cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
Broken Clouds
H 75° L 58°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Cloudy. H 75° L 58°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    Mostly Cloudy. H 75° L 58°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day Created with Sketch.
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 76° L 60°

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Police seek 3 men in NW Atlanta murder, home invasion

A slain northwest Atlanta home invasion victim may have been targeted Tuesday by a robbing crew that likely has pulled similar crimes, police said.

Jerrick Jackson was shot multiple times in the torso early Tuesday morning as he tried to fight off a group of armed robbers trying to force their way into his home, police said.

“It is a possibility that Mr. Jackson was going to be the victim of a robbery that went bad,” said Atlanta Police Maj. Darryl Tolleson, commander of the department’s major crimes division.

And now police are asking for the public’s help to solve the case.

On Tuesday, police released surveillance footage of three men they are calling “persons of interest” in connection with Jackson’s shooting death.

“These individuals attempted to use the stolen debit card … taken from the homicide scene … that belonged to Mr. Jackson’s fiancee,” Tolleson said.

The images come from video footage recorded at a store in the 3100 block of Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway about nine hours after the fatal shooting, police spokesman Sgt. Greg Lyon said.

Jackson, 47, is the younger brother of Gospel Tabernacle Cathedral’s Bishop Wiley Jackson.

Tolleson said Jerrick Jackson and his fiancée returned home from having a late dinner around 1 a.m., on Tuesday.

“As he pulled into his driveway, we believe he was followed by some individuals,” he said.

Three or four people emerged from a black Ford Mustang and approached the couple, police said.

“He and his fiancée were robbed at gunpoint, then forced into the home,” Tolleson said. “Once inside the home, we believe a fight took place and at that point, we believe Mr. Jackson was shot.”

Investigators think the bandits took notice of Jackson’s Porsche SUV and followed him home, although it’s unclear when and where they first spotted him.

“We think he was targeted, perhaps by the vehicle he was driving,” Tolleson said. “It was a high-end vehicle.”

Complex case investigators from the department’s homicide unit took up the case and have found links to other robberies.

“We’re also looking at some similarities as it relates to a couple of other robberies,” Tolleson said. “We’ve identified a vehicle that’s possibly robbed other people.”

The video shows two of the three persons of interest clearly, investigators have also released still photos of the two men extracted from the footage.

Investigators ask that anyone able to identify either of these to call the APD Homicide unit at 404-546-4235.

Anonymous tips can be submitted to Crime Stoppers Atlanta at 404-577-8477, online at www.crimestoppersatlanta.org, or by texting CSA and the tip to 274637. An award of up to $2,000 is available for information leading to an arrest or indictment.

The investigation is ongoing.

Please return for updates.

Read More


  • The British man who killed four people during a London rampage had made three trips to Saudi Arabia: He taught English there twice on a work visa and returned on a visa usually granted to those going on a religious pilgrimage. More details about attacker Khalid Masood's travels, confirmed by the Saudi Arabian embassy in Britain, emerged Saturday amid a massive British police effort to discover how a homegrown ex-con with a violent streak became radicalized and why he launched a deadly attack Wednesday on Westminster Bridge. The embassy said he taught English in Saudi Arabia from November 2005 to November 2006 and again from April 2008 to April 2009, with legitimate work visas both times. He then returned to Saudi Arabia for six days in March 2015 on a trip booked through an approved travel agent and made on an 'Umra' visa, usually granted to those on a religious pilgrimage to the country's Islamic holy sites. The embassy said Saudi security services didn't track Masood and he didn't have a criminal record there. Before taking the name Masood, he was called Adrian Elms. He was known for having a violent temper in England and had been convicted at least twice for violent crimes. Masood drove his rented SUV across London's crowded Westminster Bridge on Wednesday, striking pedestrians. Then he jumped out and stabbed to death police officer Keith Palmer, who was guarding Parliament, before being shot dead by police. In all, he killed four people and left more than two dozen hospitalized, including some with catastrophic injuries. The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the attack, calling him a 'solider' who responded to its demands that followers attack countries in the coalition fighting IS in Syria and Iraq. British officials said security at Parliament will be reviewed after new footage emerged that showed the large gates to the complex were left open after Masood rushed onto the grounds. There are concerns that accomplices could have followed him in and killed even more people. The footage from that day shows pedestrians walking by the open gates and even a courier entering Parliament grounds. Former Metropolitan Police commissioner Ian Blair told the BBC that changes to the 'outer soft ring' of Parliament's security plan are likely in the aftermath of Masood's attack. The new footage follows earlier video that showed slight delays and confusion during the evacuation of Prime Minister Theresa May from Parliament as the attack unfolded. Masood, who at 52 is considerably older than most extremists who carry out bloodshed in the West, had an arrest record in Britain dating to 1983. In 2000, he slashed a man across the face in a pub parking lot in a racially charged argument after drinking, according to a newspaper account. Masood's last conviction, in 2003, also involved a knife attack. One victim, Danny Smith, told The Sun newspaper that Masood had stabbed him in the face with a kitchen knife after an argument just three days after they met. Hundreds of British police have been working to determine his motives and are scouring Masood's communications systems, including his possible use of the encrypted WhatsApp device, to help determine if he had any accomplices. Still, police have released many of those they took in for questioning in the case. One 58-year-old man remains in custody for questioning after being arrested Thursday in the central English city of Birmingham, where Masood was living. Authorities haven't charged or identified him. A 32-year-old woman arrested in Manchester has been released on bail and faces further inquiries. Police said Saturday that a 27-year-old man arrested Thursday in Birmingham has been released. Eight others arrested in connection with the investigation had been set free earlier, including a 39-year-old woman who had initially been freed on bail but now faces no further police action, police said Saturday. Details about how Masood became radicalized aren't clear, although he may have become exposed to radical views while an inmate in Britain or while working in conservative Saudi Arabia. It's also not clear when he took the name Masood, suggesting a conversion to Islam.
  • RADFORD, N.C. (AP) - A North Carolina sheriff says a newborn and the baby's 2-year-old sister have been found stabbed to death.Hoke County Sheriff Hubert Peterkin tells WRAL (http://bit.ly/2n1S80h) the bodies of 4-day-old Genesis Freeman and 2-year-old Serenity Freeman were found Saturday in the woods near an intersection close to the city of Raeford.Before they were found, their 30-year-old father Tillman Freeman was arrested and charged with two counts of child abuse and child endangerment. Authorities said the father refused to cooperate with the investigation into the children's whereabouts. TRENDING STORIES: Plane crashes near Cobb County home; 1 killed Company will pay you $10K a month to travel, stay in luxury homes Home Depot accused of unsafe practices; Criminal investigation launched They have not said who they think killed the children, who were reported missing following a domestic dispute. Freeman's wife was in a local hospital when the children disappeared.Details about the domestic dispute were not immediately released. It's not clear whether Freeman has an attorney.
  • Tens of thousands protested Saturday under sunny skies in London against plans for Britain to withdraw from the European Union. The Unite for Europe march, which saw many people carrying bright blue EU flags, came just days before Britain is expected to begin its formal separation from the other 27 nations in the EU. The crowds observed a minute of silence at Parliament Square as a tribute to the four victims killed and dozens wounded in an attack Wednesday on Parliament. Many bowed their heads as Big Ben chimed and placed flowers at Parliament's gate to honor the victims. Police did not provide a crowd estimate. Organizers said more than 25,000 people were present. There was also a smaller anti-Brexit protest march in Edinburgh, Scotland. Organizers considered delaying the long-planned march because of the attack — in part to avoid putting extra strain on British police — but decided to go ahead. Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron told the crowd that 'democracy continues' despite the assault. 'We stand in defiance of that attack,' he said. Prime Minister Theresa May plans to trigger Article 50 of the EU treaty on Wednesday, setting the Brexit process in motion. Negotiations are expected to take at least two years. Britain voted in a June 23 referendum to leave the EU.
  • Friends and loved ones of a missing Iraq War vet gathered Saturday night to pray for his safe return, some three years after he disappeared.Chase Massner is a husband, a father and a veteran.His mother Stephanie has worried about him every day for three years.'That's her only son and you know, it's really affected her,' stepsister Karen Cunningham told Channel 2's Matt Johnson.She was one of about 30 people turned out at Noonday Park Saturday night to pray for Massner's safe return.His wife Amanda told Johnson doctors had treated Massner for post-traumatic stress disorder in 2014.His family said he was last seen at a friend's house in Kennesaw three years ago this coming Monday. TRENDING STORIES: NTSB begins removing wreckage from deadly plane crash Rain, storm chances increase Saturday night Shooting suspect found dead inside apartments after standoff 'We don't know what happened. It's like he vanished from that home, not to be seen or heard from again,' Mary Allredge said.Allredge is a military mom who makes the drive from Alabama to Cobb County every year to help search for Massner.Channel 2 Action News first told you about volunteers searching through parts of Kennesaw for any sign of him in 2015.People involved in the case say they will not give up.'That's a soldier left behind,' Allredge told Johnson. Meanwhile, friends and family lit candles and released balloons Saturday at the park where they gather every year.'It's definitely a good feeling to know that there's still people out there in hopes of finding him,' Cunningham said.Next to the park bench dedicated to Massner, friends, family and volunteers hang on to hope they can see his smile again, in person.'My goal is closure. Hopefully positive closure for the family, to bring Chase home,' Allredge said.