ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
77°
Sct Thunderstorms
H 82° L 70°
  • cloudy-day
    77°
    Current Conditions
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 82° L 70°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    77°
    Evening
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 82° L 70°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    71°
    Morning
    Thunderstorms. H 79° L 71°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

News
 Lawsuit filed against Tyler Perry’s Fort McPherson plans
Close

 Lawsuit filed against Tyler Perry’s Fort McPherson plans

 Lawsuit filed against Tyler Perry’s Fort McPherson plans
Long before Tyler Perry made an offer to buy most of Fort McPherson, a civilian authority sketched a plan to turn the defunct Army post into a thriving hub. The authority — aided by former Mayor Shirley Franklin, East Point officials and community leaders — envisioned a mixed-income housing complex that preserved green space and historic buildings and surrounded a life sciences campus that planners hoped would bring high-paying jobs. It also wanted housing and services for the homeless. Little has happened with that plan, years in the making and crafted with the help of big name real estate firms. Instead, city officials are now negotiating with Perry, who wants to bring a film studio to the site. FULL ARTICLE HERE | Also: New details in Tyler Perry’s plans to buy Fort Mac

 Lawsuit filed against Tyler Perry’s Fort McPherson plans

A local entertainment company has filed a legal challenge to Tyler Perry’s plans to build a motion picture studio at Fort McPherson.

Attorneys for Ubiquitous Entertainment Studios say the company has been planning its own “movie studio entertainment complex” on the Army post for years.

According to the lawsuit, filed in federal court this week, the firm began meeting with the civilian authority overseeing Fort McPherson’s redevelopment about its plans as far back as 2011. UES wanted to buy 80 acres of the 488-acre post.

But purchasing the land was put on hold, according to the suit, because the civilian authority overseeing Fort McPherson redevelopment said it couldn’t negotiate an offer until it owned the property sometime in 2014.

Mayor Kasim Reed confirmed in June that the city has been in negotiations with Tyler Perry Studios to purchase a majority share of the property. Under the proposal, the filmmaker would buy much of the post from the McPherson Implementing Local Redevelopment Authority for $33 million.

MILRA voted last month to begin formal negotiations with Perry. Speaking to a city council committee Wednesday, Reed said the deal now calls for Perry to take control of 330 acres, the city to receive as much as 144 acres (Reed has previously said the city will receive 125 acres) and for the Veterans Affairs hospital to have about 40 acres.

The AJC has reached out to Reed’s office for clarification as those figures exceed the total acreage of the site.

Reed said he expects to sign a memorandum of understanding with Perry within the next 45 days.

UES, according to the lawsuit, believes Reed and MILRA’s actions violate the authority’s by-laws. It’s asking for a declaratory judgment and damages.

“In effect, MILRA confirmed an exclusive franchise or property interest in the Ft. McPherson property to Perry and [Tyler Perry Studios] on a non-bid, non-request for proposal basis, with no advance public notice to give UES and other potential property developers an opportunity to compete for this real estate development. These acts and omissions of MILRA in this regard were arbitrary and capricious government conduct.”

The suit names MILRA, the U.S. Army, other federal agencies, Tyler Perry and his company as defendants.

Jack Sprott, MILRA’s executive director, said Thursday that the authority has not been served with the lawsuit.

City officials, who are not named in the filing, declined comment. A representative for Perry did not immediately respond to a request for comment Friday.

The lawsuit comes amid mixed reactions to the Perry proposal. At a Thursday meeting of the MILRA board, some residents asked for more information about the plan while others criticized how it came about.

Stephen Knight questioned whether it was proper for Reed to strike a deal with Perry and then bring the proposal to MILRA for consideration.

“If the mayor can go out there to save face for himself and make a deal and bring it to this table and have you negotiate it, why can’t you let other people come and present it?” Knight said. “You might’ve gotten a better deal than with Mr. Perry.”

Others have previously praised the deal as a concrete opportunity to bring jobs and development to the post.

State. Sen. Vincent Fort, D-Atlanta, pleaded with the MILRA board Thursday that no matter what comes of Fort McPherson, the plan must involve the local community.

Residents there have spent years working with MILRA, Atlanta and East Point officials crafting a master plan that called for preserving historic buildings, green space and designated property for homelessness service providers.

It’s unclear how the potential sale would impact those elements.

Fort also echoed repeated calls from members of the community for more information about the proposal. MILRA board members have said they can’t discuss the details because negotiations are ongoing.

“I would implore you to provide as much information about how this deal came to fruition, how it’s developing and how it’s working. You can do that without putting the deal at risk,” Fort said. “The community, I will tell you this, the community is skeptical about what is going on over here.”

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

News

  • Crews worked to clean a dangerous drug from a police department headquarters after someone spilled it Wednesday. Channel 2's Tyisha Fernandes was the first to report that Duluth police were transporting fentanyl from the GBI when someone spilled it inside and outside the building. Two Duluth police officers were in an SUV transporting evidence back from the GBI, where it was being tested, to the City of Duluth Public Safety Center when they realized some of the fentanyl had spilled out of an evidence bag. The officers called for help, knowing how dangerous the substance can be. Officials quarantined everything around the vehicle. Hazmat crews tested materials and worked to clean everything up. 'It was pretty scary being so close to, you know, to something that can kill you with the smallest grain,' Duluth police Officer Ted Sadowski said. TRENDING STORIES: 'Cash me ousside' girl pleads guilty to charges Police: Father, son fight back after home invasion, suspect killed HUMAN PLAGUE: 7 things to know, symptoms, how to protect yourself One of the officers was exposed to the drug. Fire crews decontaminated him and he and the other officer are both OK. 'It was very dangerous for our officers to be put in that situation,' Sadowski said. The GBI has halted all evidence from leaving its facility while it investigates the spill. Investigators are working to figure if someone made a mistake. 'I don't know who packaged it, if it was GBI, us or what-not. We're just trying to figure that out,' Sadowski said. GBI officials said they are reviewing their policies and procedures when it comes to packaging evidence.
  • Channel 2 Action News is learning more about an incident involving an Atlanta police officer. APD is investigating claims of excessive force after someone posted video on social media showing an officer punching a man while holding him down. The incident happened in downtown last Thursday. APD sent us the mugshot of Rickey Williams, the man who was getting arrested. Chief Erika Shields with the Atlanta Police Department said Tuesday, the officer seen punching the man, Identified as Officer Quinton Green, has been relieved of duty and is currently on administrative leave. Shields said she will review the evidence to determine the appropriate disciplinary action, if any. 'Chief Shields has always held professionalism and honesty in high regard and will continue to hold her officers to the highest standard,' the Atlanta Police Department said in a statement Wednesday. Check back with WSBTV.com and tune into Channel 2 Action News for updates on this story.
  • A woman carrying her two young sons arrived home from work around 3 a.m., May 12 to find two men had broken into her apartment.  The men shocked her with tasers, threw boiling water on her and raped her while her older son watched, a police report said. Police have arrested 17-year-old Francisco Palencia, 19-year-old Josue Ramirez and an unnamed 15-year-old female in connection with the assault. All three suspects have been charged with home invasion, rape, aggravated sodomy, kidnapping, aggravated battery and cruelty to children. They will appear for a preliminary hearing on July 5 at the Gwinnett County Detention Center.  More arrests in the case are possible, a Gwinnett County Police Department spokesman said.  WATCH: Gwinnett police chase ends in 14 traffic, drug charges Gwinnett mom accused of drugging kids arrested in Tennessee Palencia and the 15-year-old were arrested Tuesday. Jail logs show Ramirez was booked on June 15. Palencia and Ramirez are being held without bond at the Gwinnett County Detention Center. Because the 15-year-old’s identity has not been disclosed, her bond status was not immediately clear. The men were wearing dark clothes and ski masks when the victim found them in the kitchen of her apartment in unincorporated Tucker. She tried to get away from them and protect her children, but one of the men threw two pots of boiling water on her, severely burning her shoulder, a police report said. The men shocked the victim with tasers and pushed her towards the bedroom. They forced her to perform oral sex before raping her on her bed, the police report said. The victim’s older son, who had followed her and the men into the bedroom, sat on the bed as his mother was raped, the report said. Police have not disclosed the age of the victim’s children. The 15-year-old suspect was not in the apartment during the assault, according to the police report. She is believed to have driven Palencia and Ramirez to the apartment, a police spokesman said.  When the men left the apartment, the victim found that the men cut a screen on her back porch and got into the home through an unlocked sliding glass door, according to police. The victim’s jewelry box, school ID and German shepherd puppy were missing from the apartment, the police report said.  The dog had been on the screened-in porch when the victim was at work. Police don’t know if it’s been found.  Like Gwinnett County News on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter and Instagram
  • Travelers waiting to collect their baggage at Lynden Pindling International Airport in Nassau, Bahamas, were in for a surprise when a container filled with crabs popped open on the carousel. >> Read more trending news Footage of the incident was posted to Facebook, where dozens of crabs can be seen climbing over top of people’s suitcases. Some even managed to find their way onto the floor and were “making a break for it.” As the camera pans over the scene, a man appears to be quickly attempting to stuff the crabs back into the cooler from which they escaped. RELATED: TSA officers were stunned when they found this massive live lobster in a piece of luggage “Oh my goodness!” one person can be heard shrieking in the video. “So, while waiting on my bag at LPIA this afternoon, someone’s cooler of crabs popped open on the conveyor belt and they made a run for it,” Lionel Bonimy wrote on Facebook alongside the video. “Bahamians may love to eat crab, but we all sure ain’t trying to catch them!”
  • Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Thursday that he has declared a state of emergency over New York City's trouble public transit system and has asked its new leader to complete a series of urgent reviews of the agency's management and aging infrastructure. The Democratic governor said the state of emergency declaration will help cut red tape and speed up improvements. The city's subways and commuter trains have been plagued by rising delays and unreliable service. Dozens of people were injured when a subway derailed Tuesday. Cuomo, speaking at a conference for the MTA Genius Transit Challenge, which is seeking innovative solutions for the city's transit woes, said he's asked Metropolitan Transportation Authority Chairman Joe Lhota to come up with a reorganization plan in 30 days and an equipment review in 60 days. He also wants a 90-day review of transit power failures. The subway's 'state of decline is wholly unacceptable,' said Cuomo, citing decades of underinvestment, deferred maintenance and surging ridership that have led to a 'maddening' situation. The ongoing subway problems are coupled with repair work that will cause widespread delays at Penn Station, where the subways converge with New York and New Jersey commuter lines and Amtrak trains. Cuomo repeated his warning that rail riders could face 'a summer of hell' but said alternatives like ferries, express buses and creative train scheduling should provide some relief.
  • In a surprise move, Philadelphia's top prosecutor has pleaded guilty to a corruption charge and agreed to resign. District Attorney Seth Williams pleaded guilty Thursday in federal court to a single count of accepting a bribe from a businessman. The move came after weeks of damaging testimony against the two-term Democrat, who didn't run for re-election this year. The 50-year-old Williams was accused of illegally accepting gifts from businessmen in exchange for legal favors. He was also charged with fraudulently using thousands of dollars from his campaign fund for personal expenses, misusing city vehicles and misappropriating money intended to fund his mother's nursing home care. He had been charged with 29 counts of bribery, extortion and fraud. Philly.com reports that although 28 counts were dismissed, a prosecutor said Williams admits he 'committed all of the conduct.