ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
76°
Scattered Clouds
H 82° L 60°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    76°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H NaN° L 59°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    NaN°
    Today
    Partly Cloudy. H NaN° L 59°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day Created with Sketch.
    82°
    Tomorrow
    Chance of T-storms. H 82° L 60°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

Black pickup linked to 3 attempted child abductions

Police in Gwinnett and Walton counties haven’t made a connection between three possible attempted child abductions.

But there is one common link: a black pickup truck.

During the past week, two incidents involving young boys being approached by men in black trucks have been reported in Gwinnett County, according to Cpl. Jake Smith. And Thursday afternoon, the Walton County Sheriff’s Office said a similar incident involving two girls was reported in the Henderson Ridge subdivision.

“We are not saying that they are related at this point, but we are going to look into both of them,” Smith said about the two Gwinnett incidents.

In Lawrenceville, a 7-year-old boy told police a man in a black truck pulled in front of his house and chased him up his driveway last week. Then Tuesday afternoon, an 11-year-old Dacula boy said he was walking home from the bus stop when a man reached out of a black pickup and tried to grab him, police said. Both times, the boys were able to escape.

Although the boys describe different attempted abductors, a black truck was seen both times, Smith said.

In Walton County, two girls said a black pickup followed them as they walked through a Loganville neighborhood, the county’s sheriff’s office said Thursday.

“When the two females started to walk fast, the truck sped up as well,” the Walton Sheriff’s Office said in an emailed statement. “The two females ran home and reported the information to their parents.”

Deputies searched the area, but were unable to locate the suspect’s truck.

While there is no indication the three incidents are related, police in both counties are encouraging parents and children to be on alert and to report any suspicious people.

Read More

News

  • Pickens County deputies are searching for an armed fugitive.  Authorities are looking for Nicholas Bishop in the area of Priest Circle in Talking Rock.  Bishop is believed to be armed with a handgun and on foot after he abandoned a stolen vehicle around 2 p.m.  If you see him, call 911 immediately. Officials say do not attempt to approach him. - Please return for updates.
  • One more time, Doris Payne, the 86-year-old infamous international jewel thief, has pleaded guilty to the usual crime. She admitted Wednesday to stealing a necklace from Von Maur at Perimeter Mall last year, the DeKalb County District Attorney’s Office said. Payne, who recently said she’s been dealing with a possibly cancerous tumor, was sentenced to 120 days of house arrest and three years of probation.  She was also banned from all Von Maur locations and every mall in DeKalb County. Payne, who’d been free on bond, was arrested last month for missing a court date. Shortly after the would-be appearance, she told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution she wasn’t medically able to attend. “I ain’t runnin’,” she said in a phone interview. “I’ve never in my life been late for court. Last month, Payne was deemed too ill to stand trial by the judge presiding over a Fulton County case stemming from a missing set of earrings at Phipps Plaza. Payne has been open about her habits of theft, which she detailed in a documentary called, “The Life and Crimes of Doris Payne.” RELATED: Huge DeKalb center with (at least) 8 popular chains is opening soon RELATED: Cop helps elderly woman who got kicked out of dentist office in DeKalb RELATED: A DeKalb family’s tale of two dead bodies and a crying baby girl Like DeKalb County News Now on Facebook | Follow on Twitter and Instagram
  • A drunken driver destroyed a row of headstones at a historic Carrollton cemetery, causing tens of thousands of dollars' worth of damage, police said. According to police, the driver was coming down Martin Luther King Street on March 19, ran a stop sign, jumped a curb and crashed into the city-owned cemetery. The broken headstones range in date from the late 1800s to 1950. 'And what we discussed is, if one is damaged beyond repair, we'll put something back that's respectful. It's hard to replace it with the exact same item. The families aren't around anymore, so the city will take on the responsibility,' city manager Tim Grizzard said. TRENDING STORIES: Thousands of Georgians could lose food stamps next week 16-year-old in custody after hoax call about school gunman Food prices at SunTrust Park vs. Mercedes-Benz Stadium: What's the difference? The 35-year-old driver, Ray Antonio Baker, was arrested and charged with DUI. City officials said they will ask his insurance carrier to pay for the damage. 'Our plan is to go after the individual's insurance to pay for repairs. If that doesn't pay for everything, the city will certainly pick up the tab,' Grizzard said. Officials said this isn't the first time a driver has damaged headstones, but it's not a big enough problem to put up a wall. 'It's not something that has happened often enough that we need to put up a barrier. If it was a recurrent spot, we would do something,' Grizzard said. City officials said it could take weeks to repair the damage.
  • George Clooney made the rounds at CinemaCon in Las Vegas on Tuesday to promote his upcoming movie, “Suburbicon.” A lot of red carpet chatter led him to use that time to share some details about his wife, lawyer Amal Clooney’s, pregnancy. She is reportedly expecting twins. >> Read more trending news Clooney joked with Entertainment Tonight about the two names he has picked out for his kids. “My wife says I can’t name them Casa and Amigos. That’s the one thing I’m not allowed to do,” he said, joking that he considered naming the twins after his tequila company, Casamigos. “It was just a thought. I mean, you know, it’s a family business,” he joked. Clooney told E News the parents-to-be have not picked out names yet. “I've had friends pick out names around their parents and then it becomes...whatever name you pick they're like, ‘Oh, I don't like that. That guy's a prime minister… Can't name her Susan. You remember your Aunt Susan?’” “I didn't know that we'd have kids,” he told E News. “I was very happy that we were going to get married, and then (a pregnancy) seemed like the next step.' Clooney said Amal Clooney is “doing really great.” “She is amazing,” he told Extra. “I don’t have anything to do. There is nothing I can do to help but make tea and stuff.” The Clooneys are expecting their twins, a boy and a girl, in June. Shortly after the pregnancy news broke, Clooney’s mom, Nina Clooney, shared details about the twins to Vogue. “It will be one of each! Yes, a boy and a girl. That’s what I’ve been told,” Nina Clooney said. “How marvelous! My husband and I are extremely excited.” The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.