ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
60°
Mostly Clear
H 63° L 40°
  • cloudy-day
    60°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Clear. H 63° L 40°
  • clear-day
    63°
    Today
    Mostly Clear. H 63° L 40°
  • cloudy-day
    59°
    Tomorrow
    Partly Cloudy. H 59° L 36°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Trayvon Martin's mother felt 'disgust' over Zimmerman verdict

MIAMI, July 18 (Reuters) - The mother of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed black teenager shot to death in Florida last year by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, said on Thursday she was "stunned" and felt "disgust" when a jury found her son's killer not guilty.


"I couldn't believe it," Sybrina Fulton told "CBS This Morning." "I just knew that they would see that this was a teenager just trying to get home. This was no burglar." 

On Saturday, a six-woman jury acquitted Zimmerman of second-degree murder and manslaughter in the Feb. 26, 2012, killing of Martin, 17, inside a gated community in the central Florida town of Sanford.

"My first thought was shock, disgust," Fulton said on another TV show, ABC's "Good Morning America." 

"I was stunned absolutely," Fulton told ABC. 

Fulton and Martin's father, Tracy Martin, gave their first interviews on the verdict that has renewed debate about race relations in the United States and cast scrutiny on gun and self-defense laws.  Neither Fulton nor Martin was in the Seminole County courtroom when the verdict was read, although Martin sent a tweet at the time describing himself as "broken hearted."  Martin told ABC that he believed jurors were given little opportunity to know more about their son. 

"They didn't know him as a human being, a fun-loving kid," Martin said. "I just wish they had an opportunity to really know who Trayvon was and to put that in context with what their decision was." 

Zimmerman's acquittal did not alter Martin's belief the U.S. justice system works, he said in an interview aired later on Thursday on CNN.

"We have faith in the system," Martin told CNN. "It didn't work for us, but we remain prayerful that the system - through this injustice - that we can close that gap and hopefully the system can start working for everyone equally." 

A member of the jury that found Zimmerman not guilty has called for changes to Florida's self-defense law, which she said gave jurors no option but to acquit him. 

"My prayers are with all those who have the influence and power to modify the laws that left me with no verdict option other than 'not guilty' in order to remain within the instructions," the juror, identified only as B-37, said in a statement this week. 

According to the judge's instructions to the jury, Zimmerman had "no duty to retreat and had the right to stand his ground and meet force with force" if he reasonably feared for his life or great bodily harm. 

Benjamin Crump, a lawyer for the Martin family, said the parents were considering filing a civil lawsuit against Zimmerman. 

"We are looking at all legal options right now," Crump told CBS. (Reporting by Kevin Gray in Miami and Emily Stephenson in Washington; Editing by Scott Malone, Grant McCool and Peter Cooney)

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

News

  • The wife of U.S. Sen. Rand Paul says her husband hasn't taken a single breath without pain since what she calls 'a deliberate, blindside attack' by a Kentucky neighbor earlier this month.Authorities say the Republican was attacked Nov. 3 by Rene Boucher while mowing his lawn. Kelley Paul writes in an essay published by CNN that her husband suffered six broken ribs and fluid in his lungs. Paul says he was diagnosed with pneumonia after returning from Washington last week.Boucher is charged with misdemeanor assault. His attorney blames the attack on a 'trivial' dispute and says it wasn't politically motivated.Kelly Paul says neither she, nor her husband, have spoken to Boucher in 10 years. She writes that 'the only 'dispute' existed solely in the attacker's troubled mind.
  • Police are warning mall goers this holiday season after Channel 2 Action News obtained video that shows a man and woman installing a card skimmer on an ATM at Lenox Square. A witness told Channel 2’s Carl Willis he saw it happen and told security. 'It's the season and everyone is going to be pulling out cash,' the witness told Willis, asking not to be identified. 'They did it very swiftly and very quick.' The man told Willis he happened to be standing on the second floor of Lenox Square when he looked down and saw a couple install two devices on an ATM 'I see the guy applying a lot of pressure in the top right corner. I thought that was abnormal,' the man said. TRENDING STORIES: Ex-Braves GM banned for life by MLB; Atlanta loses prospects 60+ people fall ill after company Thanksgiving party Jailhouse phone calls reveal aftermath of deadly heroin-fueled crash Police say the couple seen on the video installed a card skimmer at an ATM in the middle of the mall’s food court 'As you watch you can see that they may have installed a pin camera,' Sgt. Paul Cooper, with the Atlanta Police Department’s major fraud unit, told Willis. With your card number and your PIN, thieves have everything they need to go on a shopping spree. Police told Willis there's been an uptick in this kind of activity in the past couple of years. 'Our best guess is because we're transitioning from the mag-stripe to the chip and pin. The chips are encrypted and it's a lot harder to duplicate those cards,' Cooper said. Cooper worries if scammers are bold enough to hit a mall ATM, there are likely many more devices out there. 'We do try to target these people. We see that they tend to cross state lines they may be working the entire eastern seaboard right now,' Cooper said. For now, shoppers will have to take steps to keep thieves from swiping your information. 'Take that extra couple of seconds. Tug on it (the card reader). Look for those cameras. Just make sure you don't get burned,' Cooper told Willis. 'Definitely cover up your PIN if you're not sure that it's a valid swiper or valid scanner try using another ATM,” the witness said. Police are asking anyone who may recognize the man and woman in the video to call Crime Stoppers at 404-577-8477.
  • Ferguson, Missouri, has paid nearly a half-million dollars to the monitor team overseeing its police and court reforms, but city leaders question what they've gotten for their money, especially after the departure of the original lead monitor.Washington attorney Clark Kent Ervin resigned in September after serving a little over a year as lead monitor overseeing the consent agreement between the U.S. Department of Justice and Ferguson, the St. Louis suburb where Michael Brown was fatally shot by a police officer in 2014. Boston attorney Natashia Tidwell, who has been with the Ferguson monitor team since its start, now leads it.Concerns over the cost of monitoring were detailed in exclusive interviews with The Associated Press.The money spent on monitoring is costly in Ferguson, paid for entirely with city funds. The community of 20,000 is much smaller, with far less money, than most cities subject to Justice Department consent agreements. Money is so tight that Ferguson voters twice in 2016 approved tax increases to keep the budget balanced.Mayor James Knowles III said Ervin failed to follow through on some projects, including opening an office in Ferguson and surveying residents. City Attorney Apollo Carey said his departure slowed a court audit and other reforms.'It begs the question: What are residents getting out of (monitoring)?' Knowles said. 'They're supposed to be getting transparency. They're supposed to be getting regular updates and engagement from the monitor. They haven't gotten any of it.'City Manager De'Carlon Seewood said 'there were a lot of concerns on both sides,' which led to Ervin stepping down. 'The thought was it was best to depart,' Seewood said.Ervin did not respond to phone and email messages seeking comment.Ferguson fell under Justice Department scrutiny after Brown was killed by Ferguson officer Darren Wilson during an Aug. 9, 2014, confrontation on a neighborhood street. A St. Louis County grand jury and the Justice Department declined to charge Wilson, who resigned in November 2014.But the shooting of the black, unarmed 18-year-old by the white officer drew attention to allegations about mistreatment of African-Americans by Ferguson's police and court system. A Justice Department investigation led to a civil rights lawsuit that was settled in 2016 with the consent agreement.The agreement calls for reforms such as hiring more black officers, requiring diversity training for police, and court reforms that include easing financial burdens for minor offenses such as traffic violations. The process is expected to take up to three years with oversight by a team of independent monitors.Nine teams applied to perform the monitor duties. In July 2016, the Justice Department and Ferguson leaders chose the team led by Ervin, a former inspector general for the State Department and Homeland Security.The agreement called for paying the eight-member monitor team up to $350,000 a year, with the total amount to be capped out at $1.25 million over five years. Ferguson paid $350,000 for the first 12-month period, and has paid another $145,000 since July of this year, its records show.Of the initial $350,000, $291,192 was paid to Ervin's law firm, Squire Patton Boggs, according to Ferguson records. It isn't clear if Ervin received all of that money or if some was shared with other monitors or assistants, Seewood said. The agreement called for Ervin to be paid $685 per hour and work up to 30 hours a month on the monitoring, which would amount to $246,600 over a full year.Since July of this year, an additional $108,000 has been paid out to a data collection firm, along with $21,000 to Tidwell and $15,000 split between two other monitor team members, Knowles said.At a community meeting last December, Ervin pledged to conduct a survey of residents and to open an office in Ferguson. The survey never happened, and no office ever opened.Knowles said the survey 'should have been done in the first year and it wasn't done. You can't have a baseline survey of the community to see how it feels about progress if you don't know what the baseline is.'The proposal to open an office, Seewood said, was aimed at adding transparency to the reform process.'I offered to give him an office at City Hall,' Seewood said of Ervin. 'For some reason he was never able to make that commitment that he should be here.'Carey, the city attorney, said during a town hall meeting last week that Ervin's resignation has slowed reform efforts. He cited a court audit performed in August that remains incomplete.Justice Department attorney Jude Volek said at the meeting that progress is being made despite Ervin's resignation, aided by the fact that Tidwell has been involved in the process since day one.'You can see her commitment,' Volek said.Tidwell, who is a former police officer and federal prosecutor, declined comment through a spokeswoman.Seewood also has high hopes for the team's new leadership.'She's awesome,' he said of Tidwell. 'I'm very optimistic.
  • A man impersonating a law enforcement officer pulled over a woman in Arkansas, according to the St. Francis County Sheriff’s Office. The incident happened Saturday on Highway 38 near Hughes. >> Read more trending news Investigators said a man impersonating a game and fish officer stopped a woman and asked to check her vehicle for guns. He had a blue light on his dash and was in a dark-colored pickup truck. The man did not show the woman a badge or a weapon. The incident happened during the daytime hours and appears to have been an isolated occurrence. Investigators said they believe they know who the man is, but no arrests were immediately made. Officials said the impersonator is not the same one who stopped people earlier this year.
  • Former U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge says 'it's great to be alive' this Thanksgiving.Ridge issued a statement Wednesday from the hospital in Austin, Texas, where he's recovering from a heart attack.He says he's thankful for the 'outpouring of love and concern' after his health emergency.He says he's filled with gratitude, even though his doctors won't let him touch turkey and mashed potatoes.He had been attending a Republican Governors Association conference last week when he called for medical help at his hotel.The Republican served two terms as Pennsylvania governor from 1995 to 2001. He was the first homeland security secretary, serving under President George W. Bush until 2005.A statement on Monday said Ridge was in intensive care. It wasn't clear if he remains there.
  • Stolen guns are on the streets after a burglary in DeKalb County. Surveillance video shows the thieves running through Candler Road Pawn Shop early Monday morning. Police said they got in the shop by breaking the lock on the gates, smashing the glass on the door and crawling inside. The burglars got away with $9,000 worth of guns and also some electronics. See the surveillance video of the robbery, on Channel 2 Action News at 4:44.