ATLANTA - Metro Atlanta could see some snow flakes this weekend! But before you go rushing out for milk and canned goods, it should be noted that the odds are only 2 in 10, a 20% chance of drizzle or flurries.
The cold air that moved into the metro area for the weekend will keep the highs no better than the low to mid 40’s for Saturday and near 50 Sunday with lows in the 20's. Some precipitation is possible, but WSB meteorologist Kirk Mellish says that precipitation will probably be nothing more than a few spotty light rain showers, drizzle or possibly some flurries. "People forget to focus on the numbers, those probabilites are there for a reason. A 20% chance something will happen-- do the math-- is an 80% chance it will not. 100-20% = 80. And as I've been saying all along if you do see snow flurries in Metro Atlanta it wont last or accumulate so it wont matter, most of the day will be dry with some sunshine" says Mellish. He says the best chance of snow will be north and east of Gwinnett and Rockdale Counties.
As for snowmen and school closings, Atlanta will have to wait for another chance at another time. Instead today it's best to bundle up against the cold winds of winter. Kirk says it will warm up to the upper 50s with sun for Monday.