ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
60°
Mostly Clear
H 63° L 40°
  • cloudy-day
    60°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Clear. H 63° L 40°
  • clear-day
    63°
    Today
    Mostly Clear. H 63° L 40°
  • cloudy-day
    59°
    Tomorrow
    Partly Cloudy. H 59° L 36°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Baseball
Braves game postponed after shootings near Nationals Park
Close

Braves game postponed after shootings near Nationals Park

Braves game postponed after shootings near Nationals Park
Photo Credit: Manuel Balce Ceneta / AP
Area surrounding the Washington Navy Yard and the Washington Nationals Park in Washington is swarmed by emergency personnel following a shooting at the Navy Yard.

Braves game postponed after shootings near Nationals Park

WASHINGTON — In the aftermath of shootings that left at least 12 dead Monday morning a few blocks from Nationals Park at the Washington Navy Yard, the opener of the Braves’ highly anticipated series against the Nationals was postponed and will made up as part of a Tuesday doubleheader.

“It makes our game seem so unimportant when stuff like this happens,” Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said after the announcement that Monday night’s game had been postponed. “It’s the right call, doing what we’re doing. You don’t want 40,000 people or so coming in here, for their safety. Who knows what’s going on? It’s the right call, and also out of respect for the people who lost their lives and their families.”

Starting times for Tuesday’s split doubleheader are 1:05 p.m. and 7:05 p.m. The Braves can clinch the National League East division title by winning two of three in the series against the second-place Nationals.

The postponement was not made official until 3:12 p.m., nearly seven hours after the shootings, less than four hours before the scheduled first pitch, and an hour or more after most players from both teams had already arrived at the ballpark.

“We got on the bus at 1:30 and we were all still wondering, why are we getting on the bus?” Braves relief pitcher Scott Downs said. “Baseball, I think, was the last thing on everybody’s mind. Once they heard the tragedy that went on and the extent, and heard there was still somebody out there, they don’t know…. I think that’s the last thing anybody wanted to do was come to the ballfield.”

Braves third baseman Chris Johnson said, “That’s way more important than baseball and clinching a division and home-field advantage and all that stuff. People lost their lives.”

While one shooter was killed, District of Columbia police said early Monday afternoon that they were still searching for two other possible gunmen in the vicinity. With that charged atmosphere awaiting, and an air of uncertainty hanging over the city, the Braves boarded a bus at the team hotel across the Potomac River at Arlington, Va., and took the short but tense trip to Nationals Park.

“There were a lot of guys that didn’t really want to play, that thought it was kind of disrespectful to play,” Johnson said. “It happened right across the street, and to be over here cheering, and they’re using a parking lot for families (of victims) and stuff like that?

“I don’t know, it should just be quiet for today. That’s kind of what we thought. And (the Nationals) had their rep come over and, I think, talk to (Braves player representative Brandon) Beachy, and they felt the same way. So they made a call to the players’ association to try to get this cancelled for today.”

Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said, “It’s a very emotional day. An extremely horrific act happened very near to the ballpark. Our neighbors at the Navy Yard, our thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims over there and all of the people affected by this. We felt it was inappropriate to play a major league baseball game with such tragedy right down the street.”

As for the delay in postponement, he said, “There’s a lot of (logistics) that go into canceling the game for these reasons. We have to be in contact with the federal authorities, the state and D.C. authorities to have a coordinated effort and whenever you cancel a game, obviously MLB is involved and we have to go through the correct procedures with that.”

At around 10:30 a.m., Nationals manager Davey Johnson told Washington newspapers that he and Washington players had been told to stay away from the ballpark until further notice.

However, Gonzalez was permitted to enter Nationals Park when he arrived at noon, and the Braves were told shortly thereafter that their players could enter the ballpark as usual.

A machine-gun toting law-enforcement officer stopped the Braves bus near the ballpark and informed the driver that he would have to take a different route. At every corner in the vicinity, police were stationed, the lights atop their cars flashing. All afternoon and into the early evening, sirens wailed from nearby streets.

“You wouldn’t know you’re in the United States,” said Gonzalez, while standing barely a mile from the Capitol building, which is visible from the Nationals Park pressbox. “Stuff like this shouldn’t happen in the United States…. But it does. More and more.”

Several streets around the ballpark were blocked off all day as a perimeter was established around the sprawling Navy Yard complex, and a ballpark parking lot was used as a staging area for families of victims and others evacuated from the Navy Yard.

The Metro (subway) station used by fans going to Nationals Park is the Navy Yard stop. It was closed immediately after the shootings, but re-opened by mid-morning.

At 2 p.m., a group of Nationals Park food-service employees exiting the subway at the Navy Yard station cursed loudly and repeatedly about being told to come to work despite the situation unfolding only a few blocks from the ballpark.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

News

  • The wife of U.S. Sen. Rand Paul says her husband hasn't taken a single breath without pain since what she calls 'a deliberate, blindside attack' by a Kentucky neighbor earlier this month.Authorities say the Republican was attacked Nov. 3 by Rene Boucher while mowing his lawn. Kelley Paul writes in an essay published by CNN that her husband suffered six broken ribs and fluid in his lungs. Paul says he was diagnosed with pneumonia after returning from Washington last week.Boucher is charged with misdemeanor assault. His attorney blames the attack on a 'trivial' dispute and says it wasn't politically motivated.Kelly Paul says neither she, nor her husband, have spoken to Boucher in 10 years. She writes that 'the only 'dispute' existed solely in the attacker's troubled mind.
  • Police are warning mall goers this holiday season after Channel 2 Action News obtained video that shows a man and woman installing a card skimmer on an ATM at Lenox Square. A witness told Channel 2’s Carl Willis he saw it happen and told security. 'It's the season and everyone is going to be pulling out cash,' the witness told Willis, asking not to be identified. 'They did it very swiftly and very quick.' The man told Willis he happened to be standing on the second floor of Lenox Square when he looked down and saw a couple install two devices on an ATM 'I see the guy applying a lot of pressure in the top right corner. I thought that was abnormal,' the man said. TRENDING STORIES: Ex-Braves GM banned for life by MLB; Atlanta loses prospects 60+ people fall ill after company Thanksgiving party Jailhouse phone calls reveal aftermath of deadly heroin-fueled crash Police say the couple seen on the video installed a card skimmer at an ATM in the middle of the mall’s food court 'As you watch you can see that they may have installed a pin camera,' Sgt. Paul Cooper, with the Atlanta Police Department’s major fraud unit, told Willis. With your card number and your PIN, thieves have everything they need to go on a shopping spree. Police told Willis there's been an uptick in this kind of activity in the past couple of years. 'Our best guess is because we're transitioning from the mag-stripe to the chip and pin. The chips are encrypted and it's a lot harder to duplicate those cards,' Cooper said. Cooper worries if scammers are bold enough to hit a mall ATM, there are likely many more devices out there. 'We do try to target these people. We see that they tend to cross state lines they may be working the entire eastern seaboard right now,' Cooper said. For now, shoppers will have to take steps to keep thieves from swiping your information. 'Take that extra couple of seconds. Tug on it (the card reader). Look for those cameras. Just make sure you don't get burned,' Cooper told Willis. 'Definitely cover up your PIN if you're not sure that it's a valid swiper or valid scanner try using another ATM,” the witness said. Police are asking anyone who may recognize the man and woman in the video to call Crime Stoppers at 404-577-8477.
  • Atlanta police are revealing new details in the cold case murder of a father of two. Channel 2’s Sophia Choi got exclusive access to the cold case file and spoke to the victim’s family.  Police say they are stunned the case went cold. The shooting happened one year ago this month on Vanderbilt Court in northwest Atlanta. Investigators put out fliers before, but now, for the first time they released video of the actual shooting. It's so clear, they’re convinced someone will recognize him. The stunning video shows a man unloading his weapon into the door. On the other side was Carl “CJ” Cosby.  We'll show you the exclusive video on Channel 2 Action News starting at 4. SHOCKING VIDEO police want you to see! On the other side of the door, a loving father of two. Now, police want help to find his killer. Hear from lead detective and victim's family @wsbtv 4pm pic.twitter.com/4BxFUzCSAC — Sophia Choi (@SophiaWSB) November 22, 2017
  • Police in Austin, Texas, are looking for a woman who they say stole merchandise from a Macy’s department store with the help of another woman and four children no older than 10 years old. >> Read more trending news Investigators are looking for 27-year-old Martha Monique Lopez, who is charged with robbery by assault, according to an arrest affidavit filed this week. On Nov. 12, police received a call around 2 p.m. from a store employee who watches for shoplifters at the Macy’s in the Domain shopping center. She told police she was watching the children, who were between 7 and 10 years old, through a security camera. According to the affidavit, they re-entered the store and met two women near the hotel bedding and pillow area. The store worker told police that she saw the women point to some pillows, which the children then picked up before they “exited the store past the last point of purchase without attempting to pay for the items,” the affidavit said. The worker said in the affidavit that she confronted the children and identified herself as a Macy’s employee, after which point she said the children complied and started to come back with her to a store office. The employee told police that as they were going back to the office, the two women approached her and one of them told her to let the children go and then pushed her, according to the affidavit. The other woman and the children began running away, the employee told police. She tried to grab the children, but the “female who told her to let her children go began to punch (her) on the left side of her face, chest and left arm with a closed fist causing (her) pain and redness,” the affidavit said. The employee told police that she “tried to grab the female to detain her but the female took off running and (she) ripped (the woman’s) shirt off of her and the female ran out of the store wearing just a black bra,” the affidavit said. A customer saw the woman running from the store and saw her and the children get into a white 2009 Chevy Malibu with a Texas license plate that matched a car registered to Lopez, according to the affidavit. Lopez was also identified by the store worker from a photo taken during a previous arrest, police said.
  • New research suggests medical cannabis may play a key role in ending the opioid epidemic plaguing the nation. >> Read more trending news The findings from Aclara Research, a cannabis patient and consumer insights group, come soon after President Donald Trump declared the opioid crisis a public health emergency in the U.S. as an estimated 175 Americans die from opioids each day. The study, which will be released in full in early 2018, was conducted in partnership with pharmacists active in the cannabis industry and included online surveys of more than 400 patients using prescription opioids nationwide. » RELATED: Trump declares US opioid emergency but pledges no new money Researchers also examined 500 pharmacists’ perceptions of medical cannabis and its role in the industry. According to the Aclara study, the preliminary findings showed that 67 percent of the patients stopped using opioid medications after using medical cannabis. » RELATED: Walgreens to begin selling OTC Narcan to combat opioid epidemic And another 29 percent reported a decrease in the number of opioid medications used after starting medical cannabis. Thirty percent of the patients said they stopped using any and all prescription drugs after using medical marijuana. » RELATED: US gun death rate up for second straight year, drug deaths rising faster than ever Of the 500 pharmacists surveyed, 87 percent said medical cannabis should be legalized, and 69 percent said pharmacists should dispense medical cannabis and counsel patients on medical cannabis use. Another recent study, published in the Public Library of Science last week, found opioid users were more likely to stop usage if they had access to medical marijuana. » RELATED: What is fentanyl? 10 things to know about the potentially deadly drug That study involved 66 patients using opioids to treat chronic pain. Over a 21-month period, patients who used medical cannabis were 17 times more likely to stop using opioids, and patients who didn’t use cannabis on average increased their opioid use by 10 percent over that time period, according to the research.  Research from 2014, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, also found states that had legalized medical marijuana saw lower rates of fatal opioid overdoses. Aclara researchers said they will continue to collect data and examine the results in conjunction with additional pharmacy partners. The study’s final results will be released in January 2018. Read more about the study at aclararesearch.com.
  • It can be difficult to tell how a long a concussion will last. However, a spit test may soon be able to diagnose and determine the duration, according to a new a report.  >> Read more trending news Researchers from Penn State University recently conducted a small experiment, published in the JAMA Pediatrics journal, to explore whether saliva can be used to identify prolonged concussion symptoms, which can include nausea, vomiting, dizziness, balance problems, double or blurry vision.  First, they examined saliva, discovering that it contains five small molecules called microRNAs, which influence protein levels.  MicroRNAs also exhibit some predictive functions, because they include genetic fragments that reveal specific information about an individual’s health. “Because of their abundance, stability in fluctuating pH levels, resistance to enzymatic degradation, and essential role in transcriptional regulation, miRNAs make ideal biomarkers,” the study read. >> Related: Which high school sports have the most concussions?  They then tested their theory by observing 52 children, teens and young adults. They measured the patients’ microRNAs by asking them to spit in cups.  After analyzing the results, they found the microRNAs in saliva correctly identified children and adolescents with concussions 85 percent of the time. It also identified  those who had symptoms for at least a month. Standard surveys commonly used by doctors are only about 65 percent accurate. Researchers said a concussion spit test could offer several benefits, including management of the condition and symptom testing. “The miRNAs associated with prolonged concussion symptoms have potential utility as a toolset for facilitating concussion management. This tool could ease parental anxiety about expected symptom duration. An objective prolonged concussion symptoms tool could also inform clinical recommendations about return-to-play and school-based accommodations,” the authors wrote.  Researchers did note that some patients used anti-inflammatory medicine, which could have altered their findings. They also acknowledged the size of the of study, explaining that a larger cohort would be needed to verify conclusions.  >> Related: Football players under 12 at high risk of brain injury, study finds In the future, they hope to study other biomarkers, such as blood, that could also yield the same results.