Will the DeKalb School Board continue with its suit against Governor Nathan Deal?
The suit, filed before Governor Deal, acting on a recommendation from the State Board of Education, argues that the replacement of six board members violated the federal and state constitutions. Federal Judge Richard Story refused to grant a temporary injunction stopping the governor from acting and remanded the case to the Georgia Supreme Court.
But now that the governor’s appointees have been sworn in, DeKalb Board Member Marshal Orson has suggested going to the Georgia Supreme Court may no longer be an option the board, as a whole, wants to pursue.
“I always favor a non-judicial approach to resolving issues,” Orson said after the six new members were sworn into office last week.
Fellow board member Jim McMahan suggested the money now being spent on legal fees associated with the suit might be better spent elsewhere. He told WSB’s Pete Combs that he wanted to ensure “our focus is (to) utilize every penny for student achievement. There are always alternatives to lawsuits.”
The new board meets officially for the first time Wednesday night.