Posted: 8:09 p.m. Tuesday, March 19, 2013
By Chris Fuhrmeister
Chris slacked off and forgot to rank teams this week, so we're relying solely on Kevin's opinion. -ed.
1. Vanderbilt -- Vandy looked more like a Double-A club than a college team over the weekend against Auburn -- limited mistakes, front line pitching, clutch hitting. Vanderbilt left looking like the girl at the bar who you keep making eyes at when you're supposed to be having a drink with your actual girlfriend.
2. LSU --A big road series win over Mississippi State. The Tigers are just behind (if not better than) Vanderbilt, and Auburn gets to face them this weekend. My recommendation: Stock up on whiskey and Pepto.
3. Ole Miss --Another club that benefited from a nice road series. The Rebels took two of three from Arkansas in Baum and showed why they will be the wild card in the SEC West
4. South Carolina -- I guess the western version of Columbia is a tough road venue? I would suspect that one the only reasons that the Gamecocks didn't sweep Mizzou was the forced doubleheader on Saturday. Still, USC is loaded, and the SC/VU series will be like a Super Regional.
5. Kentucky --The East's version of Ole MIss -- dark horse, unknown and dangerous. The Wildcats took a series on the road in Florida and everyone around the league should keep one eye open for them.
6. Mississippi State -- Yes, they've dropped back-to-back series (Central Arkansas/LSU), but the Bulldogs are still a solid club top to bottom.
7. Texas A&M; --The Aggies vault up the rankings based on a sweep of Georgia. Some questions still remain in the bullpen, and there are still some control issues to shore up, but the Cadets from College Station could make the SEC West one of the tightest in the nation.
8. Alabama --Absolutely blasted Tennessee over the weekend. This looks like a different club than Auburn saw a couple of weeks ago.
9. Arkansas --The good news? The Hogs didn't get swept by Ole Miss. The bad news? They still have a lot of baseball to play and the SEC West is more crowded than the Boom Boom Room at SkyBar
10. Auburn --I still have faith that the Tigers can turn it around, despite the sweep against Vanderbilt
11. Florida -- Tough home series loss to Kentucky, but the Gators can still be dangerous. However, now they will probably be more concerned with winning enough games to be NCAA Eligible.
12. Missouri --The Tigers took one from South Carolina. That's really the only thing keeping them out of the cellar.
13. Tennessee --Rocky Top. Oh Rocky Top. Not like this. Not getting outscored 34-8 in Tuscaloosa.
14. Georgia --Got swept by Texas A&M.; Welcome to the cellar, Bulldogs. If Auburn isn't careful, the Tigers will be joining you soon enough.