ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
56°
Mostly Cloudy
H 61° L 45°
  • cloudy-day
    56°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Cloudy. H 61° L 45°
  • cloudy-day
    61°
    Today
    Mostly Cloudy. H 61° L 45°
  • cloudy-day
    61°
    Tomorrow
    Partly Cloudy. H 61° L 41°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Local
Suspect in Villa Rica killing was arrested, released before murder
Close

Suspect in Villa Rica killing was arrested, released before murder

Suspect in Villa Rica killing was arrested, released before murder
Photo Credit: Special
Raphael Rucker was arrested Thursday for his alleged connection to the murder of Mitch Mobley during a jewelry store robbery.

Suspect in Villa Rica killing was arrested, released before murder

The Fulton County Police Department had their hands on one of the men accused of murdering a Villa Rica jewelry store owner weeks before the killing.

And they let him go.

Raphael Rucker is one of the four men accused of killing Mitch Mobley during a robbery at his store last week. But three weeks before that, Rucker was sitting in the Fulton County jail facing drug charges.

Rucker and several others were arrested during a drug investigation by Atlanta police at a home on Drummond Street.

Now the Fulton County District Attorney’s office is trying to figure out why the charges were dropped. 

The police report says that on June 5th, several people inside the home tried to prevent Atlanta narcotics officer from entering. Officer took more than 70 swings with an entry ram to get through the door. 

When the cops got inside they found Rucker and seven other men, plus hundreds in cash, three guns and pound of marijuana. 

One of Rucker’s friends told Channel 2 Action News that the Fulton DA dropped the charges because they didn’t have enough evidence to prosecute. 

A spokesperson for the DA’s office says in an email “we are still in the process of researching the status of this case. We will follow up with additional information as it becomes available.”

Now Rucker’s friend wishes those drug charges would have stuck, because he’s in bigger trouble now.

“I think if they prosecuted them in the first place, maybe this wouldn’t have happened,” the friend said.

Rucker, Gregory Clifton and a 16-year-old are now facing murder and robber charges in Carroll County. Police are still searching for a fourth suspect.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

News

  • Investigators have released photos and surveillance video in hopes of identifying the gunmen who killed a restaurant manager during a robbery this weekend. According to police, three men entered Barcelona Wine Bar on Howell Mill Road in the West Midtown neighborhood as it was closing around 1:45 a.m. Sunday, and tied up the employees with electrical tape.  The men then forced the manager, 29-year-old Chelsea Beller , upstairs to open up the safe. That’s when they shot her. Beller later died at Grady Memorial Hospital.  'I think it's important for us all to acknowledge that this isn't Atlanta. This isn't the Wild Wild West,' Beller's friend Tyler Walters said.  @Atlanta_Police just released this dramatic surveillance from inside Barcelona wine bar of Sunday’s deadly robbery. https://t.co/YHueSecqL7 Police need your help. $7k reward for info. @wsbtv pic.twitter.com/QJG5xHIZMv — Aaron Diamant (@AaronDiamantWSB) November 20, 2017 As Channel 2’s Carl Willis went through the new video, he saw Atlanta police back at the scene looking for evidence in the shooting. Beller's friends say the 29-year-old considered co-workers and restaurant regulars her family. TRENDING STORIES: Police release dramatic video, photos of gunmen who killed restaurant manager Out with a bang: Georgia Dome comes down in Atlanta Grandmother says Facebook Live saved her life: 'I could have died' 'She was the salt of the earth. She was the type of person that had a genuine sense of caring,' Walters said. “She loved coming to work. She loved what she did. It was just a place that she felt happy and she enjoyed what she did.' Investigators are hoping that even though the suspects' faces are masked, that someone might have an idea who they are, and bring a little peace to those grieving over Beller’s loss.  “Money is money, but killing young ladies who are in the prime of their lives, that's not who Atlanta is,' Walter told Willis.  A reward of up to $7,000 is being offered for information leading to an arrest and indictment. The Atlanta Police Department released a statement about the incident, saying:  “No crime against our citizens, anywhere in the city, is acceptable. But the robbery and murder of an innocent restaurant manager doing her job is a terrible crime that has shocked even the most jaded among us here at APD,' the department said in a statement Monday. 'We have made fighting violent crime our priority, and this incident underscores that our work is never done. Our investigators are working diligently to find those responsible for this crime. We will continue to focus our efforts on identifying and apprehending violent repeat offenders who prey on innocent people. These crimes are unacceptable, and we will not rest in our pursuit of shutting down these violent criminals.” Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to contact police through Crime Stoppers Atlanta . Their phone number is 404-577-8477 and you can remain anonymous.
  • Channel 2 Action News has learned that an armed man who authorities said escaped an Alabama jail may now be in metro Atlanta. Shane Anthony Vernon escaped the Coosa County Jail Sunday, local authorities said.   On Tuesday, U.S. Marshals told Channel 2 Investigative Reporter Nicole Carr that Vernon kidnapped a man from Alabama and dropped him and the car off in Douglasville. Vernon was nowhere to be found. TRENDING STORIES: Ex-Braves GM banned for life by MLB; Atlanta loses prospects 60+ people fall ill after company Thanksgiving party Jailhouse phone calls reveal aftermath of deadly heroin-fueled crash Vernon is considered armed and dangerous. Coosa County Sheriff Terry Wilson explained the timeline to Carr Tuesday afternoon. He told Carr on Oct. 30, Vernon got out of handcuffs during booking for another home invasion. 'He pulled out his restraints and ran out the jail,' Wilson told Carr by phone. Out of the jail and into the woods we're told he went. He was captured almost immediately. But on Sunday, things changed. 'He was allowed to use one of the inmate telephones in the jail. And a corrections officer did not properly secure the door,' Wilson explained. It was an officer's actions that led to a second escape and now an internal investigation. 'He was able to climb through the ceiling and go over four other secured doors to get to the other side and went out the door again.' A map takes on Vernon's crime spree after his jail ceiling escape. There were residents tied up and robbed on Sunday. On Monday, a family including a 2-year-old child, were tied up as Vernon continued to steal cars, guns and a bike. Finally on Monday night, as he tried to hide a stolen van, he forced an Elmore County man into a car and drove him to metro Atlanta. That's where the man somehow escaped Vernon Tuesday morning and made it to the Douglasville Police Department while Vernon took off to parts unknown. 'It's a tragedy all the way around. I just hope that we can get him picked up before he hurts somebody,' Wilson said. The sheriff said they'll be processing the stolen car and have a better idea of how this happened by tomorrow morning.   CONFIRMED w/Alabama Sheriff: This is the second time in three weeks that Shane Vernon has escaped the Coosa Co. jail. Sunday’s escape was through ceiling tile exit. Now may be in Metro ATL armed, dangerous, authorities say @wsbtv pic.twitter.com/H3VJbpY74B — Nicole Carr (@NicoleCarrWSB) November 21, 2017
  • A sports doctor accused of molesting several girls while working for USA Gymnastics and Michigan State University will plead guilty to multiple charges of sexual assault and face at least 25 years in prison, a person with knowledge of the agreement said.The person was not authorized to publicly discuss the agreement ahead of a Wednesday court hearing for Dr. Larry Nassar in Michigan's Ingham County and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.Nassar, 54, is charged with molesting seven girls, all but one of whom were gymnasts, mostly under the guise of treatment at his Lansing-area home and a campus clinic. He's facing similar charges in a neighboring county and lawsuits filed by more than 125 women and girls.Olympic gymnasts Aly Raisman, McKayla Maroney and Gabby Douglas are among the women who have publicly said they were among Nassar's victims.The plea deal in Ingham County calls for a minimum prison sentence of 25 years, but a judge could set the minimum sentence as high as 40 years. In Michigan, inmates are eligible for parole after serving a minimum sentence.The girls have testified that Nassar molested them with his hands, sometimes when a parent was present in the room, while they sought help for gymnastics injuries.'He convinced these girls that this was some type of legitimate treatment,' Assistant Attorney General Angela Poviliatis told a judge last summer. 'Why would they question him? Why would they question this gymnastics god?'Separately, Nassar is charged with similar crimes in Eaton County, the location of an elite gymnastics club. He also is awaiting sentencing in federal court on child pornography charges.
  • A condemned killer whose poor veins led Ohio to halt his execution has appealed a judge's decision upholding the state's lethal injection system.Death row inmate Alva Campbell argues that Ohio's process raises an unconstitutional risk of serious harm because the first of three drugs may not render inmates completely unconscious.Lawyers for Campbell and fellow death row inmate Raymond Tibbetts announced the appeal to the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Tuesday.Federal Judge Michael Merz rejected the inmates' arguments earlier this month.Ohio prisons director Gary Mohr stopped Campbell's execution Nov. 15 after executioners said they couldn't find usable veins.Campbell has a new execution date in June 2019.Tibbetts is scheduled to die Feb. 13 for fatally stabbing a Cincinnati man in 1997.
  • A year of events marking the 100th anniversary of President John F. Kennedy's birth is drawing to a close exactly 54 years after his assassination.National park rangers will lay a wreath outside Kennedy's childhood home in Brookline, Massachusetts, and a 21-gun salute by an honor guard will follow.Wednesday's solemn commemorations fall on the anniversary of Kennedy's assassination in Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963.The observances are being held at what is now known as the John Fitzgerald Kennedy National Historic Site administered by the National Park Service.The nation's 35th president was born in the leafy Boston suburb on May 29, 1917. Over the past year, numerous conferences and other events have been held worldwide to examine JFK's legacy and imagine his impact had he survived.
  • Police are searching for at least two people they say are robbing delivery trucks and getting away with packages in Atlanta. >> Read more trending news Police said the thieves watch for UPS trucks to leave distribution centers, then carjack them and steal the packages. “It’s like they took the script right off of a movie and that’s why it’s important that we get these guys off the street,” Atlanta police Detective Benjamin King said. A surveillance photo shows a possible suspect who police say may have been part of a carjacking and armed robbery of a UPS driver earlier this month. The driver had just pulled off from a distribution center on Fulton Industrial Boulevard on Oct. 30 around 10 a.m. As the UPS driver pulled up to the intersection of Fulton Industrial and Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway, someone opened his passenger door. “He said he saw his passenger door slide open and he saw a black male brandish a weapon, then jump inside of his UPS vehicle,” King said. Police said the robber forced the driver to take him to an abandoned apartment complex near Hyacinth Avenue. Investigators said there was an empty U-Haul truck there waiting. “At that point in time they had the UPS driver lay to the ground where they pointed a weapon to the back of his head, then they started to unload the stuff from the UPS truck to the U-Haul truck,” King said. As police were investigating that case, a group of people did the same thing in the same area to a different UPS driver Tuesday morning. “It’s very similar and we are actually looking into it right now,” King said. No drivers were injured in the robberies.  If you recognize the man in the photo, call Crime Stoppers at 404-577-8477.