ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
88°
Partly Cloudy
H 87° L 72°
  • cloudy-day
    88°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 87° L 72°
  • cloudy-day
    73°
    Morning
    Partly Cloudy. H 87° L 72°
  • cloudy-day
    85°
    Afternoon
    Mostly Cloudy. H 88° L 72°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National Govt & Politics
Both parties grumble over slow release of disaster aid by Trump Administration
Close

Both parties grumble over slow release of disaster aid by Trump Administration

Both parties grumble over slow release of disaster aid by Trump Administration

Both parties grumble over slow release of disaster aid by Trump Administration

In the midst of the ongoing partisan battle over action in Congress on a new package of relief aid for Americans hit hard by hurricanes, floods, wildfires, tornadoes and other disasters, there is strong bipartisan agreement on one thing - that the Trump Administration has been slow-walking billions of dollars in disaster relief already approved by the Congress.

And members of both parties are getting increasingly aggravated.

"Congress is tired of the administration’s delays," said Rep. David Price (D-NC).

"There’s no time to waste," said Sen. Rick Scott (R-FL), as he joined nine Republican Senators in Florida, Georgia, Texas, and the Carolinas in sending a letter Friday night asking for the Administration to release already money approved by Congress in 2017 and 2018

The complaints about bureaucratic delays by the Trump Administration have been building for months, and involve $16 billion in what's known as disaster mitigation funds. 

Texas is in line to get $4.3 billion in funding from the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Puerto Rico is set to receive $8.2 billion. North Carolina is waiting for $1.1 billion. Florida would get $550 million in disaster mitigation money.

Lawmakers were recently assured by HUD Secretary Ben Carson that the money would be released on May 1. 

But it didn't happen - as lawmakers pointed the finger at the White House, and the Office of Management and Budget for the delay.

"This is nothing more than bureaucracy at its worst," said Rep. Garret Graves (R-LA) earlier this year, as he's tried for months to unlock $250 million in flood relief aid for his Louisiana district. 

“Every deadline they give us, every date they give us turns out to be erroneous," Rep. David Rouzer (R-NC) told reporters back in his home district about delays in getting aid approved by Congress after Hurricane Matthew in 2016, and Hurricane Florence in 2018. "I’m just tired of it."

While debate in the House on Friday on $19.1 billion in new disaster aid was somewhat partisan - spurred by the President's demand that GOP lawmakers oppose the bill - there was one point of bipartisan agreement on an amendment to force the Trump Administration to release disaster money already been approved by Congress.

"In February of 2018, this body appropriated more than $4 billion to Texas," said Rep. Lizzie Fletcher (D-TX).  "But nearly a year and a half after those appropriations were made, those funds have not arrived.”

While most of the votes on the disaster bill were mainly along partisan lines, this one from Fletcher was not - as the House voted 393-20 to demand that the White House release the rules governing the aid money, which will then allow those billions to paid out.

"Four billion dollars are important dollars, and to have that delay really hinders those who are suffering now," said Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX), as this money was approved after Hurricane Harvey hit Texas and Louisiana in 2017.

For months, Democrats have accused the Trump Administration of slow-walking aid to Puerto Rico - but it's clear the complaints are about more than just the island's recovery from Hurricane Maria in 2017.

Congress has approved $41 billion in aid for Puerto Rico; about $12 billion has actually been sent to the island. Another $8.2 billion can be released once the feds publish the rules governing the use of those funds.

But deadlines have come and gone for the publication of those details, and the money remains on hold, in Washington, D.C.

“We need the help ASAP,” said Rep. Kevin Brady (R-TX).

Read More

News

  • Dish and Sling subscribers in metro Atlanta without an over-the-air antenna have been missing CBS46 (WGCL-TV) the past few days and they might lose Fox Sports South and Fox Sports Southeast, as well, on Monday. >> Read more trending news   Dish, which has often been the most aggressive in negotiating with cable and broadcast networks among service providers, is currently at an impasse with all regional Fox Sports networks, recently purchased from 21st Century Fox by Disney. Dish and other providers pay fees to owners of channels and pass those costs on to consumers. Most of the time, those deals are negotiated behind the scenes. Every so often, networks decide to play hardball by publicizing the dispute and occasionally pulling off blackouts in hopes viewers would blame the service provider. Fox Sports South and Fox Sports Southeast are the primary carriers of Atlanta Braves games, airing 154 this year. Dish subscribers would miss out on games starting Tuesday, July 23 with a two-game series against the Kansas City Royals followed by a three-game against the Philadelphia Phillies and three more with the Washington Nationals. The Braves are currently leading the National League East. A spokesman for Fox Sports regional networks declined to comment but the networks have been posting ads on Facebook with the headline “Keep My Home Teams” and featuring a phone number and website.  Dish provided this statement:  “DISH’s goal is to keep these channels available to our customers. We are unsure why Disney, the new owner of these channels, decided to involve customers in the contract negotiation process at a point when there is still time for the two parties to reach a mutually beneficial deal.” Dish had a previous conflict with Fox Sports that lasted from 2013 to 2015 and kept 50 weekend Atlanta Braves off the air over three seasons. Why did that happen In 2013? Fox Sports bought the rights for games that were originally set to air on Peachtree TV and asked for extra money from the cable and satellite carriers. Everyone said fine – except Dish. Dish has said Fox was asking for too much for rights. Fox didn't budge until 2016. Meanwhile, in the other current Dish dispute, Meredith Corp., owner of several TV stations, including CBS46, decided to pull its stations off Dish Tuesday and a resolution has not happened yet as of Saturday night. 
  • A man was hitting his wife Sunday morning when he was shot by her son, officials said. >> Read more trending news   Harris County deputies said the 17-year-old shot his stepfather around 2:20 a.m. while the man was beating the boy’s mother, KPRC reported.  The stepfather was flown to a hospital for treatment. His condition is unknown.  It is unclear if the teen will face any charges, KPRC reported. 
  • A dispute between a Georgia lawmaker and a man she accused of verbally attacking her in a Cobb County store dominated headlines over the weekend.  State Rep. Erica Thomas, who is serving her second term representing an Austell-based district and as vice chair of her caucus is one of the state’s top Democrats,  posted a tearful Facebook video on Friday afternoon. The African American resident discussed her encounter with a white man at an express lane at Publix in Mableton.  He took exception that Thomas, who is nine months pregnant, was flouting the 10 items or less rule.  'This white man comes up to me and says, 'You lazy son of (expletive). You need to go back where you came from,'' she posted. 'Sir, you don't even know me. I'm not lazy. I'm nine months pregnant.' At this point in the video, she’s bawling as she dabs her eyes with a tissue. “Yes, I had 15 items but I’m nine months pregnant, and I can’t stand up for long,” she said. The video has been viewed over 117,000 times since it was first posted and amassed nearly 3,000 comments.  Within hours, Kathy Griffin and other celebrities tweeted #IStandWithErica.  Teresa Tomlinson, a U.S. Senate candidate, said “all sane people of good conscience” support Thomas.  Many called on Publix, which said Saturday it was cooperating with local authorities, to release a tape of the incident. The company has not yet said whether it will — or whether one even exists.  In a statement released Saturday, the supermarket chain said, “At Publix we are committed to creating a safe and welcoming shopping experience for all our customers.” A day after the incident, during a planned interview at the store with Channel 2 Action News, Thomas found herself face to face again with the man she accused of verbally attacking her. Eric Sparkes, who had also reached out to the news station, had shown up to talk to the store’s management about the incident. With Thomas standing a few feet away, Sparkes said he noticed she had about 20 items at the express lane and when he turned to her to complain, she “berated” him. He then said he laced into her. “I stated, ‘You’re a selfish little (expletive).’ I did say that. That’s all I said after that and I walked out of Publix. Her words stating on Twitter, and her video, stating I told her she needs to go back where she came from are untrue. I am Cuban.” In a subsequent interview with Channel 2, Thomas said, “I don't want to say he said, ‘Go back to your country,’ or ‘Go back to where you came from.’ But he was making those types of references is what I remember.” MORE: Trump’s ‘go back’ attacks roil Georgia politics The incident came days after President Donald Trump’s remarks that four liberal congresswomen should “go back” to their home countries — and after a Gwinnett County Democratic activist had a nasty run-in with a Trump supporter at a grocery store on the other side of Atlanta’s suburbs. The blowback for Trump was immediate, as both Democratic and Republican politicians labeled the tweets as “inappropriate” and “racist.”  In the Thomas incident, some Republican sleuthing revealed Sparkes had made critical comments on social media about Trump, leading them to believe he was a Democrat. Republicans also criticized Thomas and other Democrats for sending out a fundraising plea on the incident that asserted “no woman should be subjected to this type of behavior from anyone while living their lives.”  The Georgia GOP had some of the harshest words: “Raising money on fabricated stories, lies and false narratives. Just business as usual for the Georgia Democrat Party and those they put in office.”  The state Democratic Party and other leading Georgia Democrats, meanwhile, have tweeted their support for Thomas and her side of the story. “You keep lying,” Thomas said in a tweet Saturday night directed at Sparkes, “we have witnesses that will testify!”
  • The reign of 'Avatar' as the top-grossing film of all time is over after a decade. 'Avengers: Endgame' has toppled James Cameron's sci-fi movie to become the highest-grossing box office film in the world.  Variety reported that the Disney and Marvel blockbuster has made more than $2.7902 billion at the global box office Sunday, surpassing the $2.7897 billion gross for 'Avatar.' The announcement was made at San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday afternoon, according to The Hollywood Reporter. >> Read more trending news  “A huge congratulations to the Marvel Studios and Walt Disney Studios teams, and thank you to the fans around the world who lifted Avengers: Endgame to these historic heights,' Disney Studios co-chairman and chief creative officer Alan Horn said in a statement. 'Of course, even with the passage of a decade, the impact of James Cameron’s 'Avatar' remains as powerful as ever, and the astonishing achievements of both of these films are ongoing proof of the power of movies to move people and bring them together in a shared experience. The talented filmmakers behind these worlds have much more in store, and we look forward to the future of both the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Pandora.” In June, 'Endgame' returned to theaters with about six minutes of new footage in an effort to dethrone 'Avatar.' It was initially released in theaters in April. The news comes after a slate of new Marvel projects were announced at Comic-Con. A new ensemble franchise, 'Eternals,' was announced, with Richard Madden, Kumail Nanjiani, Lauren Ridloff, Brian Tyree Henry, Salma Hayek, Lia McHugh, Don Lee and Angelina Jolie. Marvel dominates half of the top 10 highest-grossing films in the world. A list of the top 10 all-time worldwide box office grosses is below. 'Avengers: Endgame' - $2.7902 billion 'Avatar' - $2.7897 billion 'Titanic' - $2.1875 billion 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' - $2.0682 billion 'Avengers: Infinity War' - $2.0484 billion 'Jurassic World' - $1.6717 billion 'Marvel's The Avengers' - $1.5188 billion 'Furious 7' - $1.5160 billion 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' - $1.4054 billion 'Black Panther' - $1.3469 billion
  • One person was struck by lightning and seven others nearby were also injured by the impact Sunday, officials said.  >> Read more trending news  A group of people was at Clearwater Beach near Frenchy’s Rockaway restaurant when a man was struck by lightning around 12:42 p.m., causing him to have a heart attack, officials said.  He was taken to a hospital and is in critical condition, officials said. Another person was taken to a hospital with burn injuries. Three others were taken to a hospital with unknown injuries. Another three people refused transport. Lifeguards had left their towers around 12:30 p.m. as severe thunderstorms began to roll through the area.  “Beachgoers should take cover and go to a safe place when lightning and thunder are present,” officials said.
  • The carcass of a minke whale washed up along a Massachusetts beach Friday.  >> Read more trending news   They are not endangered or threatened but the species of whale is part of an unusual mortality event since 2017, with 59 documented deaths along the Atlantic coast from Maine to South Carolina, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Fisheries. They are protected under the Marine Mammal Protection Act. Heavy equipment was needed to move the 23-foot marine mammal, considered a young adult, the Cape Cod Times reported. Minke are the smallest of what are considered the great whales. They grow up to 35 feet and weigh up to 20,000 pounds. Their common name comes from a Norwegian whaling spotter named “Meincke” who mistook a minke whale for a blue whale.  A necropsy will be performed Monday.