ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
82°
Mostly Clear
H 86° L 68°
  • cloudy-day
    82°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Clear. H 86° L 68°
  • clear-day
    86°
    Today
    Mostly Clear. H 86° L 68°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    81°
    Tomorrow
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 81° L 70°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National
Burglars say shop owner tortured them, made them strip naked after they broke into store
Close

Burglars say shop owner tortured them, made them strip naked after they broke into store

Shop Owner Tortures Burglars Trying to Break In

Burglars say shop owner tortured them, made them strip naked after they broke into store

A burglary call at an Orange County business ended with the arrests of not only the suspects who broke in, but the owner of the bicycle shop and two others, as well.

The culprits claim the owner tortured them for hours before calling 911.

They claim the owner of the bike shop made them strip down to their underwear, beat them and held them at gunpoint for more than two hours.

>> Read more trending stories  

According to the arrest affidavit, Jose Gonzalez, 27, and Michael Eller, 28, admitted to deputies that they broke into the Gas bikes shop on North Orange Blossom Trail early Sunday morning.

Once inside, they were confronted by shop owner Robert Antley, who was waiting for them with a gun. According to the report, Antley told deputies that he had been sleeping inside the store due to several prior burglaries there. But instead of calling 911 to report the break-in, Eller and Gonzalez told deputies, Antley allegedly made the two men strip down to their underwear and face a wall. The report said the burglars told deputies Antley jabbed the gun into both men's sides and threatened to kill them.

Eller told deputies that at least an hour passed before Antley's brother, Joshua, 24, and his girlfriend, Kathryn Pellicio, showed up.

Eller and Gonzalez said they were then led to a bathroom in the back of the store where they were beaten for more than an hour.

Antley claimed his cellphone battery was dead and claimed the men had cut his phone wires at the shop, the report said.

Antley told deputies he called 911 when his brother arrived, but deputies said they were not able to corroborate his statements.

WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer said property owners have a right to protect themselves.

“You are allowed to engage in conduct that is reasonable, necessary and lawful to protect yourself or your property, but one may argue that these efforts were neither reasonable nor lawful," Sheaffer said.

Antley bonded out of jail Monday afternoon. His brother and his girlfriend remain jailed.

Eller and Gonzalez remain in the Orange County Jail. 


Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

News

  • A college student from Gwinnett County is doing his part to help fight hunger using technology.  Jack Griffin, a junior at the University of Michigan, was just a sophomore at Peachtree Ridge High School when he was touched by a news story showing kids his age homeless and in need of food.  “It’s such an invisible problem that, if you’re not impacted by it, it’s so hard to see,” he tells WSB.  While trying to find a place to volunteer, he found the search so cumbersome he knew it would be difficult for those in need to find them.   So, while still in high school, Griffin created the non-profit FoodFinder to help people locate nearby food pantries or free meals. He raised money to develop a website and then added a phone app last year.  “Eighty percent of these kids still have access to a phone. Sixty percent still have access to a smart phone. It’s not an iPhone 7-type deal, but they are going to have access to the internet because it’s a huge lifeline,” says Griffin.  He says organizations that offer food programs including the USDA have partnered with Foodfinder to make sure information on location and times are available on the app.  “There is about a thousand free resources all across the state of Georgia,” he says, with that number reaching more than 3,000 right now to make sure kids are fed during the summer months.  Griffin, who is a business major and community action minor, is working this summer to get the word out about the app and increase access to free meals. 
  • A grand jury indicted former DeKalb County Commissioner Stan Watson with theft Tuesday after he receiving about $3,000 in advances for government trips that he never took. Watson, 63, faces a single count of theft by conversion in DeKalb Superior Court, according to DeKalb District Attorney Sherry Boston’s office. Watson withdrew advance checks in January 2016 for conferences in Chicago and Savannah, but then he resigned from office in March 2016 to run for DeKalb Tax Commissioner. “The state alleges the expense money was then converted to personal use and not repaid until approximately one year later, well after Watson’s resignation,” according to a press release from Boston’s office. “County policy requires any funds advanced for travel but not actually used for said travel be returned to the county immediately.” A warrant was issued for Watson’s arrest, and he’s expected to surrender to authorities, the release said. Watson didn’t immediately return a phone message seeking comment. Exclusive to subscribers: Read the full story on myAJC.com. MYAJC.COM: REAL JOURNALISM. REAL LOCAL IMPACT. The AJC's Mark Niesse keeps you updated on the latest happenings in DeKalb County government and politics. You'll find more on myAJC.com, including these stories: Accused politicians try to undermine ethics oversight in Georgia DeKalb Sheriff Mann could retain office even if found guilty DeKalb police, firefighter pay raise plan revealed Never miss a minute of what's happening in DeKalb politics. Subscribe to myAJC.com. In other DeKalb news:
  • A man convicted of robbing Waffle House restaurants in Cobb and Gwinnett counties will spend the rest of his life in prison. >> Read more trending news Cobb County Superior Court Judge C. LaTain Kell handed down the sentence Friday after a jury convicted Robbin Haynes, 23, of armed robbery, aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during commission of a felony for the 2014 crime. Haynes and another man, Otis Lee Barnes, used a gun and large, orange bolt cutters to rob restaurant workers off Highway 92 near Sandy Plains Road on March 13, 2014. They got away with $400. That restaurant wasn’t the only one they hit. Investigators say the pair robbed two other Waffle House restaurants the same way. >> Related: Waffle House co-founder dies a month after business partner In a release sent to WSB-TV, Assistant District Attorney Lauryn Perry, who prosecuted the case, said, “Mr. Haynes committed three armed robberies in about 24 hours. The first occurred in Gwinnett County, the second one in Cobb County and the last one in Gwinnett County. He showed a lack of compassion for his victims and a streak of violence that the state believes is reflected in his sentence.” Haynes was previously convicted in Gwinnett County for the two related armed robberies there and was sentenced to life in prison. In addition to the life in prison sentence, the Cobb County judge also added a mandatory five years to serve in prison on the firearms charge. Haynes’ sentence will run concurrently with the sentence imposed in Gwinnett. Barnes, 25, pleaded guilty to charges in both counties. He was sentenced in Cobb County to 20 years, with 10 years to be served in prison.
  • Residents at a DeKalb County apartment complex finally have temporary stairs to reach their second-story units. Channel 2 Action News first reported how firefighters had to rescue people stuck on the second floor of the Maple Walk Apartments in Decatur earlier this month. Channel 2's Sophia Choi learned residents were using ladders to reach their second-floor homes. Even though it was unsafe, residents said they had to get into their homes after waiting weeks. 'I got a ladder and came home. I had no choice. I didn't have the funds to stay out anymore,' resident Shawta Tiller said. As of Tuesday, they have temporary wooden steps to use. The DeKalb County fire marshal toured the construction site weeks after the complex removed their stairs. Residents said despite promises of payments for hotel rooms, they have received nothing. So after a week or so, they decided to use ladders to get in. TRENDING STORIES: Body found in locked Walmart bathroom that employees thought was out of order for days Woman could face jail time over garden Man who robbed 3 Waffle Houses in 24 hours sentenced to life in prison 'It was very dangerous, because trying to take groceries, just trying to get your things up it was just very scary and dangerous,' resident Tyler Reese said. The fire marshal said the county evacuated residents on three separate occasions for using those unsafe ladders. Channel 2 Action News was with the code enforcement officer who checked out a host of other problems at the complex, including mold and holes inside units, and major structural problems like a sagging balcony. 'It's not just the building with no stairs, most of the buildings around here look like this, with debris all over the hallway and the ceiling gone,' one resident said. The county said the owners of the complex were late in following their orders, and they will be cited for the delay. 'The building department is waiting for that structural analysis pending to be submitted by the ownership. That's where the permanent fixes will take place,' DeKalb fire marshal Joe Cox said. Choi contacted the apartment manager, who declined to comment.
  • Huge savings on this Coleman cooler! Keep your drinks and snacks cool in the summer heat with this Coleman 16-can cooler from Amazon. It’s on sale right now in red for only $9.17. That’s the best price we’ve ever seen on this cooler! This cooler comes with a removable hard plastic liner for packing flexibility. It also features an adjustable shoulder strap and extra zippered and mesh pockets for added storage. Note this deal is only available on the red cooler. Shipping is free for Prime members or on orders of $25 or more. Other stories you might like from ClarkDeals.com: Homepage Prime members: New sample boxes for $0 net Southwest Airlines fall fares starting at $42 one-way
  • A day after Republican leaders unexpectedly delayed action on a Senate health care bill, President Donald Trump pressed GOP Senators to get on board with the legislative effort, arguing that it’s time to on from the Obama health law. “Obamacare is dying, it’s essentially dead,” the President said in a photo op at the White House. “It’s been a headache for everybody, it’s been a nightmare for many,” the President added, as he made clear his desire for the GOP to reach an agreement that can get 50 votes in the Senate. Trump: It's 'very tough' to get the health care plan approved, but it would be 'far better than Obamacare' https://t.co/Q3WDqN4gCr — CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) June 28, 2017 In his remarks, Mr. Trump sounded optimistic notes about getting Republicans to back a health care bill, saying several times that he had a good meeting on Tuesday with GOP Senators. “We’re working very hard, we’ve given ourselves a little more time to make it perfect,” the President said. But in the halls of Congress, there was no sense that the GOP was on the verge of a health care breakthrough, as Republicans staked out different points of view on what should change. In a letter to the President, Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) set out four different changes to the legislation, again expressing his opposition to a new regime of tax credits that would be used to help people pay for health insurance. Paul also frowned on a late change in the bill, which would say that if you go more than nine weeks without health insurance, then insurance companies could force you to wait 6 months before letting you buy an insurance plan. Sen Rand Paul R-KY wants 'continuous coverage' plan out – says it's a 'Republican version of the individual mandate' pic.twitter.com/18eeSsqRvz — Jamie Dupree (@jamiedupree) June 28, 2017 Paul said that appears to be nothing more than a “Republican version of the individual mandate,” the Obama Administration plan that forced people to buy health insurance, under the threat of a tax penalty if they did not. Republicans are expected to go home tomorrow. Congress is not in session next week. Lawmakers would return to Washigton the week of July 10.