GAME DAY COVERAGE:

Kentucky Wildcats vs No.7 Georgia Bulldogs

ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
67°
Mostly Cloudy
H 69° L 42°
  • cloudy-day
    67°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Cloudy. H 69° L 42°
  • cloudy-day
    69°
    Today
    Mostly Cloudy. H 69° L 42°
  • clear-day
    52°
    Tomorrow
    Mostly Clear. H 52° L 30°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

News
Atlanta hospital to announce release of American Ebola patients
Close

Atlanta hospital to announce release of American Ebola patients

Atlanta hospital to announce release of American Ebola patients
Dr. Kent Brantly was serving as medical director for the Samaritan’s Purse Ebola Consolidated Case Management Center in Monrovia when he tested positive for Ebola.

Atlanta hospital to announce release of American Ebola patients

The Associated Press contributed to this article

Emory University Hospital will hold a news conference Thursday afternoon to talk about the release of both Ebola patients currently being treated at the hospital. Dr. Kent Brantly is expected to be present at the news conference to make a statement.

Nancy Writebol has been discharged and is no longer a patient at Emory University Hospital, sources confirmed.

WSB-TV was there as Brantly arrived at the hospital Saturday, Aug. 2, where he walked in wearing a protective suit. A second Ebola patient, Nancy Writebol, arrived three days later.

Both patients had been kept in isolation inside the hospital as they received treatment for the virus.

In a statement from Franklin Graham, president of Samaritan's Purse, he said:

“Today I join all of our Samaritan’s Purse team around the world in giving thanks to God as we celebrate Dr. Kent Brantly’s recovery from Ebola and release from the hospital. Over the past few weeks I have marveled at Dr. Brantly’s courageous spirit as he has fought this horrible virus with the help of the highly competent and caring staff at Emory University Hospital. His faithfulness to God and compassion for the people of Africa have been an example to us all.

“I know that Dr. Brantly and his wonderful family would ask that you please remember and pray for those in Africa battling, treating and suffering from Ebola. Those who have given up the comforts of home to serve the suffering and the less fortunate are in many ways just beginning this battle.

“We have more than 350 staff in Liberia, and others will soon be joining them, so please pray for those who have served with Dr. Brantly - along with the other doctors, aid workers and organizations that are at this very moment desperately trying to stop Ebola from taking any more lives.”

The World Health Organization says the death toll from the Ebola outbreak in West Africa is now at least 1,350 people.

The latest figures Wednesday show that the deaths are mounting fastest in Liberia, which now accounts for at least 576 of the deaths.

In a previously released statement, Brantly talked about his work as a missionary in Liberia.

“My wife Amber and I, along with our two children, did not move to Liberia for the specific purpose of fighting Ebola. We went to Liberia because we believe God called us to serve Him at ELWA Hospital.

“One thing I have learned is that following God often leads us to unexpected places. When Ebola spread into Liberia, my usual hospital work turned more and more toward treating the increasing number of Ebola patients. I held the hands of countless individuals as this terrible disease took their lives away from them. I witnessed the horror firsthand, and I can still remember every face and name.

“When I started feeling ill on that Wednesday morning, I immediately isolated myself until the test confirmed my diagnosis three days later. When the result was positive, I remember a deep sense of peace that was beyond all understanding. God was reminding me of what He had taught me years ago, that He will give me everything I need to be faithful to him.”

In a previous statement from David Writebol, Nancy's husband, he talked about coming to Atlanta to visit his wife three weeks after she was transported from Liberia to Atlanta to receive treatment.

"I have had the great joy to be able to look through the isolation room glass and see my beautiful wife again. We both placed our hands on opposite sides of the glass, moved with tears to look at each other again. She was standing with her radiant smile, happy beyond words. She is continuing to slowly gain strength, eager for the day when the barriers separating us are set aside, and we can simply hold each other. We prayed together over the intercom, praising our great and mighty God for his goodness to us," David Writebol said.

The news conference at Emory University Hosptial will take place at 11 a.m. ET.  Brantly will make a statement at that time but will not take any questions.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

News

  • Well-known civil rights activist the Rev. Jesse Jackson announced Friday that he has been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. >> Read more trending news “Recognition of the effects of this disease on me has been painful, and I have been slow to grasp the gravity of it,” he wrote in a statement released Friday. “For me, a Parkinson’s diagnosis is not a stop sign but rather a signal that I must make lifestyle changes and dedicate myself to physical therapy in hopes of slowing the disease’s progression.”
  • A Gwinnett County family is trying to make sense of the murder of their husband and father outside their home in a Buford subdivision overnight Thursday. The victim, identified as 43-year-old George Young, was shot dead right outside his own front door. He had just come home from working a security job and his keys were still in the front door when he was shot twice. “I heard two loud gunshots,” says his wife Tia. “At first, I thought it was gunshots, but I wasn’t sure what it was. I wasn’t sure if it was firecrackers.” Her brother, who was asleep on the couch, heard it too. He opened the door to find Young lying on the front porch. “I never heard a car speed off. My brother didn’t either,” says Tia. Gwinnett Police detectives told the woman it does not appear to have been a robbery. “We don’t know where the gunshots came from--whether they came from the porch or came from the street. But our ultimate motive, right now, is to figure out what other people heard,” says Cpl. Michele Pihera. She is asking anyone with information to come forward to police. Tia and her husband had been married close to 23 years and she wonders how she will continue alone raising their three sons. “I lost my dad a few years back to suicide, and I didn’t think it could any worse. But losing a spouse like this, I think it tops that,” she says.
  • Jalen Hurts passed for 180 yards and three touchdowns in a little more than a quarter and No. 1 Alabama beat FCS team Mercer 56-0 on Saturday.The Crimson Tide (11-0, 7-0 SEC, No. 1 CFP) raced to a 35-0 halftime lead in what amounted to a tuneup for the team's biggest game. Now, Alabama heads to No. 6 Auburn with the winner of the Iron Bowl facing No. 7 Georgia in the Southeastern Conference championship game in Atlanta.Linebacker Rashaan Evan wasn't getting too caught up in the hype about that game.'All we can do right now is kind of really just relax,' Evans said. 'We're not going to worry too much about Auburn right now. We're just going to enjoy this win and then when it's time to hone in, that's what we're going to do.'They did a good job of focusing on a game that received a fraction of the attention.Coach Nick Saban said Alabama accomplished its goals of playing to the team standard and sending the seniors out in style for their last home game.'I think everybody understands the challenges we have ahead of us and the importance of all those games,' Saban said.The Bears (5-6, 2-4 Southern Conference) also lost to Auburn 24-10 early in the season, when the Tigers committed five turnovers.Hurts led Alabama to touchdowns on each of his four possessions, completing all seven of his attempts and running for 30 yards. He hit a wide-open Calvin Ridley for a 66-yard touchdown, giving Ridley 103 yards on three catches before the half.Freshman backup quarterback Tua Tagovailoa came in with just under 12 minutes left in the second quarter and exited early in the fourth.Tagovailoa also threw for three touchdowns, completing 7 of 11 passes for 85 yards.Alabama outgained Mercer 530-161 in total yards. The Tide has outscored opponents 253-43 collectively in the first half.It was an FBS record 73rd consecutive win against unranked teams.THE TAKEAWAYMercer: Got off to a good start offensively, making it into Alabama territory on its first two possessions and five times in the game. Kaelan Riley was 6 of 19 passing for 44 yards with three interceptions.Alabama: Dominated, as expected, and got a bunch of players on the field. Defense had interceptions from Deionte Thompson, Dylan Moses and Hootie Jones. Had six tailbacks carry at least four times, and none topped seven carries.MOSES' PERFORMANCEThe freshman Moses turned in a huge performance for Alabama's injury-depleted linebackers. Making his first start, Moses picked off a pass deep in Tide territory late in the first half. He had 11 tackles, four behind the line, with 10 solo stops.MISSING STARTERSAlabama safety Minkah Fitzpatrick and guard Ross Pierschbacher were held out. Fitzpatrick played against Mississippi State last weekend despite injuring his left hamstring in the LSU game. Pierschbacher suffered a high ankle sprain in the Mississippi State game and was replaced by J.C. Hassenauer. Placekicker Andy Pappanastos also didn't kick because of a pulled muscle.SENIOR DAYIt was the last game at Bryant-Denny Stadium for 21 seniors, including a number of key players. They left with a 51-4 record over the past four years going into the Iron Bowl. The win total equals the school and NCAA record set by last year's senior class. Saban said he thinks all 21 got in the game.'This senior class has been phenomenal,' he said.UP NEXTMercer finished its season.Alabama visits Auburn in the Iron Bowl with its bid for a fourth consecutive SEC title — and perhaps another playoff trip — on the line.___More AP college football: http://collegefootball.ap.org and http://www.twitter.com/AP_Top25
  • A business owner was helping a customer when a man grabbed his keys and stole his car and guns Thursday.  The alleged thief also got away with thousands of dollars worth of merchandise, the manager told Fox13Memphis.com. Superior’s store manager, T. Ginem, was helping a customer when the crime took place. 'While our attention was towards the other customers, [the man] reached over the counter and took the keys,' Ginem said. The incident was caught on a security camera.  On the surveillance video, one of Ginem’s employees is seen walking into the store and setting the car keys on the counter. Minutes later, a man snags them from the counter and takes off.  >> Read more trending news 'He power walked out of here. We didn't realize the vehicle was gone until half an hour later,” Ginem said.  The man can be seen on outdoor surveillance camera video hopping into the car and speeding off. The manager was not just upset with the car being stolen, he also had thousands of dollars in merchandise taken along with multiple guns. 'I had an AK-47, a 9 mm, and a 40 mm,” Ginem said. This year, more guns have been stolen from cars than any other location. According to Memphis Police Department numbers obtained by Fox13Memphis.com, in June and July alone, there were more than 100 guns stolen each month in the city. '[I’m] extremely worried about the guns, man, because you don't want them in the wrong hands,” Ginem said. A quick crime map of the area surrounding the store revealed eight carjackings and roughly 100 auto thefts in the last two months. Ginem said multiple people have already told him who committed the theft. 'He just recently got out of jail. He has nothing to lose,” he said. Memphis police are now trying to make an arrest. Ginem said he is going to be thinking about the whole ordeal for a while. 'We are looking at least $12,000 [lost], so it is going to hurt my pocket, but it's a lesson learned,” he said. Fox13Memphis.com was unable to confirm the suspect’s identity with police but authorities are asking for the public's assistance. Anyone with information about where the man is, or where the stolen items are located, is asked to call police. Ginem said he is offering a $1,000 reward to the person who leads police to an arrest.
  • The widow of the Grateful Dead's longtime lawyer is auctioning off treasures from their long strange trip with the psychedelic rock-and-roll band.Hal and Jesse Kant's memorabilia collection includes signed artwork by the band's late leader, Jerry Garcia, and backstage passes from concerts spanning 30 years.The Reno Gazette-Journal reports some of the items are expected to go for as much as $100,000 when they're sold online by a Reno art gallery and auction house from Nov. 22 through Dec. 9.In addition to the Dead, Hal Kant represented a number of musicians dating to the 1960s, including Janis Joplin and Sonny and Cher.The Kants moved to Reno during the 1980s. He died in 2006. She's putting the memorabilia up for sale through Stremmel Auctions.Highlights among the more than 100 items include a colorful set of banners used as the backdrops for 88 concerts around the world and a poster from a Lake Tahoe show in 1968, when tickets cost $3.50 at the door.Jesse Kant says she's keeping some valuables with personal meaning, including letters from the band. But she's parting with a wedding invitation from Garcia and his wife, Deborah Koons, as well as a framed, dried rose from the couple's wedding the year before his 1995 death.She's also selling her living room replica of the Dead's conference table, complete with hand-carved skulls and ornate 'GD' signatures on each chair.'I spent my time very happily and grateful with all of these items,' and it was time to let someone else enjoy them, she told the Gazette-Journal.Hudson Stremmel, gallery spokesman, said Hal Kant was responsible for keeping the band's copyrights and introduced Garcia to the makers of Ben and Jerry's ice cream, which resulted in one of their most popular flavors, Cherry Garcia.The collection is one of the rarest the auctioneer family has seen, Stremmel said. The business typically deals with high-end estate sales and bankruptcy cases.'It's amazing. It's kind of a story of his life that hasn't been told,' Stremmel said of Hal Kant.Jesse Kant, who recently moved to the Pacific Northwest, said the band members were close to her husband, an avid skier and World Series of Poker champion. She said they used to cheer him on during card games and gave him many one-of-a-kind tokens of gratitude, including a letterman jacket with embroidered stitching reading, 'Many Thanks from Grateful Dead, Hal.'Besides the jacket, the auction includes two 'LimitDead Edition' golf bags, one signed by Alice Cooper, and two sets of unused Grateful Dead skis, both decorated with the trademark skulls and roses that often appear on their official merchandise.Jesse Kant said her favorite Grateful Dead performance was outside the Great Pyramid in Egypt in 1978.'People actually came to the show on camels; some people sat on their camels and watched,' Kant said. 'And that night, there was an eclipse of the moon, and the children were running through the streets banging pots and pans trying to scare away the shadows. By far, my favorite show.'She said she's often wondered why the band was so loved.'They're such a strange and interesting phenomenon,' she said. 'It was during the time where drugs were a very large part of that culture. The music was always different, they didn't play a set routine, but I really couldn't tell you why Grateful Dead fans are fans. It's a very personal thing.'___Information from: Reno Gazette-Journal, http://www.rgj.com
  • A Montana congressman misled investigators about his assault on a reporter the day before he was elected in May, claiming that “liberal media” were “trying to make a story,” the Bozeman Daily Chronicle reported Saturday, citing audio and documents. >> Read more trending news U.S. Rep. Greg Gianforte, a Republican, told an officer in an audio interview after the attack that reporter Ben Jacobs of The Guardian newspaper had grabbed him by the wrist and pulled both of them to the floor. Audio of Gianforte’s interview with Gallatin County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Scott Secor was released along with documents requested by the Chronicle and other news organizations after Gianforte was cited for assaulting Jacobs on May 24. Gianforte later pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault.  The Chronicle requested the documents in June. After Gianforte, Jacobs and Gallatin County Attorney Marty Lambert did not object to the release, Gallatin County District Court Judge Holly Brown ruled this week that the documents could be released. \The audio of the interview with Gianforte comes from a recording made by Sgt. Scott Secor outside of Gianforte’s headquarters shortly after the 5:07 p.m. call Jacobs made to 911, a minute after he posted on Twitter, “Greg Gianforte just body slammed me and broke my glasses.” Once at the scene, Secor spoke with Jacobs first. “This is the weirdest day,” Jacobs told Secor.  The documents include interviews with members of a Fox News crew who were in the room with Gianforte and Jacobs at the politician’s Bozeman campaign office.  Gianforte told Secor that he was preparing for an interview with Fox News when “this man broke into a private room in the back and stuck a microphone in my face and started asking me obnoxious questions.” Gianforte said he tried to explain to him that he was in the middle of an interview, but that Jacobs kept “waving” the microphone in his face, the Chronicle reported. “I probably shouldn’t do it but I reached out for his phone ... he grabbed my wrist, he spun and we ended up on the floor ... so he pulled me down on top of him,” Secor quoted Gianforte as saying. After the incident Gianforte’s campaign spokesman, Shane Scanlon, issued a statement that also blamed the attack on Jacobs, saying the reporter had grabbed the candidate’s wrist.  Gianforte publicly apologized to Jacobs and told supporters he wasn’t proud of his actions. His spokesman, Travis Hall, insisted on Friday that the documents contained “nothing new.” “No one was misled, and anyone who says otherwise is mistaken. Greg took responsibility for his actions and is focused on serving the people of Montana,” Hall said in an emailed statement to The Associated Press.