Partly Cloudy
H 83° L 59°
  • cloudy-day
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 83° L 59°
  • cloudy-day
    Partly Cloudy. H 83° L 59°
  • cloudy-day
    Mostly Cloudy. H 80° L 61°

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National Govt & Politics
2.0 is nice, but I'm still searching for my real voice

2.0 is nice, but I'm still searching for my real voice

2.0 is nice, but I'm still searching for my real voice
Photo Credit: Jamie Dupree

2.0 is nice, but I'm still searching for my real voice

As a battery of top officials were addressing reporters in the White House briefing room on Thursday afternoon about the question of possible foreign interference in the 2018 elections, instead of quickly filing stories about how the Trump Administration is trying to prevent a repeat of Russian actions from the 2016 campaign, I was hundreds of miles away to again see a top neurological expert in hopes of recovering my voice.

My voice struggles of the past two years have been diagnosed as "Tongue Protrusion Dystonia," a rare neurological condition where my tongue misbehaves, not allowing me to properly form words and sounds.

And that's a problem when your main job is that of a radio news reporter.

"The tongue is a very complicated muscle," said Dr. Hyder Jinnah, who is treating me at the Emory University Brain Health Center in Atlanta.

Three months ago, Dr. Jinnah gave me two Botox shots in the hopes that it would slow my tongue, and keep it from popping out of my mouth when I talk, leading to a situation where I can only get out one or two words, often in a strained and strangled sound.

Unfortunately, there didn't seem to be any change from that first round of shots, so I was back at Emory for another round, hoping for a more positive result.

"We usually start with a conservative dose the first time," the doctor said, as he used a special instrument to listen for the sound of the needle going into the right muscle area.

"That little rumbling noise you hear is muscle of your tongue talking to us," the doctor said at one point.

If you look at the picture, you will note that the doctor was injecting Botox into my tongue - not by going into my mouth - but by coming up from underneath.

"Most people don't think about getting after the tongue from under the chin, but that's actually the easier way to do it," the doctor told me.

And once again, there was a camera crew on hand to record my treatment efforts.

"Maybe one time it can just be the two of us here," Dr. Jinnah said with a smile.

Earlier in the day, I had gone over to our company's corporate headquarters in Atlanta, to meet the person who helped find the outfit in Scotland that built a voice app for me to use on the radio, which we are calling "Jamie Dupree 2.0."

The first time I had been to Emory in March to see Dr. Jinnah, my day had started with an unexpected summons from a top bigwig at Cox Media Group - I actually thought I was about to lose my job - but instead, I was given the news that Mike Lupo had found a company called CereProc.

Over the last few months, I had been on numerous conference calls with Mike, emailing furiously back and forth with him about the voice development, but this was the first time I was able to thank him in person for helping me to get back on the radio.

Like the good guy he is, Lupo said he was only doing his job when someone above our pay grade asked him to look into how they could develop a computer generated Jamie Dupree voice.

"He said, 'Stephen Hawking talks; how does that happen? Can you look into it?'" Lupo wrote me in an email.

Sitting with a mutual friend in the company cafeteria, Lupo and I quickly discovered some intersections in our lives, as both of us had lived in the Detroit area in the past - while I delivered the Detroit Free Press as a kid, he worked for the same newspaper as an adult, at one point covering the automotive industry, which was where my father worked for a quarter century.

I shook his hand earnestly to say 'thanks' - not only for helping to find a way to get me back on the radio - but also for something which had clearly saved my job.

Also as part of my visit to Atlanta, I stopped in at the flagship radio station of the Cox Media Group, WSB-AM/FM, where I have been the Washington Correspondent for almost 30 years - seeing my colleagues, and showing off my new Jamie Dupree 2.0 voice.

"I thought it was going to be a big machine," said afternoon anchor Chris Chandler with a big smile, as my colleagues seemed genuinely amazed at how I can just type words into a special text-to-speech program, and watch it spit out my computer generated story.

Like our listeners, my colleagues are happy to have me back on the air after an almost two-year absence, even if it isn't my real voice.

"I can hear you in that voice," one of them said.

The reaction from our listeners has been very positive - and that was reinforced when I went out to my company's corporate HQ.

It was raining hard as I drove into the visitor's parking area, even though I had a badge which could get me into the employee parking garage.

One of the security aides came out and wondered why I was showing her an employee badge at the visitors entrance.

"Because I don't work here," I said slowly, struggling to get out every word and sound with my voice.

She looked at my badge. She looked at me.

"Jamie Dupree," she said, with the tone of someone who was trying to figure out why the name was familiar.

"Jamie Dupree," she repeated. "Jamie Dupree 2-point-oh," she then said with a smile, waving me through.

A few hours later, I was waiting at the airport for a delayed flight home, when a woman named Becky came up to say hello, telling me how much she enjoyed hearing my 2.0 voice.

"You can totally tell it's you," she said. "My husband and I love to listen to you."

Encounters like those with my listeners give me hope about my real voice.

"We keep our fingers crossed," Dr. Jinnah had said earlier in the day.

And so do I.


Read More


  • An Arkansas woman was convicted Tuesday in the shooting death of her husband last summer after finding he had ordered a pornography channel … again. >> Read more trending news  Patricia Hill, 69, was found guilty of second-degree murder in the death of Frank Hill, 65, last July in his shed, or “man cave,” behind the couple’s home in Pine Bluff, according to the Arkansas Democrat Gazette. Hill reportedly flew into rage after finding a charge on the couple’s cable bill for a porn channel after canceling a similar subscription a month earlier, the newspaper reported. Her attorney, Bill James, said Hill’s rage made her incapable of recognizing her actions the day of the murder. >> Trending: Shark attacks 65-year-old tourist paddle boarding in Hawaii in third attack there this year James said Hill was suffering from years of neglect and humiliation at the hands of her husband of 17 years and also had depression. A psychologist testified Hill was incapable of knowing right from wrong, the Gazette reported. Hill, who was originally charged with capital murder, is facing a sentence of up to 45 years in prison.  
  • A 65-year-old California woman is in stable condition after she was attacked by a shark Tuesday morning while paddle boarding off the island of Hawaii, according to news reports. >> Read more trending news  The attack happened in South Kohala as the woman from Glendale paddled several hundred yards offshore in Anaehoomalu Bay, CNN reported. She made it to shore after she was bitten on her right upper thigh and airlifted to North Hawaii Community Hospital. A spokesman for the Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources told CNN the woman was bitten by a 5-foot blacktip reef shark, which left a wound about 12 inches in diameter. Spokesman Dan Denison said the attack was highly unusual and there’s “no record of this shark species biting anyone in Hawaii.” >> Trending: Opossum found living in 7-year-old’s bedroom for 3 days before parents find it  This was the third shark attack in Hawaii so far this year. No one has died in a shark attack in Hawaii since 2015.
  • A 26-year-old Vermont man has been arrested for his role in multiple hit-and-run crashes and driving drunk, New Hampshire State Police say.  >> Read more trending news On Tuesday afternoon, troopers in New Hampshire received several reports of a car driving erratically on I-93 northbound between Concord and New Hampton. The driver of a 2015 Hyundai Sonata was reportedly weaving lane to lane, tailgating, and passing in the breakdown lane.  Soon after, a trooper saw the car driving erratically in Holderness and pulled him over in Campton. The trooper then learned this vehicle had also struck two vehicles, causing heavy damage, and had left the scene of both collisions.  The driver, 26-year-old Robert Harris of St. Johnsbury, Vermont, did field sobriety tests and was then arrested and charged with DWI-subsequent, conduct after an accident, reckless driving and resisting arrest or detention for fighting with the trooper during the booking process. The investigation is ongoing. Anyone who may have witnessed these incidents is asked to call New Hampshire State Police at (603) 223-8767.
  • A potentially deadly insect that bites people around the mouth is making its way farther north from South and Central America. >> Read more trending news    Doctors call the insect, known as triatoma sanguisuga and nicknamed the 'kissing bug,' a silent killer.  Officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said while the bug sucks your blood, it defecates, which leaves behind a parasite that can lead to the potentially deadly chagas disease.  Last year, the CDC warned the bugs were on the move and had been spotted as far north as Delaware, Pennsylvania, Marilyn and North and South Carolina.  >> Related: Dangerous ‘kissing bug' illness spreading across Southern U.S. Doctors said symptoms typically include severe redness and itching, but can be as serious as irregular heartbeats that can cause sudden death, problems with digestion, and an increased chance of having a stroke.  They also said, after a couple days, you may not feel anything unusual for years.  Officials said most people only experience minor symptoms. >> Related: ‘Kissing bug' native to NC; little cause for concern, experts say The CDC said homeowners should remove trash, wood, and rock piles from around their home and clear out any bird or animal nests. 
  • The story of a dog with Memphis Animal Services that became viral sensation now has a happy ending. >> Read more trending news Oliver is a stray who loves food and treats. In fact, he loves food so much that he became attached to his bowl at MAS. Oliver's story went viral when it was posted on Facebook by a group named Wilson, Rosie, and Pickle Pete. The post was shared more than 9,000 times and got international attention. Oliver was at risk of being euthanized, but his story led to an outpouring of support. It was even picked up by TheDodo.com. The outlet detailed his journey and his eventual adoption on April 16. In case you're wondering, Oliver got to his new bowl with him.
  • The Boy Scouts of America could be hit with more sex abuse claims after new court documents were released Tuesday related to a sex abuse case in Minnesota.  >> Read more trending news  The documents, released by a firm that represents sex abuse victims, reveal there may have been as many as 7,800 Boy Scout troop leaders and volunteers who allegedly sexually abused more than 12,000 victims. That's four times what the organization revealed more than a decade ago. In Georgia, the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) sex abuse cases have taken center stage on debates over how the state should handle childhood sex abuse claims.  Now, local attorneys want to get their hands on details that will help support their cases.  Atlanta-based attorneys Natalie Woodward and Darren Penn represent nearly two dozen Boy Scout sex abuse cases in Georgia since 2012.  'We're talking about decades and decades and decades and decades of conduct that was literally concealed,' Penn said. >> Trending: Shark attacks 65-year-old tourist kayaking in Hawaii in third attack there this year Woodward and Penn learned this week that there are reportedly more than 100 documented cases of abuse in Georgia, and thousands of pedophile Boy Scout leaders nationwide have been reported from the early 1940s to 2016. That's four times the number previously reported by the organization. 'Every one of those perpetrators, they represent, most often, more than one child,' Woodward said. 'That's the part I think that will shake anybody to their core to hear that. And then to think it took until 2019 to get into the open.' The new allegations came this week from a New York law firm that revealed names tied to cases in the Northern District of New York The testimony came from an auditor who was hired by the BSA during an unrelated child rape case.  >> Trending: Baby rhino alert: Zoo Miami welcomes birth of rare, endangered baby rhino 'This is information coming from a Boy Scouts representative. This isn't even information that a third party or an independent group has been able to look over these files,' Woodward said. 'We're still hearing about it from them and we're yet to see the documents ourselves.' Penn said that, although he's glad the allegations are coming out now, it's way too late.  'I think what they owe and what they ought to be stepping up to the plate right now is: What do we do for all of the victims that have been created over all these years?' Penn said.  Carr learned that the Boy Scouts of America is moving to dismiss the Georgia cases in the Cobb County and Athens. The organization released a statement in response to the allegations saying: 'We care deeply about all victims of child abuse and sincerely apologize to anyone who was harmed during their time in Scouting. We believe victims, we support them, and we have paid for unlimited counseling by a provider of their choice. Nothing is more important than the safety and protection of children in Scouting and we are outraged that there have been times when individuals took advantage of our programs to abuse innocent children.  'Throughout our history, we have enacted strong youth protection policies to prevent future abuse, including mandatory youth protection trainings and a formal leader-selection process that includes criminal background checks. Since the 1920s, we have maintained a Volunteer Screening Database to prevent individuals accused of abuse or inappropriate conduct from joining or re-entering our programs, a practice recommended in 2007 by the Centers for Disease Control for all youth-serving organizations.  'At no time have we ever knowingly allowed a perpetrator to work with youth, and we mandate that all leaders, volunteers and staff members nationwide immediately report any abuse allegation to law enforcement.' >> Trending: Popular gym offers free workouts for teens this summer  'Scouting programs today are safe,' said Erin Eisner, a chief strategy officer for the BSA and the mother of two Scouts. 'If I felt for a second that scouting was unsafe, I would not be associated with nor advocate for the BSA.' The Associated Press contributed to this report.