Mostly Clear
H 63° L 40°
  • cloudy-day
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Clear. H 63° L 40°
  • clear-day
    Mostly Clear. H 63° L 40°
  • cloudy-day
    Partly Cloudy. H 59° L 36°

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

‘Just tell everyone I’m sorry,’ man said before throwing infant son off bridge, mom testifies

A Connecticut man who called his mother moments before he is accused of throwing his 7-month-old son off of a bridge to his death in 2015 apologized for what he was about to do, jurors learned Friday.

Tony Moreno of East Hampton awakened his mother late on July 5, 2015, crying and asking her to drive to the Arrigoni Bridge, which spans the Connecticut River in Middlesex County, to pick up the baby’s stroller and a cellphone containing photos of his son, the New Haven Register reported. A tearful Denise Moreno testified on the first day of Tony Moreno’s murder trial that she feared that her son, then 22, would jump.

She could hear her grandson, Aaden Moreno, cooing in the background during the phone call, Denise Moreno testified.

“Just tell everybody that I’m sorry,” Tony Moreno told his mother before ending the call, Denise Moreno testified. She hurried to the bridge, about two miles from their home, calling 911 on the way. The Register reported that the 911 call was played for the jury on Friday.

Moreno, now 23, is charged with murder and risk of injury to a minor. At the time of the crime, the young father shared custody of Aaden with his ex-girlfriend, Adrianne Oyola.

Jurors also heard from Middletown police Officer Austin Smith, who arrived at the bridge simultaneously with Denise Moreno. Both testified that they saw Tony Moreno standing on the bridge, but saw no sign of Aaden.

“I saw the look on his face,” Denise Moreno said, according to the Register. “He was distraught. He was upset. His eyes were puffy. I told him to put one foot in front of the other and keep coming. He said he couldn’t.”

Smith, who tried to convince Tony Moreno to walk toward him, testified that Moreno instead looked at him and then “put both hands on the railing and hurl(ed) himself over.”

Denise Moreno, Smith and Officer Andrew Wasilewski, who had just arrived, ran to the railing and saw Tony Moreno hit the water’s surface 90 feet below.

The Hartford Courant reported that Denise Moreno, who could be heard on the police radio transmission screaming, “He jumped, he jumped,” then ran to the baby stroller looking for her grandson.

“There was just blankets,” Denise Moreno testified.

Wasilewski could be heard in the police recording reporting that Tony Moreno was in the river.

“We don’t know where the kid is,” Wasilewski said, according to the Courant. “We have an empty baby carriage.”

>> Read more trending stories

As the officers and Tony Moreno’s brother, Aaron Moreno, searched the bridge for Aaden, police officers who were en route to the scene responded to the riverbank beneath the bridge, the Courant reported. Officer Steven DiMassa testified Friday that he and his partner spotted Tony Moreno treading water.

They shouted to him, asking where Aaden was, DiMassa testified.

He never answered their question, even after he’d been pulled from the water, the police officer said. Aaden’s body was found by a kayaker two days later and 14 miles downstream.

Jurors also heard from two witnesses on Friday who testified that they drove over the bridge moments before Aaden’s death. Both said they saw a man on the bridge holding a baby dressed in a white onesie.

The Register reported that each witness demonstrated on a similarly dressed doll how the man was holding the baby. Photos taken during the testimony of Kimberly Parady show her holding the doll up in front of her at about shoulder height.

Parady testified that she continued her drive home and went to sleep. She called police the next morning after getting a news alert on her phone about the search for Aaden’s body.

The Courant reported that Tony Moreno and Oyola had a contentious relationship after their split and that Oyola had previously been granted a restraining order after she told a family court judge Moreno was abusive and that she feared for her safety and that of her son. The judge declined to extend the restraining order, however, and encouraged Moreno and Oyola to work out their differences and come up with a custody agreement. 

Aaden was killed on a day he was scheduled to be with his father, the newspaper reported.

Moreno's murder trial was scheduled to resume Tuesday morning. 

Read More

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.


  • The wife of U.S. Sen. Rand Paul says her husband hasn't taken a single breath without pain since what she calls 'a deliberate, blindside attack' by a Kentucky neighbor earlier this month.Authorities say the Republican was attacked Nov. 3 by Rene Boucher while mowing his lawn. Kelley Paul writes in an essay published by CNN that her husband suffered six broken ribs and fluid in his lungs. Paul says he was diagnosed with pneumonia after returning from Washington last week.Boucher is charged with misdemeanor assault. His attorney blames the attack on a 'trivial' dispute and says it wasn't politically motivated.Kelly Paul says neither she, nor her husband, have spoken to Boucher in 10 years. She writes that 'the only 'dispute' existed solely in the attacker's troubled mind.
  • Police are warning mall goers this holiday season after Channel 2 Action News obtained video that shows a man and woman installing a card skimmer on an ATM at Lenox Square. A witness told Channel 2’s Carl Willis he saw it happen and told security. 'It's the season and everyone is going to be pulling out cash,' the witness told Willis, asking not to be identified. 'They did it very swiftly and very quick.' The man told Willis he happened to be standing on the second floor of Lenox Square when he looked down and saw a couple install two devices on an ATM 'I see the guy applying a lot of pressure in the top right corner. I thought that was abnormal,' the man said. TRENDING STORIES: Ex-Braves GM banned for life by MLB; Atlanta loses prospects 60+ people fall ill after company Thanksgiving party Jailhouse phone calls reveal aftermath of deadly heroin-fueled crash Police say the couple seen on the video installed a card skimmer at an ATM in the middle of the mall’s food court 'As you watch you can see that they may have installed a pin camera,' Sgt. Paul Cooper, with the Atlanta Police Department’s major fraud unit, told Willis. With your card number and your PIN, thieves have everything they need to go on a shopping spree. Police told Willis there's been an uptick in this kind of activity in the past couple of years. 'Our best guess is because we're transitioning from the mag-stripe to the chip and pin. The chips are encrypted and it's a lot harder to duplicate those cards,' Cooper said. Cooper worries if scammers are bold enough to hit a mall ATM, there are likely many more devices out there. 'We do try to target these people. We see that they tend to cross state lines they may be working the entire eastern seaboard right now,' Cooper said. For now, shoppers will have to take steps to keep thieves from swiping your information. 'Take that extra couple of seconds. Tug on it (the card reader). Look for those cameras. Just make sure you don't get burned,' Cooper told Willis. 'Definitely cover up your PIN if you're not sure that it's a valid swiper or valid scanner try using another ATM,” the witness said. Police are asking anyone who may recognize the man and woman in the video to call Crime Stoppers at 404-577-8477.
  • Cam Newton describes it as his resurrection day.The Carolina Panthers quarterback reflected on his arrest in 2008 for stealing a laptop while at the University of Florida. He reflected Wednesday on what he said was a low point in his life.Newton was charged with felony counts of burglary, larceny and obstructing justice. He posted his police mug shot on the nine-year anniversary of his arrest Tuesday, saying he did it to show others that people can rebound from the mistakes.'A lot of me changed that day, for obvious reasons,' Newton said during a news conference on Wednesday. 'My biggest scar, in essence, ended up being my biggest star.'He thought his football career was over. He completed a pretrial diversion program, struck a plea deal and all charges were dropped. The moment still sticks with Carolina Panthers quarterback as the low point of his life.But Newton said hitting rock bottom helped turn his life around.Since transferring from Florida amid allegations that he cheated on classwork, Newton has enjoyed plenty of success on the field. He has won two national championships — one at Blinn College and another at Auburn. He was the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft in 2011, is a former league MVP award, has played in three Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl. The 28-year-old has also run for more touchdowns than any QB in NFL history.He also has several endorsement deals.Newton said he contemplated whether or not to post his arrest photo, knowing it would open him up to more scrutiny from and bring back some painful memories. But he said he thought someone who has made a mistake might benefit if he did.'For a person that probably made a mistake, no matter what it was, to try to be better from it,' Newton said. 'I have (people I know) that are in the penitentiary, family members that are incarcerated. But yet that doesn't define them. We are all owed a second chance, even third and fourth chances.'It is what you learn from it that defines you.'Newton has had to live by those words.His share of off-the-field issues didn't cease after he left Florida.In 2010, the NCAA said Newton's father, Cecil Newton, and another unnamed person tried to market Newton 'as a part of a pay-for-play scenario in return for Newton's commitment to attend college and play football.' Newton was suspended for one day but then reinstated after an NCAA investigation determined he had not violated any rules.Newton's image took a hit after his abbreviated press conference following a Super Bowl loss to the Denver Broncos in February of 2016 where he barely answered questions, carrying himself as a poor loser.And he lost a sponsor earlier this year following sexist remarks he made to a female reporter during a news conference. He later apologized on social media for his comments.Newton said after talking with a friend about all of his past problems he decided to post the arrest photo, saying he was 'thankful' for a second chance.'I don't want to be the poster child of perfection because when you put yourself up on that pinnacle and you finally mess up, that's when it all comes tumbling down,' Newton said. 'I want people to look at me and say, 'Cam is still going strong, but look at the mistakes that he has made.''I'm still a work in progress myself.'Newton had received more than 215,000 'likes' on his Instagram post as of Wednesday.'It was a turning point in his life, obviously,' Panthers coach Ron Rivera said. 'I think it helped him. He could have gone one way or the other. I think it motivated him to do things the right way.'Panthers wide receiver Russell Shepard wasn't surprised by Newton's Instagram post.'That's Cam,' Shepard said. 'Cam is going to be bold. He's going to be very opinionated. He's going to be the guy that isn't the stereotypical type of guy. That is what makes him who he is. That is what makes his story a little different than most franchise quarterbacks.'___For more NFL coverage: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFL
  • A Cherokee County hopes new sketches from state investigators will lead to an arrest in their loved one’s murder.  Police say he was kidnapped, shot and left for dead on the side of Interstate 75 in January 2016.  “It was just like someone ripped my heart out because he was just … He was someone I loved,” Gary McCoy said about the killing of his brother, Herbert “Buster” Perkinson III.  McCoy told Channel 2 investigative reporter Mark Winne that his family and friends called his brother the third Buster. “He was one of eight, and he was just the life of the party,” McCoy told Winne.  He now hopes sketches of two men drawn by a Georgia Bureau of Investigation forensic artist will generate information that will help investigators catch Perkinson’s killers. TRENDING STORIES: Worker killed after woman drives onto sidewalk on busy road, police say There's a Christmas tree shortage in metro Atlanta Arrests made in violent robberies of Asian-owned businesses GBI Agent Bahan Rich said that about 5 a.m. on Jan. 17, 2016, two men surprised Perkinson and two friends in his driveway in Emerson, in Bartow County, and abducted him. Soon after, he was found about three miles away, north of Exit 277 on I-75 south, just inside Cherokee County.  Rich said Perkinson later died of a gunshot wound at a hospital.  “We believe that it is someone that is very familiar with our victim,” Rich told Winne.  Rich said the two suspects in the sketches may be from the Bartow or north Cobb County area, and one avenue of investigation involves the shadowy underground of dog-fighting. Rich told Winne that Perkinson sold pit bulls. “The family, we still hurt every day. Put yourself in our position,” McCoy said.   Rich says one suspect has a medium complexion, may be between 30 and 40 years old, is about six feet tall and may have had a mustache. The other suspect has a slightly darker complexion, also may be between 30 and 40 years old and could be slightly taller. “We really have a very good artist,” Rich told Winne.   GBI forensic artist Kelly Lawson said God guides her hand in a way that often results in uncanny matches between her drawings and the actual suspects once they are eventually caught, and she hopes the drawings in this case help the family get answers. “We still have faith. We are a family of faith that he or she will be brought to justice,” McCoy told Winne. 
  • An attorney for a Democratic state senator resigning over sexual harassment allegations raised questions Wednesday about two key accusers and suggested they may have wanted to sabotage the senator's campaign for higher office.Sen. Dan Schoen, of St. Paul Park, didn't appear at a news conference two weeks after he was first accused of misconduct ranging from groping to unwanted advances.His attorney, Paul Rogosheske, said Schoen stands by his denials of any wrongdoing aside from sending a photo of male genitalia to a female Senate staffer, which he said was accidentally sent to the wrong person. Rogosheske said two women who have alleged sexual harassment, Lindsey Port and state Rep. Erin Maye Quade, have been 'misrepresenting' their encounters with Schoen.Port was a Democratic legislative candidate in 2015 when, she said, Schoen repeatedly complimented her bottom and later groped her buttocks at a campaign event. Maye Quade, also a Democrat, said Schoen made unwanted sexual advances to her by text.Rogosheske said several witnesses at the same event as Port and Schoen in 2015 said they didn't witness any groping, including at the specific time Port said it occurred. Rogosheske said the supposed witnesses were unwilling to come forward and declined to identify them.He also said Maye Quade misinterpreted a text from Schoen that was intended for someone else. He disputed her account that Schoen was making unwanted advances, handing out more than a dozen pages of screenshots from Schoen's phone that do not include repeated invitations to Maye Quade to have a drink with him that she initially recounted.The texts centered around weeks of unrest in north Minneapolis in November 2015 after a black man was shot and killed by police after what onlookers described as a scuffle. The alleged screenshots show Maye Quade initially reached out for advice, and the pair exchanged messages as protesters surrounded a local police precinct in the days after Jamar Clark's death.A third claim against Schoen — by a female Senate staffer who said he sent her a photo of male genitalia — was simply a mistake by Schoen with a picture intended for someone else, Rogosheske said. He had previously told Minnesota Public Radio News that Schoen had never sent explicit photos to any woman.Asked if his client ever harassed anyone, Rogosheske responded: 'Never meant to sexually harass anybody.'I sincerely wish that I had known at the time that I was making friends uncomfortable,' Schoen wrote in his resignation letter. His resignation is effective Dec. 15.Rogosheske also noted that Port's business partner is running for state auditor and suggested the accusations may have been intended to derail a competing bid by Schoen. Port was traveling Wednesday and didn't respond to messages.Maye Quade referred a request for comment to her statement Tuesday night on Schoen's resignation, highlighting one portion that said: 'Unless systematic and widespread changes are enacted, these behaviors and subsequent attempts to cover up instances of harassment will continue.'Hours after Schoen said he would quit on Tuesday, GOP state Rep. Tony Cornish also announced he would resign following several accusations of improper conduct. Cornish apologized for his actions, including a specific apology to a lobbyist who accused him of repeated unwanted attention and trying to force a kiss.Gov. Mark Dayton said Wednesday he hoped the resignations would help clean up a problem of sexual harassment in the Capitol.'These are very important first steps,' Dayton said.Since the allegations surfaced earlier in November, Dayton launched a review of the executive branch's training and reporting procedures for sexual harassment.Schoen still works as a police officer for the Cottage Grove Police Department, which assigned him to administrative duties when allegations against him surfaced earlier this month. Schoen remains on administrative duties and no complaints of misconduct have been reported to the department, city administrator Charlene Stevens said Wednesday, and Rogosheske says he sees no reason for his resignation to affect his employment.Both men will be replaced in special elections. Dayton said he hoped to schedule those in time to fill the seats before the Legislature returns Feb. 20.
  • A 24-year-old Lincoln, Nebraska, woman has been missing for several days following a date with someone she met online, and now police are calling the circumstance surrounding her disappearance “concerning.” >> Read more trending news >> Related: Police make gruesome discovery after teacher bails her boyfriend out of jail and disappears  Lincoln Police Chief Jeff Jeff Bliemeister spoke to local media Tuesday and urged residents to continue looking for Sydney Loofe as the department conducts interviews and pieces together the events that led to her her disappearance, the Lincoln Journal Star reported. Police confirmed that Loofe was last seen in Wilber, 40 miles southwest of Lincoln, on Wed. Nov. 15.. according to the Star. Suspicion grew when she missed work the following day at a Lincoln grocery store where she is a cashier after apparently going out on a date the night before, her parents said. Loofe sent a Snapchat message saying she was “ready for my date” just hours before she disappeared. Her family said she sent the Snapchat message about going on a date with a woman she met online, and that she was definitely “planning on coming home that night.” She also left her cat and car at her home in Lincoln, her family said. >> Related: Killer details brutal murder, final minutes of NY jogger in police video Loffe’s family is circulating a flyer that suggest they fear she was abducted. The flyer indicated that her phone pinged off a cellphone tower in the Wilber area, but that it has since been turned off. Her parents, Susie and George Loofe, find it suspicious that her phone is off, and that her cat and car were left at home. Lincoln police have declined to say if they have spoken to the person Loofe was going out with that night or where in Wilber she might have been. “Really what our focus is on at this point is trying to find Sydney,” the police chief Bliemeister said. “And to go out and to detail every investigative aspect really, I think, is going to detract from the overall message of, ‘We’re trying to find her as quickly as possible.'” Police are asking anyone with information on Loofe’s whereabouts to call 402-441-6000. >> Related: Teen who disappeared with her teacher says it was wrong, but she doesn’t regret it Loofe is 5-foot-7 and weighs 135 pounds. She was last seen wearing a white Columbia jacket and a cream-colored shirt. She has a yin-yang tattoo on one of her forearms, the word “Believe” with a cross on the inside of her left wrist, and the phrase “Everything will be wonderful someday” on her right bicep.