ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
60°
Clear
H 65° L 46°
  • cloudy-day
    60°
    Current Conditions
    Clear. H 65° L 46°
  • clear-day
    65°
    Today
    Clear. H 65° L 46°
  • cloudy-day
    69°
    Tomorrow
    Partly Cloudy. H 69° L 42°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Child dies in car, father’s story not adding up to investigators

Child dies in car, father’s story not adding up to investigators
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

News

  • Two children were killed in an accident involving a police SUV in Los Angeles on Thursday night. The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department vehicle was rushing to the scene of a gunshot victim at 7:25 p.m. PT when it struck five pedestrians in the Boyle Heights section of the city, according to police. In addition to the two killed, three other pedestrians were injured, and two sheriff's deputies in the vehicle were taken to the hospital, according to authorities. The deputies were treated and released Thursday night. The extent of the injuries to the other three pedestrians was unknown.  TRENDING STORIES: Judge grabs flagpole to defend himself as suspect tries to escape courtroom Lawsuit: Sun Dial restaurant ‘had no protections’ to stop 5-year-old’s death $500K worth of items stolen from jewelers' car after convention  Police did not provide the ages of those killed, but said both were minors. 'I was inside in my home and I heard the crash. Within seconds, I was outside and just a few feet from the incident,' eyewitness Paulette de la Cruz told Los Angeles ABC station KABC. 'When I got there I saw a little boy with a white blanket over him. Another one across, I'm not sure if he was conscious or not, but it didn't look like he was.' There were two other vehicles involved in the accident, but no one in the cars were injured. Police said an investigation into the accident was ongoing.  
  • A Georgia seventh-grader had quite the statement planned for his field trip to CNN, but his school ruined it all. >> Read more trending news Jaxon Jester, son of elected local officials Nancy and Stan Jester, donned a shirt that mocked CNN’s logo as “FNN,” standing for “Fake News Network,” on the morning of his school’s trip to visit the network’s Atlanta headquarters. However, a teacher at his school asked him to remove the shirt before the trip even began and now his parents are livid, saying the school violated his First Amendment right to free speech. “This year when the CNN tour was announced, my seventh grade son Jaxon asked me if he could purchase an FNN-Fake News Network shirt to wear for his field trip. As an advocate for the First Amendment, I agreed to his request,” Stan Jester wrote in a blog post about the incident. “His mother cautioned him that he might cause a controversy and needed to be prepared for that. He was fully aware of the implications of his decision and made the affirmative choice to wear his shirt.” The parents reportedly received a phone call from the school’s principal on the morning of the trip, notifying them that their son had been instructed to change his shirt. The Jesters were “disappointed by the hypocrisy” in the school’s decision. “Some students are celebrated when they make a controversial display during the National Anthem,” the boy’s father continued, pointing out that the school previously issued a statement in defense of students who kneeled for the national anthem on the basis of the First Amendment. “My student was forced to remove his shirt because someone didn’t like it. I defend speech and expression, even if I disagree, or it makes me uncomfortable.” In the comments section, Nancy Jester gave readers an update on what happened after the field trip: “After the class was back from the field trip, the principal and the teacher involved called me. The teacher involved said that she told Jax to change his shirt because she thought his shirt said ‘F-CNN.’ I told her that it absolutely did NOT say that. She apologized and said that she now realizes that the shirt has no profanity or suggestion of profanity on it. The principal stated that he should have been made aware of the situation before Jax was made to change his shirt. He apologized for the incident. We discussed how the shirt could have provided valuable learning opportunities if Jax and his fellow students could have explored how we get news and how we process it. The teacher agreed. “Once home Jax described the situation a little differently. He stated that after he boarded the bus for the trip, the teacher came onto his bus and called his name to come forward. He did so. He felt that he was spoken to in a harsh tone and told he must change. He was respectful and complied. He was very upset but kept that to himself.” While the Jesters are displeased with their son’s school’s decision, others have argued that it wasn’t appropriate for the county commissioner and school board member to send their child off to school wearing the shirt in the first place.
  • A New Jersey man was stabbed to death in his home Tuesday night when he tried to defend his 8-year-old son from a group of teens trying to steal the boy’s sneakers, according to family. Jose “Migue” Malave, 30, of Jersey City, was stabbed around 7 p.m. at his home, according to the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office. He was pronounced dead about 25 minutes later at the scene.  A 17-year-old boy was arrested at the scene and charged as a juvenile, prosecutors said. The unidentified teen is charged with murder, felony murder, armed burglary, conspiracy and multiple weapons charges.  A second suspect, Nasiar Day, 19, of Newark, was taken into custody Thursday, NJ.com reported. Day is also charged with murder, felony murder, armed burglary, weapons charges and conspiracy.  NJ.com reported that Malave died in front of his girlfriend and four of his 11 children. Malave had just returned home to drop off his son before heading to his construction job.  Responding police officers found him lying in a “lifeless state” in the doorway of the family’s apartment, prosecutors said.  Malave’s 8-year-old son had reportedly been targeted earlier in the day by a group of teens who tried to steal his sneakers. The teens later went to the boy’s home because they assumed he had other nice belongings, Jose Malave’s sister, Yesenia Malave, told NJ.com. >> Read more trending news Yesenia Malave described her brother as a man who always tried to brighten people’s days. “He was always outgoing, always happy, always trying to help people,” she said. “You could be down and he was the one who could bring your life up.” In a Facebook post on Thursday, the grieving sister said she could not adequately express her grief.  “I wish I would have one more day with my little brother to tell him I love him,” Yesenia Malave wrote. “I miss his 3 a.m. call; (who’s) going to call me now?” Friends and family members have established crowdfunding pages to help the Malave family with funeral arrangements and to help financially support Jose Malave’s children. Petitions have also been established to urge prosecutors to charge both suspects as adults in the slaying.
  • The DNA you send in the mail through genetics kits and genealogy programs like 23andMe and Ancestry  can be used by police in a criminal investigation, but it doesn’t happen very often. » RELATED: 7 things you need to know before you send your spit to 23andMe More than 1.2 million customers have sent their saliva to 23andMe to learn about their own genetics, though not everyone is aware that police can potentially have access to their DNA. >> Read more trending news “We try to make information available on the website in various forms, so through Frequently Asked Questions, through information in our privacy center,” 23andMe privacy officer Kate Black told Action News Jax Thursday. » RELATED: Bill would allow companies to collect employee genetics information  Police have only requested information from 23andMe for five Americans and, according to 23andMe reports, the company didn’t turn over any information. “In each of these cases, 23andMe successfully resisted the request and protected our customers’ data from release to law enforcement,” Black and colleague Zerina Curevac wrote in a blog post last year. But Black said she wouldn’t rule out the possibility in the future and seeks to review requests on “a case-by-case basis.” » RELATED: Not ready for kids? New, affordable at-home fertility test gives women better data on eggs, fertility timeline In the 23andMe blog post, Black and Curevac address multiple privacy concerns and questions involving law enforcement and their DNA. They write that typically police will collect the DNA of an unknown suspect at a crime scene and compare it to the federal government’s genetic information database, the Combined DNA Index System or “CODIS.” » RELATED: DNA may determine whether you're an early or late riser Using CODIS, police can run a search to see if the DNA matches that of a convicted offender or arrestee profile in the database. They can also run a “familial search” to identify close biological relatives. If no matches are found, police may turn to privately owned databases. But 23andMe and other ancestry tools aren’t likely to be useful to law enforcement agencies or to the government, Black and Curevac wrote. Their genetic tests can’t be used to match CODIS information or information in other governmental databases because the genotyping technology is very different. » RELATED: DNA match ties man to nearly 30-year-old rape case And even if police are presented with a situation in which the testing would be useful, they would still face tough legal and technical limitations. These limitations are usually enough to persuade police to back off their requests, according to the blog. 23andMe posts law enforcement requests on its public Transparency Report. While police have been unable to obtain DNA information from 23andMe, in 2014, Ancestry self-reported that it released a customer’s DNA sample to police in compliance with a search warrant. » RELATED: Ancestry.com search nabs ID thief, police say According to Ancestry’s website, the company “requires valid legal process in order to produce information about our users. We comply with legitimate requests in accordance with applicable law.” The investigation involved the 1996 murder and rape of 18-year-old Angie Dodge in Idaho Falls, Idaho, Mashable reported. Police believed there was another person involved in addition to Christopher Tapp, who was sentenced to life in prison in 1998. The 2014 Ancestry results found a close (but not exact) match, which police believed to be Tapp’s relative. After showing up at donor Michael Usry Jr.’s doorstep in New Orleans for a six-hour interrogation and taking a blood sample, police determined it wasn’t a match, Mashable reported. Ancestry’s Transparency Report states that the company received nine valid law enforcement requests in 2016 and provided information on eight of the requests to government agencies. All were related to credit card misuse and identity theft. » RELATED: Ancestry finds, interviews descendants of the Founding Fathers
  • A Gwinnett County family is trying to make sense of the murder of their husband and father outside their home in a Buford subdivision overnight Thursday. The victim, identified as 43-year-old George Young, was shot dead right outside his own front door. He had just come home from working a security job and his keys were still in the front door when he was shot twice. “I heard two loud gunshots,” says his wife Tia. “At first, I thought it was gunshots, but I wasn’t sure what it was. I wasn’t sure if it was firecrackers.” Her brother, who was asleep on the couch, heard it too. He opened the door to find Young lying on the front porch. “I never heard a car speed off. My brother didn’t either,” says Tia. Gwinnett Police detectives told the woman it does not appear to have been a robbery. “We don’t know where the gunshots came from--whether they came from the porch or came from the street. But our ultimate motive, right now, is to figure out what other people heard,” says Cpl. Michele Pihera. She is asking anyone with information to come forward to police. Tia and her husband had been married close to 23 years and she wonders how she will continue alone raising their three sons. “I lost my dad a few years back to suicide, and I didn’t think it could any worse. But losing a spouse like this, I think it tops that,” she says.
  • If you're looking for a shooting star so you can make your wish come true, this weekend may just be your lucky opportunity. The Leonid meteor shower will peak this weekend, providing ideal viewing conditions for millions across the United States. With clear skies predicted by meteorologists in many parts of the country, even amateur stargazers should be able to catch a glimpse of the cosmic spectacle. >> Read more trending news Experts say 10 to 25 shooting stars will be visible per hour in areas with clear skies this Friday evening and Saturday morning, according to the Smithsonian. Even for the unlucky, such a high number gives anyone decent odds of sighting one of the meteors. For those hoping to view the shower this weekend, here's everything you need to know: What is the Leonid meteor shower? The Leonid meteors are connected to the comet Tempel-Tuttle, according to David Samuhel, senior meteorologist and astronomy blogger at AccuWeather. 'It makes fairly frequent passes through the inner solar system,' he said. 'This lays out fresh debris in the path of the Earth's orbit every 33 years.' The Earth actually passes through the debris of the comet, making the falling particles visible as they burn up in the atmosphere. Thanks to clear skies and the absence of moonlight, this year's display should give stargazers a decent show. Where will the meteor shower be most visible? First of all, stargazers should get as far away from city lights as possible to avoid light pollution. There's no specific spot in the sky to look. But the shooting stars get their name from the Leo constellation, as their paths in the sky can be traced back to those stars. Peak time for viewing is from 2 a.m. to 4 a.m. ET Saturday. People living throughout the Southeast, the Northern Plains and California are in luck, as meteorologists are predicting clear skies, ideal for viewing the shower. Those who reside in the Northeast, the Great Lakes region, the central Plains or the Pacific Northwest, however, may have to travel to other areas if they want to spot a falling star. 'A large storm system will be moving from the Plains into the Great Lakes, and cloudy skies are forecast to dominate much of the eastern half of the nation,' meteorologist Kyle Elliot said, according to Accuweather. 'Rain and thunderstorms will put an even bigger damper on viewing conditions in many of these areas.' The shower will actually be most visible, with the highest rates of visible meteors, in East Asia. How intense can a Leonid shower get? While this weekend's display is sure to impress, it's actually considered a light meteor shower, as opposed to a meteor storm. The last Leonid meteor storm took place in 2002. During storms, thousands of meteors can be spotted in an hour. In 1833, stargazers reported as many as 72,000 shooting stars per hour, according to National Geographic. In 1966, a group of hunters reported seeing 40 to 50 streaks per second over the duration of 15 minutes. Scientists currently predict the next major outburst won't take place until 2099. But calculations suggest the comet will be returning closer to Earth in 2031 and 2064, meaning more intense storms may be seen sooner. Smaller showers, such as the one occurring this weekend, happen on a regular basis. So, while you may get another shot at seeing Leonid's shooting stars, this weekend promises to be a great chance for many.