ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
56°
Mostly Cloudy
H 61° L 45°
  • cloudy-day
    56°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Cloudy. H 61° L 45°
  • cloudy-day
    61°
    Today
    Mostly Cloudy. H 61° L 45°
  • cloudy-day
    61°
    Tomorrow
    Partly Cloudy. H 61° L 41°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National
Dog that killed Ohio woman will be euthanized
Close

Dog that killed Ohio woman will be euthanized

Fatal pit bull attack still being investigated

Dog that killed Ohio woman will be euthanized

UDPATE: Julie Whisman, the woman whose dog attacked and killed her 59-year-old mother on Monday at their Ohio home, has relinquished the dog to the county following the completion of the sheriff's investigation.

“At this time, no charges will be filed. The detectives found no evidence that this dog had been aggressive in the past,” said Lt. Mike Craft of the Butler County Sheriff's Department.

Sheriff’s deputies said Cindy Whisman, 59, was dead when they arrived at her ranch-style home in Madison Township about 1:10 p.m. Monday. A 911 call was received at 1:03 p.m. from a neighbor who told dispatchers that she saw a woman being attacked by a dog, according to sheriff’s officials.

>> Read more trending stories

Because the dog, named Polo, killed a person, it is considered unadoptable and will be euthanized, Craft said.

Meg Stephenson, executive director of Animal Friends Humane Society, said that given the scenario, “placement of the dog is not an option."

Julie Whisman told Cox Media Group Ohio on Tuesday the she was undecided about whether she wanted the dog back.

Detectives have taken DNA from the dog, described as a pit bull by the owner, to determine the exact breed of the dog, which the dog wardens believe may be part Preso Canario.

But exactly what caused the dog to attack remains unknown, Craft said. 

This is a breaking news update. Below is the original story from Cox Media Group Ohio.

-------

ORIGINAL STORY: A 59-year-old woman died Monday after being attacked by her daughter’s pit bull in the backyard of her home in Madison Township, Ohio, officials said.

According to the Dayton Daily News, sheriff’s deputies confirmed that Cindy Whisman, 59, was dead when they arrived at her home at about 1:10 p.m. A 911 call was received at 1:03 p.m. from a neighbor who told dispatchers that she had seen a woman being attacked by her dog, according to sheriff’s officials.

In the frantic 911 call recording, a woman can be heard screaming for help and breathlessly trying to tell dispatchers about the attack.

“Hurry! My neighbor’s dog is biting her,” the woman tells the dispatcher between cries for help. “It’s a pit bull; she’s all bloody.”

>> RELATED: Police: Dog attacks, kills baby in Ohio

Kurt Merbs, Butler County’s assistant dog warden supervisor, confirmed the dog is believed to be a pit bull-Presa Canario mix.

According to Butler County records, of the 694 pit bulls registered in the county, none were listed at Whisman’s address.

Cindy Whisman’s daughter, Julie Whisman, told WCPO-TV that her mother was at her home watching her 2-year-old son when she received the call of the attack while at work.

She and family members were “shocked” by what happened, she said. There had been no problems with the dog, who is named Polo, before Monday, she said.

“As far as I know, my neighbor told me she saw her and the dog outside,” said Julie Whisman, who had moved in with her mother just two months ago. “She thought they were playing back and forth like this, then all of a sudden, she saw her on the ground and kept saying, 'Polo, Polo,' because that was the dog’s name, and she was rolling over, so she (the neighbor) called 911 and then she didn’t see her no more.”

>> RELATED: Baby's dog-mauling death in Ohio ruled an accident

Merbs said the red-and-white colored dog had blood on its chest when deputies arrived and was “very aggressive” as attempts were made to remove it from the home. He said it took two people using two pole snares to secure the animal, which is now in the hands of the Butler County Animal Friends Humane Society. A second dog — a black Labrador retriever — was also removed from the home as a safety precaution, Merbs said.

Sgt. Melissa Gerhardt, of the sheriff’s office, said Whisman’s husband was home at the time of the attack, but he told investigators that he did not hear any screams. It is unknown what provoked the dog to attack Whisman, Gerhardt said. Detectives said the woman suffered injuries to her face, neck and body.

Reporters knocked on the doors of the neighbor who called 911, but no one answered. A small, red sign that read “Beware of Dog” could be seen on the Whismans’ front door.

Wayne H. Walker, 79, who lives next door to Whisman, said he was outside doing yard work with headphones on when another neighbor ran up to him screaming about Whisman being attacked by her dog. He said he grabbed his walking stick and immediately ran next door.

“I didn’t think to go get my gun in the house,” Walker said.

When he arrived next door, Walker said Whisman’s 2-year-old grandson was standing in the yard and the dog was “still right there with Cindy, licking her face.” Walker said he knew Whisman “was dead right away” and that it appeared as though she had been bitten multiple times around the face area.

“It looked like it (the dog) took a chunk of her throat out around the jugular,” he said.

At that point, Walker hit the dog across the face with his walking stick and the dog ran away, he said. He immediately grabbed the child and went inside Whisman’s house. The child did not appear to be injured, Walker said.

Walker, who has known Whisman for 40 years, said her husband has health issues and rarely leaves their house.

“It was a terrible thing that happened to her,” he said. “She was a good woman.”

Julie Whisman called her mother her best friend.

“Great sweet, loving lady, would do anything for anybody. She loved her grandson more than you would ever know,” she said.

Detectives roped of the entire backyard for several hours while investigating. Whisman’s body was removed from behind the shed in the yard by an investigator from the Butler County Coroner’s Office about 3 p.m. 

Family members will have the option to get ownership of the dog back, pending a court hearing and an order by a judge, detectives said. If they opt to not keep the dog, it will be euthanized after the investigation is complete, detectives said. Julie Whisman told WCPO she does not want the dog back.

Monday’s dog attack was the fourth serious dog mauling — and third fatality — to happen in southwest Ohio this year. It is the first fatal dog attack in Butler County since 1998, according to sheriff’s officials.

Read More

News

  • Investigators have released photos and surveillance video in hopes of identifying the gunmen who killed a restaurant manager during a robbery this weekend. According to police, three men entered Barcelona Wine Bar on Howell Mill Road in the West Midtown neighborhood as it was closing around 1:45 a.m. Sunday, and tied up the employees with electrical tape.  The men then forced the manager, 29-year-old Chelsea Beller , upstairs to open up the safe. That’s when they shot her. Beller later died at Grady Memorial Hospital.  'I think it's important for us all to acknowledge that this isn't Atlanta. This isn't the Wild Wild West,' Beller's friend Tyler Walters said.  @Atlanta_Police just released this dramatic surveillance from inside Barcelona wine bar of Sunday’s deadly robbery. https://t.co/YHueSecqL7 Police need your help. $7k reward for info. @wsbtv pic.twitter.com/QJG5xHIZMv — Aaron Diamant (@AaronDiamantWSB) November 20, 2017 As Channel 2’s Carl Willis went through the new video, he saw Atlanta police back at the scene looking for evidence in the shooting. Beller's friends say the 29-year-old considered co-workers and restaurant regulars her family. TRENDING STORIES: Police release dramatic video, photos of gunmen who killed restaurant manager Out with a bang: Georgia Dome comes down in Atlanta Grandmother says Facebook Live saved her life: 'I could have died' 'She was the salt of the earth. She was the type of person that had a genuine sense of caring,' Walters said. “She loved coming to work. She loved what she did. It was just a place that she felt happy and she enjoyed what she did.' Investigators are hoping that even though the suspects' faces are masked, that someone might have an idea who they are, and bring a little peace to those grieving over Beller’s loss.  “Money is money, but killing young ladies who are in the prime of their lives, that's not who Atlanta is,' Walter told Willis.  A reward of up to $7,000 is being offered for information leading to an arrest and indictment. The Atlanta Police Department released a statement about the incident, saying:  “No crime against our citizens, anywhere in the city, is acceptable. But the robbery and murder of an innocent restaurant manager doing her job is a terrible crime that has shocked even the most jaded among us here at APD,' the department said in a statement Monday. 'We have made fighting violent crime our priority, and this incident underscores that our work is never done. Our investigators are working diligently to find those responsible for this crime. We will continue to focus our efforts on identifying and apprehending violent repeat offenders who prey on innocent people. These crimes are unacceptable, and we will not rest in our pursuit of shutting down these violent criminals.” Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to contact police through Crime Stoppers Atlanta . Their phone number is 404-577-8477 and you can remain anonymous.
  • Channel 2 Action News has learned that an armed man who authorities said escaped an Alabama jail may now be in metro Atlanta. Shane Anthony Vernon escaped the Coosa County Jail Sunday, local authorities said.   On Tuesday, U.S. Marshals told Channel 2 Investigative Reporter Nicole Carr that Vernon kidnapped a man from Alabama and dropped him and the car off in Douglasville. Vernon was nowhere to be found. TRENDING STORIES: Ex-Braves GM banned for life by MLB; Atlanta loses prospects 60+ people fall ill after company Thanksgiving party Jailhouse phone calls reveal aftermath of deadly heroin-fueled crash Vernon is considered armed and dangerous. Coosa County Sheriff Terry Wilson explained the timeline to Carr Tuesday afternoon. He told Carr on Oct. 30, Vernon got out of handcuffs during booking for another home invasion. 'He pulled out his restraints and ran out the jail,' Wilson told Carr by phone. Out of the jail and into the woods we're told he went. He was captured almost immediately. But on Sunday, things changed. 'He was allowed to use one of the inmate telephones in the jail. And a corrections officer did not properly secure the door,' Wilson explained. It was an officer's actions that led to a second escape and now an internal investigation. 'He was able to climb through the ceiling and go over four other secured doors to get to the other side and went out the door again.' A map takes on Vernon's crime spree after his jail ceiling escape. There were residents tied up and robbed on Sunday. On Monday, a family including a 2-year-old child, were tied up as Vernon continued to steal cars, guns and a bike. Finally on Monday night, as he tried to hide a stolen van, he forced an Elmore County man into a car and drove him to metro Atlanta. That's where the man somehow escaped Vernon Tuesday morning and made it to the Douglasville Police Department while Vernon took off to parts unknown. 'It's a tragedy all the way around. I just hope that we can get him picked up before he hurts somebody,' Wilson said. The sheriff said they'll be processing the stolen car and have a better idea of how this happened by tomorrow morning.   CONFIRMED w/Alabama Sheriff: This is the second time in three weeks that Shane Vernon has escaped the Coosa Co. jail. Sunday’s escape was through ceiling tile exit. Now may be in Metro ATL armed, dangerous, authorities say @wsbtv pic.twitter.com/H3VJbpY74B — Nicole Carr (@NicoleCarrWSB) November 21, 2017
  • The Latest on sexual misconduct allegations against Charlie Rose (all times local):1:35 p.m.PBS has ended its partnership with Charlie Rose, host of its long-running interview show, after several women accused him of sexual misconduct.The 75-year-old Rose has interviewed newsmakers in the media, entertainment, business and politics weeknights on PBS' schedule since 1991. PBS had suspended his show late Monday after The Washington Post published an article about women who said he groped them and walked around naked in front of them.While PBS has distributed the program, it is produced by a company owned by Rose.PBS' announcement that it was terminating its relationship with the host came an hour after CBS News announced it was terminating Rose, who hosted 'CBS This Morning' and contributed to '60 Minutes.'In a statement, PBS said that the service 'expects all the producers we work with to provide a workplace where people feel safe and are treated with dignity and respect.'___12:33 p.m.CBS News has fired Charlie Rose after several women accused the veteran newsman of sexual misconduct.Rose has been one of three hosts of 'CBS This Morning' since 2012 and is also a contributor to '60 Minutes.' PBS and Bloomberg also suspended airings of Rose's nightly interview show after the Washington Post published an article Monday about women who said he groped them and walked around naked in front of them.CBS News President David Rhodes said there is nothing more important than assuring a safe, professional workplace. CBS had already suspended him.Rose's co-hosts on the morning show, Gayle King and Norah O'Donnell, were sharply critical of their colleague on Tuesday. King said the allegations did not fit the Rose she knew, but that 'I'm clearly on the side of the women who have been very hurt and damaged by this.'___7:40 a.m.Charlie Rose's morning show co-hosts on CBS are shaken by the sexual misconduct allegations against him, but say they support the women who have come forward to tell their stories.'CBS This Morning' was put in the unusual position of reporting on one of their own hosts as their lead story Tuesday after the Washington Post disclosed that several women accused him of groping them and walking naked in front of them.Co-host Norah O'Donnell says it's a time of reckoning for women. She said, 'This has to end.'Her co-host, Gayle King, said it's not the man she knows, but said she's on the side of the women who are hurt and damaged.
  • A sports doctor accused of molesting several girls while working for USA Gymnastics and Michigan State University will plead guilty to multiple charges of sexual assault and face at least 25 years in prison, a person with knowledge of the agreement said.The person was not authorized to publicly discuss the agreement ahead of a Wednesday court hearing for Dr. Larry Nassar in Michigan's Ingham County and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.Nassar, 54, is charged with molesting seven girls, all but one of whom were gymnasts, mostly under the guise of treatment at his Lansing-area home and a campus clinic. He's facing similar charges in a neighboring county and lawsuits filed by more than 125 women and girls.Olympic gymnasts Aly Raisman, McKayla Maroney and Gabby Douglas are among the women who have publicly said they were among Nassar's victims.The plea deal in Ingham County calls for a minimum prison sentence of 25 years, but a judge could set the minimum sentence as high as 40 years. In Michigan, inmates are eligible for parole after serving a minimum sentence.The girls have testified that Nassar molested them with his hands, sometimes when a parent was present in the room, while they sought help for gymnastics injuries.'He convinced these girls that this was some type of legitimate treatment,' Assistant Attorney General Angela Poviliatis told a judge last summer. 'Why would they question him? Why would they question this gymnastics god?'Separately, Nassar is charged with similar crimes in Eaton County, the location of an elite gymnastics club. He also is awaiting sentencing in federal court on child pornography charges.
  • A condemned killer whose poor veins led Ohio to halt his execution has appealed a judge's decision upholding the state's lethal injection system.Death row inmate Alva Campbell argues that Ohio's process raises an unconstitutional risk of serious harm because the first of three drugs may not render inmates completely unconscious.Lawyers for Campbell and fellow death row inmate Raymond Tibbetts announced the appeal to the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Tuesday.Federal Judge Michael Merz rejected the inmates' arguments earlier this month.Ohio prisons director Gary Mohr stopped Campbell's execution Nov. 15 after executioners said they couldn't find usable veins.Campbell has a new execution date in June 2019.Tibbetts is scheduled to die Feb. 13 for fatally stabbing a Cincinnati man in 1997.
  • A year of events marking the 100th anniversary of President John F. Kennedy's birth is drawing to a close exactly 54 years after his assassination.National park rangers will lay a wreath outside Kennedy's childhood home in Brookline, Massachusetts, and a 21-gun salute by an honor guard will follow.Wednesday's solemn commemorations fall on the anniversary of Kennedy's assassination in Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963.The observances are being held at what is now known as the John Fitzgerald Kennedy National Historic Site administered by the National Park Service.The nation's 35th president was born in the leafy Boston suburb on May 29, 1917. Over the past year, numerous conferences and other events have been held worldwide to examine JFK's legacy and imagine his impact had he survived.