ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
61°
Clear
H 65° L 46°
  • cloudy-day
    61°
    Current Conditions
    Clear. H 65° L 46°
  • clear-day
    65°
    Today
    Clear. H 65° L 46°
  • cloudy-day
    69°
    Tomorrow
    Partly Cloudy. H 69° L 42°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Local reaction to Boy Scouts lifting ban on gays

The Boy Scouts of America votes to drop a long-standing ban and allow openly gay boys to become members.

But it could be very costly.

CNN reports the decision could cost the Boy Scouts $18 million in funding from organizations in the South alone.

Some conservative churches that sponsor Scout units wanted to continue excluding gay youths. They are threatening to defect now that the ban has been lifted.

The decision will cost the Scouts at least one member from metro Atlanta.

“I certainly won’t continue in my role,” says Kipper Tabb.  He is with Troop 317 out of Johns Creek and is an associate pastor at Perimeter Church.

“I’m disappointed,” Tabb told WSB. “I had thought that the folks that had been trying to help the delegates make an informed decision, the result would have been different.”

Tabb’s church is also debating if it will continue to sponsor the Scouts.

However, not all religious leaders are jumping ship.

“Certainly when we are in the spirit of inclusion and welcoming everyone equally,” says Rev. Paul Graetz with the First Metropolitan Community Church in northeast Atlanta, “we are doing the same thing. We are welcome the spirit of Christ.”

 Graetz is gay and was also in the boy scouts.

“I was in scouts, I absolutely loved it,” he says.

The vote does not lift the ban against gay adults serving in scouts, but Tabb expects that to change eventually.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

News

  • Two children were killed in an accident involving a police SUV in Los Angeles on Thursday night. The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department vehicle was rushing to the scene of a gunshot victim at 7:25 p.m. PT when it struck five pedestrians in the Boyle Heights section of the city, according to police. In addition to the two killed, three other pedestrians were injured, and two sheriff's deputies in the vehicle were taken to the hospital, according to authorities. The deputies were treated and released Thursday night. The extent of the injuries to the other three pedestrians was unknown.  TRENDING STORIES: Judge grabs flagpole to defend himself as suspect tries to escape courtroom Lawsuit: Sun Dial restaurant ‘had no protections’ to stop 5-year-old’s death $500K worth of items stolen from jewelers' car after convention  Police did not provide the ages of those killed, but said both were minors. 'I was inside in my home and I heard the crash. Within seconds, I was outside and just a few feet from the incident,' eyewitness Paulette de la Cruz told Los Angeles ABC station KABC. 'When I got there I saw a little boy with a white blanket over him. Another one across, I'm not sure if he was conscious or not, but it didn't look like he was.' There were two other vehicles involved in the accident, but no one in the cars were injured. Police said an investigation into the accident was ongoing.  
  • A Georgia seventh-grader had quite the statement planned for his field trip to CNN, but his school ruined it all. >> Read more trending news Jaxon Jester, son of elected local officials Nancy and Stan Jester, donned a shirt that mocked CNN’s logo as “FNN,” standing for “Fake News Network,” on the morning of his school’s trip to visit the network’s Atlanta headquarters. However, a teacher at his school asked him to remove the shirt before the trip even began and now his parents are livid, saying the school violated his First Amendment right to free speech. “This year when the CNN tour was announced, my seventh grade son Jaxon asked me if he could purchase an FNN-Fake News Network shirt to wear for his field trip. As an advocate for the First Amendment, I agreed to his request,” Stan Jester wrote in a blog post about the incident. “His mother cautioned him that he might cause a controversy and needed to be prepared for that. He was fully aware of the implications of his decision and made the affirmative choice to wear his shirt.” The parents reportedly received a phone call from the school’s principal on the morning of the trip, notifying them that their son had been instructed to change his shirt. The Jesters were “disappointed by the hypocrisy” in the school’s decision. “Some students are celebrated when they make a controversial display during the National Anthem,” the boy’s father continued, pointing out that the school previously issued a statement in defense of students who kneeled for the national anthem on the basis of the First Amendment. “My student was forced to remove his shirt because someone didn’t like it. I defend speech and expression, even if I disagree, or it makes me uncomfortable.” In the comments section, Nancy Jester gave readers an update on what happened after the field trip: “After the class was back from the field trip, the principal and the teacher involved called me. The teacher involved said that she told Jax to change his shirt because she thought his shirt said ‘F-CNN.’ I told her that it absolutely did NOT say that. She apologized and said that she now realizes that the shirt has no profanity or suggestion of profanity on it. The principal stated that he should have been made aware of the situation before Jax was made to change his shirt. He apologized for the incident. We discussed how the shirt could have provided valuable learning opportunities if Jax and his fellow students could have explored how we get news and how we process it. The teacher agreed. “Once home Jax described the situation a little differently. He stated that after he boarded the bus for the trip, the teacher came onto his bus and called his name to come forward. He did so. He felt that he was spoken to in a harsh tone and told he must change. He was respectful and complied. He was very upset but kept that to himself.” While the Jesters are displeased with their son’s school’s decision, others have argued that it wasn’t appropriate for the county commissioner and school board member to send their child off to school wearing the shirt in the first place.
  • Going to Athens and watching the Dawgs 'between the hedges' is one of the best ways to spend a Saturday. Sure, we may be biased, but there are very few environments like it in the country. According to a recent ranking by “For the Win,” the University of Georgia was ranked the second-best college football town in America. TRENDING STORIES: Lawsuit: Sun Dial restaurant ‘had no protections' to stop 5-year-old's death Police: Man who stole Chick-fil-A catering van taken into custody WSB-TV plans extensive coverage of the Georgia Dome demolition “For the Win” tracked social media activity among college football fans to create the rankings. “Come for the great music scene, stay for the football,” the rankings said about UGA. Georgia was beaten only by the University of Wisconsin in Madison. The Texas Longhorns in Austin, the LSU Tigers in Baton Rouge and the Michigan Wolverines in Ann Arbor rounded out the top 5. CLICK HERE to see the complete rankings. Information from JuliaKate E. Culpepper, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, was used in this report.
  • A post on the Pentagon’s official Twitter account called for President Donald Trump’s resignation on Thursday when a message was mistakenly re-tweeted, according to officials with the Department of Defense. >> Read more trending news The tweet was quickly deleted, Politico reported. The original message was posted by Ryan Knight, who goes by the Twitter handle @proudresister. Knight pointed to calls for U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore, of Alabama, to step down amid allegations that he sexually assaulted multiple women, and for Sen. Al Franken, D-Minnesota, to resign after recent allegations that he forcibly kissed a woman in 2006 and groped her as she slept. >> Related: Roy Moore's accuser, wife pictured in yearbook under same high school class, report says “The solution is simple,” Knight wrote. “Roy Moore: Step down from the race. Al Franken: Resign from congress. Donald Trump: Resign from the presidency. GOP: Stop making sexual assault a partisan issue. It’s a crime as is your hypocrisy.” Moore has denied any wrongdoing. Franken apologized on Thursday and called for an investigation into the 2006 incident. >> Related: Sen. Al Franken accused of kissing, groping news anchor without consent The post was shared for a brief time Thursday on the Department of Defense’s official Twitter account. Chief Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White said that the re-tweet was posted accidentally. “An authorized operator of the @DeptofDefense’s official Twitter site erroneously retweeted content that would not be endorsed by the Department of Defense,” White said in a tweet Thursday. “The operator caught this error and immediately deleted it.” More than a dozen women accused Trump of sexual misconduct in the run-up to the 2016 presidential election. He emphatically denied the accusations, which dated back to the 1980s. >> Related: Who is accusing Trump of sexual misconduct? The accusations were made after a 2005 video surfaced in which Trump made derogatory comments about women. 'You know, I'm automatically attracted to beautiful women — I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything,” Trump said in the video. “Grab them by the (expletive). You can do anything.' First lady Melania Trump defended her husband's comments, telling Fox News in 2016 that her husband's words were offensive and inappropriate but that they did not reflect his views on women.
  • A Dunkin’ Donuts worker was fatally hit by a vehicle while sweeping leaves in the drive-through lane Thursday night.  >> Read more trending news A white cargo van sped through the drive-through, striking Jose Furtado, 65, around 7 p.m., according to WABC. Furtado was taken to St. Joseph’s Medical Center, where he died. 'Speed no matter where you go, they don't slow down,” Furtado’s friend, James Reed told WABC. “You know, I think this is a wake-up call for everybody. Everybody knows (Furtado) from Dunkin' Donuts, church folks, church members, no matter who, no matter what race or color or creed they are he'd treat them all the same.' The 59-year-old driver and 15-year-old passenger were not injured.  Police are reviewing surveillance footage.  “No criminal charges have been filed at this time,” Passaic County prosecutor Camelia Valdes told the New Jersey Record. “However, the investigation remains active and ongoing.” The Dunkin’ Donuts, a family-owned franchise which is typically open 24 hours, was closed Thursday to mourn the loss of Furtado.
  • As the holiday season approaches, many families are preparing to take advantage of school breaks, federal holidays and remaining paid time off by traveling out of state to see family and friends and desirable international destinations. But according to the U.S. Department of State, prospective travelers might want to reconsider any plans to journey across the pond. >> Related: 17 states granted extension for REAL ID compliance; Driver's license OK for domestic travel  In a travel advisory issued Thursday, government officials warned citizens of a heightened risk of terrorist attacks throughout Europe, particularly during the holiday season. The advisory urged American travelers who go abroad to be cautious at holiday festivals and events.  Officials cited two terrorist attacks that occurred in Europe last year -- one in which a man drove a truck into a German Christmas market, killing 12 people and injuring dozens more, and another in which a gunman shot and killed 39 people during a New Year’s celebration in Istanbul, Turkey. >> Read more trending news  “Extremists continue to focus on tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls and local government facilities as viable targets. In addition, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, high-profile events, educational institutions, airports and other soft targets remain priority locations for possible attacks,” the advisory reads. “U.S. citizens should exercise additional vigilance in these and similar locations.” The advisory is in effect until Jan. 31. Americans traveling abroad can always check the website of the U.S. Embassy or consulate in a destination city for any recent security messages. >> Related: Paris plans to ban all gas cars by 2030