ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
76°
Scattered Clouds
H 82° L 60°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    76°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H NaN° L 59°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    NaN°
    Today
    Partly Cloudy. H NaN° L 59°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day Created with Sketch.
    82°
    Tomorrow
    Chance of T-storms. H 82° L 60°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National
Burglar hits fire station while crews battled wildfire
Close

Burglar hits fire station while crews battled wildfire

Burglar hits fire station while crews battled wildfire

Burglar hits fire station while crews battled wildfire

A California fire station was burglarized while firefighters were battling a raging wildfire on Sunday, a fire district spokesman said.

The Morgan Fire broke out amongst acres of dry brush and near triple-digit temperatures Sunday afternoon near Mount Diablo State Park. Within hours, it would grow to spread across 800 acres of rugged terrain and force evacuations for the residents of 75 houses nearby that it threatened to destroy.

Firefighters returned to Fire Station No. 7 in Walnut Creek that evening after battling the wildfire and noticed that some items had been moved around, Contra Costa County Fire Protection District spokesman Steve Aubert said.

“Once you go out there and you protect other people's property and come back and find your own was broken into, it's kind of hard to take," said firefighter JuDon Cherry.

A sweep of the station revealed that someone had taken two firefighters' weddings rings and money, as well as a captain's iPad, he said.

“Once I got looked around, something didn't look right, and I looked for my iPad it was missing, my bag had been rummaged through, they took my watch and my ring,” said Cherry. “My wedding ring was taken, and so was another firefighter’s, his wedding ring was taken too.”

Aubert said there was also a burglary attempt at Fire Station No. 3 in Walnut Creek at about 2:30 a.m. Monday while firefighters were asleep.

The perpetrator tried to break in through a back window screen at the station but firefighters woke up, prompting the would-be burglar to flee, he said.

“Actually the crew was at the station in bed, the captain was actually asleep in bed when he heard someone actually trying to pull off the screen, just 2 feet away from him,” said Aubert.

Aubert said he did not know if the two incidents are related.

“We're going to be evaluating the security at each of the stations to provide a better level of security for the department's resources and personnel,” Aubert said.

Fire department officials said its newer stations already have security measures in place to discourage thieves and they're looking at plans to retrofit older stations, which are vulnerable.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

News

  • Pickens County deputies are searching for an armed fugitive.  Authorities are looking for Nicholas Bishop in the area of Priest Circle in Talking Rock.  Bishop is believed to be armed with a handgun and on foot after he abandoned a stolen vehicle around 2 p.m.  If you see him, call 911 immediately. Officials say do not attempt to approach him. - Please return for updates.
  • One more time, Doris Payne, the 86-year-old infamous international jewel thief, has pleaded guilty to the usual crime. She admitted Wednesday to stealing a necklace from Von Maur at Perimeter Mall last year, the DeKalb County District Attorney’s Office said. Payne, who recently said she’s been dealing with a possibly cancerous tumor, was sentenced to 120 days of house arrest and three years of probation.  She was also banned from all Von Maur locations and every mall in DeKalb County. Payne, who’d been free on bond, was arrested last month for missing a court date. Shortly after the would-be appearance, she told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution she wasn’t medically able to attend. “I ain’t runnin’,” she said in a phone interview. “I’ve never in my life been late for court. Last month, Payne was deemed too ill to stand trial by the judge presiding over a Fulton County case stemming from a missing set of earrings at Phipps Plaza. Payne has been open about her habits of theft, which she detailed in a documentary called, “The Life and Crimes of Doris Payne.” RELATED: Huge DeKalb center with (at least) 8 popular chains is opening soon RELATED: Cop helps elderly woman who got kicked out of dentist office in DeKalb RELATED: A DeKalb family’s tale of two dead bodies and a crying baby girl Like DeKalb County News Now on Facebook | Follow on Twitter and Instagram
  • A drunken driver destroyed a row of headstones at a historic Carrollton cemetery, causing tens of thousands of dollars' worth of damage, police said. According to police, the driver was coming down Martin Luther King Street on March 19, ran a stop sign, jumped a curb and crashed into the city-owned cemetery. The broken headstones range in date from the late 1800s to 1950. 'And what we discussed is, if one is damaged beyond repair, we'll put something back that's respectful. It's hard to replace it with the exact same item. The families aren't around anymore, so the city will take on the responsibility,' city manager Tim Grizzard said. TRENDING STORIES: Thousands of Georgians could lose food stamps next week 16-year-old in custody after hoax call about school gunman Food prices at SunTrust Park vs. Mercedes-Benz Stadium: What's the difference? The 35-year-old driver, Ray Antonio Baker, was arrested and charged with DUI. City officials said they will ask his insurance carrier to pay for the damage. 'Our plan is to go after the individual's insurance to pay for repairs. If that doesn't pay for everything, the city will certainly pick up the tab,' Grizzard said. Officials said this isn't the first time a driver has damaged headstones, but it's not a big enough problem to put up a wall. 'It's not something that has happened often enough that we need to put up a barrier. If it was a recurrent spot, we would do something,' Grizzard said. City officials said it could take weeks to repair the damage.
  • A Coca-Cola factory in Northern Ireland halted production last week after human waste was discovered in its soda cans, The Guardian reported.  >> Florida man walking on beach finds bale of marijuana Now police are investigating how this could have happened at the Hellenic Bottling Company.  >> Read more trending news The company said none of the contaminated products made it onto store shelves and they impounded the contaminated cans, according to The Guardian. They noticed the problem when machines at the plant became clogged. “The problem was identified immediately through our robust quality procedures,” Coca-Cola said in a statement.  >> Study: 10,000 steps might not be enough for healthy life“This is an isolated incident and does not affect any products currently on sale.” Read more at The Guardian.