ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
79°
Few Clouds
H 81° L 61°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    79°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 82° L 59°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    82°
    Today
    Partly Cloudy. H 82° L 59°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day Created with Sketch.
    81°
    Tomorrow
    Chance of T-storms. H 81° L 60°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

News
Judge to Governor Deal: Hold off on DeKalb school board
Close

Judge to Governor Deal: Hold off on DeKalb school board

Judge to Governor Deal: Hold off on DeKalb school board
Photo Credit: Phil Skinner, pskinner@ajc.com
State Board of Education member Brian Burdette asks DeKalb school board member Sarah Copelin-Wood a questio in a hearing on Thursday, Feb. 21, 2013.

Judge to Governor Deal: Hold off on DeKalb school board

A federal judge is temporarily preventing Georgia's governor from replacing DeKalb County school board members who were recommended for suspension by the state Board of Education.

Gov. Nathan Deal had scheduled a news conference for 11 a.m. Monday to announce whether he would follow the recommendation to suspend six of the nine board members. That briefing has now been moved to 2:30 p.m.  The order from U.S. District Judge Richard Story doesn't restrain the governor from suspending board members, but it enjoins him from implementing any decision pending a court hearing Friday.

The judge's ruling was in response to a request from the DeKalb County school board. The school board is challenging the Georgia law that allows the governor to suspend and ultimately remove board members at the recommendation of the state Board of Education. That can occur in school systems placed on probation by an accreditation authority.

The judge's ruling calls a time out in the case until Friday.

"If Governor Deal decides to appoint any new member to the board, that proposed member shall not be permitted to take office at this time," Story's order said. "Similarly, if Governor Deal decides to remove any current member of the board, that member will remain in office, but shall not be permitted to act on behalf of the board or take any other official action in his or her capacity as board member."

The DeKalb system, the state's third largest public school system, is at risk of losing accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

The association has put DeKalb County on probation because of a report the association issued in December about abusive behavior, nepotism and questionable financial decisions by board members. An ensuing shakeup left the board with a new chairman and new superintendent.

Even with the changes, the Georgia Board of Education agreed Thursday to recommend suspending six DeKalb board members.

Deal told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he's concerned that the board's dysfunction could taint the broader Atlanta metro area if left unchecked.

"We don't want anything to occur that will jeopardize what a diploma from a DeKalb County high school might mean, so everything that can be done to facilitate and bring this all to some logical conclusion serves us all," he said.

Last week, parents delivered to the governor a petition with more than 1,800 signatures asking him to remove the board members.

Rather than suspending the six, Deal could consider a plan pushed by some legislators to allow the governor's office to monitor the school board's progress in a tightly controlled agreement if the county would abandon its legal challenge to the suspension law.

"There are options other than removal," Democratic Sen. Jason Carter of Decatur said. "Otherwise, the problem he faces is that there's fallout in both directions. If he doesn't remove the board, there's criticism from people who want them removed. And if he does, you're removing people who are duly elected."

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

News

  • Officers opened fire on a woman on U.S. Capitol grounds Wednesday morning after she nearly ran over multiple U.S. Capitol Police officers while fleeing from a traffic stop, authorities said. >> Read more trending stories No injuries were reported. Officers spotted a woman driving erratically around 9 a.m. on Independence Avenue and attempted to stop her car, Capitol police spokeswoman Eva Malecki said. The unidentified woman made a U-turn and fled. She stopped the sedan near the intersection of Washington and Independence avenues, where authorities apparently fired shots at the woman. Malecki declined to say where the bullets landed or how many shots were fired. The incident did not appear to be related to terrorism. “This appears to be criminal in nature with no nexus to terrorism,” Malecki said.
  • Special prosecutors appointed to put Texas' attorney general on trial are threatening to quit if they don't get paid. Republican Ken Paxton was back in a suburban Dallas courtroom Wednesday. He's charged with felony securities fraud over allegations of duping wealthy investors in a tech startup before becoming Texas' top prosecutor. He has pleaded not guilty. If convicted, Paxton faces 5 to 99 years in prison. The trial is set to begin in May. But two appointed special prosecutors say they're owed more than $200,000 and shouldn't have to work for free. A judge has tied up their invoices after a Paxton supporter filed a lawsuit claiming the case is costing taxpayers too much money. Legal experts say they've never seen a case jeopardized like this.
  • Apparently President Donald Trump won’t be singing “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” at Nationals Park on opening day.  Trump has declined to perform the tradition when the Washington Nationals host the Miami Marlins Monday, ESPN reported. >> Read more trending news It is due to a scheduling conflict, The Washington Post reported. The tradition of the president throwing out the first pitch at Washington’s opening-day game started more than 100 years ago , when President William Howard Taft threw out the first pitch for the then-Washington Senators in 1910, ESPN reported.  In recent history, George W. Bush and Barack Obama threw out ceremonial first pitches on opening day. Overall, 13 presidents been part of the ceremony either for the Senators or the Nationals. There is no word on who will have the honor of throwing out the first pitch. Nats all-star pitcher Stephen Strasburg is scheduled to start for Washington. Edinson Volquez is the starter listed for the Marlins. The first pitch is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. ET on Monday.
  • Olympic medalist figure skater Michelle Kwan and Rhode Island attorney and political activist Clay Pell are getting divorced. Pell said in a statement Wednesday that it's with 'deep regret' that the couple's 4-year marriage is coming to an end. They married in Providence in 2013. Pell says it's 'a sad and difficult turn of events.' He says he loves Kwan and wishes her the best as her life takes her in a new direction. He is asking for privacy. Pell is the grandson of Rhode Island's late Democratic U.S. Sen. Claiborne Pell. He ran unsuccessfully for Rhode Island governor in 2014. Kwan won Olympic medals in 1998 and 2002. Both were active supporters of Democrat Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign last year, and Pell was a member of the Electoral College. __ This story has been corrected to show that Kwan was an Olympic medalist, not an Olympic gold medalist.