ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
60°
Chance of Rain
H 60° L 44°
  • cloudy-day
    60°
    Current Conditions
    Chance of Rain. H 60° L 44°
  • heavy-rain-day
    60°
    Today
    Chance of Rain. H 60° L 44°
  • clear-day
    56°
    Tomorrow
    Mostly Clear. H 56° L 32°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National
Slow-moving landslide splits house in two
Close

Slow-moving landslide splits house in two

Slow-moving landslide splits house in two
Photo Credit: Matt Brown
A worker inspects damage to a house at the top of a slow-motion landslide in Jackson, Wyo., on Saturday, April 19, 2014. No one can say when the mountainside collapsing into this Wyoming resort town will give way. But it appears increasingly likely that when it does, it's going to take a piece of Jackson with it. (AP Photo/Matthew Brown)

Slow-moving landslide splits house in two

Trending on Facebook

More Popular and trending stories

A slow-moving landslide in Jackson, Wyoming, has split a home on a hill in half. Officials say the landslide is moving faster as it inches its way toward the city's main street, forcing residents to evacuate.

"It's basically broken in half now. It has been quite amazing to watch the progress of this slide."

"They said we had a couple hours to get out of the house, so we grabbed some clothes and we took off." (Via ABC)

NBC reports the landslide started about two weeks ago and has moved faster in the past few days.

Early on the land was only moving about a couple inches a day, but the speed has quickly grown. (ViaKPVI)

KIFI notes most of the land moved 2 to 3 feet on Thursday, but one section moved as far as 9 feet.

According to the Jackson Hole News & Guide, officials are worried the landslide could rip open a large water main, which could shoot out more than 2 million gallons of water in just 30 minutes. A former U.S. Geological Survey official said the slide will only move faster.

"If the motion is doubling every day, which is getting close to what it’s doing, it’s an exponential series ... we’re talking 3 feet yesterday. ... If you double that to 6 feet to 12 feet to 24 feet, that’s not a lot of days."

On its website, the town has set up a live stream of the slide site from two different angles. The Walgreens store in the foreground and three other nearby businesses are closed because of the slide. (Via Town Of Jackson)

This aerial footage shows just how bad the damage is in the parking lot of the Walgreens, as well as the part of the hill where the home was split into two. Construction crews are setting up barriers in hopes of keeping dirt and rocks from getting to the street. (Via YouTube / Tributary Environmental)

So far officials say they aren't sure what caused the landslide.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

News

  • Authorities arrested a 16-year-old on Monday morning after authorities said he shot a 15-year-old girl at a Texas high school, according to the Ellis County Sheriff's Office. >> Read more trending news
  • Dramatic video captured the moment a Georgia girl was thrown off a ladder and caught by a heroic firefighter weeks ago. Now, the two have reunited.  >> Watch the news report here WSB-TV was there when DeKalb County Fire Capt. Scott Stroup met the girl this weekend.  >> WATCH: Firefighter catches child thrown from burning building The fire ripped through the Avondale Forest Apartments on Jan. 3.  >> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news  Helmet camera video showed the moment the toddler was dropped down to a firefighter as the flames roared around them. >> Read more trending news  An estimated 50 people were left without a place to live after the massive fire at the Decatur apartment complex. >> Watch the raw video here
  • Southern California authorities on Monday went tent to tent telling the homeless living in a 2-mile-long (3.2-kilometer-long) encampment that the large riverbed encampment some have called home for years is being closed down.Orange County sheriff's deputies called out to tent dwellers on the dusty trail designed for biking and jogging, letting them know county workers will haul their trash, store personal belongings and provide transportation to area shelters.'We're basically informing all these folks, hey, you should have been gone by now,' said Sgt. Shannon Parker after speaking with two homeless men who said they did not know where they would go. 'It's a work in progress.'The move comes as West Coast cities grapple with a rise in homelessness caused in part by soaring housing costs, rock-bottom vacancy rates and a roaring economy. A drug addiction crisis and need for mental health services are also factors.The decision had many of the roughly 450 people who live on the trail that passes by the stadium for the Los Angeles Angels baseball team on edge.Heather Smith, 42, said she's been homeless for a decade after her husband left her and she was addicted to painkillers following surgery. She said she hasn't used drugs in years, but has no family and can't take her dog or cat with her to a shelter.'There's no other place for me to go,' she said, tears streaming down her face. 'I'll probably end up in jail.'People think we're all bad, and it's not true,' she said.Neighbors have long urged the county south of Los Angeles to shut down the encampment and restore the trail that leads to the Pacific Ocean for jogging and biking. They have complained about homeless people rattling shopping carts in their otherwise quiet neighborhoods and allegedly stealing potted plants and bikes.Undersheriff Don Barnes said authorities hope to get the homeless to move voluntarily and avoid arrests. He said deputies cleared another portion of the trail previously in about three weeks without arresting anyone.Barnes declined to give a specific timetable for the move, but said he hoped it would be completed 'as soon as possible.'The trail that runs through the cities of Anaheim and Orange will be shut to the public for up to three months while the county cleans the area. Officials said they'll take a harder stance on camping after it reopens.Officials in nearby cities are concerned that homeless residents will wind up living on the streets once they're pushed out of the riverbed.That's what Brooke Weitzman, an attorney and advocate for the homeless, said she expects will happen since there's only 100 spaces at shelters that don't meet the needs of many homeless people.'It's not effective. It's not humane. It's not giving people any choice,' she said. 'There's nowhere to go other than the city sidewalks.
  • Congress sped toward reopening the government Monday, as Senate Democrats dropped their objections to a temporary funding bill in return for assurances from Republicans leaders that they will soon take up immigration and other contentious issues.Senate Republican leader McConnell's commitment to quickly tackle the issue of immigrant 'Dreamers' was contingent on Democrats providing enough votes now for a stopgap spending measure lasting a little less than three weeks. The measure needed 60 votes, and Democrats provided 33 of the 81 it got. Eighteen senators, including members of both parties, were opposed.Before the government can reopen the Senate must vote on final passage, the House must approve in turn, and President Donald Trump must sign the measure. The Senate vote was underway late in the afternoon.Democrats climbed onboard after two days of negotiations that ended with new reassurances from Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell that the Senate would consider immigration proposals in the coming weeks.Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer lent his backing to the agreement during a speech on the chamber's floor. 'Now there is a real pathway to get a bill on the floor and through the Senate,' he said of legislation to halt any deportation efforts aimed at 'Dreamers,' who were brought to the country as children and are now here illegally.The White House downplayed McConnell's commitment, and said Democrats caved under pressure. 'They blinked,' principal deputy press secretary Raj Shah told CNN. In a statement, President Donald Trump said he's open to immigration deal only if it is 'good for our country.'Earlier Monday, McConnell raised hopes for a quick end to the shutdown, saying 'I hope and intend' to reach agreement soon on immigration and other contentious issues — if the Democrats agreed to the stopgap spending measure lasting a little less than three weeks.Progressive groups expressed criticism of Democrats for agreeing to reopen the government without a firmer commitment to solve the Dreamer issue.A block of liberal Democrats — some of them 2020 presidential hopefuls — stuck to their opposition. Sens. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, Dianne Feinstein of California, Kirsten Gillibrand of New York and Cory Booker of New Jersey voted no, as did Independent Bernie Sanders of Vermont.Feinstein said she wasn't persuaded by McConnell's assurances and did not know how a proposal to protect the more than 700,000 younger immigrants would fare in the House.House Speaker Paul Ryan told 'Fox and Friends' Monday that if the Senate approved a temporary spending bill to reopen the government through Feb. 8, the House would approve it, too.The Senate vote came as most government offices cut back drastically or even closed on Monday, as the major effects of the shutdown were first being felt with the beginning of the workweek.McConnell said he hoped to reach bipartisan solutions on immigration, border security, disaster aid, military funding and more by Feb. 8. If not, he said 'it would be my intention to take up legislation' addressing those issues.The Senate over the weekend inched closer but ultimately fell short of a deal that could have reopened the government before the beginning of the workweek. McConnell and Schumer said negotiations lasted late into the night.On Sunday night, Democrats appeared to be holding out for a firmer commitment from McConnell. 'We have yet to reach an agreement on a path forward,' Schumer said then.There were hours of behind-the-scenes talks over the weekend between the leaders and rank-and-file lawmakers over how to end the display of legislative dysfunction, which began at midnight Friday after Democrats blocked a temporary spending measure. Democrats have sought to use the spending bill to win concessions, including protections for roughly 700,000 younger immigrants.Republicans have appeared increasingly confident that Democrats are bearing the brunt of criticism for the shutdown and that they will ultimately buckle. The White House and GOP leaders said they would not negotiate with Democrats on immigration until the government is reopened.President Trump on Monday accused Democrats of prioritizing services and security for noncitizens over U.S. citizens. 'Not good,' his first tweet said. In a second tweet, he said, 'Democrats have shut down our government in the interests of their far left base. They don't want to do it but are powerless!'Trump's first tweet appeared to undercut comments by his legislative affairs director, Marc Short, who told CNN that the immigrants in question are law-abiding and 'productive to our society.' Short says the administration wants to 'find a pathway for them' to stay in the U.S.It appeared that Democratic resolve was beginning to waver, with growing worries that a prolonged shutdown could prove to be an electoral headache for the party just as it has grown more confident about prospects in November midterm elections.Although they initially dug in on a demand for an immigration deal, Democrats had shifted to blaming the shutdown on the incompetence of Republicans and Trump, seeming sensitive to being seen by voters as willing to tie up government operations to protect immigrants.Trump, who regularly disrupted negotiations in recent weeks, had been a relatively subdued player in the weekend debate. He has not appeared in public since Friday afternoon. The White House said he was in regular contact with Republican leaders, but he has not reached out to any Democrats, a White House official said.Democrats are facing intense pressure from their base to solve the issue over the young immigrants, commonly referred to as 'Dreamers,' and they are skeptical of Republicans' credibility when offering to take up the issue. Whether Trump would back the emerging plan or any later proposal on immigration is an open question.While lawmakers feuded, signs of the shutdown were evident at national parks and in some federal agencies. Social Security and most other safety-net programs were unaffected by the lapse in federal spending authority. Critical government functions continued, with uniformed service members, health inspectors and law enforcement officers set to work without pay.___Associated Press writers Mary Clare Jalonick, Kevin Freking, Catherine Lucey contributed to this report.
  • A Mexican Uber driver living in the U.S. illegally was charged Monday with raping, assaulting and robbing young women in California, prosecutors said.Alfonso Alarcon-Nunez's four alleged victims are between 19 and 22 years old and three were intoxicated when they were assaulted, San Luis Obispo County District Attorney Dan Dow told reporters.Officials said Alarcon-Nunez was not always driving for Uber when he picked up those women but said the alleged crimes show that the company should improve its driver screening process, Dow said.Alarcon-Nunez, 39, faces 10 criminal charges including forcible rape, rape of an intoxicated victim, oral copulation of an intoxicated victim and first degree burglary. It wasn't immediately known if Alarcon-Nunez has an attorney. His arraignment was scheduled for later Monday.Detectives are looking for potential witnesses and trying to determine if there are additional victims in San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara counties northwest of Los Angeles, where the Alarcon-Nunez had been driving for Uber since September of last year, Dow said. He had a valid California license issued in 2015.Prosecutors said Alarcon-Nunez solicited rides as an Uber driver, targeting drunk women. Then he drove women to their homes, assaulted them, and stole property including cellphones, computers, and jewelry, officials said.He collected his fare payments through the smartphone app Venmo to disguise his identity and his Uber records, officials said.Alarcon-Nunez has also gone by the name 'Bruno Diaz' and his Venmo username was 'Brush Bat,' prosecutors said.Predators in cars parked outside bars or restaurants 'jump in front of the actual Uber driver and they will take someone unsuspecting to their home. And that's a way of putting someone at risk, and in this case that's exactly what's alleged to have happened,' Dow said.Dow urged Uber users to make sure they are getting in the car of the correct driver by verifying the license plate and other information provided to clients.DNA evidence helped lead detectives to Alarcon-Nunez, who was arrested at his Santa Maria home last week, Dow said. The alleged crimes are said to have occurred in December and January in San Luis Obispo, a city of about 45,000 with a large population of college students.Dow urged Uber and other ride-hailing companies to beef up background checks. Uber spokesman Michael Amodeo did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment.Alarcon-Nunez returned to the U.S. illegally after a voluntary deportation from New Mexico in 2005, officials said. Dow did not have details about why he was deported or whether he has a criminal record in the U.S.Alarcon-Nunez's immigration status will not have a bearing on the prosecution, Dow said. He could face life in prison if convicted on all charges.___Follow Weber at https://twitter.com/WeberCM .
  • A device that heats tobacco without burning it reduces some of the harmful chemicals in traditional cigarettes, but government scientists say it's unclear if that translates into lower rates of disease for smokers who switch.U.S. regulators published a mixed review Monday of the closely watched cigarette alternative from Philip Morris International. The company hopes to market the electronic device as the first 'reduced-risk' tobacco product ever sanctioned by the U.S. government.Philip Morris' penlike device, called iQOS (EYE-kose), is already sold in more than 30 countries, including Canada, Japan and the United Kingdom. But Philip Morris and its U.S. partner, Altria, need the permission of the Food and Drug Administration to sell it in the U.S.iQOS heats strips of Marlboro-branded tobacco but stops short of burning them, producing a tobacco vapor that includes nicotine. This is different from e-cigarettes, which don't use tobacco at all but instead vaporize liquid usually containing nicotine. Nicotine is what makes cigarettes addictive.Philip Morris believes its product is closer to the taste and experience of traditional cigarettes, making it more attractive to smokers and reducing their contact with tar and other toxic byproducts of burning cigarettes.Company scientists will present their studies and marketing plan to a panel of FDA advisers this week. The panel's recommendation, expected Thursday, is non-binding: the FDA will make the ultimate decision on the device later this year.A greenlight from FDA would mark a major milestone in efforts by both the industry and government to provide less harmful tobacco products to smokers who can't or won't quit cigarettes. Despite decades of tax hikes, smoking bans and campaigns, about 15 percent of U.S. adults smoke.The FDA review paints a mixed picture of the potential benefits of the iQOS 'heat-not-burn' approach.Levels of certain harmful chemicals were between 55 and 99 percent lower in the vapor produced by iQOS than in cigarette smoke. But animal and laboratory studies submitted by the company also suggested the chemicals could still be toxic and contribute to precancerous growths. A company study in mice could help clarify the cancer risk, but the FDA said the results would not be available until later this year.Under a 2009 law, the FDA gained authority to regulate a number of aspects of the tobacco industry. The same law allows the agency to scientifically review and permit sales of new products shown to be less dangerous than what's currently available. But the FDA has not yet allowed any company to advertise a 'reduced-risk' tobacco product.To meet FDA requirements, a company must show that the product will improve the health of individual users and the overall population. Additionally, the product should not appeal to non-smokers or interfere with smokers looking to quit.The FDA review said some non-smokers, including young people, would likely experiment with iQOS. Reviewers also questioned if smokers would completely switch to iQOS from cigarettes. In company studies, less than 20 percent of U.S. users switched completely to iQOS over six weeks.Philip Morris and other global tobacco companies are diversifying their products beyond traditional cigarettes, making investments in e-cigarettes, heated tobacco products and chewable tobacco pouches, among other alternatives. While cigarettes remain enormously profitable the global market continues to contract amid worldwide campaigns to discourage smoking.The FDA itself has signaled its intention to begin pushing U.S. consumers away from traditional cigarettes toward alternative products. As part of the effort, FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb wants to drastically cut nicotine levels in traditional cigarettes to help smokers quit.