On Air Now

Listen Now


H -° L 52°
  • heavy-rain-night
    Current Conditions
    Showers. H -° L 52°
  • rain-day
    Showers. H -° L 52°
  • windy-day
    Windy. H -° L 25°

News on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National Govt & Politics
No easy answers in the search for my voice

No easy answers in the search for my voice

No easy answers in the search for my voice
Photo Credit: Jamie Dupree

No easy answers in the search for my voice

Over the last 18 months, hardly a day goes by without a listener or reader asking about my health and my voice, and when I will be back on the radio talking about politics, the Congress and President Trump. Even more questions came my way this week after a veteran lawmaker went to the House floor to give a speech about my medical predicament, publicly offering welcome words of encouragement.

"Mr. Speaker, I would like to talk about Jamie Dupree," Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) began, as she detailed some of the troubles that I have been experiencing since the spring of 2016, when my voice suddenly went AWOL after I spent much of the first four months of the year on the road, covering the race for President.

Since then, I have been off the air, still covering the same stories for my company's radio stations behind the scenes, while also expanding my internet footprint through my blog and social media.

What is wrong with my voice?  It's complicated.

My official diagnosis is a rare neurological condition known as "Tongue Protrusion Dystonia" - for some unknown reason when I try to talk, my tongue pushes forward out of my mouth, and my throat clenches, leading to a voice that is strangled and strained, as it is a struggle to string together more than a few words at a time.

Let's just say this - other than some simple one syllable words - it is not a voice that is suitable for radio, let alone for normal social conversation.

Monday evening, my kids were decorating our Christmas tree when word arrived that Ros-Lehtinen - whom I have covered since she was first elected to Congress in 1989 - was going to say a few words about me on the floor of the House.

It was truly an honor to have a member of Congress mention me on the floor of the House; I could only wish that it was under better circumstances.

Ros-Lehtinen told me on Tuesday that she was surprised by the outpouring of support on Twitter.

And it was gratifying to see comments from listeners, readers, colleagues and friends, all urging me to keep trying to get my voice back.

"You still have a voice," Craig Caplan of C-SPAN said to me about my tweets and blogs, as I struggled to get out more than a few words to him in the press gallery.

"I had no idea," said Carl Hulse, veteran reporter and Chief Washington Correspondent for the New York Times, who in the Speaker's Lobby asked the logical questions of what medicines and what treatments might be available.

The answer is - I'm still searching.

I've been to doctors at Johns Hopkins University. Georgetown University. The Cleveland Clinic. George Washington University. Emory University. I've seen individual ENT's. GP's. Neurologists. Voice experts. Speech pathologists. And more.

I've had a series of botox shots in different places in my larynx; one set administered in January made it difficult for me to swallow for about eight weeks.

And unfortunately, none of those botox treatments resulted in any improvement in my voice, though my friends liked to joke about how I had a neck with no wrinkles.

In April, I drove to Ohio to see the head of the Voice Center at the Cleveland Clinic. When I asked him to recommend a specialist to see, his response was simple - what I have is such a rare condition that he could not name any doctors who might treat me.

That was a long drive home.

By June of this year, I was at a medical dead end. I had become one of those medical mysteries that you read about in the paper.

The Mayo Clinic had rejected me for treatment, I wasn't getting anywhere with major university hospitals, and I was being ping-ponged back and forth between ENT/voice specialists and neurologists.

All of my doctors and specialists were clearly doing the best they could. I don't fault any of them.

I'm just looking for an expert who evidently does not exist at those institutions.

About that time, one of my cousins introduced me to a local neuro-psychiatrist, who agreed to consider my case. We've tried a few things, and my voice has made a small bit of progress in recent months.

"I think you're getting a little better," my doctor said last Friday with a note of optimism in her voice, as I sat in her office and struggled to clearly, and slowly, say more than a few words in a row.

As my doctor says, I'm basically trying to learn how to talk again, how to re-wire some new neurological pathways from my brain to my larynx.

But the truth is, a year and a half after my voice suddenly started to have troubles, I still haven't solved my medical troubles which have silenced me on the radio, undermined my job security, and made it difficult just to be a regular dad.

In the halls of Congress, I'm sure a number of my colleagues know I have a voice problem, and just don't say anything, but I bet there are a lot of other journalists who have no idea that there is a veteran radio reporter in their midst who can't say much.

Think about it - a radio reporter who can't talk - it sounds ridiculous, and that's what makes this all the more frustrating.

The outpouring of support from lawmakers has been great.

"Anything else I can help you with?" asked Rep. Doug Collins (R-GA) on Tuesday, after a quick Q&A with him had been overrun by a number of other reporters.

"I want to make sure you can keep your job," Rep. Frank Lucas (R-OK) told me a few months ago, telling me to bring my reporter's notebook with written questions at any time.

"Are you okay?" a concerned Rep. Alcee Hastings (D-FL) said to me recently as he grabbed me by the shoulder like a close friend would, his face showing concern.

Sen. Bill Nelson (D-FL) sent his prayers, after I handed him a note to explain why I couldn't talk.

Rep. Jody Hice (R-GA) stopped with me in one of the underground tunnels from the Capitol to pray for my voice to return.

Rep. Mike Turner (R-OH) kept worriedly asking about my health, recounting how a close friend had suddenly been hit with a terrible medical diagnosis.

From the past, former Sen. Sam Nunn (D-GA) sent me a hand written note, expressing his hope that my voice would return.

And there are many more examples.

An old college friend from Atlanta printed up some cards that I carry around with me at work, telling people that I can't speak, but I could still use their help to do my job.

And now with another Christmas season almost here, I'm still furiously working in the halls of Congress, feeding interviews to my company's radio stations and blogs to our newspapers and other media properties.

And I'm still trying to talk.

Hopefully, 2018 will bring about a different story line.

Thanks to everyone who has written to express their concern or ask what's up with my voice. I wish it was something simple to fix.

If you have any ideas, you can send me a direct message on Twitter, @jamiedupree.


Read More


  • He didn’t just lose his mother. Kincaid Eaker lost his second chance at life. >> Read more trending news  Kincaid was born with a genetic disorder called polycystic kidney disease, the same disease that claimed his older brothers as infants, but medical treatment saved his life. His mother, Audra Eaker, knew the time would come when her son would need a donated kidney, and she’d already told him she was ready.  But in December 2016, Audra was shot five times in the head by her husband, Darrell, as they drove along Highway 92 in Woodstock, Georgia.  “What am I gonna do?” Kincaid, then 10, said on the day of the funeral, according to his grandmother. “My mom was going to give me my kidney. What am I gonna do now?” Nearly three years later, his mother’s best friend is on a mission to help find a donor for Kincaid and raise money to help the family with any expenses. “This is how I can honor the best friend I ever had,” Brandy Love told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.  Brandy and Audra met two decades ago. Their then-husbands worked together and traveled frequently. Kincaid arrived in October 2006, joining his sister Olivia, who the Eakers had adopted. “She had him in the ambulance on the side of I-75 near Delk Road,” Love said.  Kincaid was born before his mother could make it to the hospital.  The two women raised their children together, and photographs documented their yearly beach trips.  “I was supposed to end up in the rocking chair with her, not anyone else,” Love said.  Kincaid and his older sister, Olivia, are now active teenagers, living with grandparents just outside of Knoxville, Tennessee. The tragedy is behind them, but never forgotten, their grandmother Elaine Touton says. Touton is Audra’s mother.  Darrell Eaker, Kincaid’s father, was convicted of killing Audra in Cherokee County, Georgia, and sentenced to life in prison, plus 16 years, without the possibility of parole for the domestic violence. “Considering everything they’ve lost, their mom and dad and their school, their friends and their house,” Touton says. “They’re thriving. And I’m so thankful.” Kincaid’s kidney function has declined in recent weeks, Touton said. His doctor at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta has told the family the 13-year-old needs a transplant and he’s been placed on the list to receive a donor. Kincaid’s kidneys are currently functioning at only 14%. He is continuing to be treated by a doctor at Egleston.  Although he’s able to attend school, where he plays the saxophone in band, and swim laps with his team, Kincaid tires easily and must take medication frequently, his grandmother says. He doesn’t like to be the center of attention. So far, no one has been a match for Kincaid. But his family believes it’s just a matter of time. Until then, the family is focused on moving forward and overcoming the unimaginable tragedy.  “God says he’s going to make beauty from ashes, and he already has,” Touton said. “I know the Lord is going to take care of everything. I just know he will.” Help for Kincaid A Go Fund Me page titled “Kincaid needs a kidney” has been created to assist Kincaid’s family.  Emory University Hospital is conducting the search for a kidney. Here is the donor webpage. On Dec. 7, a fundraiser will be held in Woodstock to support Kincaid. See this site for details. 
  • A Georgia sheriff's deputy is facing a murder charge after a deadly shooting in Athens, authorities said. >> Read more trending news  According to Athens-Clarke County police, Madison County sheriff's Deputy Winford 'Trey' Terrell Adams III was arrested early Monday after 26-year-old Benjamin Lloyd Cloer was found with multiple gunshot wounds Sunday evening in the 6000 block of Old Jefferson Road. Cloer was taken to a nearby hospital, where he died. Police did not say how Adams and Cloer knew each other. An investigation is ongoing. Adams, 32, 'was off-duty and in plain clothes at the time of the incident,' police said in a news release. The shooting stemmed from a domestic dispute, according to the release. In a statement posted on Facebook, officials with the Madison County Sheriff's Office confirmed Adams's arrest. 'It's a sad day for all Law Enforcement officers,' deputies said in the statement. 'Please, please, say a prayer for the MCSO family and the family of the victim.' Adams joined the Madison County Sheriff's Office in August 2018, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported, citing Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Records. He previously worked for a few days at the Royston Police Department and for four years before that at the Statesboro Police Department, according to the Journal-Constitution. Records obtained by the newspaper showed he voluntarily resigned from both those positions. Adams was being held Monday morning in Clarke County Jail, according to the Journal-Constitution. The newspaper reported his bond was not immediately determined.
  • Home security cameras in Missouri caught a bright fireball that streaked across the sky Monday evening.  >> Read more trending news  A large fireball was spotted over St. Louis on EarthCam, a website dedicated to webcam content around the world. Twitter user Mike Hefner uploaded video from his Nest Cam located in Wentzville, which is west of St. Louis. Rob Edwards posted his video of the event. One of the better videos from the event came from Tom Stolze. He notes in the tweet that the meteor traveled from the east to west. People in the region reported on Twitter that their homes shook as the meteor crossed the sky. Some reported hearing a loud boom about 45 seconds later.
  • A Jacksonville, Florida, Navy Reserve officer, Ryan Sidlovsky, is being called a hero after he jumped into the water to save a woman trapped in her submerged car.  >> Read more trending news  Sidlovsky and his wife, Francee, said it happened Friday morning off of Mizell Road. They said they were on their way home from their daughter's school, when they saw a red car dart out of a gas station parking lot. The couple saw the driver barely passed by two other vehicles while quickly crossing Mizell Road.  'I saw the car go very quickly, much too fast,' Francee said. 'It was amazing that she even made it across the traffic.' The couple said they witnessed the car dodge two trees and then crash into a retention pond at a nearby complex. Francee said she called 911 while Ryan reached for a tool in their car.  'Initially I would say it was about waist deep to where I was,' Ryan said. 'Then I remembered I had a window breaker tool in my car. I ran to get that and ran back out. By that time, the car was getting deeper. So I was kind of treading water and smashed the window in with the window breaker.' As soon as Ryan broke through the window, he said water quickly filled the vehicle and it started to sink faster. Within a few minutes, it was submerged underwater.  'We went down and down and I was trying to get her out of the car but couldn't,' he said. 'I think she was having a hard time swimming against the current of the water rushing into the car.' After getting a second breath of air, Ryan said he got her out safely. Francee called it a miracle.  'Ryan, having served in the Marine Corps for many years and now Navy Reserves and his training as a Delta pilot, he was the one for the job,' Francee said. 'Just felt like this is where we needed to be in that moment.' The St. Johns County Sheriff's Office said the driver, Nina King, is older. They said because of Ryan she did not suffer any major injuries. The Sidlovsky's said she is always welcome in their home.  'If she'll have us, we'll take her as part of our family now because she was meant to be here and we were meant to be here,' Francee said. 
  • A nonprofit in New England is training puppies to help soldiers who are returning home from war with post-traumatic stress disorder. >> Read more trending news  The problem is that the demand is high and there isn't enough boarding room to train more puppies. Clear Path for Veterans New England, a wellness-focused organization helping veterans, is asking for people to help provide temporary foster homes while puppies are trained. Fitch, a 10-month-old Labrador retriever, is training to become a service dog. Once certified, he'll be paired with a veteran who is having trouble adjusting to civilian life. 'They're basically trained as puppies and it can take 18 to 24 months to fully train a dog to be a service dog, certified,' said Ryan Burnett, the K-9 program manager at Clear Path for Veterans New England. He said that veterans are dealing with post-traumatic stress disorder and difficult situations in their past and present. Clear Path is located in the basement of an old Army hospital in Devens, Massachusetts. The entire building is being renovated, and once it's complete next year, it will offer a variety of free services for veterans. 'Everything we do is tailored to a veteran's journey home,' said Clear Path Vice President Donna Bulger. She said the service dogs in the program will help veterans with their anxiety. 'That response for a veteran that's maybe been in isolation, hasn't been able to go out in public -- the service dog helps them do that,' Bulger said. There are more than 30 veterans who are ready to receive a service dog, Burnett said, but Clear Path only has three dogs in training right now. 'We are in desperate need of foster homes, of good foster families to be able to foster these dogs and to work with our trainers,' he said. Even though Fitch is very well behaved, the puppy in him still comes out. He needs to be ready for any situation and Burnett said that's why Clear Path doesn't give untrained puppies to veterans with PTSD. It could be up to another year before Fitch is certified and ready for action. 'Being that companion and that loving, trusting relationship that the veterans need,' Burnett said. The more foster homes the nonprofit gets, the sooner it can start training more puppies. To get involved and foster a puppy, visit Clear Path's website.
  • A Florida woman is accused of setting fire to her boyfriend's home after catching him with another woman. >> Read more trending news  Tyetha Moore, 47, of Pensacola, was arrested Thursday and charged with first-degree arson, the Pensacola News Journal reported. She was being held in the Escambia County Jail in lieu of a $25,000 bond, according to arrest records, According to an arrest report by the Florida Bureau of Fire, Arson and Explosives Investigations, a fire was reported at an unoccupied residence around 9 a.m. Nov. 7. Moore was standing in the driveway of the home when firefighters arrived, the News Journal reported.  According to the arrest report, Moore told an Escambia County Fire Rescue battalion chief she used to live at the home but moved out last month when she caught her boyfriend with another woman. In interviews with four neighbors, firefighters learned Moore had asked them for gasoline, the News Journal reported. The neighbors said they gave Moore a water bottle filled with gasoline, the newspaper reported. Neighbors told authorities they saw Moore climb over a fence into her boyfriend's backyard and try to remove a window screen, according to the arrest report. Moore then threw the bottle into a trash can and left the yard, the report said. The fire was discovered a short time later, the News Journal reported. Investigators said the fire began on a sofa near the home's rear window, according to the arrest report.