ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
78°
Mostly Clear
H 85° L 63°
  • cloudy-day
    78°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Clear. H 85° L 63°
  • clear-day
    85°
    Today
    Mostly Clear. H 85° L 63°
  • clear-day
    86°
    Tomorrow
    Mostly Clear. H 86° L 68°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Baseball
Atlanta deputy COO on Braves deal: “I’m not sure what else we could have done.”
Close

Atlanta deputy COO on Braves deal: “I’m not sure what else we could have done.”

Atlanta deputy COO on Braves deal: “I’m not sure what else we could have done.”
Photo Credit: BEN GRAY / bgray@ajc.com
The setting sun lights up clouds behind the Turner Field sign Monday evening November 11, 2013, the day the Braves announced that they would be moving to Cobb County.

Atlanta deputy COO on Braves deal: “I’m not sure what else we could have done.”

Atlantans are still digesting news the Atlanta Braves plan to relocate from Turner Field to Cobb County when its lease expires in 2016, ending a 50-year run in the state’s capitol city.

The first question many asked was the most simple: What went wrong?

Braves officials declined to comment on the negotiations they’ve had with city officials, but we talked to Hans Utz, Atlanta’s deputy chief operating officer, about what led to the Braves’ stunning announcement. He’s primarily managed talks with the Braves on behalf of the city.

Members of Mayor Kasim Reed’s team have been in active negotiations over the team’s lease renewal and redevelopment plans for nearly 18 months, he said.

When they learned late last week the team made plans to relocate, city officials were still weighing a 16-point proposal the team submitted in September at the city’s behest, including requests for $100 million in city funds for infrastructure improvements and a guaranteed continued revenue stream from future development, he said.

“We didn’t let the Braves walk,” he said. “They came to us with a deal in late September that we were in the midst of vetting.”

Utz rebuffed reported complaints city officials failed to respond to that proposal. The administration believed it had until mid-November to respond to the latest request.

They were stunned last week when the Braves notified them of their decision to move to Cobb.

“We were operating under the good faith assumption they wanted $100 million (and were) suddenly given 48 hours to respond to a $450 million deal,” he said.

By Utz’s account, it’s the latest and most dramatic turn in what have been tumultuous negotiations between city officials and the Braves.

Talks over the redevelopment plans around Turner Field stalled earlier this year because the Braves wanted to engage on both sides of the process — outlining terms of the request for proposal yet also applying to win the bid — a role city officials said then was a conflict of interest, he said.

The Braves, for their part, have a keen interest in seeing both the downtrodden communities surrounding their home base improved and more amenities for fans.

Utz said city officials were still devising a way to meet the requests made in the September proposal, namely the $100 million for the team to make upgrades to the stadium.

The city cannot commit hotel-motel taxes to the project as those funds were authorized by the state solely for the future Falcons stadium, he said, which will be owned by the state and operated by the football team.

“People say ‘Why would you work to keep the Falcons around, and not the Braves?” he said.

The city put $200 million in hotel-motel taxes for a $1.2 billion stadium. “That’s a 5 to 1 return.”

Money for upgrades to Turner Field would have to come from another source of city revenue, funds that otherwise would go to infrastructure problems such as sidewalk repair, he said. City officials are already trying to solve nearly a $1 billion backlog in infrastructure needs.

Utz said he doesn’t necessarily believe the Braves left the city because of a bad deal, but are moving to Cobb for a better one.

“No one blames the Braves for liking the Cobb County deal,” he said. “…But they surprised us by dropping it in our laps at this last second. I’m not sure what else we could have done.”

The deputy COO indicated city officials have found a silver lining in what is arguably one of the worst losses for Reed’s administration yet.

“You still have 60 acres of highly valuable land right now downtown,” he said. “You could easily see an Atlantic Station-type development with mixed income and mixed density.”

Utz said while the Braves’ departure is a loss, it’s not necessarily a death knell to development there.

“I don’t think having the Braves there or not having the Braves there changes conversation about redevelopment,” he said. “It likely changes the style and parameter of that redevelopment.”

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

News

  • A grand jury indicted former DeKalb County Commissioner Stan Watson with theft Tuesday after he receiving about $3,000 in advances for government trips that he never took. Watson, 63, faces a single count of theft by conversion in DeKalb Superior Court, according to DeKalb District Attorney Sherry Boston’s office. Watson withdrew advance checks in January 2016 for conferences in Chicago and Savannah, but then he resigned from office in March 2016 to run for DeKalb Tax Commissioner. “The state alleges the expense money w as then converted to personal use and not repaid until approximately one year later, well after Watson’s resignation,” according to a press release from Boston’s office. “County policy requires any funds advanced for travel but not actually used for said travel be returned to the county immediately.” A warrant was issued for Watson’s arrest, and he’s expected to surrender to authorities, the release said. Watson didn’t immediately return a phone message seeking comment. Exclusive to subscribers: Read the full story on myAJC.com. MYAJC.COM: REAL JOURNALISM. REAL LOCAL IMPACT. The AJC's Mark Niesse keeps you updated on the latest happenings in DeKalb County government and politics. You'll find more on myAJC.com, including these stories: Accused politicians try to undermine ethics oversight in Georgia DeKalb Sheriff Mann could retain office even if found guilty DeKalb police, firefighter pay raise plan revealed Never miss a minute of what's happening in DeKalb politics. Subscribe to myAJC.com. In other DeKalb news:
  • A man convicted of robbing Waffle House restaurants in Cobb and Gwinnett counties will spend the rest of his life in prison. >> Read more trending news Cobb County Superior Court Judge C. LaTain Kell handed down the sentence Friday after a jury convicted Robbin Haynes, 23, of armed robbery, aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during commission of a felony for the 2014 crime. Haynes and another man, Otis Lee Barnes, used a gun and large, orange bolt cutters to rob restaurant workers off Highway 92 near Sandy Plains Road on March 13, 2014. They got away with $400. That restaurant wasn’t the only one they hit. Investigators say the pair robbed two other Waffle House restaurants the same way. >> Related: Waffle House co-founder dies a month after business partner In a release sent to WSB-TV, Assistant District Attorney Lauryn Perry, who prosecuted the case, said, “Mr. Haynes committed three armed robberies in about 24 hours. The first occurred in Gwinnett County, the second one in Cobb County and the last one in Gwinnett County. He showed a lack of compassion for his victims and a streak of violence that the state believes is reflected in his sentence.” Haynes was previously convicted in Gwinnett County for the two related armed robberies there and was sentenced to life in prison. In addition to the life in prison sentence, the Cobb County judge also added a mandatory five years to serve in prison on the firearms charge. Haynes’ sentence will run concurrently with the sentence imposed in Gwinnett. Barnes, 25, pleaded guilty to charges in both counties. He was sentenced in Cobb County to 20 years, with 10 years to be served in prison.
  • Residents at a DeKalb County apartment complex finally have temporary stairs to reach their second-story units. Channel 2 Action News first reported how firefighters had to rescue people stuck on the second floor of the Maple Walk Apartments in Decatur earlier this month. Channel 2's Sophia Choi learned residents were using ladders to reach their second-floor homes. Even though it was unsafe, residents said they had to get into their homes after waiting weeks. 'I got a ladder and came home. I had no choice. I didn't have the funds to stay out anymore,' resident Shawta Tiller said. As of Tuesday, they have temporary wooden steps to use. The DeKalb County fire marshal toured the construction site weeks after the complex removed their stairs. Residents said despite promises of payments for hotel rooms, they have received nothing. So after a week or so, they decided to use ladders to get in. TRENDING STORIES: Body found in locked Walmart bathroom that employees thought was out of order for days Woman could face jail time over garden Man who robbed 3 Waffle Houses in 24 hours sentenced to life in prison 'It was very dangerous, because trying to take groceries, just trying to get your things up it was just very scary and dangerous,' resident Tyler Reese said. The fire marshal said the county evacuated residents on three separate occasions for using those unsafe ladders. Channel 2 Action News was with the code enforcement officer who checked out a host of other problems at the complex, including mold and holes inside units, and major structural problems like a sagging balcony. 'It's not just the building with no stairs, most of the buildings around here look like this, with debris all over the hallway and the ceiling gone,' one resident said. The county said the owners of the complex were late in following their orders, and they will be cited for the delay. 'The building department is waiting for that structural analysis pending to be submitted by the ownership. That's where the permanent fixes will take place,' DeKalb fire marshal Joe Cox said. Choi contacted the apartment manager, who declined to comment.
  • 1. SENATE SHELVES OBAMACARE REPEAL BILL President Donald Trump and congressional Republicans suffer an embarrassing setback on their No. 1 campaign promise as health care legislation, short of votes, is delayed in the Senate. 2. ANOTHER BIG CYBERATTACK STRIKES A new and highly virulent outbreak of data-scrambling software — apparently sown in Ukraine — caused disruption across the world. It follows a similar ransomware attack in May. 3. WHAT CHINESE WORKERS WHO MADE SHOES FOR IVANKA TRUMP SAY FACTORY WAS LIKE They describe 16-hour days, steep production quotas, daily verbal abuse and occasional physical abuse. One said the company 'looks like a bank from the outside, but it's a jail inside.' 4. WHY A RETRACTED CNN STORY IS A BOON FOR TRUMP A retracted CNN story about a Russian connection involving an aide to President Donald Trump has given the president new ammunition in his battle against the news media. 5. THREE CHICAGO POLICE OFFICERS CHARGED IN COVER-UP OF BLACK TEEN'S DEATH They were indicted on felony charges alleging they conspired to cover up the fatal shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald by a white officer. 6. WHAT USA GYMNASTICS' SEXUAL CONDUCT REVIEW SAYS A former federal prosecutor calls for a 'complete culture' change to protect athletes from abuse, after gymnasts claimed a team physician sexually abused them. 7. WHO GOT HIT WITH A RECORD FINE European regulators fined Google 2.42 billion euros ($2.72 billion) for abusing its dominance of the online search market. 8. SHKRELI JURY SELECTION SLOWED Lawyers for the former pharmaceutical CEO notorious for price-gouging complained that news coverage is tainting the jury pool, as a securities fraud trial looms. 9. HOW MUCH IS BEING OFFERED IN INFAMOUS ART HEIST A Dutch art sleuth who says he's following two possible leads in the largest art heist in U.S. history is hoping a $10 million reward will help track down the collection stolen from a Boston museum in 1990. 10. SERENA APPEARS PREGNANT AND NUDE ON MAGAZINE COVER Serena Williams' pregnant stomach is prominently on display in a nude photo on the cover of the August issue of Vanity Fair.
  • Hong Kong is planning a big party as it marks 20 years under Chinese rule. But many people in the former British colony are not in the mood to celebrate. Fireworks, a gala variety show and Chinese military displays are among the official events planned to coincide with a visit by Chinese President Xi Jinping starting Thursday for the occasion. Under the surface, tensions are simmering as Hong Kongers, especially the young, chafe at life under the tightening grip of China's Communist leaders. They tick off a list of concerning incidents: the secret detentions of five booksellers; the flood of mainland money buying local property; the Chinese immigration officers working in a rail station under construction and the local branch of Beijing's Palace Museum set up without public consultation.
  • Hillary Clinton's former campaign chairman met Tuesday with a House committee investigating Russia's interference in the 2016 presidential election. John Podesta spoke with members of the House intelligence committee behind closed doors. He told reporters afterward he was 'happy to cooperate' but couldn't say what questions he'd been asked or detail his answers. The hacking of Podesta's personal email account and the release of those emails by WikiLeaks during the late stages of the campaign is one focus of the committee's investigation. While President Donald Trump has previously declined to name Russia as responsible for election meddling, in recent days he has referred to Russia in criticizing the Obama administration's response to the hack. Podesta said the Obama administration was 'trying to make the best judgment they could.' Also Tuesday, a longtime Trump confidant said he would appear before the same House committee next month — also in private. In a statement, Roger Stone's lawyer said the political operative has been 'much maligned by innuendo and misinformation' regarding the investigations into possible collusion between Trump's campaign and Russia. Lawyer Robert Buschel said Stone looks forward to providing 'a timeline based only on the facts.' Stone has denied coordinating with Russia during the 2016 election.