ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
62°
Showers
H -° L 44°
  • cloudy-day
    62°
    Current Conditions
    Showers. H -° L 44°
  • rain-day
    Today
    Showers. H -° L 44°
  • clear-day
    54°
    Tomorrow
    Mostly Clear. H 54° L 32°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

News
Jason Carter to challenge Gov. Deal next year
Close

Jason Carter to challenge Gov. Deal next year

Jason Carter's announcement speech

Jason Carter to challenge Gov. Deal next year

Jason Carter, 38

Carter is a ninth-generation Georgian who received his undergraduate degree from Duke University and his law degree from the University of Georgia. A grandson of former President Jimmy Carter, he served in the Peace Corps in South Africa and later wrote a book about the country. He works for the litigation firm Bondurant, Mixson & Ellmore and was first elected to the state Senate in May 2010. He and his wife, Kate, have two young sons.

Democratic state Sen. Jason Carter will challenge Gov. Nathan Deal next year in a move that catapults the gubernatorial contest into the national spotlight and tests whether Georgia’s changing demographics can loosen the Republican Party’s 12-year grip on the state’s highest office.

Carter’s decision, which he announced Wednesday in an exclusive interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, is another step along the trail forged by his famous grandfather Jimmy Carter, who was elected to the state Senate and then the Governor’s Mansion before winning the presidency.

“We can’t wait as a state,” said Jason Carter, who formally announced his candidacy Thursday. “The bottom line is we can’t afford four more years of an economy that’s not working for the middle class and an education system that’s underfunded. It’s not about politics. It’s about making sure we can get the state that we need.”

Carter, 38, becomes the second high-profile Democratic scion to compete for a spot on Georgia’s 2014 ticket. Senate candidate Michelle Nunn, the daughter of former U.S. Sen. Sam Nunn, is her party’s front-runner in the crowded contest to replace retiring Republican U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss.

Carter, who is not stepping down from office, pitches himself as a fiscal conservative who will revamp an education funding system he derides as a “shell game” and restore trust in the government. The latter is a subtle nod to allegations by current and former ethics commission staffers that Deal’s office improperly interfered with the agency probing complaints against him.

“We want a Georgia that’s at its best,” Carter said. “And Georgia at its best invests in education, it doesn’t cut billions out of the classrooms, it has an economy that works for the middle class and it always has an honest government.”

Carter faces the task of convincing voters who have elected Republicans to every statewide office that Democrats are worthy of a return to power. He’ll be forced to confront questions about whether it’s too soon for a gubernatorial bid in a state that gave Mitt Romney a resounding victory just last year. And he must try to keep pace with Deal, who has hit the fundraising circuit to boost the $1.1 million he had in his campaign coffers in July.

Deal’s spokesman Brian Robinson said Thursday the governor intends to focus on “keeping Georgia the No. 1 place to do business,” a mantra he repeats around the state.

“We have governed conservatively but we’ve governed pragmatically and we’ve governed with an open door policy. And people have noticed we have something in office who is mature and capable and has a record of success to run on,” said Robinson. “And he will have a vision for the next four years we will make evident.”

Deal, a former nine-term congressman from Gainesville, handily defeated former Gov. Roy Barnes in 2010 and was expected by many to coast to a second term after largely pacifying his party’s tea party elements while holding the GOP line on most of the contentious issues.

Yet even before Carter’s entrance, the gubernatorial contest was certain to be lively.

Dalton Mayor David Pennington was the first to challenge Deal, hoping to ride a wave of anti-incumbent discontent to oust the governor in the GOP primary. Next in was state Schools Superintendent John Barge, one of the governor’s top GOP rivals, who made the funding of education the centerpiece of his campaign.

And waiting for the eventual GOP nominee in November likely will be Carter. (Former state Sen. Connie Stokes, the first Democrat to announce against Deal, said Thursday she would instead challenge Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle.)

Deal, for his part, has campaigned across the state with an air of inevitability and has yet to outline many second-term initiatives beyond a push in 2015 to overhaul the school funding formula. The 71-year-old has cast the turmoil wracking the ethics commission as an internal dispute involving “personal agendas” from employees not under his oversight.

At events, Deal credits tax breaks and incentives he’s promoted with helping to create about 175,000 jobs since he took office. And this week he celebrated a magazine’s ranking of Georgia as the nation’s leading place to do business, saying he fulfilled a campaign vow.

“We’re just at the beginning,” Deal said at the event. “We’re going to continue to grow, and we’re going to continue to get better.”

Carter’s political career began in 2009 when he announced a bid to succeed state Sen. David Adelman, who was tapped to be the U.S. ambassador to Singapore. He secured the endorsement of prominent Jewish leaders, allaying the suspicions of some voters in the DeKalb County district angry at his grandfather’s criticism of Israeli policy, and helped broker a formal apology from the ex-president to the Jewish community.

He won in a four-way race in 2010 to claim a spot in the Senate, and he quickly became one of his party’s most outspoken leaders on its top legislative priorities. He advocated for an income cap for the HOPE scholarship that would grant full tuition to needier students, and he challenged GOP efforts to undo legislation aimed at protecting minority voters.

Whether his grandfather will be an asset or liability in the eyes of Georgians remains unknown. The elder Carter canvassed door to door with his grandson days before the 2010 election, and he’s popular among many Georgia Democrats. But, like Michelle Nunn’s family connection, the biggest benefit will likely be Carter’s ability to tap his grandfather’s donor network.

“He’s my grandfather and he cares about me and we talk,” the younger Carter said. “But at the end of the day, this campaign will be about getting Georgia back to where it needs to be. It’s about the future and not my family.”

The former president said in a statement Thursday he was excited about his grandson’s candidacy and that the state would “greatly benefit from a smart and fresh leader” with a focus on education, the economy and transparency.

With his announcement, Carter joins Nunn to become the first of a crop of young Democrats testing a statewide run. Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed and House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams are often seen as candidates for higher office, though both seem likely to wait another cycle or two before running statewide.

There’s a reason many Democrats are considering a run down the road.

The white proportion of voters shrunk 9 points to 66 percent from 2002 to 2010, and the dive was even more pronounced during presidential election years. About 44 percent of Georgia residents are now minorities — up 7 points in the past decade — and nonwhites could outnumber whites here by 2020.

But Carter said he believes frustrated voters are more than ready for a change now.

“I wouldn’t be getting in this race if I didn’t think I was going to win,” Carter said. “I’m still mad that I finished second in my law school class. I’m not in this to finish second. I think we have every opportunity to win.”

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

News

  • Authorities arrested a 16-year-old on Monday morning after authorities said he shot a 15-year-old girl at a Texas high school, according to the Ellis County Sheriff's Office. >> Read more trending news
  • Dramatic video captured the moment a Georgia girl was thrown off a ladder and caught by a heroic firefighter weeks ago. Now, the two have reunited.  >> Watch the news report here WSB-TV was there when DeKalb County Fire Capt. Scott Stroup met the girl this weekend.  >> WATCH: Firefighter catches child thrown from burning building The fire ripped through the Avondale Forest Apartments on Jan. 3.  >> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news  Helmet camera video showed the moment the toddler was dropped down to a firefighter as the flames roared around them. >> Read more trending news  An estimated 50 people were left without a place to live after the massive fire at the Decatur apartment complex. >> Watch the raw video here
  • A jury in a federal civil case has found that former Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke did not violate a man's free speech with taunting Facebook posts after detaining him at an airport last year.Jurors deliberated nearly three hours before deciding Monday night that Clarke's posts were not enough to chill Daniel Black's future speech. Clarke resigned on Aug. 31 to join a political action committee that supports President Donald Trump.Black says he shook his head at Clarke last January on a flight from Dallas to Milwaukee because Clarke was wearing Cowboys gear when they were playing the Green Bay Packers in the playoffs. Black says the sheriff had his deputies detain and question him for 15 minutes after he got off the plane in Milwaukee.
  • Hundreds of thousands of federal workers are expected to return to work now that Congress has agreed on temporary funding for the government and President Donald Trump has signed the bill into law.Democrats reluctantly voted to temporarily pay for resumed operations, relenting in return for Republican assurances that the Senate will soon take up the plight of young immigrant 'dreamers' and other contentious issues.The end to the standoff began Monday when the Senate passed a stopgap funding measure 81-18, with senators from both parties voting against it. The House quickly approved, and Trump signed the measure Monday night.Democrats gave in after wrangling a promise that the GOP-run Senate would debate an immigration proposal even if it doesn't have the backing of Republican leaders and the White House.
  • As the shutdown of the federal government lumbered toward an end, President Donald Trump remained out of sight, suppressing his instincts to become part of the story by making a deal or picking a fight.Trump told allies over the weekend that he hated being on the sidelines, but he followed the recommendations of his staff and key congressional Republicans and removed himself from the negotiations. The president limited his public pronouncements to a few Twitter bursts that bashed Democrats.He did not reach out to Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer or any other Democrat, instead calling fellow Republicans and Cabinet members to check on the response to the shutdown.The White House defended Trump's hands-off approach to the negotiations, one out of character for a president who made his reputation as the master of 'The Art of the Deal,' as he titled one of his books.'Look, what the president did clearly worked,' said White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders. She told reporters that Trump's focus was on minimizing the impact of the shutdown on Americans.'That's been a big priority for the president,' she said. 'I think that it certainly went much smoother than it has in the past, but also the president was putting pressure and standing firm on exactly what he was willing to do and what he wasn't.'Trump's shifting positions, particularly on protections for young immigrants, twice scuttled deals that could have avoided the shutdown, frustrating Republicans and Democrats alike. Schumer, who believed he was close to a deal on Friday after meeting the president at the White House over cheeseburgers, blasted Trump's refusal to re-engage.'The White House refused to engage in negotiations over the weekend,' Schumer said Monday. 'The great deal-making president sat on the sidelines.'Trump initially chafed at remaining out of the fray, grousing to aides and outside advisers that he feared taking the blame. He watched hours of coverage of the shutdown on cable TV over the weekend — including clips of him blasting President Barack Obama for being passive during the 2013 shutdown — and made a series of calls to allies in which he expressed fear he was looking weak, according to a person familiar with the conversations but not authorized to speak about them publicly.But Trump was pleased with the work of his staff defending him on air and urged them to 'hold the line' during a visit to Sanders' office, which had become a de facto war room in the West Wing, according to a White House official, who was not authorized to speak publicly about internal discussions. The president warmed to playing hardball with the Democrats, and urged Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Speaker Paul Ryan to keep winning the debate.Trump was also warned by allies, including chief of staff John Kelly and budget director Mick Mulvaney, not to reopen negotiations with Schumer, whom White House staffers believed would have to fold. And while Trump did not make any appearances where he could have been subjected to reporters' questions, the White House released a series of staged photos of the president, including one in which he wears a 'Make America Great Again' hat and holds a phone to his ear while sitting at his Oval Office desk.The White House may take a more leading role on the revived immigration debate, according to the official, and hosted senators for a discussion on the topic Monday. The president also finally broke his silence on the shutdown after the Senate vote to temporarily fund the government but only via a statement in which he said he was 'pleased Democrats in Congress have come to their senses.'___Lemire reported from New York. Associated Press writer Zeke Miller contributed reporting.___Follow Lemire on Twitter at http://twitter.com/@JonLemire and Superville at http://twitter.com/@dsupervilleap
  • The swift steps ending a messy and expensive government shutdown set the stage for hundreds of thousands of federal workers to return Tuesday, but some say they fear they could find themselves in limbo again in a few more weeks.Congress sped toward moving to reopen government after Democrats reluctantly voted to temporarily pay for resumed operations on Monday afternoon. The House approved the measure shortly thereafter, sending the spending bill to President Donald Trump, who quickly signed it.Ali Niaz, a Department of Labor employee who was sent home Monday, took advantage of the partial three-day federal paralysis to tap into shutdown discounts offered by a tavern in the nation's capital. He asked the bartender if the same deals would be 'offered next month when the government shuts down again' — already pointing to when a temporary spending measure ends in early February.For days, the shutdown effectively cleaved the federal workforce in half as hundreds of thousands of workers were sent home while others declared essential employees stayed on the job.Felicia Sharp, a lab tech with the Defense Department at Fort Belvoir in northern Virginia, was deemed essential and reported to work Monday. She said the whiplash that occurs when employees are furloughed makes it hard to plan upon returning to work.Sharp, who also serves as a local president for the American Federation of Government Employees, said the deal that keeps government open for a few weeks, 'only just postpones the inevitable for a while.' When the next deadline approaches, she predicted, 'it will be the same situation all over again.'During the 2013 shutdown, which lasted more than two weeks, Sharp took on two part-time jobs to make sure her bills were paid.J. David Cox, national president of the American Federation of Government Employees, which represents 700,000 federal and D.C. government workers, said his members have been exasperated with the inability of Congress and Trump to negotiate a budget.'We can't be the ball for the pingpong game,' Cox said, after Senate Democrats dropped their objections Monday to a temporary funding bill in return for assurances from Republicans leaders that they will soon take up immigration and other hot-button issues.___Associated Press writers Denise Lavoie in Richmond, Virginia, and Ashraf Khalil in Washington contributed to this report.