cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
Broken Clouds
H 76° L 61°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    Current Conditions
    Chance of T-showers. H NaN° L 61°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day Created with Sketch.
    Chance of T-showers. H NaN° L 61°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day Created with Sketch.
    Chance of T-showers. H 78° L 57°

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

The declining state of Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate

The declining state of Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate

The declining state of Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate
Photo Credit: ccompton@ajc.com
112815 ATLANTA: -- Georgia players plant the Georgia flag in Grant Field after beating Georgia Tech 13-7 in a football game on Saturday, Nov. 28, 2015, in Atlanta. Curtis Compton / ccompton@ajc.com

The declining state of Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate


Georgia has firmly planted its flag in the Georgia, Georgia Tech rivalry.

If you are a Georgia Tech fan, no game, no moment, no single event matters more than beating Georgia.

You sing about it in your fight song.

You talk about dropping battle axes on Georgia’s head.

It’s evidently the good word.

365 days a year, it’s all about beating the Dawgs.

Your coach has taken your team to two Orange Bowls and won the school’s first ACC title since 1990 (which has since been vacated). And yet, he’s starting to wear out his welcome in part because he’s only beaten Georgia twice and never at home.

Bobby Dodd’s victory over Georgia in 1949 started a streak of eight straight for the Jackets, the longest in the history of the rivalry.

However, Georgia Tech’s leader is now the dean of coaches in this state because the last guy at Georgia was fired the day after he won his eighth straight game at Bobby Dodd Stadium.

The guy the stadium is named after only won the state championship seven times on that field.

Mark Richt went 13-2 against Georgia Tech. If you’re a Georgia fan, it’s doubtful that’s the first argument you made if you believed Richt deserved to stay. If you thought he should go, you said there are more important things than dominating Tech.

Nobody was wrong.

For most Georgia fans, this game just doesn’t mean what it used to. At least those of a certain age.

“It’s a large rivalry game,” said UGA head coach Kirby Smart. “Especially for our older fan base, the history of this rivalry is really important to a lot of people. It’s really important to me.”

For those “older” Georgia fans, this game does mean more than all the others. But for the younger crowd, can you hardly blame them for not obsessing about the Yellow Jackets as much as young Tech fans do about Georgia?

The younger portion of Georgia’s fan base would be stunned to hear that UGA lost eight in a row to Georgia Tech in the 1950s and that the guy who scored the winning touchdown to end the drought is one of only four players to have his uniform retired.

Simpler times.

Tech loses to Georgia

The two men responsible for the declining state of the Georgia-Georgia Tech game.

There’s two people you can blame for the declining state of state championship: Georgia’s old coach and Tech’s current one.

If you ever told the older section of Bulldog Nation that a UGA coach would be fired after going 13-2 against Georgia Tech and 8-0 in Atlanta, they would have asked “what did he do to get thrown in jail?”

Yet Mark Richt was canned after his 13th win over the Yellow Jackets. That victory came 15 years after he replaced Jim Donnan, who was fired in part because he couldn’t beat Tech.

That’s where Richt raised the standard at Georgia. UGA must win trophies. And there are more important trophies than the Governor’s Cup.

If you’re a Georgia fan, this rivalry has become so one-sided, there’s not much reward in beating Tech. Now the pain in losing is still there, but it’s more of an embarrassment. It’s like a loss to Vanderbilt or Kentucky (by the way, Mark Richt was also 13-2 against those two schools).

Beating Florida brings jubilation. Beating Tech means the world will remain on its axis.

But Richt isn’t completely at fault for punching a stake into the heart of this rivalry. Paul Johnson is his accomplice.

Part of what matters in a rivalry game is in-state bragging rights. The other is getting a one up in recruiting. How often are Georgia and Tech fighting over recruits anymore?

Georgia stuffing Georgia Tech is now just expected for UGA fans.

That’s because Paul Johnson doesn’t even bother trying to woo the same kids that Kirby Smart wants. Johnson does his thing and he wants the players for his system. He’s never cared about stars or recruiting rankings. For better or worse, Johnson is shopping in a completely different store than Kirby.

Smart is hanging out at Bloomingdale’s. Johnson is at some specialty boutique (first time I’ve ever used that word in a football column).

So the spoils for a Georgia fans just aren’t the same. It’s hard to keep celebrating what happens every year and recruits aren’t making their decision because of what happens on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

I’m still a firm believer that Georgia Tech is still the Dawgs most important rival, because you have to beat your little brother before you do anything else. UGA must always keep the firm upper hand.

But the Yellow Jackets have a lot of work to do to make this game matter to anyone outside the state again. Frankly that’s the only way all Georgia people will truly hate “the nerds at that north Atlanta trade school” again.

Georgia Tech people have been obsessing about this week for the last 51.

For Bulldog Nation, many of them just started caring once the black uniforms were taken off last week.

It’s a bit sad, but that’s where we are.

I guess that’s the last thing you can thank Mark Richt for.

Read More

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.


  • A 22-year-old police officer died in Oklahoma on Monday morning after he and a man exchanged gunfire when the man ran during a traffic stop Sunday night, Tecumseh police said. >> Read more trending news The officer, identified as 22-year-old Justin Terney, died of his injuries. The suspected gunman remained hospitalized Monday morning. Tecumseh Assistant Police Chief J.R. Kidney said Terney was shot multiple times after stopping a vehicle around 11:30 p.m. Sunday near the intersection of Benson Park Road and Gordon Cooper Drive. Kidney said Terney was working with dispatchers to verify information given by one of the vehicle’s passengers, a man, after becoming suspicious that he might have been giving Terney false information. As dispatchers were telling Terney that it appeared the man had an active warrant for his arrest, the man ran from the stopped vehicle and toward nearby woods, Kidney said. Terney fired a stun gun at the man. “The (stun gun) doesn’t have any effect on (the suspect) and he continues running through a wooded area, over a fence,” Kidney said. “About 25 yards inside that fence area, the officer and the suspect both exchanged gunfire.” Authorities took both the suspect, whose identity was not immediately known, and Terney to a hospital, where Terney underwent surgery for hours overnight. Kidney confirmed that Terney, who had been shot about three times, died Monday morning. The suspected gunman remained in intensive care with four gunshot wounds, according to KFOR. Terney joined Tecumseh’s police force about a year ago. “My department’s not doing good,” Kidney said Monday morning, adding that in the 22 years he has been with the department and the 38 years the chief has been with the department, this is the first officer-involved shooting for Tecumseh police. “We haven’t had to live through this yet,” he said. “We need everybody to rally around and support us.”
  • A woman fought off a knife-wielding man who broke into her southeast Atlanta home Saturday night. Adrien Gass said she was terrified when the man burst into her home on Memorial Drive and chased her with a knife. 'I said, 'I have money.' He said, 'I don't want no money. I want the car and I want your life.' And I said, 'Not today,'' Gass said. The mother of three told Channel 2's Matt Johnson that she threw a piece of furniture at the intruder, who chased her down the hall. 'I know he's bleeding because I attacked him,' she said. Gass said she locked herself in a bedroom. The attacker kept kicking the door and it hit her in the mouth while she held on to it. 'All my might, yes. I would not let that door go,' she said. Gass said she escaped by jumping out a window and the intruder left with nothing. 'I lifted up the window and pushed out and ran as fast as I could to the neighbor's house,' she said. Atlanta police said just three minutes earlier, a quarter of a mile away on Allendale Drive, someone carjacked a husband and wife at gunpoint. 'He was in the car, got the keys and gone,' Tris Siciginanosaid. Siciginano said the thief stole her husband's car and she believes the two crimes are related. 'It was too much in one night and the descriptions are so close,' she said. Police have not said if the crimes are related, but neighbors said they are staying vigilant. No arrests have been made.
  • Police have found no evidence that the man who killed four people in London last week was associated with the Islamic State group or al-Qaida, a senior British counterterrorism officer said Monday. Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu of the Metropolitan Police said Westminster attacker Khalid Masood clearly had 'an interest in jihad,' but police have no indication he discussed his attack plans with others. Basu, who also serves as Britain's senior national coordinator for counterterrorism policing, said Wednesday's attack — in which Masood ran down pedestrians on London's Westminster Bridge before fatally stabbing a policeman guarding Parliament — 'appears to be based on low-sophistication, low-tech, low-cost techniques copied from other attacks.' Masood was shot dead by police after his deadly rampage, which police have revealed lasted just 82 seconds. Police believe Masood — a 52-year-old Briton with convictions for violence who had spent several years in Saudi Arabia — acted alone, but are trying to determine whether others helped inspire or direct his actions. Detectives on Monday continued to question a 30-year-old man arrested Sunday and a 58-year-old man arrested shortly after Wednesday's attack. Both were detained in the central England city of Birmingham, where Masood had recently lived. Prime Minister Theresa May said last week that Masood was 'a peripheral figure' in an investigation into violent extremism some years ago. But Basu said he was not a 'subject of interest' for counterterrorism police or the intelligence services before last week's attack. Masood was born Adrian Elms, but changed his name in 2005, suggesting a conversion to Islam. His mother, Janet Ajao, said Monday she was 'deeply shocked, saddened and numbed' by his murderous actions. In a statement released through the police, Ajao said that 'since discovering that it was my son that was responsible I have shed many tears for the people caught up in this horrendous incident.' Basu said there was no sign Masood was radicalized during one of his stints in prison, the last of which was in 2003. 'I know when, where and how Masood committed his atrocities, but now I need to know why,' Basu said. 'Most importantly, so do the victims and families.' As Basu appealed for anyone who spoke to Masood on the day of the attack to come forward, the British government repeated calls for tech companies to give police and intelligence services access to encrypted messages exchanged by terrorism suspects. Masood used the messaging service WhatsApp just before he began his attack. Home Secretary Amber Rudd said Sunday that such services must not 'provide a secret place for terrorists to communicate with each other.' Tech companies have strongly resisted previous calls to create back-doors into encrypted messaging, arguing that to do so would compromise the secure communications underpinning everything from shopping to tax returns to online banking. Rudd is due to hold a previously scheduled meeting with internet companies on Thursday. Prime Minister Theresa May's spokesman, James Slack, said tech firms 'should be helping us more' to prevent terrorism. 'The ball is now in their court,' he said. Slack said that if agreement was not reached with the companies, the government 'rules nothing out,' including legislation. Meanwhile, the families of the dead and injured set about the difficult task of going on with their lives. The family of an American victim expressed gratitude Monday for the kindness of strangers as they insisted some good would come from the tragedy. A dozen members of Kurt W. Cochran's family gathered to face the media, sharing their shock and sense of loss. Cochran, from Utah, was on the last day of a European trip celebrating his 25th wedding anniversary when he was killed on Westminster Bridge. Cochran's wife, Melissa, suffered a broken leg and rib and a cut head, but is steadily improving. The family offered profuse thanks to first responders, British and American authorities and people who had sent notes, prayer and donations. 'Last night we were speaking as a family about all this, and it was unanimous that none of us harbor any ill will or harsh feelings towards this,' said Sarah McFarland, Melissa Cochran's sister. 'So we love our brother. We love what he brought to the world, and we feel like that this situation is going to bring many good things to the world.' ___ Jonathan Shenfield contributed to this story.