ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
80°
Scattered Clouds
H 82° L 60°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    80°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H NaN° L 59°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    NaN°
    Today
    Partly Cloudy. H NaN° L 59°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day Created with Sketch.
    82°
    Tomorrow
    Chance of T-storms. H 82° L 60°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Local
Resort: Gun rights group can’t bring guns to annual convention
Close

Resort: Gun rights group can’t bring guns to annual convention

Resort: Gun rights group can’t bring guns to annual convention
A Georgia gun rights group said it is looking for a new place to hold its annual convention after a popular Georgia resort changed its deal.

Resort: Gun rights group can’t bring guns to annual convention

A Georgia gun rights group said it is looking for a new place to hold its annual convention after a popular Georgia resort changed its deal.

Georgiacarry.org said just before it finalized the deal to hold its annual convention at Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain, Ga., the resort called and said members of the gun rights organization couldn't bring their guns.

"We don't go around raising trouble, we just go around having fun," said Jerry Henry, executive director of GeorgiaCarry.org. "We tell you up front where we are and what we're going to do."

Henry said he was openly carrying a gun when he went down to book the convention back in February and told the sales team his 400 members would be doing the same for their August event.

Henry said he was told there would be no problem.

But a problem arose this week when Callaway Gardens told him though his members are welcome, their weapons are not.

"If they would have told us when we walked in the doors guns weren't allowed, we would have said fine, turned around, drove back, and we'd look somewhere else. We wouldn't have wasted the last three or four months," Henry told Channel 2's Lori Geary.

When Geary reached out to Callaway Gardens, a spokesperson offered an apology, saying, "We truly appreciate Georgiacarry.org's desire to host their annual convention at the family-friendly Callaway Gardens resort, a privately-owned organization. Unfortunately, two team members did not properly convey our weapons policy, which, like many other family friendly destinations, does not permit weapons on the premises."

Still, Henry said Callaway Gardens reneged on the deal, and that's not sitting well with some of his more than 8,000 members.

Geary found some already expressing their thoughts on the resort's Facebook page.

"There are not a lot of happy campers with them in our organization right now, that I know of," Henry said.

Henry said he still plans to hold the convention in August. They're currently working on negotiating with other venues.

Read More

News

  • Pickens County deputies are searching for an armed fugitive.  Authorities are looking for Nicholas Bishop in the area of Priest Circle in Talking Rock.  Bishop is believed to be armed with a handgun and on foot after he abandoned a stolen vehicle around 2 p.m.  If you see him, call 911 immediately. Officials say do not attempt to approach him. - Please return for updates.
  • One more time, Doris Payne, the 86-year-old infamous international jewel thief, has pleaded guilty to the usual crime. She admitted Wednesday to stealing a necklace from Von Maur at Perimeter Mall last year, the DeKalb County District Attorney’s Office said. Payne, who recently said she’s been dealing with a possibly cancerous tumor, was sentenced to 120 days of house arrest and three years of probation.  She was also banned from all Von Maur locations and every mall in DeKalb County. Payne, who’d been free on bond, was arrested last month for missing a court date. Shortly after the would-be appearance, she told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution she wasn’t medically able to attend. “I ain’t runnin’,” she said in a phone interview. “I’ve never in my life been late for court. Last month, Payne was deemed too ill to stand trial by the judge presiding over a Fulton County case stemming from a missing set of earrings at Phipps Plaza. Payne has been open about her habits of theft, which she detailed in a documentary called, “The Life and Crimes of Doris Payne.” RELATED: Huge DeKalb center with (at least) 8 popular chains is opening soon RELATED: Cop helps elderly woman who got kicked out of dentist office in DeKalb RELATED: A DeKalb family’s tale of two dead bodies and a crying baby girl Like DeKalb County News Now on Facebook | Follow on Twitter and Instagram
  • A drunken driver destroyed a row of headstones at a historic Carrollton cemetery, causing tens of thousands of dollars' worth of damage, police said. According to police, the driver was coming down Martin Luther King Street on March 19, ran a stop sign, jumped a curb and crashed into the city-owned cemetery. The broken headstones range in date from the late 1800s to 1950. 'And what we discussed is, if one is damaged beyond repair, we'll put something back that's respectful. It's hard to replace it with the exact same item. The families aren't around anymore, so the city will take on the responsibility,' city manager Tim Grizzard said. TRENDING STORIES: Thousands of Georgians could lose food stamps next week 16-year-old in custody after hoax call about school gunman Food prices at SunTrust Park vs. Mercedes-Benz Stadium: What's the difference? The 35-year-old driver, Ray Antonio Baker, was arrested and charged with DUI. City officials said they will ask his insurance carrier to pay for the damage. 'Our plan is to go after the individual's insurance to pay for repairs. If that doesn't pay for everything, the city will certainly pick up the tab,' Grizzard said. Officials said this isn't the first time a driver has damaged headstones, but it's not a big enough problem to put up a wall. 'It's not something that has happened often enough that we need to put up a barrier. If it was a recurrent spot, we would do something,' Grizzard said. City officials said it could take weeks to repair the damage.
  • Seattle filed a lawsuit Wednesday over President Donald Trump's executive order that threatens to withhold federal funds from communities that refuse to cooperate with efforts to find and deport immigrants in the country illegally. Mayor Ed Murray said the order issued in January punishing 'sanctuary cities' is unconstitutional and creates uncertainty around the city's budget. Other governments have sued Trump over the sanctuary issue. San Francisco filed a lawsuit earlier this year, also saying the order was unconstitutional. California's Santa Clara County and two Massachusetts cities with large Latino populations - Chelsea and Lawrence - have also taken legal action. The Justice Department said in a statement that 'the American people want and deserve a lawful immigration system that keeps us safe and serves our national interest' and that the federal government will enforce relevant laws. Attorney General Jeff Sessions reiterated this week that the Justice Department would deny grant money to cities that violate a federal law dealing with information-sharing among local police and federal authorities. Sessions said the cities are making their communities unsafe. Murray challenged that claim. 'Apparently the Trump administration, their war on facts has now become a war on cities,' Murray said during a news conference. 'Let me be clear about the facts. We are not breaking any laws and we are prioritizing safety.' Under the order, Seattle could face at least $10.5 million in cuts to public safety programs, he said. Trump's order violates the constitution by trying to make local law enforcement enforce federal immigration law, Murray said. The order also makes communities less safe by forcing people underground, said City Attorney Pete Holmes. When people are marginalized and made to fear police, they are less likely to come forward as witnesses to crime, Murray said. The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court asks a judge to declare that Seattle is in compliance with the law and that the executive order is unconstitutional under the 10th Amendment and the Spending Clause of the U.S. Constitution. 'This administration has created an atmosphere of anxiety in cities across America and has created chaos in our politics,' Murray said. 'It is time for cities to stand up and ask the courts to put an end to the anxiety in our communities and the chaos in our system.' __ Associated Press writer Sadie Gurman contributed from Washington __ Follow Martha Bellisle at https://twitter.com/marthabellisle