. While performing at Manchester Arena on Tuesday, K-Pop group Blackpink dedicated their song “Stay” to the victims. A statement was projected behind the group that read, “‘It’s a privilege to be performing here in Manchester, especially at this time. ‘We send our love and prayers to the friends and families who fought through the hard times. We are here for you. #OneLoveManchester,’” Metro reported. At 10:31 p.m. -- the exact time of the attack -- bells will ring out from several buildings around the city.
  • Kevin Hunter Jr., the son of talk show host Wendy Williams and her estranged husband, Kevin Hunter, has reportedly been arrested after punching his father at a store in New Jersey. “Entertainment Tonight” reported that officials with the West Orange Police Department confirmed Hunter Jr. was arrested. >> Read more trending news  According to police, the 18-year-old college student was charged with simple assault Wednesday. “Kevin Jr. was a bit aggressive towards his father and his father tried to control the situation,” an unnamed source said of the incident, according to “Entertainment Tonight.” “Kevin Jr. then punched his father in the face and the cops were called sometime later. Kevin Sr. and Kevin Jr. have always had a great relationship. Not everything is as it appears and Kevin Sr. looks forward to moving past this.” Related: Wendy Williams divorcing husband, manager Kevin Hunter amid rumors of affair “(Kevin Hunter Jr.) was arrested and charged with assault yesterday by the West Orange police. He was given a summons,” a spokesperson for Essex County Family Court told Us Weekly in a statement. “Basically this is a matter that will be handled in family court. … He was processed in West Orange and then released to appear on a summons at a later date.” In a statement to TMZ, Hunter Sr. said, “I love my son very much and I will not be pursuing this matter legally. Things are not always how they appear.” TMZ provided more details on the alleged incident, claiming that unnamed sources said Hunter Sr. and Hunter Jr. were arguing over Hunter Jr.’s demand for spousal support. According to the website, Hunter Sr. put his son in a chokehold and Hunter Jr. punched him in the nose to break away. Related: 'Trying to right some wrongs': Wendy Williams' estranged husband Kevin Hunter issues apology Williams filed for divorce from Hunter Sr. in April, citing “irreconcilable differences between the parties which have caused the breakdown of the marriage for a period of six months” and “no reasonable prospect of reconciliation,” according to “ET.” The divorce came after months of speculation that Hunter Sr. had an affair and rumors that he has a child with his mistress.  Related: Wendy Williams says she’s dating again, ‘rediscovering’ her love of men On her talk show, Williams has spoken about dating again, saying she’s “rediscovering” her love of men and living in New York, where her show is filmed. “I am working on my divorce pleasantly,” she said on her May 14 show.  “You don’t just throw away 25 years lock, stock and barrel. I’ve gotta tell you something right now, as a mature single -- almost single -- woman, I will tell you this: We do have our son, and he is away at college and he’s home right now. He’s home for college break. He sees me, he sees his dad.”
  • The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Homicide Unit is investigating an infant girl found dead in a van at a day care Wednesday afternoon. >> Read more trending news Police have Ewing's Love & Hope Preschool & Academy on Lenox Avenue roped off. JSO Assistant Chief of Major Crimes Brian Kee said police were called to the scene just after 1 p.m. The child was found in a car seat in the back of the day care van not breathing. Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department personnel tried reviving the child, who was later taken to Wolfson Children's Hospital. Police estimate that the child was in the van, which was parked in the sun from around 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Kee said the girl's death appears to be heat-related. Kee said the day care picks up some children to transport them to the day care while some are dropped off by their parents. The day care has about 14 children total. No other children were hurt. Investigators are meeting with the state attorney's office to determine what charges are appropriate.
  • President Donald Trump on Wednesday walked out of a planned meeting to discuss infrastructure issues with Democrats, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, amid frustrations over ongoing investigations into his presidential campaign and administration. >> Read more trending news Trump walked out of the meeting after three minutes, opting instead to hold a news conference in the Rose Garden. >> From Cox Media Group's Jamie Dupree: Trump tells Dems - no legislating until investigations are stopped “I walked into the room and I told Sen. Schumer, Speaker Pelosi, ‘I want to do infrastructure, I want to do it more than you want to do it,’” he said. “‘But you know what, you can’t do it under these circumstances, so get these phony investigations over with.’” Democrats said the walkout seemed scripted. Pelosi called it all 'very, very, very strange' and said she was praying for Trump and the nation. The meeting at the White House had been set weeks ago, after Trump and the Democratic leaders agreed to talk further about a possible $2 trillion infrastructure proposal. Trump was due to provide the Democrats his ideas on how to pay for it. Schumer said when Trump 'was forced to say how he would pay for it he had to run away.' >> From Cox Media Group's Jamie Dupree: Pelosi accuses Trump of being 'engaged in a cover-up' Earlier Wednesday, after a closed-door hearing with Democrats, Pelosi accused Trump of being “engaged in a cover-up” aimed at blocking oversight related to special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian election meddling and its possible ties to Trump and his campaign officials.  Mueller completed his probe last month after 22 months of investigation. In a report released earlier this month, Mueller said his team found no evidence that Trump or his campaign officials colluded with Russia to win the election. He did not, however, make a determination around whether Trump obstructed justice in connection to the investigation. >> More on Robert Mueller's investigation Trump has denied all wrongdoing and consistently framed Mueller’s investigation as an expensive and politically motivated “witch hunt” aimed at hurting his presidency.  The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • A man accused of stealing $80,000 from a woman he met on a dating website was arrested Tuesday in Tennessee. John Martin Hill, 34, allegedly told the Alpharetta, Georgia, woman he was a millionaire and convinced her they were in love. Within a week of meeting on Match.com, they agreed to marry, according to officials with the Gwinnett County Police Department. The money was was purportedly going toward the purchase of their first home. Police spokeswoman Cpl. Michele Pihera said that once the money changed hands, the woman did not hear from him again. Police released a photo of Hill on Tuesday morning and asked for the public’s help to locate him. Before the day was out, he was behind bars in Franklin, Tennessee, Pihera said in a Wednesday news release. Hill faces a charge of theft by deception in Gwinnett County. Since announcing the charge, Pihera said police have heard from a few other women who said they were in a relationship with Hill or knew another woman who was. >> Read more trending news  Police are hoping the Alpharetta woman’s misfortune will be a cautionary tale for others who seek love online. “When meeting someone online, be very cautious sharing personal information, financial information, or cash with someone in the early stages of a relationship,” Pihera said in a statement. “These types of con men are very good at manipulating their victims. They tend to say everything that a woman wants to hear.” According to investigators, the scheme started March 27. Hill and the Alpharetta woman exchanged messages on the dating site and arranged to meet in person later the same day. The proposal came next. “During their short romance, he convinced her that they were in love and wanted to buy a house together,” Pihera said. “They went house hunting and selected a home they were interested in.” Related: Man meets Georgia woman on dating site, defrauds her out of $80K, police say The woman thought her $80,000 contribution would help with a down payment on the home and buy the couple some furniture. Police said she didn’t know Hill was already living in an apartment in Duluth, Georgia, with another woman and a child.  Investigators learned Hill has changed his name more than five times in the past three years and is accused of committing similar acts in Virginia, Delaware, Maryland and New Jersey. They did not quantify the number of cases connected to Hill.  According to officials with the Franklin Police Department, officers tracked Hill to a Marriott hotel Tuesday night, acting on a tip. When they confronted him, Hill allegedly darted into a hotel conference room and hid under a table. He came out on officer’s orders and was arrested.  Hill, who also has a listed address in South Carolina, is being held in the Williamson County Jail in Tennessee in lieu of a $500,000 bond, according to Franklin Police Department officials. He is expected to be extradited to Georgia, officials with the department said.  “By sharing this story, it is our hope that he is not able to victimize any other women using this scam,” Pihera said in a statement. “We are thankful that the victim in our case came forward and reported this crime,” she said. “If any other women have been victimized by Hill, we encourage them to contact their local police department.”