cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
H 83° L 66°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    Current Conditions
    T-storms. H 83° L 66°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day Created with Sketch.
    T-storms. H 83° L 66°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    Partly Cloudy. H 83° L 67°

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00


Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Breaking News
Alleged gunman’s name released; McNair students reunited with parents

Alleged gunman’s name released; McNair students reunited with parents

DeKalb police chief speaks on McNair shooting

Alleged gunman’s name released; McNair students reunited with parents

Whatever an armed man planned to do when he walked into a DeKalb County elementary school, it wasn’t good. He slipped into a school Tuesday afternoon, creating a nightmare for hundreds in the community.

The alleged gunman, identified Tuesday night as 20-year-old Michael Brandon Hill, was quickly taken into custody at Ronald E. McNair Discovery Learning Academy, near Decatur, according to police. The suspect, armed with an AK-47, barricaded himself in the front office before he fired shots at officers, who then returned fire, DeKalb County police Chief Cedric Alexander said Tuesday afternoon.

No one was injured. But the hours-long ordeal was nothing short of a nightmare for parents and frightening for hundreds of students, in their second week of a new school year.

The school bookkeeper, Antoinette Tuff, found herself alone with the alleged gunman, who instructed her to call one of the news stations. She called Channel 2 Action News.

Tuff told Channel 2 in an exclusive interview Tuesday night that “I just started praying for him. I just started talking to him and allowing him to know some of my stories and let him know what was going on with me and that it would be OK. And then let him know that he could just give himself up.”

Tuff said she spent almost an hour with the suspect throughout the ordeal and asked him to put the weapon down.

“He had me actually get on the intercom and tell everybody he was sorry, too,” Tuff told Channel 2. “But I told them, he was sorry, but do not come out of their rooms.”

Hill put down his weapon and surrendered without further incident. But by then, multiple shots had been fired, according to police.

Hill apparently slipped into the school behind someone who had access to the building, police said. He was charged with aggravated assault on a police officer, terroristic threats and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, police said.

Both GBI and FBI agents were dispatched to the area to assist numerous other law enforcement agencies, Alexander said.

Shortly after 6 p.m., officers surrounded a home near the school, but it wasn’t immediately known whose home it was. A car belonging to the suspect also was extensively searched, police said. Investigators planned to work through the night to piece together what may have led the suspect to cause the scare at the school, located in the 2100 block of 2nd Avenue.

About 800 students from pre-k through fifth grade attend the school, which employs nearly 70 teachers and staff members, according to the Georgia Department of Education.

GBI Director Vernon Keenan echoed the thoughts of many, saying how relieved he was that no one had been injured.

“It takes a lot of resources to handle something like this,” Keenan said. “We were dern lucky we didn’t have anyone killed in the school.”

But the logistics required to evacuate the school, transport hundreds of students to a safe location, and reunite them safely with family members proved frustrating to some.

In a Walmart parking less than two miles from the school, students were pulled one by one from buses and not allowed to go with a family member until school officials and law enforcement double-checked identification.

Shortly after 1 p.m., moments before shots were fired, Tuff, a school employee, called the assignment desk at Channel 2. A man had walked into the school with a gun, and he told her to call a TV station.

“This was his way of sending a message to police, by calling us,” according to Lacey LeCroy, Channel 2 assignment editor, who took the call. “She told me she was the only one in the office with him.”

LeCroy said that according to Tuff, the alleged gunman said he wanted police to back up, and that he wasn’t afraid to die.

Tuff gave LeCroy as much information as possible before there was silence on the line.

“For a long time, there was nothing from her,” LeCroy said.

Then, LeCroy heard gunshots. She stayed on line for about five minutes until she heard Tuff’s voice again.

“They got him. They got him,” Tuff told LeCroy.

Several shots were fired in the front office area before the suspect was taken into custody. Police then went classroom to classroom, knocking on doors and alerting teachers and students there was an intruder.

Fourth-grade student Lori Warner, 9, said a woman on the loudspeaker directed students outside and said that the gunman “didn’t want to harm us.”

“But I’m still mad,” Lori said.

After investigators discovered the possible explosives inside a vehicle in front of the school, the entire student body was evacuated out the back of the school, Alexander said. Then, investigators were forced to cut a hole in fencing to move the students off campus, Alexander said.

From there, school and MARTA buses were dispatched to pick up all students, and parents were notified to go to the parking lot of a nearby Walmart. But it wasn’t a quick process, frustrating some parents.

“I don’t know what’s going on. I’m mad scared, upset, disappointed,” said Tiyuana Lewis, whose 8-year-old son Tarik, was still at the school. “I don’t know how a gunman could just walk into the school with all that security. It makes no sense.”

Several parents noted the school recently installed a buzzer system.

As buses arrived at the Walmart, students were reunited with family members. Law enforcement leaders joined parents in expressing their relief that no one was injured.

Classes for the elementary students will be held at McNair High School on Wednesday, authorities said. Grief counselors will be at the school to assist students and staff.

—Staff writers Ben Gray, Daarel Burnette, Ty Tagami, Rhonda Cook and Mike Morris contributed to this report.

Read More


  • Heavy rain is likely to blame for part of building collapsing onto a downtown Atlanta sidewalk. It wasn't raining at the time Friday, but day after day of rain must have weakened the moulding at the top of the 2-story building on Pyror Street. The collapsed happened around 8 a.m. Friday when part of the building's decorative façade came crashing down. In exclusive video to Channel 2 Action News, a car driving down the street had to swerve to get out of the way of any falling debris. Two cars parked in the street were hit and had minor damage. Construction workers across the street said there was a man walking close by that was given a scare, but thankfully no one was injured. Channel 2 Action News spoke to the owner whose family's law firm operates out of the building. 'We are calling structural engineers, calling emergency crews to come clean up the mess, and then hopefully the city of Atlanta will allow us to open the front of the building to our clients can get inside,' said building owner Karen King. A structural engineer come out later and deemed the building sound.
  • Britain's fire-safety crisis expanded substantially Saturday as authorities said 34 high-rise apartment blocks across the country had cladding that failed fire safety tests. London officials scrambled to evacuate four public housing towers after experts found them 'not safe for people to sleep in overnight.' Hundreds of residents hastily packed their bags and sought emergency shelter, with many angry and confused about the chaotic situation. Some refused to leave their high-rise apartments. Scores of evacuees slept on inflatable beds in a gym while officials sought better accommodations for them. Camden Council leader Georgia Gould said it decided to evacuate four blocks in north London's Chalcots Estate late Friday after fire inspectors uncovered problems with 'gas insulation and door stops,' which, combined with the presence of flammable cladding encasing the buildings, meant residents had to leave immediately. The evacuation comes amid widening worries about the safety of high-rise apartment blocks across the country following the inferno that engulfed Grenfell Tower in west London on June 14, killing at least 79 people. Attention has focused on the 24-story tower's external cladding material, which has been blamed for the rapid spread of that blaze, but multiple other fire risks have now been identified in some housing blocks. The government said Saturday that the cladding samples that failed fire safety tests came from 34 apartment towers in cities including London, Manchester, Plymouth and Portsmouth. Communities Secretary Sajid Javid said further testing 'is running around the clock.' So far, Camden Council has been the only local authority to have asked residents to leave as a precaution. It said about 650 apartments were evacuated, though initial reports put the figure at 800 apartments. The council said residents would be out of their homes for three to four weeks while it completes fire-safety upgrades. 'I know some residents are angry and upset, but I want to be very clear that Camden Council acted to protect them,' Gould said in a statement. 'Grenfell changed everything, and when told our blocks were unsafe to remain in, we acted.' Conservative Prime Minister Theresa May, who has been criticized for her slow response to the Grenfell tragedy, said Saturday that the government was supporting Camden officials to ensure residents have somewhere to stay while building work is done. In response, Jeremy Corbyn, leader of the opposition Labour Party, said May needed to 'get a grip' and lead a stronger response to what is now a 'national threat.' Residents — including families with babies and elderly relatives — trooped out of the buildings late Friday night with suitcases and plastic bags stuffed with clothes. Council workers guided dozens to a nearby gym, where they spent the night on inflatable mattresses. Others were being put up in hotels or other housing projects. Many residents complained about a lack of information and confusion. Officials first announced the evacuation of one building, then expanded it to five before reducing it to four. Some residents said they learned about the evacuation from the television news hours before officials came knocking on doors. Renee Williams, 90, who has lived in Taplow Tower since 1968, told Britain's Press Association: 'No official came and told us what's going on. I saw it on the TV, so I packed an overnight bag. 'It's unbelievable. I understand that it's for our safety but they can't just ask us to evacuate with such short notice. There's no organization and it's chaos,' she said. Carl McDowell, 31, said he took one look at the inflatable beds at the gym and went back to his Taplow apartment to sleep there overnight. Other residents were distraught that they were ordered to evacuate, but were told to leave their pets behind in buildings that could be dangerous. Fire-safety experts say the Grenfell Tower blaze, which police said was touched off by a fire at a refrigerator, was probably due to a string of failures, not just the cladding, which is widely used to provide insulation and enhance the appearance of buildings. Police said Friday they are considering filing manslaughter charges in the Grenfell disaster and they were conducting a wide-ranging investigation that will look at everything that contributed to it. The Metropolitan Police said cladding attached to Grenfell during a recent renovation failed safety tests conducted by investigators. 'We are looking at every criminal offense from manslaughter onwards,' Detective Superintendent Fiona McCormack told reporters. 'We are looking at all health and safety and fire safety offenses, and we are reviewing every company at the moment involved in the building and refurbishment of Grenfell Tower.' The government has ordered an immediate examination of the refrigerator model that started the blaze, the Hotpoint model FF175BP refrigerator-freezer. The government also urged building owners, public and private, to submit samples of their cladding. One hotel chain, Premier Inn, has calling in experts to check its buildings. Police say 79 people are either confirmed or presumed dead in the Grenfell blaze, although that number may change, and it will take weeks to find and identify remains. To encourage cooperation with authorities, May said the government won't penalize any Grenfell fire survivors who were in the country illegally. ___ Sheila Norman-Culp, Gregory Katz and Alastair J. Grant contributed to this report.
  • A woman from Parker County, Texas, who previously claimed the deaths of her two young children in a hot car in May as an accident, admitted that she left them in the vehicle to teach them “a lesson,” police said. Cynthia Marie Randolph, 25, told “several variations of the events” during police interviews, and later said she broke the car window to make it look like an accident according to WFAA. >> Read more trending news What really happened on May 26, police said, is that Randolph’s 2-year-old daughter refused to get out of the car. The mother responded by shutting the door to teach her “a lesson,” assuming “she could get herself and her brother out of the car when ready.” Randolph proceeded to go inside the house where she smoked marijuana then fell asleep for two or three hours. Randolph initially told authorities she was folding laundry and watching TV and realized within an hour that her kids were “gone.” She said they took off. She found them in the car, where they had locked themselves inside. She broke the car window in an attempt to save them, according to CBS Dallas-Fort Worth. Randolph is being held without bail.
  • Dylan Bundy helped Baltimore avoid a dubious pitching record, throwing seven solid innings as the Orioles beat the Tampa Bay Rays 8-3 Saturday. The Orioles had given up at least five runs in 20 straight games, matching the major league mark set by the 1924 Philadelphia Phillies. Bundy (8-6) allowed three runs and five hits in seven innings. Relievers Donnie Hart and Mychal Givens combined to keep the Rays scoreless over the final two innings. Jose Alvarado (0-3) walked the only batter he faced, Seth Smith, leading off the seventh. He was replaced by Jumbo Diaz, who gave up a two-run double to Mark Trumbo and Trey Mancini's two-run homer that put Baltimore ahead 7-3. Baltimore also got a second-inning, two-run homer from Welington Castillo and Adam Jones hit a solo shot in the third. Corey Dickerson and Evan Longoria homered on consecutive pitches in the third for the Rays. Rays catcher Wilson Ramos singled in four at-bats in his season debut. The 2014 NL All-Star with Washington missed the first 76 games this season after right knee surgery. Tampa Bay rookie Jake Faria wound up with a no-decision after winning each of his first three starts in the majors. He permitted three runs and five hits over six innings. Faria had pitched at least 6 1/3 innings in his first three starts, allowing one run each time. The Rays tied it at 3 in third when Dickerson had a two-run drive before Longoria went deep on Bundy's next pitch. Tampa Bay set a team mark with their major league-leading 10th set of back-to-back homers this season. Tampa Bay has sixth straight multihomer games, one off the franchise high. TRAINER'S ROOM Orioles: Closer Zach Britton (left forearm strain) could move his rehab assignment from Class-A Delmarva to Double-A Bowie on Monday. Rays: RHP Brad Boxberger (strained flexor mass) was expected to be reinstated from the disabled list this weekend but has oblique discomfort and will have a Sunday bullpen session. SMITH'S SURPRISE NFL Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith surprised his sister Marsha Smith-Hill, who threw the ceremonial first pitch as part of a cancer survivor salute, by joining her on-the-field. UP NEXT Orioles: RHP Chris Tillman (1-5, 8.39 ERA) makes his 10th start since returning from right shoulder bursitis in the series finale Sunday. He allowed five runs and eight hits in four-plus innings Tuesday, but Baltimore's 6-5 comeback win over Cleveland enabled him to avoid losing a sixth straight start. Rays: RHP Jake Odorizzi (4-3, 3.78 ERA) will look Sunday to avoid tying Wilson Alvarez's team record set in 1998 of allowing a homer in 11 consecutive appearances.
  • Jon Lester gave up a three-run homer to J.T. Realmuto in the first inning and then settled down to help the Chicago Cubs beat the Miami Marlins 5-3 Saturday afternoon. Lester (5-4) went seven innings, retiring 13 in a row after Realmuto's seventh homer of the year. Cubs starters have an ERA of 2.52 over the past 11 games. Wade Davis completed the four-hitter with a 1-2-3 ninth for his 15th save. Javier Baez had an RBI single in the fourth, and his two-run double in the sixth put the Cubs ahead to stay. Jon Jay, a one-day sub for Anthony Rizzo in the leadoff spot, had two hits and scored a run. Addison Russell had two hits and scored twice. Lester beat Miami for the first time in five career starts. The Marlins have only 16 hits in their past four games but have won two of them. Miami's Justin Nicolino remained winless in five starts, allowing three runs, two earned, in four innings. The damage might have been worse, but catcher Realmuto, third baseman Martin Prado and first baseman Tyler Moore helped him with fine defensive plays. Third baseman Baez and second baseman Ian Happ made flashy plays to rob the Marlins. The Cubs took the lead for good in the sixth against Nick Wittgren (1-1). Addison Russell led off with a double, Happ singled and Baez hit a two-run double. Chicago scored an unearned run in the first. Jay led off with a single, advanced when center fielder Christian Yelich bobbled the ball, and scored on Happ's two-out single. Baez had an RBI single in the fourth and scored on Albert Almora Jr.'s double. CUBS FANS SHOW UP The crowd of 25,448 was the largest at Marlins Park since May 13. Some spectators cheered for the home team. RESTING UP 1B Rizzo was given a breather and held out of the lineup. 'I don't want to beat him up,' manager Joe Maddon said. 'We've got a long way to go, and if you ride them too hard, the point of diminishing returns will set in. I've been a part of way too many teams that have been exhausted in September.' Rizzo, who lined out as a pinch hitter in the ninth, will be back in the leadoff spot Sunday, Maddon said. TRAINER'S ROOM Cubs: 2B Ben Zobrist (left wrist) is unlikely to return for the Cubs' next series against the Nationals, and a rehab stint is a possibility. ... LHP Brett Anderson (strained lower back) will begin a rehab assignment Sunday when he pitches for Double-A Tennessee. Marlins: SS Adeiny Hechavarria (oblique), who has been the disabled list since May 10, is expected to the rejoin the Marlins on Tuesday for the start of their series against the Mets — if he's not traded before then. UP NEXT Miami RHP Edinson Volquez (3-8, 4.29) is scheduled to face LHP Mike Montgomery (1-3, 2.26) in the series finale Sunday. ___ More AP baseball: https://apnews.com/tag/MLBbaseball
  • Brandon Phillips gave Atlanta the lead with a two-run homer in the third to continue his productive homestand, R.A. Dickey threw seven strong innings and the surging Braves beat the Milwaukee Brewers 3-1 on Saturday. Phillips has homered in three straight games after delivering game-winning hits in back-to-back games against Miami on June 17-18, early in the 10-game homestand. The Braves have won four straight and nine of 12. Dickey (6-5) allowed one run in seven innings to improve to 5-1 at SunTrust Park. He has won three straight home starts. The NL Central-leading Brewers began the day 1 1/2 games ahead of the Cubs. Phillips had two hits, including the homer off Matt Garza (3-4) into the Brewers' bullpen behind the left-field wall. The homer drove in Ender Inciarte, who singled. Jim Johnson gave up a single to pinch-hitter Jesus Aguilar with two outs in the ninth before striking out Lewis Brinson for his 15th save in 20 chances. The Braves (36-38) are only two games under .500 for the first time since April 19, when they were 6-8. Garza allowed three runs and seven hits in six innings. Keon Broxton led off the game with a single off Dickey. He stole second and later scored on a fielder's choice grounder by Hernan Perez. The Braves pulled even with three hits in the first, including a run-scoring single by Tyler Flowers to drive in Phillips. Dickey did not allow more than one baserunner in any inning after the first. Outfielder Nick Franklin, who was not in the starting lineup, was ejected by second base umpire Jerry Meals in the first inning. Franklin and others in the Brewers' dugout were apparently objecting to the amount of time given the Braves to consider an appeal on Dickey's pickoff attempt on Broxton at first base. It was Franklin's first career ejection. Phillips homered in four straight games with the Reds on May 4-7, 2016. TRAINER'S ROOM Brewers: 2B Eric Sogard did not start after being hit by a pitch on his right elbow in Friday night's game. Sogard walked as a pinch-hitter in the eighth. ... Brinson started after getting hit on the left hand by a pitch Friday night. ... Franklin (hamstring tightness) also was available before his ejection. Braves: LF Matt Kemp (left hamstring) was held out for the second straight game. UP NEXT Brewers: RHP Zach Davies (7-4, 5.40) has an 8.40 ERA in his last three starts and will face Atlanta for the first time this season. Braves: RHP Julio Teheran (6-5, 4.76) is 2-2 with a 1.91 ERA in six career starts against Milwaukee. ___ More AP baseball: https://apnews.com/tag/MLBbaseball