Gov. Nathan Deal is concerned over the tragic events that lead to a toddler being gravely injured in Habersham County last week.
“I think it’s one of those things that requires a thorough investigation,” he says.
Speaking to reporters, Deal says he’s offered state resources to District Attorney Brian Rickman as he investigates the botched drug raid that left 19-month-old “Bou Bou” Phonesavanh fighting for his life.
The child, along with his family, were staying with relatives at the home in Cornelia. All were asleep when police used a “no-knock” warrant to search for a drug suspect and threw a flash grenade which exploded in the baby’s play pen Wednesday morning.
Police were conducting the raid based on information from an undercover agent who bought drugs at the home the night before.
“Anytime you do have bad facts like this one, it does give you cause for concern,” says Deal.
But the governor says he’s not yet ready to call for restrictions on “no-knock” warrants until the investigation is completed.
A similar call was made by state lawmakers after the 2006 death of Kathryn Johnston after the 92-year-old woman was shot to death for pulling a gun on officers conducting such a raid on her Neal Street home.