ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
53°
Few Clouds
H 63° L 40°
  • cloudy-day
    53°
    Current Conditions
    Few Clouds. H 63° L 40°
  • clear-day
    59°
    Afternoon
    Mostly Sunny. H 63° L 40°
  • cloudy-day
    51°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 63° L 40°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb news on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb traffic on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Wsb weather on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

U.S. airliners warned to comply with China's defense zone

The U.S. State Department is urging commercial airliners to comply with China's newly declared air defense identification zone in the East China Sea. 

Federal Aviation Administration officials are advising U.S. carriers to adhere to restrictions set by Beijing requiring aircrafts entering the airspace to identify themselves and inform the Chinese of their flight plans, or if possible, avoid the zone altogether. (Via WPEC)

According to The Wall Street Journal, the recommendation was made out of quote "an abundance of caution," and follows the FFA's standard operating procedures regarding these types of airspace. 

"But administration officials said this has no effect on the U.S. position that the Chinese defense zone is illegitimate—and wouldn't affect U.S. military flights that are being made into the zone without notice to China."

And CNN reports Japan has told its airlines not to observe China's rules, although a number of Japanese airlines have said they will comply. 

The newly declared airspace lies over a group of disputed islands in the region that have been a source of tension between powers in the region for decades. 

They are known as the Senkaku to the Japanese, and the Diaoyu to the Chinese. Both countries lay claim to the islands, which are a rich source of oil, natural gas and fish. (Via Al Jazeera

China's establishment of the zone over the territory has angered not only Japan, but also South Korea, Taiwan and even the U.S. 

State Department officials denounced the move earlier this week, calling it " ... an attempt to unilaterally change the status quo ... " in the region, which could " ... increase the risk of miscalculation, confrontation, and accidents." (via ABC)

The situation is particularly worrisome for Washington due in part to its current treaty with Japan, which would require the U.S. to defend the country if tensions were to escalate and confrontation occurred. 

In an act of defiance earlier this week, the U.S. and Japan flew military aircraft through the region without following China's new restrictions, and Thursday the Chinese government announced it has now dispensed warplanes to monitor the region. (Via CBS)

The U.S. says it isn't taking sides on the question of the who the territory belongs to, but has repeatedly made clear that its treaty with Japan applies to islands in dispute. U.S. Vice President Joe Biden is expected to visit the region next week, where he is expected to talk with Japanese, South Korean and Chinese officials about the situation. 

- See more at Newsy.com

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

News

  • Investigators have released photos and surveillance video in hopes of identifying the gunmen who killed a restaurant manager during a robbery this weekend. According to police, three men entered Barcelona Wine Bar on Howell Mill Road in the West Midtown neighborhood as it was closing around 1:45 a.m. Sunday, and tied up the employees with electrical tape.  The men then forced the manager, 29-year-old Chelsea Beller , upstairs to open up the safe. That’s when they shot her. Beller later died at Grady Memorial Hospital.  'I think it's important for us all to acknowledge that this isn't Atlanta. This isn't the Wild Wild West,' Beller's friend Tyler Walters said.  @Atlanta_Police just released this dramatic surveillance from inside Barcelona wine bar of Sunday’s deadly robbery. https://t.co/YHueSecqL7 Police need your help. $7k reward for info. @wsbtv pic.twitter.com/QJG5xHIZMv — Aaron Diamant (@AaronDiamantWSB) November 20, 2017 As Channel 2’s Carl Willis went through the new video, he saw Atlanta police back at the scene looking for evidence in the shooting. Beller's friends say the 29-year-old considered co-workers and restaurant regulars her family. TRENDING STORIES: Police release dramatic video, photos of gunmen who killed restaurant manager Out with a bang: Georgia Dome comes down in Atlanta Grandmother says Facebook Live saved her life: 'I could have died' 'She was the salt of the earth. She was the type of person that had a genuine sense of caring,' Walters said. “She loved coming to work. She loved what she did. It was just a place that she felt happy and she enjoyed what she did.' Investigators are hoping that even though the suspects' faces are masked, that someone might have an idea who they are, and bring a little peace to those grieving over Beller’s loss.  “Money is money, but killing young ladies who are in the prime of their lives, that's not who Atlanta is,' Walter told Willis.  A reward of up to $7,000 is being offered for information leading to an arrest and indictment. The Atlanta Police Department released a statement about the incident, saying:  “No crime against our citizens, anywhere in the city, is acceptable. But the robbery and murder of an innocent restaurant manager doing her job is a terrible crime that has shocked even the most jaded among us here at APD,' the department said in a statement Monday. 'We have made fighting violent crime our priority, and this incident underscores that our work is never done. Our investigators are working diligently to find those responsible for this crime. We will continue to focus our efforts on identifying and apprehending violent repeat offenders who prey on innocent people. These crimes are unacceptable, and we will not rest in our pursuit of shutting down these violent criminals.” Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to contact police through Crime Stoppers Atlanta . Their phone number is 404-577-8477 and you can remain anonymous.
  • UPDATE: Coosa County sheriff's officials said the man has been captured in DeKalb County. Channel 2 Action News has learned that an armed man who authorities said escaped an Alabama jail may now be in metro Atlanta. Shane Anthony Vernon escaped the Coosa County Jail Sunday, local authorities said.   On Tuesday, U.S. Marshals told Channel 2 Investigative Reporter Nicole Carr that Vernon kidnapped a man from Alabama and dropped him and the car off in Douglasville. Vernon was nowhere to be found. TRENDING STORIES: Ex-Braves GM banned for life by MLB; Atlanta loses prospects 60+ people fall ill after company Thanksgiving party Jailhouse phone calls reveal aftermath of deadly heroin-fueled crash Vernon is considered armed and dangerous. Coosa County Sheriff Terry Wilson explained the timeline to Carr Tuesday afternoon. He told Carr on Oct. 30, Vernon got out of handcuffs during booking for another home invasion. 'He pulled out his restraints and ran out the jail,' Wilson told Carr by phone. Out of the jail and into the woods we're told he went. He was captured almost immediately. But on Sunday, things changed. 'He was allowed to use one of the inmate telephones in the jail. And a corrections officer did not properly secure the door,' Wilson explained. It was an officer's actions that led to a second escape and now an internal investigation. 'He was able to climb through the ceiling and go over four other secured doors to get to the other side and went out the door again.' A map takes on Vernon's crime spree after his jail ceiling escape. There were residents tied up and robbed on Sunday. On Monday, a family including a 2-year-old child, were tied up as Vernon continued to steal cars, guns and a bike. Finally on Monday night, as he tried to hide a stolen van, he forced an Elmore County man into a car and drove him to metro Atlanta. That's where the man somehow escaped Vernon Tuesday morning and made it to the Douglasville Police Department while Vernon took off to parts unknown. 'It's a tragedy all the way around. I just hope that we can get him picked up before he hurts somebody,' Wilson said. The sheriff said they'll be processing the stolen car and have a better idea of how this happened by tomorrow morning.   CONFIRMED w/Alabama Sheriff: This is the second time in three weeks that Shane Vernon has escaped the Coosa Co. jail. Sunday’s escape was through ceiling tile exit. Now may be in Metro ATL armed, dangerous, authorities say @wsbtv pic.twitter.com/H3VJbpY74B — Nicole Carr (@NicoleCarrWSB) November 21, 2017
  • A high school basketball standout implicated in a deadly shooting remains in jail, but maybe not for long. A judge granted bail for the teenager Tuesday afternoon. The family of Alex Powell, 17, are rushing to get the money or property needed for the bond. Their hope is to get him home for Thanksgiving, and this has made the victim's mother livid. “I'm going to set the bond at $500,000. It's big because this is a big case,” Gwinnett County Chief Judge Melodie Snell Connor said. Connor granted the unusually high bond, insisting the 7-foot-tall high school basketball player be under house arrest except for work or church. TRENDING STORIES: Ex-Braves GM banned for life by MLB; Atlanta loses prospects 60+ people fall ill after company Thanksgiving party Jailhouse phone calls reveal aftermath of deadly heroin-fueled crash The decision came in front of a packed courtroom of supporters. Powell's former high school basketball coach testified Powell has a bright future ahead of him and already had  three division one scholarship offers as a freshman.  “I would have never imagined anything like this coming about,” former coach Eddie Hood said.  Powell is accused of armed robbery and aggravated assault in connection with the murder of Akeem Turner, 21, last month.  Duluth police say he was killed during a set up robbery at this apartment complex.  Powell led police to the other suspects in the case and reached a deal to avoid a murder charge.  “I’m confused, I'm angry and I’m distraught,” mother Tonii Turner said. “I don’t' understand how this happened,”  Because of a scheduling mishap, Turner’s mother missed the bond hearing. She had planned to address the court and can't believe it was granted. We will hear more from the victim's mother next hour, including the unusual reason she believes Powell should remain behind bars, on Channel 2 Action News This Morning. 
  • A jail escapee out of Alabama authorities described as 'armed and dangerous' has been captured in DeKalb County. The Coosa County Sheriff's Office posted on Facebook that Shane Anthony Vernon was taken into custody without incident in DeKalb County Tuesday just before 11 p.m. TRENDING STORIES: Ex-Braves GM banned for life by MLB; Atlanta loses prospects 60+ people fall ill after company Thanksgiving party Jailhouse phone calls reveal aftermath of deadly heroin-fueled crash He is being held in DeKalb County Jail awaiting extradition, the sheriff's office said. Vernon escaped the Coosa County Jail Sunday, local authorities said.   On Tuesday, U.S. Marshals told Channel 2 Investigative Reporter Nicole Carr that Vernon kidnapped a man from Alabama and dropped him and the car off in Douglasville. 
  • A U.S. Navy aircraft with 11 people on board has crashed into the Pacific Ocean, officials said Wednesday. >> Click here or scroll down for the latest updates  >> Read more trending news
  • The criminal case against a Mexican man accused of killing a woman on a crowded San Francisco pier is coming to a close more than two years after setting off a national firestorm over immigration.Jurors started deliberating Tuesday after prosecutors and defense attorneys argued whether Jose Ines Garcia Zarate was a hapless homeless man who killed Kate Steinle in a freak accident or a calculated murderer intent on playing a sick game.The jury of six women and six men is considering charges of murder and involuntary manslaughter. The verdict must be unanimous.Steinle was walking with her father and a family friend in July 2015 when she was shot, collapsing into her father's arms. Garcia Zarate had been released from the San Francisco jail about three months before the shooting, despite a request by federal immigration authorities to detain him for deportation.He had been deported five times and was wanted for a sixth deportation.Steinle's death put San Francisco and its 'sanctuary city' policy in the spotlight, as Democrats and Republicans lashed out at city officials for refusing to cooperate with federal deportation efforts.During the presidential race, then-candidate Donald Trump cited the killing as a reason to toughen U.S. immigration policies. Trump later signed an executive order to cut funding from cities that limit cooperation with U.S. immigration authorities, a policy that a federal judge in San Francisco permanently blocked Monday.But the politics of immigration were not allowed to come up in the monthlong trial.San Francisco Deputy District Attorney Diana Garcia said she didn't know why Garcia Zarate fired the weapon, but he created a risk of death by bringing the firearm to the pier that day and twirling around on a chair for at least 20 minutes before he fired.She said he then ran away while other people tried to figure out what had happened. The bullet ricocheted on the pier's concrete walkway before it struck Steinle.'He did kill someone. He took the life of a young, vibrant, beautiful, cherished woman by the name of Kate Steinle,' she said.Defense attorney Matt Gonzalez said in his closing remarks that he knows it's difficult to believe Garcia Zarate found an object that turned out to be a weapon that fired when he picked it up.But he told jurors that Garcia Zarate had no motivation to kill Steinle and as awful as her death was, 'nothing you do is going to fix that.'He urged jurors to pick apart the facts of the case, instead of swallowing a ludicrous narrative by the prosecution that relied on circumstantial evidence. Garcia called the defense's argument just as implausible and told jurors to look at the entire picture.The semi-automatic handgun used to kill Steinle was stolen from a federal Bureau of Land Management ranger a week before the shooting.Before the shooting, Garcia Zarate had finished a federal prison sentence for illegal re-entry into the United States and was transferred in March 2015 to San Francisco's jail to face a 20-year-old charge for selling marijuana.The sheriff's department released him a few days later after the district attorney dropped the marijuana charge, despite a request from federal immigration officials to detain him for deportation.