ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
91°
Partly Cloudy
H 92° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    91°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 92° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    92°
    Today
    Partly Cloudy. H 92° L 74°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    90°
    Tomorrow
    Chance of T-storms. H 90° L 69°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National
Los Angeles takes another step toward 2028 Games
Close

Los Angeles takes another step toward 2028 Games

Los Angeles takes another step toward 2028 Games
Photo Credit: AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, File
FILE - In this May 11, 2017, file photo, Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, the venue proposed for Olympic opening and closing ceremonies and track and field events. stands in Los Angeles. The Los Angeles City Council is expected Friday, Aug. 11, 2017 to endorse a proposal to host the 2028 Olympics, following an announcement of a deal last month to leave 2024 to Paris. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, File)

Los Angeles takes another step toward 2028 Games

Los Angeles took another step Friday toward bringing the 2028 Olympics to the city, despite questions about future costs.

The City Council voted 12-0 to endorse documents at the heart of its plan to stage the Summer Olympics for the third time since 1932. The contract outlines Los Angeles' financial responsibility in hosting the Games, including covering shortfalls if the $5.3 billion plan runs into the red. In addition, a budget for the proposed 2028 Games has not been completed.

The vote followed a morning-long committee hearing that mingled civic cheerleading and salutes to Olympic champions past with warnings about potential costs and suggestions the international event would drive up housing costs and drive out the homeless.

"This opportunity is too great, we cannot pass it up," council President Herb Wesson Jr. said.

The vote took place less than two weeks after the city announced an agreement with international Olympic leaders ceding the 2024 Games to rival Paris, while opening the way for Los Angeles to host the 2028 Games.

The U.S. Olympic Committee board of directors must also approve the deal. The International Olympic Committee vote to award the two Olympics is scheduled for September in Lima, Peru.

City analysts concluded that the 2028 plan, while incomplete, included significant safeguards for taxpayer dollars. The Olympics have a notorious history of runaway costs, but city officials have argued their proposal can stay within budget by relying on the region's many existing stadiums and arenas, including the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and Staples Center.

Los Angeles had bid on the 2024 Games, but embraced the 2028 alternative after Paris emerged as the front-runner for 2024 and the IOC proposed the unusual dual award.

At one point during the sometimes tense meeting, Councilman Joe Buscaino shouted at a heckler, "This is right for the city." As the vote was being taken, protesters yelled from the back of the council chamber, "Let us speak" and "sellout."

Steve Ducey of No Olympics LA, an opposition group, said the vote would take place without an independent budget analysis.

"Shame on you," he said.

Much of the meeting amounted to a choreographed tribute to the city's Olympic legacy, with frequent references to the LA Games in 1932 and 1984 and the athletes who competed in them.

Olympic champions Carl Lewis and Janet Evans, who are part of a private committee behind the bid, urged approval of the plan.

Lewis, holder of nine Olympic gold medals in track and field, said the Games are not just an event, "it's about a whole city."

The deal comes with millions of dollars of financial sweeteners for accepting the later date. However, the extra four years pose challenges for Los Angeles from maintaining public interest to rewriting deals for stadiums, arenas and housing that were all hooked to 2024.

City analysts recommended the council approve the contract, which faced an Aug. 18 deadline, but also emphasized a revised budget for 2028 could take months to complete.

"There are inherent risks to hosting such major events so far into the future," city analysts noted in a report on the agreement.

The bulk of the revenue for the Games is expected to come from ticket sales and corporate sponsorships.

Part of the deal includes creation of a reserve fund to cover any cost overruns, with the city kicking in $270 million. The state is expected to commit a similar amount, but because of the legislative calendar the state might not be able to consider its piece of the proposal until next year.

In a statement, Mayor Eric Garcetti called the agreement "the deal of a lifetime."

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

News

  • Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner sidestepped comment on a political cartoon critics have called racist, saying Tuesday he doesn't have anything to add to the discussion 'as a white male.' The first-term Republican has previously said he hadn't seen the image, which depicts a black Chicago schoolchild begging for money from a suit-clad white man who has cash stuffed in one pocket. The cartoon was circulated online last week by the Chicago-based Illinois Policy Institute, a conservative think tank Rauner has links to. However, lawmakers widely criticized the image, with Republicans and Democrats standing up in opposition on the Illinois House floor last week. The image, meant to illustrate inequity in school funding, was removed hours later. Rauner's spokeswoman, Laurel Patrick, said Tuesday that the governor has respect for lawmakers who have concerns, but he's also heard from black residents 'who found truth in the imagery and do not find the cartoon offensive.' 'The cartoon was removed days ago. And the governor — as a white male — does not have anything more to add to the discussion,' Patrick said in a statement first sent to Chicago's WMAQ-TV. 'The fixation on this cartoon and the governor's opinion of it has been disappointing.' Reaction to Rauner's statement was swift, with some saying it raised more questions. 'It is both a display of cowardice and a stunning abdication of moral leadership by the governor,' said Rep. Christian Mitchell, a black Chicago Democrat. 'Is he saying his being a white male is more important than his role as governor? Is he saying he will no longer comment on issues because he's a white male?' Critics said the cartoon was reminiscent of racist stereotypes found in imagery of past decades, with many calling it insensitive in the wake of the deadly attack at a white nationalist rally in Virginia. Patrick said Rauner 'would never try to talk anyone out of their reaction to any piece of art, political or nonpolitical, right or left, good or bad.' Rauner, a wealthy businessman, donated to the Illinois Policy Institute before he became governor. In recent weeks, he's also hired top aides who worked there, including the former president as his chief of staff. Rauner is running for re-election next year. ___ Follow Sophia Tareen on Twitter at https://twitter.com/sophiatareen. Sign up for the AP's weekly newsletter showcasing our best reporting from the Midwest and Texas at http://apne.ws/2u1RMfv.
  • Visitors to the University of Southern California might well be muttering, 'What fools these mortals be' as they stroll past a statue of the legendary queen of Troy and notice William Shakespeare's name seemingly misspelled at its base. To USC officials, it's much ado about nothing. 'To E, or not to E, that is the question,' the school responded in a statement Tuesday when asked why Shakespeare's name is missing the last letter E in a quotation attributed to him. The school noted Shakespeare has been spelled nearly two dozen different ways over the years. Officials say they settled on Shakespear, a spelling popular in the 18th century, because of the 'ancient feel' sculptor Christopher Slatoff brought to his larger-than-life bronze work of Queen Hecuba. The bard himself was known to switch up the spelling of his last name during his lifetime, although he did spell it Shakespeare on the last page of his will, filed shortly before his death in 1616. He referenced Hecuba in several of his works, most prominently in 'Hamlet,' in which Hamlet asks how the legendary queen of Troy grieved over the death of her husband, King Priam. Her statue was unveiled to great fanfare at Thursday's opening of the school's new USC Village. The $700 million project brings new restaurants, retail stores and other amenities to both students and the general public, as well as 2,500 new units of student housing. It represents the largest expansion in USC's history. Hecuba was commissioned as a female counterpart to Tommy Trojan, the popular life-size bronze of a Trojan warrior that stands in the center of campus. Unveiled in 1930, Tommy Trojan has become a mascot of sorts to a school whose sports teams are the Trojans. 'This is our commitment to all of the women of the Trojan family,' USC President C. L. Max Nikias said at Hecuba's unveiling.
  • Republican Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens stayed the execution of Marcellus Williams, 48, following public outcry to do so. Williams was previously granted a stay of execution in 2015 only to have it denied again earlier in August despite DNA evidence exonerating him of the 1998 stabbing death of former St. Louis Post-Dispatch reporter Lisha Gayle, 42. >> Read more trending news Greitens announced the decision only hours before Williams was scheduled to die via lethal injection on Tuesday at 6 p.m. “A sentence of death is the ultimate, permanent punishment. To carry out the death penalty, the people of Missouri must have confidence in the judgment of guilt. In light of new information, I am appointing a Board of Inquiry in this case,” Greitens announced in a statement. The statement also announced that Greitens will choose the five members of the board. Prior to the decision, many on the internet spent part of Monday and much of Tuesday spreading awareness of Williams’ story using #MarcellusWilliams.
  • A former lottery computer programmer who admitted to rigging computers to enable him to pick winning numbers and cheat four states out of $2.2 million in several lottery games over six years was sentenced to up to 25 years in prison in Iowa on Tuesday. 'I regret my actions and I'm sorry for the people I hurt,' said Eddie Tipton, 54, the former information technology manager for the Multi-State Lottery Association, a central Iowa organization that provides number-picking computers for lotteries in 33 states the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Tipton's voice quivered when asked by Judge Brad McCall to speak during the sentencing hearing. After McCall issued the sentence, Tipton was handcuffed and taken away by sheriff's deputies. Under Iowa law, Tipton is likely to serve far less than 25 years — probably between three and five years, said Iowa Assistant Attorney General Rob Sand, who prosecuted the case. The Iowa Board of Parole will ultimately determine how long he's behind bars. 'I think when you're an insider who abuses your position of trust and privilege you should expect to see the inside of a jail cell,' Sand said. Tipton's attorney asked McCall to give Tipton probation in Iowa, arguing his client was unfairly being treated far more harshly than other people involved in the scheme. As part of his plea deal, Tipton also admitted to committing theft by fraud and a computer crime in Wisconsin, where he'll be sentenced Sept. 18. The agreement allows him to serve his Wisconsin sentence — likely to be three to four years — at the same time he serves the Iowa prison sentence. Tipton also agreed to repay the $2.2 million to the four states from which he rigged games and jackpots were paid, but he told McCall it's unclear how he will get the money. He said he hopes to study ministry and get a job in that field after prison. 'Hopefully you're going to get rid of that greed and gain a little common sense during your prison stay,' McCall said. Tipton helped write the computer code behind several U.S. lottery games, including some of its biggest including Powerball, Mega Millions and Hot Lotto. He worked for the lottery association from 2003 until 2015 and was its computer information security director for his last two years there. Tipton admitted in June to installing code that prompted the computers to produce predictable numbers only on certain days. Tipton said he gave the numbers to his brother, Tommy Tipton, and longtime friend Robert Rhodes and others to play and often split the winnings with them. Tommy Tipton is serving a 75-day jail sentence in Texas after pleading guilty to a theft charge. Rhodes is expected to get probation when he's sentenced on Aug. 25 for a computer crime charge. The games Eddie Tipton fixed included Colorado Lotto in November 2005, Megabucks in Wisconsin in December 2007, 2by2 in Kansas and Hot Lotto in Iowa in December 2010, and Hot Lotto in Oklahoma in November 2011. Iowa Lottery officials became suspicious and never paid the jackpot when Tipton and Rhodes tried to cash a $14 million Iowa Hot Lotto ticket bought in 2010. 'Eddie Tipton had the keys to the kingdom and those are the things we changed immediately to make sure any equipment he touched was removed and we continue to look ahead and make sure we have those checks and balances as we proceed,' Iowa Lottery CEO Terry Rich said. ___ Follow David Pitt on Twitter at https://twitter.com/davepitt ___ Sign up for the AP's weekly newsletter showcasing our best reporting from the Midwest and Texas: http://apne.ws/2u1RMfv
  • Two Georgia police officers were arrested Tuesday on charges related to child abuse. According to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, 47-year-old Tracy Jones and 36-year-old Rosemary Jones were arrested in Sylvester and booked into the Worth County Jail. The GBI says it was asked to investigate allegations of the couple mistreating their adopted children. Tracey Jones, an officer with the Jacksonville Police Department, was charged with two felony counts of cruelty to children in the first degree. Rosemary Jones, an officer with the Poulan Police Department, was charged with two counts of cruelty to children in the first degree, two counts of aggravated assault and one count of false imprisonment.
  • Peachtree City Little Leaguer Jayce Blalock, whose grand slam during a game made headlines earlier this month, is back at it again – this time at SunTrust Park. Video of the 13-year-old’s 375-foot shot into the trees during a game against a South Carolina team was viewed more than 1 million times. The Atlanta Braves tweeted videos Tuesday of Blalock hitting another 375-foot shot at SunTrust Park.  You've seen Peachtree City Little Leaguer Jayce Blalock hit a 375 foot shot in the trees. Now, he's conquered @SunTrustPark! pic.twitter.com/uTPjlu0oT6 — Atlanta Braves (@Braves) August 22, 2017 Upon further review, 13-year-old Jayce Blalock went mammo! Yes, 13. pic.twitter.com/oOPJfbnVLp — Atlanta Braves (@Braves) August 22, 2017 Here's Blalock's grand slam from earlier this month:  'They said he could hit it into the trees ...' You were saying? #LLWS pic.twitter.com/QcWJnimLnV — Little League (@LittleLeague) August 6, 2017