ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
75°
Partly Cloudy T-storms
H 92° L 75°
  • cloudy-day
    75°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 92° L 75°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    92°
    Today
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 92° L 75°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    91°
    Tomorrow
    Chance of T-storms. H 91° L 74°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National Govt & Politics
Feds back off demand for information about anti-Trump Twitter account
Close

Feds back off demand for information about anti-Trump Twitter account

Feds back off demand for information about anti-Trump Twitter account
Photo Credit: Jamie Dupree

Feds back off demand for information about anti-Trump Twitter account

Twitter on Friday dropped a one day old lawsuit against the Department of Homeland Security, after the feds gave up a legal effort to force the social media giant to reveal who was behind a Twitter account that has often been critical of the Trump Administration on immigration policy.

The dispute arose in mid-March, when the U.S. Customs and Border Protection service served a legal summons on Twitter, "demanding that Twitter provide them records that would unmask, or likely lead to unmasking, the identity of the person(s)responsible for the @ALT_USCIS account."

Twitter argued in a lawsuit filed Thursday that such a move was well outside the legal responsibility of Customs and Border Protection, especially since there had been no evidence presented of any criminal activities associated with that account.

A day after that lawsuit was filed by Twitter, the CBP dropped its legal request.

The matter did not go unnoticed on Capitol Hill, as Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) sent a letter to the acting head of the CBP, labeling the move a "disturbing threat to free speech."

"I request that you conduct an internal review into why and how CBP issued the summons and report on the results of that review," Wyden wrote in his letter.

The Oregon Democrat said he feared that the feds were trying to find out if this Twitter account was being run by a current employee of the Department of Homeland Security, "in order to take retaliatory action or otherwise squelch the exercise of First Amendment" rights.

Jamie Dupree
Close

twitter18

Jamie Dupree

This account is one of a number of social media accounts that have sprung up since President Trump took office; they often make negative and/or mocking comments about changes being made inside certain agencies by the Trump Administration, and the President himself.

It's not clear if any of them are run by actual federal employees, or are just part of a broader effort to push back against Mr. Trump.

Twitter's argument is simple - unless they are accused of a crime, there is no reason the federal government should be able to force the release of material that would identify those who run the accounts.

It was not immediately clear why this arm of the Department of Homeland Security asked for this information - when the request was made on March 14, the agency tried to force Twitter to produce "user names, account login, phone numbers, mailing addresses, and I.P. addresses" of those behind @ALT_USCIS.

Read More

News

  • A Kentucky man was diagnosed with a flesh-eating infection after he went camping along the Green River. >> Read more trending news According to WKYT, Jonathan Metcalf and his family, who live in Lancaster, visited the river on Memorial Day weekend. But the trip came to an early end when Metcalf started to feel uncomfortable, dizzy and feverish after camping and swimming in the area. After the family returned home, Metcalf developed a painful sore on his thigh that eventually prevented him from walking, he told the TV station. He then went to the doctor, who said Metcalf was suffering from necrotizing fasciitis, WKYT reported. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the rare, life-threatening infection typically occurs when so-called 'flesh-eating bacteria' enter a person's system through an open wound.  Metcalf said surgeons ended up removing a 6-inch piece of his thigh. He remained in the hospital for two weeks and still needs a skin graft, he told the TV station. 'This never would have crossed my mind something like this could have hit me,' Metcalf told WKYT. Read more here.
  • The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation has issued an endangered child alert for a 1-year-old boy who went missing from Putnam County.  >> Read more trending news According to the TBI, 1-year-old Lachlan Thomas Capo was last seen Wednesday with Margot Walker.  Investigators said Walker may be driving either a blue 2002 Volvo with Tennessee tag 4K7-7F9 or a black 2002 Volvo with Tennessee tag B77-71L.  It is unclear what Walker’s relationship is to the child. Capo was described as 3 feet tall with brown hair and brown eyes. He weighs 30 pounds. Anyone with information regarding the child’s whereabouts is asked to call the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office at 931-528-8484. – Visit Fox13Memphis.com for the latest on this developing story.
  • A 29-year-old mother and her three young children were found stabbed to death at a Columbus, Georgia, apartment Wednesday night, according to multiple media reports. >> Read more news stories Jerriciah Spellman and her children were killed near 20th Avenue and Cusseta Road, Muscogee County coroner Buddy Bryan told Columbus-based news station WTVM.  The children were 3 years old, 1 year old and approximately 4 or 5 months old, the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer reported. The incident happened sometime Wednesday evening at the Elizabeth Canty apartment complex. No details on what events led to the deadly stabbing have been released. Columbus police officers discovered the quadruple homicide scene after receiving a tip earlier in the day at a separate scene, WTVM reported. Investigators are talking to a person of interest, but no suspects have been named, the news station reported. Anyone with information is asked to call 911. – Visit AJC.com for the latest on this developing story.
  • Investigators in Georgia are trying to identify a woman whose body was found in the Chattahoochee River. >> Read more trending news They are hoping a new sketch will help produce leads in the case. WSB-TV’s Matt Johnson went to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation’s headquarters in DeKalb County, where the agency’s sketch artist gave him the drawing of the woman in hopes that it will get them one step closer toward figuring out who she is. A boater found the woman's body Wednesday along the Chattahoochee River, south of Interstate 20 in Fulton County. Detectives believe she is 5 feet, 5 inches tall, weighs about 110 pounds and is between 22 and 35 years old. “Tell us who she is so that she can get the proper burial with her family,” said Detective Jamie Gore with the Fulton County Police Department. Investigators said the woman was wearing distinct earrings, and police believe she may have been near the river for the Fourth of July. “I have her clothing, which was just a sports bra, a black sports bra. She had on two pairs of underwear; one was white (and) black, and one was a lighter cotton color, boy shorts style,” Gore said. The medical examiner has not been able to make a determination for cause of death, but there are no signs of obvious foul play. Police told Johnson they have searched through missing people reports and fingerprint databases but have not had any luck. Now, they hope this sketch by the GBI will be the final piece they need to solve the puzzle. “There has to be someone who misses her or who knows who she is,” Gore said. Anyone with information can call Fulton County police or Crime Stoppers at 404-577-8477.
  • At least 12 people are believed to be dead and dozens injured after a man set fire to a well-known Kyoto animation studio Thursday, authorities said. >> Read more trending news According to the Mainichi, the man, whose name has not been released but is believed to be in his 40s, poured a flammable liquid and started the blaze at Kyoto Animation about 10:30 a.m. local time. At least 70 people were inside, but most were able to get out of the building, The Associated Press reported. Officials said seven people are confirmed dead and 16 presumed dead, the AP reported. At least 35 people were hurt, with some in critical condition, authorities said. The suspect was hospitalized for injuries, as well, officials told the Mainichi.  A fire official told the AP that as many as 18 people were unaccounted for. The studio has produced popular shows such as 'Lucky Star,' 'K-On!' and 'Sound! Euphonium.' – The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • An electric scooter rider was hit and killed by a CobbLinc bus in Midtown on Wednesday night, police confirmed. Just before 10:30 p.m., officers responded to the accident at the intersection of West Peachtree Street and 15th Street, Atlanta police spokeswoman TaSheena Brown told AJC.com. The man was trapped under the bus when firefighters arrived. He died before firefighters were able to extricate him. He has not been identified. The bus was turning right onto 15th Street when it hit the man, according to police. Surveillance footage from the nearby Arts Center MARTA station showed the victim on a scooter before the crash, but it did not capture the actual collision. A scooter was found in the street on the bus’s passenger side, Capt. William Ricker told Channel 2 Action News from the scene.  IN-DEPTH:  After period of leniency, Atlanta police now enforcing scooter law “We're hoping that the actual footage from the bus itself, which has cameras, will paint the real story of how it took place,” he said. So far, police have not been able to determine who was at fault.  The collision is believed to be the second deadly accident involving electric scooters in the city of Atlanta.  RELATED: Victim ID’d in first deadly e-scooter accident in Atlanta The first on May 17 also happened near a MARTA station. A man on a Lime scooter was hit and killed while leaving the parking lot of the West Lake station in west Atlanta. The driver of a Cadillac SUV is facing charges in that crash. MORE: Driver arrested in Atlanta’s first deadly e-scooter accident Considered an alternative transportation mode for short trips, electric scooters have been growing in popularity in urban areas. The narrow, two-wheeled devices can be rented through smartphone apps that charge by the mile. At least four rental companies operate in Atlanta, including California-based Lime.  It is not known what kind of scooter the man was riding in Wednesday night’s incident.  We are working to learn more. — Please return to AJC.com for updates. In other news: