A powdery substance caused the evacuation of a computer lab at Sandy Springs Charter Middle School early Monday afternoon.
Three students were transported to a local hospital for precautionary reasons after the substance, which was “consistent with chalk dust,” became airborne, said Mike Duke, deputy chief of Sandy Springs fire and rescue.
“We’re still interviewing school officials to find out what happened,” he said.
Several students complained of eye, nose and throat irritations from the substance, the majority of which was on the floor, Duke said.
The class, which consisted of 19 eighth graders and one teacher, was moved outdoors.
While there are no chalk boards at the school, Duke noted there are “several applications for chalk in a school.”
The students were checked out by a nurse, said Susan Hale, Fulton County School System spokeswoman.
“As a precaution, all students in that wing of the school were moved to the cafeteria,” Hale said in an email.
Sandy Springs police remained on the scene to speak with parents and help with after-school traffic, Capt. Steve Rose said.