At first, the family thought they had a mouse in their kitchen but when their cat refused to go into the room after being chased, they began to worry.
The problem became clear when they opened a cabinet and found the 16-inch-long rat.
“I was terrified. It was so huge that I barely saw what it was, and I jumped up on the kitchen table,” Erik Bengtsson-Korsås said.
The Swedish family told Aftonbladet things got even worse when the furry terror got bold enough to roam the floor when the family was in the same room.
It also chewed its way through a water pipe, causing a small flood.
The Daily Mail reports the family called an exterminator who decided to put out huge traps to catch the creature.
When they heard a loud “snap,” they thought the nightmare was over.
“The rat was so big, it did not die,” Erik began.
Instead, the rat was strong enough to scurry off, dragging the trap along with it.
However, in its desire to escape, the animal made a mistake.
“It went underneath a wooden plant, where it got stuck and choked itself to death,” Mr. Bengtsson-Korsås finished.
While the Stockholm family was glad to get rid of the creature, they did have a moment of regret.
“It had slowly strangled,” Erik commented. “Then we felt a bit sorry for it.”
The family later found the rat had chewed through an area between a pipe, some concrete and a wooden panel to get into the kitchen.