ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
66°
Broken Clouds
H 75° L 58°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    66°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Cloudy. H 75° L 58°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    75°
    Today
    Mostly Cloudy. H 75° L 58°
  • heavy-rain-day Created with Sketch.
    76°
    Tomorrow
    Chance of Rain. H 76° L 59°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

College
Georgia suspends Harvey-Clemons for opener
Close

Georgia suspends Harvey-Clemons for opener

Georgia suspends Harvey-Clemons for opener
Georgia safety Josh Harvey-Clemons played in all 14 games as a freshman, primarily on special teams.

Georgia suspends Harvey-Clemons for opener

Staff writer Tim Tucker contributed to this article.

Georgia will be without one of its young defensive stars when it opens the season against offensive powerhouse Clemson.

Georgia coach Mark Richt confirmed that sophomore Josh Harvey-Clemons, who is slated to start at strong safety next season, is suspended for the Aug. 31 game at Clemson. Richt declined to say why, though indications are it is a violation of UGA’s marijuana-use policy.

“Here’s what I’ll say on that: Josh Harvey-Clemons is going to miss the first game of the season,” Richt, attending the SEC Meetings in Destin, Fla., told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “That’s all I’m going to say.”

Harvey-Clemons was involved in an incident in which UGA police were called to a dorm room May 15 to investigate the smell of marijuana. That incident also involved Ty Flournoy-Smith, a tight end, who was advised by Richt last week to seek a transfer. Flournoy-Smith also was arrested and charged in February for reporting a false crime.

According to a UGA Police incident report, police were called to Vandiver Hall at 11:33 p.m. May 15 after a resident assistant detected the odor of marijuana coming from a room in the dorm shared by the players. Police knocked repeatedly on the door of the room before Harvey-Clemons and Flournoy-Smith finally answered.

Police were granted consent to search the residence, and no marijuana was found. However, police said the two men “exhibited signs of marijuana ingestion” with blood-shot eyes and dilated pupils. After questioning, the players admitted they had “smoked a blunt,” which is slang for a using a cigar to smoke marijuana, police said.

During the search, police found a digital scale in one of Flournoy-Smith’s drawers and a plastic bag was found among bathroom trash that contained “a barely visible flake of possible marijuana.” Police advised the two players they would not be arrested, but that the incident would be documented and turned over to the UGA’s Office of Student Conduct. UGA Police Chief Jimmy Williamson also called Georgia’s coaches to inform them of the incident.

The UGA Athletic Association’s marijuana-use policy calls for a suspension of 10 percent of competition dates for a first-time violation, which translates to one game in football.

Harvey-Clemons (6-foot-5, 215 pounds) earned the starting job at strong safety during spring practice. He played in all 14 games as a freshman, primarily on special teams.

Harvey-Clemons’ loss will hurt the Bulldogs as they face Clemson on national TV in what’s expected to be a matchup of top-10 teams. The Tigers are led by quarterback Tajh Boyd and an offense that ranked sixth in the nation in scoring last season (41.0 ppg) and ninth in yardage (512.69 ypg).

Georgia had to replace seven starters from its 2012 defense. Harvey-Clemons was slated to start alongside freshman Tray Matthews at safety. Now it’s likely that junior Corey Moore or senior Connor Norman will have to step in — or another first-year player such as junior college transfer Shaquille Fluker.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

News

  • The British man who killed four people during a London rampage had made three trips to Saudi Arabia: He taught English there twice on a work visa and returned on a visa usually granted to those going on a religious pilgrimage. More details about attacker Khalid Masood's travels, confirmed by the Saudi Arabian embassy in Britain, emerged Saturday amid a massive British police effort to discover how a homegrown ex-con with a violent streak became radicalized and why he launched a deadly attack Wednesday on Westminster Bridge. The embassy said he taught English in Saudi Arabia from November 2005 to November 2006 and again from April 2008 to April 2009, with a legitimate work visa both times. He then returned for six days in March 2015 on a trip booked through an approved travel agent and made on an 'Umra' visa, usually granted to those on a religious pilgrimage to the country's Islamic holy sites. The embassy said Saudi security services didn't track Masood and he didn't have a criminal record there. Before taking the name Masood, he was called Adrian Elms. He was known for having a violent temper in England and had been convicted at least twice for violent crimes. Masood drove his rented SUV across London's crowded Westminster Bridge on Wednesday, striking pedestrians. Then he jumped out and stabbed to death police officer Keith Palmer, who was guarding Parliament, before being shot dead by police. In all, he killed four people and left more than two dozen hospitalized, including some with what have been described as catastrophic injuries. The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the attack, calling him a 'solider' who responded to its demands that followers attack countries in the coalition fighting IS in Syria and Iraq. British officials said security at Parliament will be reviewed after new footage emerged that showed the large gates to the complex were left open after Masood rushed onto the grounds. There are concerns that accomplices could have followed him in and killed even more people. The footage from that day shows pedestrians walking by the open gates and even a courier entering the grounds. Former Metropolitan Police commissioner Ian Blair told the BBC that changes to the 'outer soft ring' of Parliament's security plan are likely in the aftermath of Masood's attack. The new footage follows earlier video that showed slight delays and confusion during the evacuation of Prime Minister Theresa May from Parliament as the attack unfolded. Masood, who at 52 is considerably older than most extremists who carry out bloodshed in the West, had an arrest record in Britain dating to 1983. In 2000, he slashed a man across the face in a pub parking lot in a racially charged argument after drinking four pints, according to a newspaper account. Masood's last conviction, in 2003, also involved a knife attack. The British press quoted people who had contact with Masood over the years describing him as a man who seemed to lose control at a moment's notice. One victim, Danny Smith, told The Sun newspaper that Masood had stabbed him in the face with a kitchen knife after an argument just three days after they met. Hundreds of British police have been working to determine his motives and if he had any possible accomplices. Two men, aged 27 and 58, remain in custody for questioning after being arrested in the central English city of Birmingham, where Masood was living. Authorities haven't charged or identified the men. Seven others who had been arrested in connection with the investigation have been set free. A 32-year-old woman arrested in Manchester and a 39-year-old woman arrested in east London have been released on bail. Police are scouring Masood's communications systems, including his possible use of the encrypted WhatsApp device, to help determine if he had any accomplices in the attack. Details about how he became radicalized aren't clear, although he may have become exposed to radical views while an inmate in Britain or while working in conservative Saudi Arabia. It's also not clear when he took the name Masood, suggesting a conversion to Islam.
  • RADFORD, N.C. (AP) - A North Carolina sheriff says a newborn and the baby's 2-year-old sister have been found stabbed to death.Hoke County Sheriff Hubert Peterkin tells WRAL (http://bit.ly/2n1S80h) the bodies of 4-day-old Genesis Freeman and 2-year-old Serenity Freeman were found Saturday in the woods near an intersection close to the city of Raeford.Before they were found, their 30-year-old father Tillman Freeman was arrested and charged with two counts of child abuse and child endangerment. Authorities said the father refused to cooperate with the investigation into the children's whereabouts. TRENDING STORIES: Plane crashes near Cobb County home; 1 killed Company will pay you $10K a month to travel, stay in luxury homes Home Depot accused of unsafe practices; Criminal investigation launched They have not said who they think killed the children, who were reported missing following a domestic dispute. Freeman's wife was in a local hospital when the children disappeared.Details about the domestic dispute were not immediately released. It's not clear whether Freeman has an attorney.
  • One day after 11 of 14 charges were dropped against him, an Atlanta man has been indicted in connection with women he allegedly held at a Sandy Springs house, the Fulton County district attorney said Friday. Kenndric Roberts, 33, was indicted on six counts of trafficking a person for labor servitude, six counts of false imprisonment, two counts of possession of a firearm during commission of/or attempt to commit certain crimes, and participation in criminal street gang activity, District Attorney Paul Howard said. The indictment means that Roberts will be held without bond in the Fulton County jail, Howard said. A judge had set bond at $80,000 on Thursday during a preliminary hearing. “It was distressing,” Howard told Channel 2 Action News on Friday about the previous day’s developments. “We thought it put our victims in a state of vulnerability. “We thought it was important that this defendant remain in jail.” Roberts was arrested March 8 after one of the women called 911, telling police, “I’m in a very bad situation, and I need to get help,” officers said. Eight women were removed from the house, police said. Six indicated they were held against their wills. Police also found expensive cars and an AK-47 in the 6,800-square-foot house, Carter said. Detectives learned the women were forced to dance at local strip clubs, according to a news release from Howard’s office. The money they earned would be given to Roberts. Police also said Roberts was a Gangster Disciples member and required the women to get gang-related tattoos as a sign of loyalty. In Thursday’s hearing, attorney Mike Maloof Sr. referred to Roberts as a “poor man’s Hugh Hefner.” “Everybody had grand designs on making money, and they lived well,” he said. “That’s not trafficking.”   In other news:
  • Thousands of demonstrators are gathering under sunny skies in central London to protest plans for Britain to withdraw from the European Union. The Unite for Europe march included many carrying EU flags just days before Britain is expected to begin its formal divorce from the EU. Prime Minister Theresa May plans to trigger Article 50 Wednesday, setting the process in motion. Negotiations are expected to take at least two years. The substantial march follows by three days an attack on Parliament. Organizers considered delaying the march but decided to go ahead. Organizers said in a statement that 'we will not be intimidated. We will stand in unity and solidarity.' Britain voted in a June 23 referendum to leave the EU.