ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
71°
Overcast
H 76° L 61°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    71°
    Current Conditions
    Chance of T-showers. H NaN° L 61°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day Created with Sketch.
    NaN°
    Today
    Chance of T-showers. H NaN° L 61°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day Created with Sketch.
    78°
    Tomorrow
    Chance of T-showers. H 78° L 57°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Sports
UGA fullback Merritt Hall medically DQ’d due to concussions
Close

UGA fullback Merritt Hall medically DQ’d due to concussions

UGA fullback Merritt Hall medically DQ’d due to concussions
Photo Credit: Steven Colquitt
Merritt Hall has played in 25 games (seven starts) for the Georgia Bulldogs the last two seasons.

UGA fullback Merritt Hall medically DQ’d due to concussions

Todd Gurley has received countless accolades for gaining rushing yards in big chunks and deservedly so. But very few of those gains came without a fullback running interference for him, and that fullback was usually Merritt Hall.

“The only person who understands the relationship you have with the fullback is another running back,” Gurley said following Georgia’s morning practice on Wednesday. “That dude is right there in the room with you every day and making holes for you on the field.”

It won’t be Hall this season. Word slowly leaked out Wednesday that the junior from Alpharetta has been medically disqualified for his career after recently suffering yet another concussion. It was at least his third in his last two seasons with the Bulldogs and the latest one apparently was quite severe.

A 5-foot-11, 230-pound graduate of The Wesleyan School in Peachtree Corners, Hall was working with the No. 1 offense going into Saturday’s scrimmage in Sanford Stadium. But that proved to be his last practice with the team. Hall has been sidelined the last three days with what until now had been an undisclosed injury.

Georgia coach Mark Richt has yet to confirm the news. He was supposed to brief reporters after Wednesday morning’s practice but got delayed on business away from the complex and postposed his media session until Thursday.

But several of UGA’s offensive players intimated after Wednesday’s practice that Hall would not be back this season. Finally, senior quarterback Hutson Mason just came right out and said it.

“Merritt told me he was medically DQ’d,” Mason said. “He said it wasn’t necessarily how many concussions he’s had; it was how he responded to the last concussion, the symptoms he was having. They kind of threw up a red flag about it.”

Asked how Hall was coping with it, Mason told reporters: “He was pretty upset about it. He said he wanted to stay involved as much as he could without having to coach,” Mason said, with a laugh. “You just feel bad for the kid. And you just realize how tough a position that is, you’re kind of just sacrificing your body and your head. Those concussions are so serious.”

Hall has not been available for comment, but he sent out the following tweet on his Twitter account:

A former walkon out of The Wesleyan School, Hall played in 25 games the last two seasons with seven starts. He finishes his career with nine yards rushing on three rushing attempts and 13 yards on two receptions. But his prvalue to the Bulldogs was as a devastating lead blocker.

“Merritt was the more consistent blocker,” said junior tight end Quayvon Hicks, who shared fullback duties with Hall last season. “Anything you asked him to do, that guy was going to make the play. Consistency beats talent or size any day. It’s about getting the job done and that’s what we’re really going to miss about Merritt not being out there. That’s my guy right there.”

Apparently there are no current plans to move Hicks back to fullback. He said he has continued to work full time at tight end and in a sort hybrid wingback role offensive coordinator Mike Bobo has developed in him.

“No I haven’t,” Hicks said of being asked to work again at fullbacks. “But I believe (running backs) Coach (Bryan) McClendon has a lot of trust in me at that position as far as knowing it. I’ve got the hang of it and if I’m needed at that position I’ll be ready.”

Georgia moved first-year freshman Detric Bing-Dukes from inside linebacker to fullback on Monday. But the No. 1 reps on Wednesday were falling to Taylor Maxey, a fifth-year senior walkon from Statham. He was followed by fellow walkons Christian Payne and Cameron Faulkner, then Bing-Dukes.

Maxey (5-10, 226 pounds) came to UGA from North Oconee High as a linebacker. To date his only game experience came on defense in the fourth quarter of the 2012 game against Georgia Southern. He moved to fullback last year.

“I’m getting more looks and I’m trying to take advantage of it,” Maxey said. “It’s a new feeling, nothing I’m used to. But OI’m really comfortable in the offense. I’ve been here and gotten reps the last couple of springs and last camp. So I know what I’m doing. I’m not looking around wide-eyed.”

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

News

  • A 22-year-old police officer died in Oklahoma on Monday morning after he and a man exchanged gunfire when the man ran during a traffic stop Sunday night, Tecumseh police said. >> Read more trending news The officer, identified as 22-year-old Justin Terney, died of his injuries. The suspected gunman remained hospitalized Monday morning. Tecumseh Assistant Police Chief J.R. Kidney said Terney was shot multiple times after stopping a vehicle around 11:30 p.m. Sunday near the intersection of Benson Park Road and Gordon Cooper Drive. Kidney said Terney was working with dispatchers to verify information given by one of the vehicle’s passengers, a man, after becoming suspicious that he might have been giving Terney false information. As dispatchers were telling Terney that it appeared the man had an active warrant for his arrest, the man ran from the stopped vehicle and toward nearby woods, Kidney said. Terney fired a stun gun at the man. “The (stun gun) doesn’t have any effect on (the suspect) and he continues running through a wooded area, over a fence,” Kidney said. “About 25 yards inside that fence area, the officer and the suspect both exchanged gunfire.” Authorities took both the suspect, whose identity was not immediately known, and Terney to a hospital, where Terney underwent surgery for hours overnight. Kidney confirmed that Terney, who had been shot about three times, died Monday morning. The suspected gunman remained in intensive care with four gunshot wounds, according to KFOR. Terney joined Tecumseh’s police force about a year ago. “My department’s not doing good,” Kidney said Monday morning, adding that in the 22 years he has been with the department and the 38 years the chief has been with the department, this is the first officer-involved shooting for Tecumseh police. “We haven’t had to live through this yet,” he said. “We need everybody to rally around and support us.”
  • A woman fought off a knife-wielding man who broke into her southeast Atlanta home Saturday night. Adrien Gass said she was terrified when the man burst into her home on Memorial Drive and chased her with a knife. 'I said, 'I have money.' He said, 'I don't want no money. I want the car and I want your life.' And I said, 'Not today,'' Gass said. The mother of three told Channel 2's Matt Johnson that she threw a piece of furniture at the intruder, who chased her down the hall. 'I know he's bleeding because I attacked him,' she said. Gass said she locked herself in a bedroom. The attacker kept kicking the door and it hit her in the mouth while she held on to it. 'All my might, yes. I would not let that door go,' she said. Gass said she escaped by jumping out a window and the intruder left with nothing. 'I lifted up the window and pushed out and ran as fast as I could to the neighbor's house,' she said. Atlanta police said just three minutes earlier, a quarter of a mile away on Allendale Drive, someone carjacked a husband and wife at gunpoint. 'He was in the car, got the keys and gone,' Tris Siciginanosaid. Siciginano said the thief stole her husband's car and she believes the two crimes are related. 'It was too much in one night and the descriptions are so close,' she said. Police have not said if the crimes are related, but neighbors said they are staying vigilant. No arrests have been made.
  • Police have found no evidence that the man who killed four people in London last week was associated with the Islamic State group or al-Qaida, a senior British counterterrorism officer said Monday. Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu of the Metropolitan Police said Westminster attacker Khalid Masood clearly had 'an interest in jihad,' but police have no indication he discussed his attack plans with others. Basu, who also serves as Britain's senior national coordinator for counterterrorism policing, said Wednesday's attack — in which Masood ran down pedestrians on London's Westminster Bridge before fatally stabbing a policeman guarding Parliament — 'appears to be based on low-sophistication, low-tech, low-cost techniques copied from other attacks.' Masood was shot dead by police after his deadly rampage, which police have revealed lasted just 82 seconds. Police believe Masood — a 52-year-old Briton with convictions for violence who had spent several years in Saudi Arabia — acted alone, but are trying to determine whether others helped inspire or direct his actions. Detectives on Monday continued to question a 30-year-old man arrested Sunday and a 58-year-old man arrested shortly after Wednesday's attack. Both were detained in the central England city of Birmingham, where Masood had recently lived. Prime Minister Theresa May said last week that Masood was 'a peripheral figure' in an investigation into violent extremism some years ago. But Basu said he was not a 'subject of interest' for counterterrorism police or the intelligence services before last week's attack. Masood was born Adrian Elms, but changed his name in 2005, suggesting a conversion to Islam. His mother, Janet Ajao, said Monday she was 'deeply shocked, saddened and numbed' by his murderous actions. In a statement released through the police, Ajao said that 'since discovering that it was my son that was responsible I have shed many tears for the people caught up in this horrendous incident.' Basu said there was no sign Masood was radicalized during one of his stints in prison, the last of which was in 2003. 'I know when, where and how Masood committed his atrocities, but now I need to know why,' Basu said. 'Most importantly, so do the victims and families.' As Basu appealed for anyone who spoke to Masood on the day of the attack to come forward, the British government repeated calls for tech companies to give police and intelligence services access to encrypted messages exchanged by terrorism suspects. Masood used the messaging service WhatsApp just before he began his attack. Home Secretary Amber Rudd said Sunday that such services must not 'provide a secret place for terrorists to communicate with each other.' Tech companies have strongly resisted previous calls to create back-doors into encrypted messaging, arguing that to do so would compromise the secure communications underpinning everything from shopping to tax returns to online banking. Rudd is due to hold a previously scheduled meeting with internet companies on Thursday. Prime Minister Theresa May's spokesman, James Slack, said tech firms 'should be helping us more' to prevent terrorism. 'The ball is now in their court,' he said. Slack said that if agreement was not reached with the companies, the government 'rules nothing out,' including legislation. Meanwhile, the families of the dead and injured set about the difficult task of going on with their lives. The family of an American victim expressed gratitude Monday for the kindness of strangers as they insisted some good would come from the tragedy. A dozen members of Kurt W. Cochran's family gathered to face the media, sharing their shock and sense of loss. Cochran, from Utah, was on the last day of a European trip celebrating his 25th wedding anniversary when he was killed on Westminster Bridge. Cochran's wife, Melissa, suffered a broken leg and rib and a cut head, but is steadily improving. The family offered profuse thanks to first responders, British and American authorities and people who had sent notes, prayer and donations. 'Last night we were speaking as a family about all this, and it was unanimous that none of us harbor any ill will or harsh feelings towards this,' said Sarah McFarland, Melissa Cochran's sister. 'So we love our brother. We love what he brought to the world, and we feel like that this situation is going to bring many good things to the world.' ___ Jonathan Shenfield contributed to this story.