Fayette County, GA - A mother and her 4-year-old daughter, who were trapped inside their Fayette County apartment Thursday afternoon, are forced to jump out a window to save their lives.
Kathleen Rojas tells Channel 2 Action News her apartment quickly filled with smoke and she realized there was no way out so they both went out the window.
"I couldn't open the door because there was too much smoke. So, I ran to the kids’ bedroom, to the far room. And, then I saw Amanda and them coming,” she said.
The property manager and a maintenance man came to Rojas' and her daughter's rescue.
"They told me just drop the baby. And, they turned off the gas and they said just drop the baby and I dropped her. And, then they said okay come on. And then they caught me," says Rojas.
Both mother and child are fine. But, at least 10 families at the Weatherly Walk Apartments, located on Knight and Weatherly Way are without a place to live tonight after fire swept thru the apartment complex.
It took Fayette County Fire officials a couple of hours to put out the blaze which sparked around 2 p.m.
Fortunately, no one was injured and fire officials have not yet determined the cause of the fire.