ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
56°
Mostly Cloudy
H 61° L 45°
  • cloudy-day
    56°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Cloudy. H 61° L 45°
  • cloudy-day
    61°
    Today
    Mostly Cloudy. H 61° L 45°
  • cloudy-day
    61°
    Tomorrow
    Partly Cloudy. H 61° L 41°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Breaking News
DeKalb County school board sues to avoid suspension, eliciting outrage from parents and employees
Close

DeKalb County school board sues to avoid suspension, eliciting outrage from parents and employees

Richard Belcher reports

DeKalb County school board sues to avoid suspension, eliciting outrage from parents and employees

The DeKalb County school district filed a lawsuit Tuesday in a last-ditch effort to derail a process that could unseat all nine members of the school board.

The action, filed in Fulton County Superior Court by an attorney paid with taxpayer funds, elicited outrage from parents and other observers. The suit seeks a temporary restraining order to prevent a hearing by the Georgia Board of Education on Thursday.

The state board could recommend suspension of the DeKalb board, giving Gov. Nathan Deal authority to remove the DeKalb members under the provisions of a 2011 law.

DeKalb’s suit, filed by the district and outgoing school board chairman Eugene Walker, claims the law is unconstitutional because it authorizes removal of local elected officials “without any individualized finding of misconduct.” The law allows the state to unseat board members who preside over districts that an accrediting agency has placed on probation, as happened in DeKalb last year.

Walker did not return a call for comment, and interim DeKalb superintendent Michael Thurmond had no comment about the suit. “This was a board decision,” Thurmond said, referring questions to Walker. Walker announced Monday that he would step aside as chairman and remain on the board.

Deal said litigation may only prolong the pain in DeKalb, Georgia’s third largest school district with nearly 100,000 students.

“The longer this is drawn out, the more protracted it becomes and the more the story becomes one that concerns people everywhere,” Deal said.

The state’s case against the DeKalb board is based on a December report by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, which accused the local board of financial mismanagement, nepotism and other failures of oversight while academic performance languished. The SACS report was based largely on anonymous sources whose claims cannot be independently corroborated. The agency threatened to strip the district of accreditation altogether if the school board fails to address the concerns, and the state is treating the report as evidence.

The lawsuit was filed by Decatur attorney Robert Wilson. He had no comment about the case after arriving at the courthouse Tuesday afternoon to get a court date.

As of the close of business, Judge Kelly Amanda Lee had not scheduled one. It’s unclear if she’ll do so prior to the state board hearing.

Department of Education spokesman Matt Cardoza said the state school board will meet with DeKalb as scheduled at 8 a.m. Thursday, “until we hear otherwise.”

A similar lawsuit filed by a majority of the school board members in Sumter County halted a similar state hearing. Board member Kevin Pless and other unnamed members sued in Fulton Superior Court in November. Judge Bensonetta Tipton Lane granted a temporary injunction, ordering the state board not to convene the hearing. The Sumter lawsuit was transferred to Judge Shawn Ellen Lagrua, and no court date is set.

State Sen. Fran Millar, R-Dunwoody, noted that one of SACS’ concerns about DeKalb was excessive legal expenses in a system that ran a $16 million deficit last year. He judged this latest move a “selfish” effort to cling to power.

“I would like to know who voted in favor of this motion because obviously it’s all about them and not about 100,000 children,” said Millar, the former chairman of the Senate education committee. “All this delay does is increase the likelihood of loss of accreditation,” Millar said. “How selfish can people be?”

If there was a public vote, it didn’t occur in public Monday — the most recent open meeting of the DeKalb board. During that meeting, the board voted to go into a private session to discuss an undisclosed legal matter. Thurmond, the former state labor commissioner who has been interim superintendent since early this month, said he knew of no public vote on the suit.

Bill Armstrong, a father of three children in DeKalb schools, called the lawsuit “an outrageous evasion” of the school board’s duty.

“I don’t understand why they all don’t resign,” said Armstrong, of Chamblee. “They are clearly trying to save their jobs instead of the school system.”

Teachers advocate Dave Schutten predicted employee anger over the legal costs. The president of the Organization of DeKalb Educators said teachers haven’t seen pay raises in about half a decade.

“This is crazy,” Schutten said. “People are going to be outraged.”

The DeKalb board voted to hire Wilson and his firm Wilson, Morton & Downs earlier this month. Wilson’s mandate: deal with the state board of education hearing “and/or related proceedings or actions.”

Wilson has a history of public work. He is a former DeKalb district attorney. After leaving office, he helped lead a state investigation that alleged widespread test cheating in Atlanta Public Schools. State taxpayers paid millions for that work. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported in 2011 that Wilson and another lawyer —former Georgia Attorney General Mike Bowers — billed $2.2 million for about a dozen lawyers on the case for about a year. They all billed at $160 an hour, Bowers said at the time, far below his normal rate of $630 an hour.

Wilson and his associates are to be paid $250 an hour in DeKalb — for a time period that is not limited by the contract. It’s unclear how much the case has cost so far. The district responded earlier this month to an open-records request by the AJC seeking Wilson’s invoices by saying none had been filed.

Allegra Johnson, a mother of three in Dunwoody, said the lawsuit is another diversion of scarce funds from the classroom.

Teacher cutbacks have led to bigger class sizes. Her kindergartner shares a room with 25 other students, and the teacher has no help, other than parent volunteers.

“What will it take to stop this board of education from spending the money that should be spent on children,” Johnson said. “All the money that should be spent on children is being spent on this board.”

Read More

News

  • Investigators have released photos and surveillance video in hopes of identifying the gunmen who killed a restaurant manager during a robbery this weekend. According to police, three men entered Barcelona Wine Bar on Howell Mill Road in the West Midtown neighborhood as it was closing around 1:45 a.m. Sunday, and tied up the employees with electrical tape.  The men then forced the manager, 29-year-old Chelsea Beller , upstairs to open up the safe. That’s when they shot her. Beller later died at Grady Memorial Hospital.  'I think it's important for us all to acknowledge that this isn't Atlanta. This isn't the Wild Wild West,' Beller's friend Tyler Walters said.  @Atlanta_Police just released this dramatic surveillance from inside Barcelona wine bar of Sunday’s deadly robbery. https://t.co/YHueSecqL7 Police need your help. $7k reward for info. @wsbtv pic.twitter.com/QJG5xHIZMv — Aaron Diamant (@AaronDiamantWSB) November 20, 2017 As Channel 2’s Carl Willis went through the new video, he saw Atlanta police back at the scene looking for evidence in the shooting. Beller's friends say the 29-year-old considered co-workers and restaurant regulars her family. TRENDING STORIES: Police release dramatic video, photos of gunmen who killed restaurant manager Out with a bang: Georgia Dome comes down in Atlanta Grandmother says Facebook Live saved her life: 'I could have died' 'She was the salt of the earth. She was the type of person that had a genuine sense of caring,' Walters said. “She loved coming to work. She loved what she did. It was just a place that she felt happy and she enjoyed what she did.' Investigators are hoping that even though the suspects' faces are masked, that someone might have an idea who they are, and bring a little peace to those grieving over Beller’s loss.  “Money is money, but killing young ladies who are in the prime of their lives, that's not who Atlanta is,' Walter told Willis.  A reward of up to $7,000 is being offered for information leading to an arrest and indictment. The Atlanta Police Department released a statement about the incident, saying:  “No crime against our citizens, anywhere in the city, is acceptable. But the robbery and murder of an innocent restaurant manager doing her job is a terrible crime that has shocked even the most jaded among us here at APD,' the department said in a statement Monday. 'We have made fighting violent crime our priority, and this incident underscores that our work is never done. Our investigators are working diligently to find those responsible for this crime. We will continue to focus our efforts on identifying and apprehending violent repeat offenders who prey on innocent people. These crimes are unacceptable, and we will not rest in our pursuit of shutting down these violent criminals.” Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to contact police through Crime Stoppers Atlanta . Their phone number is 404-577-8477 and you can remain anonymous.
  • Channel 2 Action News has learned that an armed man who authorities said escaped an Alabama jail may now be in metro Atlanta. Shane Anthony Vernon escaped the Coosa County Jail Sunday, local authorities said.   On Tuesday, U.S. Marshals told Channel 2 Investigative Reporter Nicole Carr that Vernon kidnapped a man from Alabama and dropped him and the car off in Douglasville. Vernon was nowhere to be found. TRENDING STORIES: Ex-Braves GM banned for life by MLB; Atlanta loses prospects 60+ people fall ill after company Thanksgiving party Jailhouse phone calls reveal aftermath of deadly heroin-fueled crash Vernon is considered armed and dangerous. Coosa County Sheriff Terry Wilson explained the timeline to Carr Tuesday afternoon. He told Carr on Oct. 30, Vernon got out of handcuffs during booking for another home invasion. 'He pulled out his restraints and ran out the jail,' Wilson told Carr by phone. Out of the jail and into the woods we're told he went. He was captured almost immediately. But on Sunday, things changed. 'He was allowed to use one of the inmate telephones in the jail. And a corrections officer did not properly secure the door,' Wilson explained. It was an officer's actions that led to a second escape and now an internal investigation. 'He was able to climb through the ceiling and go over four other secured doors to get to the other side and went out the door again.' A map takes on Vernon's crime spree after his jail ceiling escape. There were residents tied up and robbed on Sunday. On Monday, a family including a 2-year-old child, were tied up as Vernon continued to steal cars, guns and a bike. Finally on Monday night, as he tried to hide a stolen van, he forced an Elmore County man into a car and drove him to metro Atlanta. That's where the man somehow escaped Vernon Tuesday morning and made it to the Douglasville Police Department while Vernon took off to parts unknown. 'It's a tragedy all the way around. I just hope that we can get him picked up before he hurts somebody,' Wilson said. The sheriff said they'll be processing the stolen car and have a better idea of how this happened by tomorrow morning.   CONFIRMED w/Alabama Sheriff: This is the second time in three weeks that Shane Vernon has escaped the Coosa Co. jail. Sunday’s escape was through ceiling tile exit. Now may be in Metro ATL armed, dangerous, authorities say @wsbtv pic.twitter.com/H3VJbpY74B — Nicole Carr (@NicoleCarrWSB) November 21, 2017
  • A sports doctor accused of molesting several girls while working for USA Gymnastics and Michigan State University will plead guilty to multiple charges of sexual assault and face at least 25 years in prison, a person with knowledge of the agreement said.The person was not authorized to publicly discuss the agreement ahead of a Wednesday court hearing for Dr. Larry Nassar in Michigan's Ingham County and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.Nassar, 54, is charged with molesting seven girls, all but one of whom were gymnasts, mostly under the guise of treatment at his Lansing-area home and a campus clinic. He's facing similar charges in a neighboring county and lawsuits filed by more than 125 women and girls.Olympic gymnasts Aly Raisman, McKayla Maroney and Gabby Douglas are among the women who have publicly said they were among Nassar's victims.The plea deal in Ingham County calls for a minimum prison sentence of 25 years, but a judge could set the minimum sentence as high as 40 years. In Michigan, inmates are eligible for parole after serving a minimum sentence.The girls have testified that Nassar molested them with his hands, sometimes when a parent was present in the room, while they sought help for gymnastics injuries.'He convinced these girls that this was some type of legitimate treatment,' Assistant Attorney General Angela Poviliatis told a judge last summer. 'Why would they question him? Why would they question this gymnastics god?'Separately, Nassar is charged with similar crimes in Eaton County, the location of an elite gymnastics club. He also is awaiting sentencing in federal court on child pornography charges.
  • A condemned killer whose poor veins led Ohio to halt his execution has appealed a judge's decision upholding the state's lethal injection system.Death row inmate Alva Campbell argues that Ohio's process raises an unconstitutional risk of serious harm because the first of three drugs may not render inmates completely unconscious.Lawyers for Campbell and fellow death row inmate Raymond Tibbetts announced the appeal to the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Tuesday.Federal Judge Michael Merz rejected the inmates' arguments earlier this month.Ohio prisons director Gary Mohr stopped Campbell's execution Nov. 15 after executioners said they couldn't find usable veins.Campbell has a new execution date in June 2019.Tibbetts is scheduled to die Feb. 13 for fatally stabbing a Cincinnati man in 1997.
  • A year of events marking the 100th anniversary of President John F. Kennedy's birth is drawing to a close exactly 54 years after his assassination.National park rangers will lay a wreath outside Kennedy's childhood home in Brookline, Massachusetts, and a 21-gun salute by an honor guard will follow.Wednesday's solemn commemorations fall on the anniversary of Kennedy's assassination in Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963.The observances are being held at what is now known as the John Fitzgerald Kennedy National Historic Site administered by the National Park Service.The nation's 35th president was born in the leafy Boston suburb on May 29, 1917. Over the past year, numerous conferences and other events have been held worldwide to examine JFK's legacy and imagine his impact had he survived.
  • Police are searching for at least two people they say are robbing delivery trucks and getting away with packages in Atlanta. >> Read more trending news Police said the thieves watch for UPS trucks to leave distribution centers, then carjack them and steal the packages. “It’s like they took the script right off of a movie and that’s why it’s important that we get these guys off the street,” Atlanta police Detective Benjamin King said. A surveillance photo shows a possible suspect who police say may have been part of a carjacking and armed robbery of a UPS driver earlier this month. The driver had just pulled off from a distribution center on Fulton Industrial Boulevard on Oct. 30 around 10 a.m. As the UPS driver pulled up to the intersection of Fulton Industrial and Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway, someone opened his passenger door. “He said he saw his passenger door slide open and he saw a black male brandish a weapon, then jump inside of his UPS vehicle,” King said. Police said the robber forced the driver to take him to an abandoned apartment complex near Hyacinth Avenue. Investigators said there was an empty U-Haul truck there waiting. “At that point in time they had the UPS driver lay to the ground where they pointed a weapon to the back of his head, then they started to unload the stuff from the UPS truck to the U-Haul truck,” King said. As police were investigating that case, a group of people did the same thing in the same area to a different UPS driver Tuesday morning. “It’s very similar and we are actually looking into it right now,” King said. No drivers were injured in the robberies.  If you recognize the man in the photo, call Crime Stoppers at 404-577-8477.