ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
85°
Mostly Clear
H 86° L 68°
  • cloudy-day
    85°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Clear. H 86° L 68°
  • clear-day
    86°
    Today
    Mostly Clear. H 86° L 68°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    81°
    Tomorrow
    Partly Cloudy T-storms. H 81° L 70°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

News
Judge denies bond to toddler’s dad in hot car death case
Close

Judge denies bond to toddler’s dad in hot car death case

Judge denies bond to toddler’s dad in hot car death case
Photo Credit: BILL TORPY/AJC
Leanna Harris, the mother of 22-month-old Cooper Harris (left), leaves the Cobb County courtroom Thursday. Her husband, Justin Ross Harris, was denied bond Thursday. He is charged with murder in the hot car death.

Judge denies bond to toddler’s dad in hot car death case

Fifteen days after a Cobb County father left his 22-month-old son inside an SUV for hours, testimony inside a packed courtroom Thursday revealed startling new details in the investigation of the child’s death.

Some in the courtroom were visibly shaken to hear contradictory portrayals of the man who said he accidentally left his son in his car seat for seven hours. And though some testimony hinted at the possibility of additional charges in the case, the father’s attorney questioned evidence against his client.

» Listen to Breakdown Season 2 on the Justin Ross Harris case here.

When the three-hour probable cause hearing ended, Justin Ross Harris was denied bond and returned to jail. His wife, holding back tears, was surrounded by family members and friends as she left the courtroom, avoiding any questions.

Magistrate Judge Frank Cox mentioned the possibility of a death-penalty case for the man accused of killing young Cooper on June 18.

It was the testimony from a Cobb County police detective that offered the most new information on the toddler’s last day, as well as his father’s character.

While his 22-month-old son was in his car seat in the backseat of his family’s SUV, a Cobb County father was allegedly sexting underage girls and went to lunch with two college friends, according to testimony Thursday afternoon. Harris told police he accidentally left his son in the SUV while he worked and only realized the boy was in the backseat in the minutes after leaving work, shortly after 4 p.m.

By the time Harris realized his son was still in his car seat, Cooper had likely been dead more than four hours, Detective Phil Stoddard testified. Investigators later determined Harris and his wife were having marital troubles.

Maddox Kilgore, attorney for Harris, argued that there was no evidence that the father intentionally left his young son in the family’s SUV for seven hours, and the arrest warrant should be dismissed.

“It’s not even criminal negligence enough to support a misdemeanor,” Kilgore told the court.

Two longtime friends of Harris both testified that nothing seemed out of the ordinary while they were with him on the day the toddler died. One friend, Alex Hall, testified he drove the three to get lunch and run an errand before dropping Harris off at his SUV, still parked at work.

Harris’ half-brother, Randy Michael Baygents, a police officer for nearly two decades, testified that Harris had solid ties to the community and should be released on bond.

“He’s a loving father,” he said. “He loved his son very much. He’s a good dad.”

In cross examination, the prosecutor told Baygents that his brother had been sexting underage girls.

“In law enforcement, we sometimes find out that people we know we really don’t know?” he said.

“Sometimes,” Baygents replied.

Kilgore told the court the child’s death was an accident and that charges should be dropped.

“An accident doesn’t become a crime because the results are catastrophic,” Kilgore said.

But Judge Frank Cox disagreed, ruling there was probable cause to hold Harris at the Cobb County jail and denied him bond.

According to Stoddard’s testimony, Harris watched videos on the Internet about deaths in hot cars five days before Cooper’s death. Stoddard testified for more than an hour, providing new details about the day Cooper died, as well as Harris’ personal life.

On the morning of the toddler’s death, Harris and his son ate breakfast at a Vinings Chick-fil-A, where Cooper was seen alert and happy, according to testimony. It was Harris’ normal routine to take his son to the daycare center at the Home Depot corporate headquarters, according to police. But after breakfast June 18, Harris drove instead to his office, located about a half-mile away from the restaurant.

Later the same day, Harris texted his wife, Leanna, to ask when she would be picking up “his buddy” from daycare. Leanna went to the daycare center that afternoon, but was told by daycare staff that Cooper had never been dropped off that morning, Stoddard said.

“Ross must’ve left him in the car,” Leanna Harris said in front of witnesses at the daycare, according to Stoddard.

Meanwhile, Ross Harris had left work and driven about five minutes when he said he realized his son was in the backseat, arrest warrants state. He drove into the parking lot of an Akers Mills Road shopping center, got Cooper out of the car and attempted to revive him. Harris didn’t call 911, Stoddard said. But instead, a witness at the scene did.

Leanna Harris was questioned, along with her husband, by investigators the evening of Cooper’s death. No charges were filed against her.

After learning of her son’s death, Leanna Harris showed no real emotion, Stoddard testified. Witnesses have said that Ross Harris was very upset after pulling into the parking lot. But some witness’ accounts differ, Stoddard said.

Harris didn’t tell police while being questioned that he left work for lunch, a detective testified. But investigators reviewed surveillance video from the Home Depot satellite office, where Harris worked, Stoddard testified.

Read More

News

  • Two new strains of fentanyl are so deadly that they may be immune to naloxone, also known as Narcan, the drug used to save those who have overdosed, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said Tuesday in a news release.  >> Watch the news report here >> Police say Narcan prevented them from charging man with DUI Acrylfentanyl and tetrahydrofuran fentanyl were not identified by the GBI until March, when the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office submitted the drugs as part of forensic evidence. A month later, officials investigated four overdoses that killed two people in the county. At the time, authorities thought the overdoses were caused by a bad batch of deadly drugs such as heroin or fentanyl. >> Mom who lost son to opioid overdose shares heartbreaking photo Officials have not said if the two new strains are connected to the overdoses.  “It is not known how the human body will react to both drugs since they are not intended for human or veterinary use,” GBI spokeswoman Nelly Miles said. “The drugs can be absorbed through the skin and are considered highly dangerous.” >> Police officer overdoses after accidental contact with fentanyl on traffic stop One of the drugs – acrylfentanyl – was banned in Georgia in April, she said, and has been on the GBI watch list for months.  “It’s a very potent drug and there’s a high potential it has already killed people in Georgia,” Miles told WSB-TV. “There are multiple reports that (the drugs are) showing resistance to naloxone.”  >> Mass overdose kills four, a dozen more hospitalized in Georgia The new strains come three weeks after four people were killed and dozens suffered from overdoses in a two-day span in Middle Georgia. The chief medical officer at Navicent Health in Macon told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that a new drug in the area was being sold as Percocet. It’s possible the drug could be homemade. 
  • A college student from Gwinnett County is doing his part to help fight hunger using technology.  Jack Griffin, a junior at the University of Michigan, was just a sophomore at Peachtree Ridge High School when he was touched by a news story showing kids his age homeless and in need of food.  “It’s such an invisible problem that, if you’re not impacted by it, it’s so hard to see,” he tells WSB.  While trying to find a place to volunteer, he found the search so cumbersome he knew it would be difficult for those in need to find them.   So, while still in high school, Griffin created the non-profit FoodFinder to help people locate nearby food pantries or free meals. He raised money to develop a website and then added a phone app last year.  “Eighty percent of these kids still have access to a phone. Sixty percent still have access to a smart phone. It’s not an iPhone 7-type deal, but they are going to have access to the internet because it’s a huge lifeline,” says Griffin.  He says organizations that offer food programs including the USDA have partnered with Foodfinder to make sure information on location and times are available on the app.  “There is about a thousand free resources all across the state of Georgia,” he says, with that number reaching more than 3,000 right now to make sure kids are fed during the summer months.  Griffin, who is a business major and community action minor, is working this summer to get the word out about the app and increase access to free meals. 
  • A grand jury indicted former DeKalb County Commissioner Stan Watson with theft Tuesday after he receiving about $3,000 in advances for government trips that he never took. Watson, 63, faces a single count of theft by conversion in DeKalb Superior Court, according to DeKalb District Attorney Sherry Boston’s office. Watson withdrew advance checks in January 2016 for conferences in Chicago and Savannah, but then he resigned from office in March 2016 to run for DeKalb Tax Commissioner. “The state alleges the expense money was then converted to personal use and not repaid until approximately one year later, well after Watson’s resignation,” according to a press release from Boston’s office. “County policy requires any funds advanced for travel but not actually used for said travel be returned to the county immediately.” A warrant was issued for Watson’s arrest, and he’s expected to surrender to authorities, the release said. Watson didn’t immediately return a phone message seeking comment. Exclusive to subscribers: Read the full story on myAJC.com. MYAJC.COM: REAL JOURNALISM. REAL LOCAL IMPACT. The AJC's Mark Niesse keeps you updated on the latest happenings in DeKalb County government and politics. You'll find more on myAJC.com, including these stories: Accused politicians try to undermine ethics oversight in Georgia DeKalb Sheriff Mann could retain office even if found guilty DeKalb police, firefighter pay raise plan revealed Never miss a minute of what's happening in DeKalb politics. Subscribe to myAJC.com. In other DeKalb news:
  • After nearly 40 years of fun, a major overhaul is in the works for Disney’s Epcot. >> Read more trending news Permits already filed reveal big changes for the Universe of Energy pavilion. Sources said a 'Guardians of the Galaxy' ride will likely be announced at D23, a fan event in California held in July. There is also talk of a 'Tron' light cycle ride, like the one in Japan. >> Read: Disney gets permit to add gondola rides at theme park WDW News Today said cast members are already being told Universe of Energy will close Oct. 1 to make room for a new roller coaster. “Those permits are already filed. That’s months ahead and people don’t think Universe of Energy will last through the year,” said Tom Corless of WDW News Today. Earlier this week, plans were also revealed for some kind of project between France and Morocco. It’s rumored it will be 'Ratatouille,' which is already in Disneyland Paris. “Clearly, the 'Ratatouille' ride, and whatever is going to replace Universe of Energy are happening immediately, like they’re going to begin construction by the end of the year,” Corless said. According to WDW News Today, work will begin this fall and will be executed in phases. The overhaul should be complete in five years, just in time for the park’s 40th birthday in the fall of 2022.
  • Phillips Arena, the home of the Atlanta Hawks, is undergoing a major $192 million renovation project.The Hawks made several big announcements about the transformation of Phillips Arena on Wednesday.Channel 2's Justin Wilfon is getting a tour of the Atlanta Hawks' home. Watch The Channel 2 Action News Nightbeat at 11 for more.When the project is finished, the home of the Hawks will feature the NBA's first courtside bar with a view of the court. FIRST LOOK: Renovated @ATLHawks arena will have first NBA courtside bar with view of the court pic.twitter.com/FaHhEI9lKD-- Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) June 28, 2017 Hawks CEO Steve Koonin says the remodeled arena will also feature 'Swing Suites' with Topgolf simulators, a variety of new suites, a barbershop and several new clubs. The renovated @ATLHawks arena will have two 'Swing Suites' with @Topgolf simulators in them pic.twitter.com/r82VfKlaTX-- Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) June 28, 2017 TRENDING STORIES: 'Cash me ousside' girl pleads guilty to charges Police: Father, son fight back after home invasion, suspect killed HUMAN PLAGUE: 7 things to know, symptoms, how to protect yourself Atlanta-based artists Killer Mike of the hip-hop group Run the Jewels and Zac Brown Band are a part of the transformation.Killer Mike has partnered with the arena to open up The S.W.A.G shop, a four-chair barbershop with a view of the court. 'We will open a 4-chair barber shop overlooking the court.' - @SteveKoonin on new S.W.A.G. Shop partnership with @KillerMike-- Atlanta Hawks (@ATLHawks) June 28, 2017 The country group Zac Brown Band will have a social club in the new arena.'It is a great day in the city of Atlanta, and for the Hawks organization,' said Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed at the news conference. Mayor Reed speaking now at Hawks press conference. Says the renovation of Philips Arena is crucial to downtown. pic.twitter.com/Wq2cUoBXxL-- Justin Wilfon (@JustinWilfonWSB) June 28, 2017 Officials said the arena was in some ways built more for a hockey team. And now that they're gone, they'll focus on making Philips Arena a basketball venue.Work is expected to be complete in about 16 months.
  • Chile's biggest asset at the Confederations Cup isn't the dazzling attacking skill of Alexis Sanchez, or even Arturo Vidal's creativity. It's down-to-earth goalkeeper Claudio Bravo, who saves Chile when its hyper-aggressive pressing is no use at all — at the penalty spot. Recently recovered from injury, ridiculed by some fans in England following an erratic season at Manchester City, the 34-year-old was imperious in Wednesday's penalty shootout win over Portugal, stopping every shot he faced. He also made a key stop early in the game, which finished 0-0 after extra time. Bravo isn't charismatic — he talked calmly of feeling 'very balanced' after making the three saves that sent Chile to the Confederations Cup final. But he is the perfect symbol for a Chilean team which, despite its reputation for a swashbuckling attacking style, is happy to grind out wins when the pressure's on. For three years in a row now, Chile has specialized in tough, gritty wins over soccer's superstars. This time, it was Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal, but in 2015 and 2016 it was Lionel Messi and Argentina who fell to Chile on penalties in consecutive Copa America finals, both after goalless draws. Those are the only major trophies Chile has ever won. Chile's style is still based on the aggressive approach of Marcelo Bielsa, who coached the team between 2007 and 2011, but that shouldn't be mistaken for recklessness. 'We were playing with our head as well as our heart,' Bravo said, and coach Juan Antonio Pizzi elaborated on the meticulous video research while allowed Bravo to predict where Portugal's penalties would go. 'You never know exactly what is going to happen, but you can prepare,' Pizzi said. 'Our goalkeeper could foresee what was going to happen and what the player was going to do.' Chile can win in style as a 7-0 demolition of Mexico last year showed, but its heavy emphasis on constant high pressing can produce a stalemate. The Chileans tired themselves out against Portugal — easy to do when it's your fourth game in 12 days — but the constant pressure also forced Portugal to tire, slowing the pace of much of the second half and extra time. For Bravo, though, the key is rock-solid self-belief ahead of a final Sunday against either Germany or Mexico. 'The secret of our success is that we're very constant,' he said. 'We never stop believing in ourselves and we want to do everything we can to win.