heavy-rain-night Created with Sketch.
H 77° L 60°
  • heavy-rain-night Created with Sketch.
    Current Conditions
    Few Showers. H 77° L 60°
  • rain-day Created with Sketch.
    Few Showers. H 77° L 60°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    Partly Cloudy. H 77° L 60°

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

One dead, one wounded in stabbings at southwest Atlanta senior high rise

One dead, one wounded in stabbings at southwest Atlanta senior high rise

Senior care resident accused of stabbing fellow residents

One dead, one wounded in stabbings at southwest Atlanta senior high rise

Mary Oliver was just hours away from celebrating her 76th birthday.

Emmanuel Surry Jr. was just going back to his apartment where he cared for his 105-year-old uncle.

That was before police say Geary Otis stabbed the two septuagenarians multiple times in an Atlanta senior residential tower where all three live, killing Oliver and wounding Surry.

Shortly before 11 p.m. Monday, police said Otis went after Surry, 71, who escaped after a struggle with multiple stab wounds.

Then Otis turned his sights on Oliver’s apartment and “kicked my mother’s door in,” Oliver’s daughter, Ellen Hall Varner said, citing police reports.

Police found her dead in her bed with a deep gash to the back of her head, a cut under her left eye and several stab wounds to the chest.

Surry remains in stable condition at Grady Memorial Hospital, and Otis, whom police said suffered non-life-threatening injuries, was treated at the hospital and transferred late Tuesday to the Fulton County Jail.

Otis was covered in blood and carrying two large kitchen knives when he was located, police said.

Atlanta police Capt. Tim Peek said officers “were able to apprehend the suspect near the scene and were able to recover two knives that did have blood on them.”

Otis, who police said is in his mid-60s, was charged with murder and aggravated assault. He waived his first court appearance at the jail late Wednesday morning, and will face a judge for a preliminary hearing on July 10, jail spokeswoman Tracy Flanagan said.

Officials for Baptist Towers, the senior residence on Myrtle Drive in southwest Atlanta, said Oliver and Otis “had a relationship,” the extent of which was unknown.

Surry’s sister, Sandra Surry, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution her brother said he only knew his alleged assailant’s face from seeing him around the facility.

She said the two encountered one another Monday evening on the elevator, but no words were exchanged.

“When he got ready to get off the elevator, the man attacked him,” she said, recounting what her told her from his hospital bed. “He said he kicked him in his privates… that’s how he got away.”

Emmanuel Surry stays with his uncle Charles Surry and is a caretaker for the centenarian and the man’s younger, 95-year-old brother, she said.

“Uncle Charlie said he left the door open for Junior to come back last night, but he never did,” Sandra Surry said. “That man could’ve gone back in there and hurt my uncle.”

Varner said, citing police reports, that Otis, who lives on the fifth floor, left Surry on the seventh floor, then “went home, took a shower, changed clothes and stuff.

“Immediately when you come in the door, her kitchen is to the right,” Varner said, describing her mother’s apartment, and again referred to police reports. “He got one of her butcher knives out of there and went in and started stabbing her. She was in bed.”

“We’re unclear on the actual motive,” Peek said. “We don’t know why the person chose to do whatever he did.”

Peek said the facility’s on-site security guard was apparently making rounds outside the tower when the stabbings occurred.

Built in the early 1970s, Baptist Towers has about 300 units in the 11-story building. A newer three-story building — it opened in November — stands next door with 100 units.

While there were some residents who expressed fear for their safety, few saw it as an indication that the gated community, with its coded entry and 24-hour security staff, is a dangerous place.

“I don’t feel any less safe,” resident Cleve Kates said. “It could happen anywhere.”

Elizabeth Gresham, though shocked by the incident, said it didn’t shatter the impression of safety and security about Baptist Towers that prompted her to move there earlier this month.

“This wasn’t random,” she said. “I would still move here after this.”

Emmanuel Surry’s sister doesn’t think this incident creates an ongoing problem.

“All of us can move into a place thinking it’s safe,” Sandra Surry said. “It’s the mind-set of the person living next to you. That could happen on Bankhead or in Buckhead.”

The complex has been operated by National Church Residences since 2007 and is described on the organization’s website as “an independent senior living community.”

The facility leases one-bedroom and studio apartments to residents age 55 and above, with rent ranging from $501 to $1,078 a month, according to the website.

National Church Residences spokeswoman Karen Twinem said the company requires a background check of all potential residents, including a check of criminal records and whether a person is registered as a sex offender.

Of the Upper Arlington, Ohio-company’s 330 properties across the country, Twinem said there have been only two other killings in 52 years.

Otis will be moved to the Fulton County Jail when he is released from the hospital. The investigation is ongoing.

Read More


  • The British man who killed four people during a London rampage had made three trips to Saudi Arabia: He taught English there twice on a work visa and returned on a visa usually granted to those going on a religious pilgrimage. More details about attacker Khalid Masood's travels, confirmed by the Saudi Arabian embassy in Britain, emerged Saturday amid a massive British police effort to discover how a homegrown ex-con with a violent streak became radicalized and why he launched a deadly attack Wednesday on Westminster Bridge. The embassy said he taught English in Saudi Arabia from November 2005 to November 2006 and again from April 2008 to April 2009, with legitimate work visas both times. He then returned to Saudi Arabia for six days in March 2015 on a trip booked through an approved travel agent and made on an 'Umra' visa, usually granted to those on a religious pilgrimage to the country's Islamic holy sites. The embassy said Saudi security services didn't track Masood and he didn't have a criminal record there. Before taking the name Masood, he was called Adrian Elms. He was known for having a violent temper in England and had been convicted at least twice for violent crimes. Masood drove his rented SUV across London's crowded Westminster Bridge on Wednesday, striking pedestrians. Then he jumped out and stabbed to death police officer Keith Palmer, who was guarding Parliament, before being shot dead by police. In all, he killed four people and left more than two dozen hospitalized, including some with catastrophic injuries. The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the attack, calling him a 'solider' who responded to its demands that followers attack countries in the coalition fighting IS in Syria and Iraq. British officials said security at Parliament will be reviewed after new footage emerged that showed the large gates to the complex were left open after Masood rushed onto the grounds. There are concerns that accomplices could have followed him in and killed even more people. The footage from that day shows pedestrians walking by the open gates and even a courier entering Parliament grounds. Former Metropolitan Police commissioner Ian Blair told the BBC that changes to the 'outer soft ring' of Parliament's security plan are likely in the aftermath of Masood's attack. The new footage follows earlier video that showed slight delays and confusion during the evacuation of Prime Minister Theresa May from Parliament as the attack unfolded. Masood, who at 52 is considerably older than most extremists who carry out bloodshed in the West, had an arrest record in Britain dating to 1983. In 2000, he slashed a man across the face in a pub parking lot in a racially charged argument after drinking, according to a newspaper account. Masood's last conviction, in 2003, also involved a knife attack. One victim, Danny Smith, told The Sun newspaper that Masood had stabbed him in the face with a kitchen knife after an argument just three days after they met. Hundreds of British police have been working to determine his motives and are scouring Masood's communications systems, including his possible use of the encrypted WhatsApp device, to help determine if he had any accomplices. Still, police have released many of those they took in for questioning in the case. One 58-year-old man remains in custody for questioning after being arrested Thursday in the central English city of Birmingham, where Masood was living. Authorities haven't charged or identified him. A 32-year-old woman arrested in Manchester has been released on bail and faces further inquiries. Police said Saturday that a 27-year-old man arrested Thursday in Birmingham has been released. Eight others arrested in connection with the investigation had been set free earlier, including a 39-year-old woman who had initially been freed on bail but now faces no further police action, police said Saturday. Details about how Masood became radicalized aren't clear, although he may have become exposed to radical views while an inmate in Britain or while working in conservative Saudi Arabia. It's also not clear when he took the name Masood, suggesting a conversion to Islam.
  • RADFORD, N.C. (AP) - A North Carolina sheriff says a newborn and the baby's 2-year-old sister have been found stabbed to death.Hoke County Sheriff Hubert Peterkin tells WRAL (http://bit.ly/2n1S80h) the bodies of 4-day-old Genesis Freeman and 2-year-old Serenity Freeman were found Saturday in the woods near an intersection close to the city of Raeford.Before they were found, their 30-year-old father Tillman Freeman was arrested and charged with two counts of child abuse and child endangerment. Authorities said the father refused to cooperate with the investigation into the children's whereabouts. TRENDING STORIES: Plane crashes near Cobb County home; 1 killed Company will pay you $10K a month to travel, stay in luxury homes Home Depot accused of unsafe practices; Criminal investigation launched They have not said who they think killed the children, who were reported missing following a domestic dispute. Freeman's wife was in a local hospital when the children disappeared.Details about the domestic dispute were not immediately released. It's not clear whether Freeman has an attorney.
  • Tens of thousands protested Saturday under sunny skies in London against plans for Britain to withdraw from the European Union. The Unite for Europe march, which saw many people carrying bright blue EU flags, came just days before Britain is expected to begin its formal separation from the other 27 nations in the EU. The crowds observed a minute of silence at Parliament Square as a tribute to the four victims killed and dozens wounded in an attack Wednesday on Parliament. Many bowed their heads as Big Ben chimed and placed flowers at Parliament's gate to honor the victims. Police did not provide a crowd estimate. Organizers said more than 25,000 people were present. There was also a smaller anti-Brexit protest march in Edinburgh, Scotland. Organizers considered delaying the long-planned march because of the attack — in part to avoid putting extra strain on British police — but decided to go ahead. Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron told the crowd that 'democracy continues' despite the assault. 'We stand in defiance of that attack,' he said. Prime Minister Theresa May plans to trigger Article 50 of the EU treaty on Wednesday, setting the Brexit process in motion. Negotiations are expected to take at least two years. Britain voted in a June 23 referendum to leave the EU.
  • At least one person was killed and multiple people were hurt early Sunday when gunshots rang out at Cameo Night Club in Cincinnati, Ohio. >> Read more trending news >> Click here or scroll down for the latest