cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
Broken Clouds
H 82° L 60°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H NaN° L 59°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    Partly Cloudy. H NaN° L 59°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day Created with Sketch.
    Chance of T-storms. H 82° L 60°

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Bulldog Nation hopes it got a glimpse of what it will soon demand


The last time the Dawgs had a season this bad, it also finished in the Liberty Bowl. At least this time, Georgia will leave Memphis ringing the bell on the Liberty Bowl trophy.

If you’re going to come to this part of Tennessee you might as well go home with some hardware.

This 31-23 win over TCU will also edge up what is already sky-high expectations for 2017. You know, sort of like the sky high expectations for 2016.

December has probably been the best month of the 2016 season. Four of Georgia’s impact juniors said they are coming back. Recruiting is going pretty great, UGA has at least at top 5 class and maybe better.

At least the Dawgs finally got a win on the actual football field to close out December.

“Nobody is happy with 8-5,” Kirby Smart told the UGA radio network. “Certainly not us. We know what we have to do to get better and we have to go out and do it.”

Georgia did look like a better football team today, at least in the second half. The first 28 minutes though, were a bit rough.

Save a 77 yard pass from Jacob Eason to Isaiah McKenzie, Georgia’s offense looked as bad and as boring as ever. Three plays in a cloud of dust. Then a short punt. Georgia had five 3-and-outs in its first seven possessions. The other two were a TD and a turnover.

Wake me up when something happens.

Georgia’s defense did well to hang for the TCU no-huddle ride with its offense giving it only three plays to take a break. This game had a chance to really get out of hand, until the game’s MVP made the biggest play of this bowl.

With his team already up 16-7, Kenny Hill’s 45 yard run put the Horned Frogs on the verge of a blowout. Two plays later, Trenton Thompson stuffed the quarterback for the first of his three sacks, knocking TCU out of field goal range.

Next drive, Sony Michel goes in for 33 yard TD catch and Georgia goes to the half down two instead of down 16.

A big 14 point swing caused by Georgia’s biggest defender.

“Trenton played hard all game, so disruptive and so athletic,” said Smart. “There’s no limit to how good Trenton can be if he just buys into the system, which he has done this year.”

Thompson’s three sacks ties him with Marcus Howard and David Pollack for the UGA bowl record.

From there, Nick Chubb and Sony Michel did the rest, with Georgia rushing for 199 yards in the second half.

That’s the Georgia formula. That’s the plan. The defense makes the stops and the running game wears you out.

If it were only that easy, the Dawgs wouldn’t be spending its December in Memphis.

“Those two backs wear you down,” said Smart. “You tackle them in the first quarter your fresh. The fourth quarter and that’s 220 pounds of muscle coming right at you. You get tired of hitting those guys.”

And Bulldog Nation will get to watch them run one more season. Reasons number one and number two as to why Bulldog fans will be expecting something more than “Liberty Bowl Champions” in 2017.

The chorus has already started, as it generally does in Athens every December. All together now “next year is going to be our year.”

However, It’s pretty hard to argue that Georgia has a real shot to produce.

The entire defense is basically back and all (breaking news, scratch that) almost all of the offensive skill players return (McKenzie says he’s going pro). Sprinkle a bunch of recruits with a bunch of stars and all is right with the world.

One problem: This team went 7-5. It was mediocre. Is it really fair to expect so much for a group that produced so little in one year?

“I’m certainly confident that they will be ready,” said Smart. “They have to not read their press clippings if they are playing. And if they aren’t, they need to work harder.”

The future should be bright. There was glimpses of it today, even though it’s a 7-5 team beating a 6-6 squad.

Now we see what Smart can do with his “Squad 17” recruiting call.

Because the honeymoon is officially over. The mulligan season is gone. Championships will be expected very soon.

Read More

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.


  • Pickens County deputies are searching for an armed fugitive.  Authorities are looking for Nicholas Bishop in the area of Priest Circle in Talking Rock.  Bishop is believed to be armed with a handgun and on foot after he abandoned a stolen vehicle around 2 p.m.  If you see him, call 911 immediately. Officials say do not attempt to approach him. - Please return for updates.
  • One more time, Doris Payne, the 86-year-old infamous international jewel thief, has pleaded guilty to the usual crime. She admitted Wednesday to stealing a necklace from Von Maur at Perimeter Mall last year, the DeKalb County District Attorney’s Office said. Payne, who recently said she’s been dealing with a possibly cancerous tumor, was sentenced to 120 days of house arrest and three years of probation.  She was also banned from all Von Maur locations and every mall in DeKalb County. Payne, who’d been free on bond, was arrested last month for missing a court date. Shortly after the would-be appearance, she told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution she wasn’t medically able to attend. “I ain’t runnin’,” she said in a phone interview. “I’ve never in my life been late for court. Last month, Payne was deemed too ill to stand trial by the judge presiding over a Fulton County case stemming from a missing set of earrings at Phipps Plaza. Payne has been open about her habits of theft, which she detailed in a documentary called, “The Life and Crimes of Doris Payne.” RELATED: Huge DeKalb center with (at least) 8 popular chains is opening soon RELATED: Cop helps elderly woman who got kicked out of dentist office in DeKalb RELATED: A DeKalb family’s tale of two dead bodies and a crying baby girl Like DeKalb County News Now on Facebook | Follow on Twitter and Instagram
  • A drunken driver destroyed a row of headstones at a historic Carrollton cemetery, causing tens of thousands of dollars' worth of damage, police said. According to police, the driver was coming down Martin Luther King Street on March 19, ran a stop sign, jumped a curb and crashed into the city-owned cemetery. The broken headstones range in date from the late 1800s to 1950. 'And what we discussed is, if one is damaged beyond repair, we'll put something back that's respectful. It's hard to replace it with the exact same item. The families aren't around anymore, so the city will take on the responsibility,' city manager Tim Grizzard said. TRENDING STORIES: Thousands of Georgians could lose food stamps next week 16-year-old in custody after hoax call about school gunman Food prices at SunTrust Park vs. Mercedes-Benz Stadium: What's the difference? The 35-year-old driver, Ray Antonio Baker, was arrested and charged with DUI. City officials said they will ask his insurance carrier to pay for the damage. 'Our plan is to go after the individual's insurance to pay for repairs. If that doesn't pay for everything, the city will certainly pick up the tab,' Grizzard said. Officials said this isn't the first time a driver has damaged headstones, but it's not a big enough problem to put up a wall. 'It's not something that has happened often enough that we need to put up a barrier. If it was a recurrent spot, we would do something,' Grizzard said. City officials said it could take weeks to repair the damage.
  • Their hug was silent, their smiles broad. After more than six weeks in custody, a Mexican man who had been arrested despite his participation in a program designed to prevent the deportation of those brought to the U.S. illegally as children was freed Wednesday pending deportation proceedings. Daniel Ramirez Medina, 24, greeted his brother — also a participant in the program — in the lobby of the Federal Detention Center in Tacoma, surrounded by lockers and metal detectors. 'He's free to go,' a guard told them, and after conferring with one of his lawyers, Ramirez stepped into the sunshine and hugged his brother again for a crowd of news cameras waiting just beyond the chain link-and-barbed wire fence. He spoke to reporters briefly in Spanish, thanking his supporters, and later issued a written statement in English through his lawyers. 'I'm so happy to be reunited with my family today and can't wait to see my son,' it said. 'This has been a long and hard 46 days, but I'm so thankful for the support that I've gotten from everyone who helped me and for the opportunity to live in such an amazing country. I know that this isn't over, but I'm hopeful for the future, for me and for the hundreds of thousands of other Dreamers who love this country like I do.' Judge John Odell in Tacoma approved freeing the 24-year-old Ramirez on $15,000 bond until his next immigration court hearing. Immigration agents arrested him last month in suburban Seattle, saying he acknowledged affiliating with gangs. Officials then revoked his protected status. Ramirez adamantly denies any gang ties or making any such admission. He spent 40 minutes answering questions from prosecutors during a two-hour hearing Tuesday, repeatedly denying any gang connections, his attorney, Mark Rosenbaum, said. 'He answered every question the government put to him,' Rosenbaum said. 'He stayed true, and the government had no evidence whatsoever.' U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement issued a statement Wednesday noting that Ramirez's own attorneys had twice declined to have their client participate in bond hearings that could have resulted in his earlier release — something his lawyers said was designed to keep his case in federal court, rather than immigration court. Immigration agents arrested Ramirez on Feb. 10 at an apartment complex where they had gone to arrest his father, a previously deported felon. Ramirez, who came to the U.S. at 7, has no criminal record and twice passed background checks to participate in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which allows young people brought to the U.S. illegally as children to stay in the country and work. Immigration officials have started deportation proceedings against him. His legal team, which includes the Los Angeles based pro-bono firm Public Counsel as well as Harvard Law professor Laurence Tribe, have pressed claims in federal court that the arrest and detention violated Ramirez's constitutional rights. They sought to keep the case out of immigration court, saying U.S. District Court was better suited to handle those claims. A federal magistrate judge in Seattle agreed to hear the constitutional claims, but declined to release him in the meantime. U.S. District Judge Ricardo Martinez upheld the decision not to release him last week, saying he instead should challenge his detention in immigration court. Martinez nevertheless said 'many questions remain regarding the appropriateness of the government's conduct' in arresting him. Among those questions, his lawyers have said, is whether U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents misinterpreted a tattoo on his forearm when they described it as a 'gang tattoo' in an arrest report. The lawyers say the tattoo, which says 'La Paz BCS,' pays homage to the city of La Paz in the Mexican state of Baja California Sur, where he was born. Ramirez's case is one of several recent arrests that have left immigration activists fearing an erosion of protections under the DACA program instituted by President Barack Obama in 2012. ICE agents in Portland, Oregon, on Sunday arrested Francisco J. Rodriguez Dominguez, a DACA participant who was brought to the U.S. from Morelia, in Mexico's Michoacan state, at age 5. Last December, he entered a diversion program following a drunken driving arrest and had attended all his court dates and required meetings, the American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon said in a statement. The agency said Monday that it targeted Rodriguez Dominguez because of the DUI and that he would be released on bond pending deportation proceedings. About 750,000 immigrants have enrolled in the DACA program since it began.