ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
89°
Chance of T-storms
H 91° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    89°
    Current Conditions
    Chance of T-storms. H 91° L 74°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    91°
    Today
    Chance of T-storms. H 91° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    91°
    Tomorrow
    Partly Cloudy. H 91° L 75°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Crime & Law
Chilling details of how FBI rescued N.C. kidnapping victim in Atlanta
Close

Chilling details of how FBI rescued N.C. kidnapping victim in Atlanta

RAW: FBI news conference on elaborate kidnapping plot

Chilling details of how FBI rescued N.C. kidnapping victim in Atlanta

Criminal complaints filed Thursday give a chilling look into the kidnapping of a North Carolina man whose daughter had prosecuted a reputed gang member, how that gang member allegedly orchestrated the abduction from his maximum-security prison cell and how the FBI traced texts and cell phones to find and rescue the victim from a southeast Atlanta apartment.

Saturday morning: Frank Arthur Janssen had returned to his Wake Forest, N.C. home from a bike ride when a "heavy set white female" knocked on his door. "When Janssen opened the door, he was assaulted by several individuals who Tased and subdued him," according to the criminal complaint filed in the U.S. District Court against Michael Montreal Gooden, Tiana Maynard, Clifton James Roberts, Jenna Paulin Martin and Jevante Price, who are jailed in connection with the abduction.

"The individuals then forcefully removed Janssen from his home and placed him into a vehicle," the complaint states, adding that he was brought to Georgia and held against his will at an Atlanta apartment.

Monday, 1:51 a.m.: The victim's wife began to receive a series of text messages that were transmitted from a phone in Georgia, stating that Janssen had been kidnapped.

"The sender of the messages stated, among other things, that Frank Janssen was in the trunk of a car on the way to California, if law enforcement was contacted, 'we will send [Janssen] back to you in 6 boxes and every chance we get we will take someone in your family to Italy and torture them and kill them … we will do drive by and gun down everybody ... and throw a grenade in your window,'" the complaint said, adding that various demands must be satisfied or harm would result to Janssen.

"The sender of the messages made specific demands for the benefit of Kelvin Melton, an inmate at Polk Correctional Institution in Butner, N.C.," according to the complaint. "Melton was previously prosecuted by Frank Janssen's daughter, and at the time of these events, was serving a state sentence of life without parole."

Wednesday, 12:19 a.m.: A second demand text was sent to Janssen's wife's cell phone, from a cell phone that was transmitting from a residence in Atlanta. That text message included a photograph of Janssen tied up and seated in a chair. The sender threatened to start torturing Janssen the following day, said another individual had been kidnapped, and warned, "if we find out the police seen this we kill both people now and go for you family."

The text message came from a cell phone with a 404 area code. Records for that number included a history of 24 texts and calls to or from a cell number transmitting from the Polk Correctional Institute in North Carolina. The user of the phone that was transmitting from the prison had also made 99 calls to Melton's daughter, and Melton's girlfriend identified that number as being Melton's number.

Phone records also showed that Melton's number had made 99 contacts with another cell phone with a 770 area code between Saturday and Wednesday.

Wednesday, 8:20 p.m.: A call was placed between Melton's phone and the phone with a 770 area code. At that time, Janssen had not been located by the FBI. The two male callers made several statements during that call:

- "The first spot we are checking out is close to the house."

- "We want to make sure it's in a secluded area and the ground is soft so we can go 3 feet deep."

- "Get a bag, put it over his head, and stuff something in his mouth."

- "However you feel like doing it, just do it."

- "Make sure to clean the area up. Don't leave any DNA behind."

- "Get some night time medicine and make him go to sleep."

- "Make him drink a whole bottle of Nyquil."

- "Let's do it in the wee hours of the morning."

- "Make sure it is not a half-a--ed job. Get bleach and throw it on the walls. Maybe do it in the closet."

Following that conversation, authorities attempted to enter Melton's prison cell to search for the phone, but he barred the door and smashed the phone, according to the complaint.

At some point during the hunt for Janssen, law enforcement searched a residence on Heyford Court in Austell, "because one of the phones traced to the second threat message was linked to this address."

During that search, "the children of Tiana Maynard were taken into protective custody when it was discovered that their mother was not present," the complaint said.

Wednesday, 11:33 p.m.: A female using the cell phone with the 770 area code contacted another cell phone and stated, "they got my kids."

Thursday, 1:01 a.m.: That same phone with the 770 area code received a call from someone stating, "they just kicked in your door."

The FBI's elite Hostage Rescue Team had already made entry into an apartment at the Forest Cove complex on New Town Circle in southeast Atlanta and freed Janssen at 11:55 p.m. Wednesday. According to the complaint, Price, who agents had encountered earlier in the investigation, led the team to the apartment where Janssen was being held -- just feet from the perimeter fence of the U.S. Penitentiary in Atlanta.

A short time after the recovery of Janssen, Maynard went to a police precinct to collect her children. She arrived in a Chevy Tahoe driven by Roberts. Martin was also in the vehicle.

"Inside the Tahoe, officers observed picks, a shovel and a .45-caliber pistol," the complaint said.

Maynard, Roberts, Martin, Gooden and Price are in custody in Atlanta, said Don Connelly, the spokesman for the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of North Carolina.

All five suspects appeared in front of U.S. Magistrate Judge Gerrilyn Brill on Thursday afternoon. A detention hearing was scheduled for 10:30 a.m. Tuesday to determine if they should be held without bond. The suspects will be tried in North Carolina, authorities said.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

News

  • A woman in Texas who suffered severe facial burns after blowing out a scented candle is sharing her story to warn others. Ashley Brawley told NBC DFW that when she attempted to blow out a vanilla-scented, three-wick candle from Bath & Body Works Sunday, the flames blew up in her face. Brawley suffered first- and second-degree burns to her face, according to her husband's Facebook post. (The post has since been removed.) >> Read more trending stories Cody Brawley removed the burning candle from the house and sprayed it with a hose, which he said caused the candle jar to explode. Cody said his wife is recovering, but she wanted to share her story to warn others that the candles may be defective. Some Facebook commenters took Ashley to task for attempting to blow out the candle, instead of covering it with a lid or using a candle snuffer. She said the flames were approximately six inches high, so placing a lid on it would have been difficult. Other people questioned if she let the candle burn too long, but she said the candle was burning for a little over three hours, and the candle instructions say to burn the candle no longer than four hours. NBC DFW found several reports of similar incidents with three-wick candles on SaferProducts.gov, the government's safety product website, including one incident report that said the candle's flames soared nearly a foot high. Bath & Body Works said in a statement that the company is looking into Ashley's complaint, but that all of its candle products go through extensive safety testing and meet all government standards.
  • A 66-year-old woman hit by a police car while she was out for a run Tuesday morning has died. Family members confirmed to Channel 2's Liz Artz that Janet Pickney died Tuesday night. Family confirms Janet Pickney passed away Tuesday night after being struck by a police cruiser. Friends say she was an amazing woman @wsbtv pic.twitter.com/hgD7v10PiS-- Liz Artz (@LizArtzWSB) July 26, 2017 Pickney's friends described her as a foster mom, active in her church and a retired school teacher. They said she ran races, often times placing first in her age group. Pickney was running in the crosswalk across Brown Road at the intersection with Chamblee Tucker Road around 7:30 a.m., when she was hit by Officer Ian MacGowan, who was responding to a tree down call. The officer then crashed into a house. 'A vehicle made a left turn in front of the officer, the officer took an evasive maneuver to avoid that vehicle and struck a pedestrian in the crosswalk,' said DeKalb County police Chief James Conroy. We're talking with the other driver involved in the deadly crash, on Channel 2 Action News starting at 4. TRENDING STORIES: State didn't know about camp operations where child drowned Busy McDonald's fails health inspection President Trump: Transgender people won't be allowed in the military Longtime friends of Pickney said she was an amazing, spunky woman 'She was very caring, very good heart and very dedicated to anything she did,' said friend Dodie Doss. 'She is going to be dearly missed right here in the neighborhood,' said neighbor Eric McCaskill. McCaskill said his gym is sponsoring a race that will now be in Pickney's honor. The crash is still under investigation.
  • In a series of tweets Wednesday, President Donald Trump said transgender people will be barred from serving in the U.S. military “in any capacity.” » RELATED: Trump: Transgender people won't be allowed in the military  “Our military must be focused on decisive and overwhelming victory and cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail,” he wrote. In 2015, the National Center for Transgender Equality estimated 15,000 trans people served in the U.S. military. >> Read more trending news The Pentagon ended the ban on transgender people in the military last year, placing the United States in the company of at least 18 other countries that allow trans people to serve in their militaries, according to a 2014 report from the Hague Centre for Strategic Studies. » RELATED: QUIZ: How well do you know transgender Americans?  Researchers behind the “LGBT Military Personnel: a Strategic Vision for Inclusion” report analyzed policies regarding LGBT inclusion in more than 100 countries and ranked them based on four principles: admission, tolerance, exclusion and persecution — each determined by a total of 19 different indicators, including transgender personnel. Here are 18 countries that allow trans military personnel, according to the Hague Centre for Strategic Studies report: Australia Austria Belgium Bolivia Canada Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland France Germany Israel Netherlands New Zealand Norway Spain Sweden United Kingdom » RELATED: Trump breaks tradition, doesn't recognize LGBT Pride Month But even in those countries that researchers found inclusive to trans military members, several have set specific policies regarding trans personnel. For example, in the United Kingdom, trans individuals should have finished transitioning before they serve. It’s similar in Belgium, where policies state a person must undergo surgery and sterilization for the military to recognize their identified gender. Australia’s Air Force, on the other hand, offers assistance in transitioning. Read the full report from the Hague Centre for Strategic Studies.
  • A local hospital is now refusing to accept a Christian-based medical plan that covered more than 200 patients in the past year. One of those patients told consumer investigator Jim Strickland she got the news in the middle of her cancer treatment. The hospital told her she needed to pay cash before she left the doctor's office. Laura Alley, a 39-year-old runner, discovered a lump on her neck months after giving birth to her fifth child. 'You know, first thing I start to think about is, 'What am I going do without my wife?'' Laura's husband Nick Alley said. Nick said paying for her treatment was not on his mind because they thought they were covered. Then came a phone call from the finance office, in the middle of chemo. 'I'm sitting there, with a needle in my arm, receiving chemotherapy in my arm, and they are telling us that we are not going to be able to leave, until we pay them $41,000,' Laura said. RECENT INVESTIGATIONS: Researchers using sunlight to filter greenhouse gases from the air City officials' business class trip to South Africa cost $90K, records show Private drug dogs allow parents to search children's rooms The Alleys have Medi-Share, a medical co-op which satisfies the Obamacare mandate for health coverage. Members pay in and share each other's medical expenses. It's not insurance, but does use an insurance network called Private Healthcare Systems to negotiate rates. The Alleys said they made sure Medi-Share was accepted before Laura began treatment at Georgia Cancer Specialists, run by Northside Hospital. 'I sat in front of them, in front of their computers, and handed them my card three or four times, and no problems whatsoever,' Laura said. A spokesperson for Northside Hospital told Channel 2 by email in part: 'We have a contract with PHCS. We have never had a contract with Medi-Share. Because we thought Mrs. Alley was part of the PHCS plan (PHCS did not tell us otherwise), we billed PHCS for her care. PHCS gave her bills to Medi-Share, who underpaid on our contracted rates with PHCS. 'When we contacted PHCS about the underpayment, they alerted us that the patient did not have insurance with PHCS, but rather was a Medi-Share member. 'We have never said that we accept Medi-Share. Our contract was with PHCS. Once we realized this confusion, we corrected Mrs. Alley's account. Because she does not have insurance, she is considered a self-pay patient. We have provided her with multiple options to reduce and satisfy the remaining balance on her account. 'We did not tell the patient that she was 'pre-certified.' When our staff called PHCS to ask if pre-authorization was needed, they told us that it was not.' Why Alley says this statement doesn't tell the whole story, and what experts say you need to know about this type of healthcare coverage, Wednesday on Channel 2 Action News at 5 p.m.
  • Passengers traveling through America’s airports will have to separate large electronics from their carry-on baggage under new screening procedures announced Wednesday by the Transportation Security Administration. >> Read more trending  Travelers will be required to remove electronics that are larger than a cellphone from carry-on baggage so the electronics can undergo X-ray screening in an effort aimed at upgrading the nation’s aviation security, officials said. The change does not apply to passengers who are part of the TSA Precheck program. “It is critical for (the) TSA to constantly enhance and adjust security screening procedures to stay ahead of evolving threats and keep passengers safe,” acting TSA administrator Huban Gowadia said in a news release. “By separating personal electronic items such as laptops, tablets, e-readers and handheld game consoles for screening, TSA officers can more closely focus on resolving alarms and stopping terror threats.” The security change was announced after it was tested in 10 airports, including Boston’s Logan International Airport, Florida’s Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport and Puerto Rico's Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport. The measure will be rolled out to the rest of the nation’s airfields in the coming months. Officials said the strengthened screening policy might lead to additional baggage checks for passengers, but the TSA said it has found ways to speed the process up through “more targeted measures.” The change does not affect what can be brought through a checkpoint. Wednesday’s announcement came weeks after Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly said flights coming into the United States would be required to conduct enhanced screening of electronic devices and passengers. Officials announced in March that large personal electronic devices had been restricted at 10 airports in Africa and the Middle East due to security concerns. The restrictions have since been lifted.
  • House Majority Whip Steve Scalise — who was critically wounded in a shooting at a baseball practice last month — has been discharged from a Washington hospital. MedStar Washington Hospital Center says the six-term Louisiana Republican was released from the hospital on Tuesday and is beginning 'intensive inpatient rehabilitation.' It isn't identifying the facility. The hospital says in a statement that Scalise (skuh-LEES') was in good spirits and looking forward to returning to work once he completes his rehabilitation. Scalise and four other people were injured June 14 when a man opened fire on a Republican baseball practice in nearby Alexandria, Virginia. The 51-year-old congressman was struck in the hip, and the bullet tore into blood vessels, bones and internal organs. He has has several surgeries.